• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Direct (October 27th)

Oregano

Well my beef has always been with 3DS specifically

Nintendo switch is poised to finally give me the hardware and software combination ive been looking for

I just hope the feature set is there to complete the package

As far as this direct... Ill be very disappointed to see yet another 3ds edition but they release a game every year so ibcan happily exit the 3ds space and wait. I got my MH fill this generation with 3ultimate, MH4 and MHX

Why not?

Switch is a hybrid and should please both handheld and console fans.

I've been dying for MH on the big screen for years and I'd feel content with MH5 on Switch.

3DS is just really outdated and not a great piece of hardware to me.

A lot of people will be happy. I'd be happy to move on after 3 3DS games too.

But a lot of people would/will be unhappy as long as it's restricted to Nintendo hardware.

tuffy

I think we are all excited for a new MH game, especially if it's an expansion of MHG, but the 3DS has been milked to death, let it rest in peace and move on to NS, or at least give us a Wii U version for the time being.
The Wii U's a dead thing, but I wouldn't rule out a quick MHX:G up-port to the Switch later. Capcom did something similar with 3 Ultimate after all. But MH5 for the Switch is pretty much a given at this point.

The LIES.

There's more to games than graphics and resolution.

Yup

Talking to your friends, not getting frequently disconnected, not having your hands cramp and hurt

3ds sure was ana amazing a experience. Not compromised at all uh huh

Oh and i guess we could talk graphics that made me eyes bleed but i didnt want to aim low here cuz gameplay is king amiright guys

MegaMelon

Assuming a March release, the usual localization time would put it at a fall release, but I would assume that with how good a job Nintendo and Capcom have done with scheduling the game, they would move it to a less busy month early on in 2018. Of course, that does beg the question if there isn't already a Switch version in the works if that's what the case winds up being.

Then again, they could pull a massive 180 and have already been working on the localization and it'll get a summer release in the west. At this point, who knows.

It's a weird situation for sure. Who knows, maybe Nintendo were serious about the Switch being a 3rd pillar and we'll be seeing MH5 and beyond on the 3ds!
I'm kidding pls no ;_;

I think we are all excited for a new MH game, especially if it's an expansion of MHG, but the 3DS has been milked to death, let it rest in peace and move on to NS, or at least give us a Wii U version for the time being.

Don't be ridiculous, you know this is not going to happen, ever.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
3U wasn't even that quick and lazy of a project considering how it built on Tri and brought back in a lot of the portable 3rd content. It's more or less the G version for two games.

But a lot of people would/will be unhappy as long as it's restricted to Nintendo hardware.
I think the bolded is the bigger reason. That's why I think you're right about these complaints not dying once the series moves to Switch.

Tom_Cody

First post nails it.

But...

It will end up being a dual release on 3DS and Switch, just as MH3U was released for the 3DS and Wii U.

The timing of the Switch announcement last week plus the “sell 2 million copies by end of March 2017” coinciding with the Switch's launch makes this a given. We might even get a shadow confirmation of a Switch release in the Direct, like what happened with Dragon Quest 11. Something like "it will also release on one additional platform, but we can't discuss that today." This will pave the way for MH5 in 2018, which will be built from the ground up for the Switch (or possibly multi-platform).

I think the bolded is the bigger reason. That's why I think you're right about these complaints not dying once the series moves to Switch.

To be fair people have had a long generation of MH on Nintendo now

Its more about Nintendo being able to support an uncompromised experience for me at this point

First post nails it.

But...

It will end up being a dual release on 3DS and Switch, just as MH3U was released for the 3DS and Wii U.
I think that's what's going to happen here, but they won't announce the Switch version yet.
Keep 3DS owners happy and then have an up-port to Switch ready. Another Twilight Princess situation.
To be fair people have had a long generation of MH on Nintendo now

Its more about Nintendo being able to support an uncompromised experience for me at this point
Playing Monster Hunter on 3DS wasn't compromising at all. You enjoyed it on PSP. 3DS was a step up from that.

Kyoufu

Perhaps, but that's on them.

I'm primarily a PlayStation fan and would prefer to play MH on say, PS4, but if it had to be on the NS instead I'd be fine with that.

I just dislike 3DS's 240p resolution and lack of any sharing features. NS looks like a more modern system so that will be fine.

I think that's what's going to happen here, but they won't announce the Switch version yet.
Keep 3DS owners happy and then have an up-port to Switch ready. Another Twilight Princess situation.

Playing Monster Hunter on 3DS wasn't compromising at all. You enjoyed it on PSP. 3DS was a step up from that.

I also played every game extensively and disagree entirely

Ill be interested in what everyone has to say once we get an NS game

Syril

I also played every game extensively and disagree entirely

Ill be interested in what everyone has to say once we get an NS game
The only thing it felt really compromised on for me was not being able to use a keyboard to chat with people. I'm actually going to miss the map and item shortcuts on the bottom screen on a Switch game.

Oregano

Perhaps, but that's on them.

I'm primarily a PlayStation fan and would prefer to play MH on say, PS4, but if it had to be on the NS instead I'd be fine with that.

I just dislike 3DS's 240p resolution and lack of any sharing features. NS looks like a more modern system so that will be fine.

That's assuming Capcom wouldn't shut down any sharing. We can't even take screenshots for Miiverse.

The only thing it felt really compromised on for me was not being able to use a keyboard to chat with people. I'm actually going to miss the map and item shortcuts on the bottom screen on a Switch game.

Dual Screen was the best part ( and also available in the excellent MH3 Ultimate for WiiU) but didnt make up for all the bad you had to eat by playing on 3DS

- Bad controls
- Bad Online
- Bad Visuals
- Lack of features
- Lack of performance (MHX dropped the bar here and was no long 60fps)

And lets talk content. No one would argue that MHX and MH4 were jampacked with great content

But what about Scope? THey had to mostly and very clever take things sideways with improvements because the limited hardware.... like seriously limited

Therefore regardless of how creative the team gets there is a hard ceiling to how far they can push the game beyond its basic framework

I applaud the team for what they are able to achieve with the limited resources they are given but im going to keep calling out the effect those limits have on the MH experience

THey get more pronounced over these LONG lifecycles and repeated runs of the content

Boney

Banned
I don't think they'd dedicate an entire direct to a Switch MH considering there hasn't been any formal announcements yet. But it's not a MH event it's a Direct so it being tied to Nintendo can only make me think 3DS, probably the Neko spinoff, maybe so stories DLC if it supports it and I guess XG could be a thing but seems overkill. There could be a Switch teaser like MH4 was in 2011 but who knows.

If they announce a Switch version, they will drop the bomb.

If they announce a 3DS version, and a Switch version at the same time... Everyone will buy the 3DS version, at least in Japan.

The world is more than just Japan though. They need a Switch version regardless.

Kyoufu

I don't think they'd dedicate an entire direct to a Switch MH considering there hasn't been any formal announcements yet. But it's not a MH event it's a Direct so it being tied to Nintendo can only make me think 3DS, probably the Neko spinoff, maybe so stories DLC if it supports it and I guess XG could be a thing but seems overkill. There could be a Switch teaser like MH4 was in 2011 but who knows.

The announcement text says there will be no Switch/Mobile game news.

And Capcom expects this new game to sell 2 million units by the end of March 2017, so that rules out Stories DLC or a Felyne DX game.

DrArchon

I'm fully expecting this to just be MHXG and the best case scenario regarding MH5 might be a small teaser at the end showing off maybe 1 new monster. And as much as I would love for MHXG to be on anything other than the 3DS, I'm not expecting any news regarding a Switch game or a Wii U port.

And I'll still buy it day 1 no matter what.

The announcement text says there will be no Switch/Mobile game news.

And Capcom expects this new game to sell 2 million units by the end of March 2017, so that rules out Stories DLC or a Felyne DX game.

Ignore me in my less than great moment lol

Kyoufu

I know this is shitty but i kind of hope this next 3ds game bombs. :/

what1.gif

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

This is true, but if it is a NINTENDO DIRECT is probably pretty obvious that it will be on a Nintendo hardware.
I don't see the Switch complain in this very moment as a port-beggining thread-derailing attitude.
Of course, if the Switch comments will continue to plague the MH Nintendo Direct topic it will be a issue.
My 2 cents

Mupod

It'd be funny if they just present it as a 3DS game but show it running on something that's clearly way beyond a 3DS. Like Stories or those bullshots of Revelaitons.

I was thinking that MHXG wouldn't be very exciting but an up-port or better usage of the N3DS' power would probably get me back in. It's MH, doesn't take much...

Looks like a 3DS game to me. Switch would be okay, but are people seriously expecting an exclusive game when the thing isn't even out? 3DS is still the best selling hardware in Japan and therefore it will be continue to be supported. It's Switch that needs to prove itself.

Get a life.

Monster Hunter threads always bring out the crazy.

Lol, you're always in MH threads pretty much saying how you hate its on 3ds. We get it dude.

Well its not like im the only one exhausted by how Nintendo and Capcom drag their feet

The NX talk on Gaf beong a prime example

Sure i should have kept that last thought to myself at least. My bad

Briarios

It should be for a new game in the series called Hunter Monsters where you play as monsters trying to take down the evil hunters :p

Seeing something MH Switch related would be all kinds of awesome, but that's out of the cards right?

Yeah unfortunately but its kind of that state things are in right now

Nintendo is exerting a level of control over info that havent seen in a long time

Syril

Dual Screen was the best part ( and also available in the excellent MH3 Ultimate for WiiU) but didnt make up for all the bad you had to eat by playing on 3DS

- Bad controls
- Bad Online
- Bad Visuals
- Lack of features
- Lack of performance (MHX dropped the bar here and was no long 60fps)
Controls/ controller layout are a personal preference, so I sympathize with you having to play on a controller you don't like.

I've never really had connection issues playing 4U and Generations online, and the interface is such a huge improvement over what it was in 1, Tri, and 3U. One of my friends used to have consistent connection issues, but those turned out to be caused by one of those aluminum covers he had on his system.

You've already been very clear many, many times about how you think the graphics "make your eyes bleed" and how big of a point against games that is for you. Personally, I quite like the visuals, but that's because I generally care more about art and animation than resolution and detail. However, you certainly have the right to your own opinions about what you find visually appealing.

I can only think of two features that were cut in transitioning the main series to portable: free chat during hunts and the larger city hubs from the online modes. I miss both of those, but I feel like you're thinking of something else.

In truth, the previous two 3DS games have abnormally high performance for the series. All of the previous games were always 30fps. I'd like the return of 60fps too, but it's not exactly compromising on the series.

And lets talk content. No one would argue that MHX and MH4 were jampacked with great content

Alright, I really don't know what you're getting at here. You're going to have to elaborate if you expect me to understand this.

But what about Scope? THey had to mostly and very clever take things sideways with improvements because the limited hardware.... like seriously limited

Therefore regardless of how creative the team gets there is a hard ceiling to how far they can push the game beyond its basic framework

I applaud the team for what they are able to achieve with the limited resources they are given but im going to keep calling out the effect those limits have on the MH experience

THey get more pronounced over these LONG lifecycles and repeated runs of the content

Are you talking about how it's had the same framework the whole time with the quests and zones and stuff? It's fine if you're getting tired of the formula, but don't call that a compromise if the only thing it's compromising from is the game that only exists in your imagination.

Kyoufu

Nice to see the home console vs. handheld fight regarding MH is still popular.

every. fuckin. time. seriously guys.

I don't see anything wrong with the discussion. It shows demand for both versions and something I expect to see going forward.

Kouriozan

I don't see anything wrong with the discussion. It shows demand for both versions and something I expect to see going forward.
Yep, played a lot (150+ hours) of the Wii U game, but MHGAF probably forgot me.
Then I tried 4 on the 3DS but my hands hurt after 20 mins so I couldn't play that much.

The arguments wont change until the games change

Are we surprised?

Doesnt matter though. The future is finally starting to take shape and im actually quite optimistic

KkHRV9B.png

Switch or not I'm still excited. Hopefully more MH Story info.

Same here, I will be watching this very closely. My inner childhood dreams are to eventually see MH make its way on to the NSwitch. Killing hulking bosses on the go? SIGN ME UP.

It will be glorious indeed.

Top Bottom