• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft Creator Snatches Beverly Hills Megamansion From Beyoncé and Jay-Z For $70MM

Ensirius

Yeah I would never get into that even if I had unlimited money like notch has. Sorry. I don't need all that room. Nor to live in that area.

Fadobo

...And talent of his former employees. Who probably aren't living in mansions.

Carl Manneh (former CEO of Mojang) and Jakob Porser (third co-founder) also had shares and left after the buyout of Microsoft and are most likely worth a couple dozen of millions each. I also think that Jens (Jeb) Bergensten, lead designer and developer of Minecraft for the last couple of years is pretty well off now.

KyleCross

If I had this kind of money I'd commission a 100% accurate recreation of the Spencer Mansion from Resident Evil. I probably wouldn't even live in it, I just think it'd be cool and I'd let fans go through it for free, maybe make it a haunted house full of zombie actors in Halloween time.

God lots of people on this forum hate successful rich people. The guy has done well and now he is celebrating. I'm sure he is going to have a sick car as well. Let him enjoy himself.

Meanwhile the people at the top won't have those worries because they've been hoarding most of the money their pawns have been making for themselves.

Many people work really hard and go nowhere, too.

So what do you suggest? Every one work for the government and live off ration cards? A perfect welfare state with no one left behind.

Pila

You could probably buy a nice house in every first-world country and still have plenty of money left over to fund Psychonauts 2.

I would fund at least ten Psychonauts games :) but I don't expect him to do it because he has to or something, dude is not superman or santa claus.

If I had this kind of money I'd commission a 100% accurate recreation of the Spencer Mansion from Resident Evil. I probably wouldn't even live in it, I just think it'd be cool and I'd let fans go through it for free, maybe make it a haunted house full of zombies in Halloween time.

I'd buy my way into Nintendo and force them to make a collection of all three Mother games that would be in every major language.

Then they'd make a new Mother game, dammit.

elfinke

Is that a Veyron in the car showroom? While the seemingly unending popularity of Minecraft will forever baffle me, indeed it and Angry Birds are to the current generation of kids what Mario and Duckhunt are to people in their thirties, this story is great and the photos astonishing (wonderful views)!

Well done Marcus, may you live relaxed and happily in that house with people near and dear to you!

I would fund at least ten Psychonauts games :) but I don't expect him to do it because he has to or something, dude is not superman or santa claus.

Haha, that's the spirit! It would be cool if he helped Double Fine out. They aren't the most... mainstream developer out there, but Tim Schafer is a god among men. Markus could help program it in his spare time, which is pretty much unlimited now...

If I had this kind of money I'd commission a 100% accurate recreation of the Spencer Mansion from Resident Evil. I probably wouldn't even live in it, I just think it'd be cool and I'd let fans go through it for free, maybe make it a haunted house full of zombie actors in Halloween time.
Then overtime the costs of running the place would overwhelm you so you would start charging fees and the cost would only go up from there.
Hmmm... This sounds awfully familiar...
Cartmanland_scene.gif

Meanwhile the people at the top won't have those worries because they've been hoarding most of the money their pawns have been making for themselves

Nice stealth edit from slaves to pawns lol

Also, co-ops are a thing. Mojang isn't one.

And perhaps it's a little unfair to hold Notch to the standards of your personal utopia as opposed his own ideals or you know, the ideals of the western world.

Lautaro

God lots of people on this forum hate successful rich people. The guy has done well and now he is celebrating. I'm sure he is going to have a sick car as well. Let him enjoy himself.

Yeah, the salt is overwhelming.

I think it would be weirder if a guy with two billions didn't spend some millions in something like that... I'm sure if I had that kind of money I would need a lot of space for my bitc... companions.

Valnen

Nice stealth edit from slaves to pawns lol

Also, co-ops are a thing. Mojang isn't one.

And perhaps it's a little unfair to hold Notch to the standards of your personal utopia as opposed his own ideals or you know, the ideals of the western world.

Notch is just one small example of a big problem that won't be fixed in my lifetime.

pieman

Neo Member
$70 million and like me he still doesn't have a dedicated gaming room...

Good luck to him, he created a superb game that has helped develop skills in children without them realising.

Pila

Haha, that's the spirit! It would be cool if he helped Double Fine out. They aren't the most... mainstream developer out there, but Tim Schafer is a god among men. Markus could help program it in his spare time, which is pretty much unlimited now...

It sounds good. I would fund a new Psychonauts game. Shit, I would fund a new Megaman if Crapcom really doesn't want to. I would force Disney to sell me the old Lucas IPs. I would end up being poor and miserable. ^^

Oh, and a hot-air balloon. I always wanted one!

Valnen

Well the important thing is that you've planted the seeds of change, here on this videogame forum.

There will be no change in my lifetime. Did you not read my post? I get that you're trying to be funny but I consider this a serious problem with the world.

hoserx

If you make a lot of money, you should buy a lot of awesome shit. Good for Notch. It's baller season. Don't be jealous.

-SD-

Banned
Reading Valnen's posts I'm really glad to have been able to kick envy out of my system ages ago. Such a useless and disastrous state of mind that's comparable to having been fallen in quicksand.

Alienous

Most people aren't actually unaware sheep. They just don't care. "Fuck you, I got mine" is their mindset.

I'll agree with that, and I hate that about people.

I suppose we are all guilty of it. I give as much to charity as I can without making myself a martyr. But I percieve something like the Internet as a necessity, where others might think the same of 14 bathrooms or even just food. And I do indulge a somewhat expensive, entirely frivolous hobby... but it serves a practical purpose in my life that a diamond chain wouldn't.

But man I'd love for everyone on the planet to be able to eat and get an education before we all buy gold watches, cars faster than we'd ever need or utilize, and houses more extravagant than we could ever make use of.

But "I got mine", I suppose.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Drop in the bucket for him.

Might be, but think of the cost it takes to sustain such a house. You can't do the householding and all the repairs over the years yourself and really, most of it is completely unnecessary. Who needs so many bedrooms and bathrooms for instance? As someone who owns north of a billion dollar, it might seem not too expensive, but I think the costs that follow the initial investment are probably enormous and personally, I don't see how it is really useful. Huge waste of money.

Naix

Banned
Buying a fucking giant house in Beverly hills. So cliche. And so un-creative for the guy who made money with a game based on creativity :p

Still, good for him.

Zertez

This is the type of mansion I imagine someone like Tony Stark living in. Maybe he wanted to live like Iron man when he was younger and now he has the money to live out his dreams. Curious how much he has paid in taxes living in a European country now that he is in the super wealthy tax bracket.

Valnen

Valnen on a scale from 1 to 100, how upset are you about this?
At Notch, specifically? He was pretty generous with his employees. They probably won't have to worry about rent or how they'll afford clothes should they need some. So with him specifically, probably close to a 0.

You'll see in my initial post that I took more issue with attributing his success 100% to him and him alone.

Top Bottom