• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Direct (October 27th)

JimPanzer

I don't see anything wrong with the discussion. It shows demand for both versions and something I expect to see going forward.

It's a pointless discussion. A home-console only MH won't happen. If both versions happen the home console version will automatically be held back because of the handheld version, which in turn will give people even more reason to be so angry at handhelds.

It's a pointless discussion. A home-console only MH won't happen. If both versions happen the home console version will automatically be held back because of the handheld version, which in turn give people more reason to be so angry at handhelds.

Doesnt the Nintendo switch flip the argument on its head?

Everyone gets what they want in a much better form than before with options and freedom out of the box

The argument can kind of fade at this point outside of being disappointed that we are getting a potential 4th 3DS installment... Which many are already predicting to be a cross gen title anyways

Im actually happier than my previous posts imply

Kyoufu

It's a pointless discussion. A home-console only MH won't happen. If both versions happen the home console version will automatically be held back because of the handheld version, which in turn give people more reason to be so angry at handhelds.

Nobody is asking for a console exclusive here. Some people just don't play on handhelds and would prefer to play on their TV in the living room. That's all there is to it.

Both can co-exist, especially when the NS is literally a hybrid.

The fact of the matter is that Monster Hunter IS going to be on console(s) in the future. That's not something you can deny because of what Nintendo has done with their next generation system.

Quadratic

I'm excited about the possibilities but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm thinking it's probably a MHXG announcement or maybe expansion DLC. It's really too soon to expect a Hi Def Monster Hunter (unless they grab the Crytech assets from the Chinese MMO). I think it's going to be another 3DS entry. Perhaps only for the new 3DS to address the fps issues with MHX.

If it's actually a new entry for the Switch I'm really going to lament the 3 hr battery life. I like playing ad hoc with a local hunting group. Having to be near an outlet with a power bar or carry around a battery pack would be a hassle.

Jaruru

October 27, [tree] from 20:00
Broadcasting start
Information about the "Monster Hunter" series, will deliver directly from Tsujimoto's Capcom to your visit Internet.
※ does not include new information about Nintendo Switch and smartphone apps.
※ You aired prerecorded presentation.
※ broadcast may be terminated without notice by the troubles on the system. Please note.
※ The software to be introduced, it might include those where there is age limit.

Try to clarify for many

JimPanzer

Doesnt the Nintendo switch flip the argument on its head?

Everyone gets what they want in a much better form than before with options and freedom out of the box

I knew someone would come and argue the Switch is a home console...
Just look at the trailer and see how mich time is spend playing at home vs. playing away from home and you know what that thing is...
Only because it's battery sucks doens't make it a home console, it makes it a handheld with a shitty battery.
There's even some news flying around Nintendo will sell different bundle in different region (so probably tablet only version for Japan).

Just look at the trailer and see how mich time is spend playing at home vs. playing away from home and you know what that thing is...
Only because it's battery sucks doens't make it a home console, it makes it a handheld with a shitty battery.
There's even some news flying around Nintendo will sell different bundle in different reason (so probably tablet only version for Japan).

Thats one way to look at it

Doesnt change the fact that the end user can decide to use it however they want and should have the freedom to not be constrained one way or the other

Its a net improvement over both the WiiU and 3DS from what i can see

They're going to have to make some major changes to MHX/G to get me on board for the G/U release. I got bored with MHG faster than any other MH game thst I've played. The difficulty didn't seem to be balanced correctly for the addition of the arts/styles and the armor skills were so bland that I was never really motivated to make anything after I finished my HR Glavinus set.

I liked the monster selection but it felt like all the best hunts were in LR. I guessing they'll at least address that issue though.

JimPanzer

Thats one way to look at it

Doesnt change the fact that the end user can decide to use it however they want and should have the freedom to not be constrained one way or the other

Its a net improvement over both the WiiU and 3DS from what i can see

Sure it is an improvement, and I'm hyped as everyone else for MH on the Switch. But I think you expect too much. I could totally see them using the same engine for the Switch, polish it up a bit and unlock the framerate again.

Sure it is an improvement, and I'm hyped as everyone else for MH on the Switch. But I think you expect too much. I could totally see them using the same engine for the Switch, polish it up a bit and unlock the framerate again.

Yeah considering this announcement is likely another 1 year 3ds installment with rumors of crossgen you may be right

But at the very least i would get an improvement to the base experience though it might make sense to wait for a native Switch game

DrArchon

I liked the monster selection but it felt like all the best hunts were in LR. I guessing they'll at least address that issue though.

Really? I thought HR was much better just because they at least brought back Kecha Wacha, Zamtrios, and Seltas Queen for HR. Plus HR Nakarkos is way better than the LR version.

If anything the monster selection for LR was more fucked just because they had to include so many similar monsters. Yian Kut-Ku, Garuga, and Gypceros, Hermitaur and Ceanataur, all of the Dromes, it just got so annoying.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I do like Generations, but there are some things they need change up if its another instalment on the 3ds.

For the love of all that is sacred, cut down on the gathering missions. Combine them into one mission so newcomers can understand the basics. It kills my hype when I have 2+ hours of bullshit to do before I can actually get to the hunting, especially wehn Ive done it all 1000 times. Give experienced players an option to skip it, or at least don't make them mandatory.

Add more than 1 new monster and some boring sub species. MH4U was brill, but only adding a handful of new monsters each game makes me feel like Im playing the same game over and over again with only a few new things to look forward to. Make it worth the price point and not feel like over priced DLC.

Give me better areas. MHG did have some variety, but god I hate the marshlands. I get setting the scene, but it looked horrendous, dull, and every area felt the same. Instead of generic ice place, give me an ice place with something unique about it.

More special permit Monsters. These are really cool, so more them would be brill. Would love to see the other 3 of the Elite 4 get one, as I think they have some of the best designs to date.

I guess these are my wishes for MH's future in general, but can easily apply to MHGX too. I just feel a bit worn out with MH4U and MHG, and want something fresh to draw me in. I don't think the constant reuse of assets is helping the situation, but I understand why. I feel as they are reusing the engine time and time again, they could put more effort into making each installment feel more unique.

JimPanzer

What I'd really like to know is if they will implement the style/special move system from X into the mainline games. I'll have a hard time getting used to not having the bushido evade if they decide to drop it for the mainline games.

Nobody is asking for a console exclusive here. Some people just don't play on handhelds and would prefer to play on their TV in the living room. That's all there is to it.

Both can co-exist, especially when the NS is literally a hybrid.

The fact of the matter is that Monster Hunter IS going to be on console(s) in the future. That's not something you can deny because of what Nintendo has done with their next generation system.

I gotta say, it's kinda weird and creepy how many people want Monster Hunter to be handheld only. Like it's not hurting anyone if two versions of the same game come out, one being portable and the other having good graphics/framerate/controls.

Kyoufu

I gotta say, it's kinda weird and creepy how many people want Monster Hunter to be handheld only. Like it's not hurting anyone if two versions of the same game come out, one being portable and the other having good graphics/framerate/controls.

Yep, it's very strange.

I mean, he goes as far as denying Switch can be classed as a console with some weird battery reasoning.

Come the fuck on.

Shinigami

Specially when 3 ultimate was on both a handheld and a home console.

There's even some news flying around Nintendo will sell different bundle in different region (so probably tablet only version for Japan).

if MH5 were developed for the switch, and the switch was roughly wii u-level hardware, that'd still be a generational leap for the series. every single mainline entry has been developed for something of roughly PS2 generational power.

switch kind of sounds like the perfect solution from capcom's point of view. home vs portable becomes a non-issue, development would be relatively inexpensive, and i can't see PS4 holding the userbase advantage in japan for long.

JimPanzer

I never said I want it to be handheld only, it's just every console version we will get will in my opinion be based on a handheld version and because of that not improve that much as people like to believe.

Yep, it's very strange.

I mean, he goes as far as denying Switch can be classed as a console with some weird battery reasoning.

Come the fuck on.

Have you seen the reveal trailer? Please don't tell me everything you saw didn't scream that this is a handheld.
Just because you can hook it up to your TV doesn't make it a home console, if that was the case the PSP Go would also be a home console.

Syril

Funny enough, the Wii U version of 3U had significantly worse framerate than the 3DS version. But with a future Swtich game it's kind of a moot point, isn't it? I'm looking forward to it since I miss playing it on the TV occasionally, and I like the idea of not having to buy the same game twice for it.

if MH5 were developed for the switch, and the switch was roughly wii u-level hardware, that'd still be a generational leap for the series. every single mainline entry has been developed for something of roughly PS2 generational power.

switch kind of sounds like the perfect solution from capcom's point of view. home vs portable becomes a non-issue, and i can't see PS4 holding the userbase advantage in japan for long.

Hence my optimism for the future

Nintendo Switch represents exactly what ive been clamoring for and kind of why i held on to the Vita dream unfortunately:(

Thankfully Nintendo is doing something special while Sony is chasing the high end 4k and Vr markets

I never said I want it to be handheld only, it's just every console version we will get will in my opinion be based on a handheld version and because of that not improve that much as people like to believe.

i don't disagree with this. but even if we suppose this is true, switch is a handheld far more powerful than any console a monster hunter has ever been developed for. (portable 3rd PS3/3G wii u obviously don't count.) it would therefore be reasonable to expect a pretty colossal leap.

i mean, we're all playing 4 and X on 3DS now!

Kyoufu

I would agree in regards to a console version being held back if the handheld was 3DS in this scenario, but since we're talking Switch and maybe a PS4 version, there's not much to be held back there. Switch is a massive leap from 3DS in terms of RAM and resolution. I don't think you'd see anyone being upset at either version.

As 345triangle stated, MH up to now has been based on PS2 level hardware so Switch/PS4/whatever should be a giant leap going forward.

i don't disagree with this. but even if we suppose this is true, switch is a handheld far more powerful than any console a monster hunter has ever been developed for. (portable 3rd PS3/3G wii u obviously don't count.) it would therefore be reasonable to expect a pretty colossal leap.

i mean, we're all playing 4 and X on 3DS now!

The gap between switch and 3DS is quite massive.... Like huge guys

Even if the base the next game on portable Switch specs it will wow those of us that have been on an entire generation of 3ds games

Alrus

But... Can Capcom even afford to develop a MH game that would use whatever next gen hardware it's coming out to at least a desirable level? This is the company that needed Sony's help to fund a sequel to one of their most successful franchise ever...

I'm really curious about where they take the series from now on but I'm not really optimistic about any sort of amazing graphics.

But... Can Capcom even afford to develop a MH game that would use whatever next gen hardware it's coming out to at least a desirable level? This is the company that needed Sony's help to fund a sequel to one of their most successful franchise ever...

I'm really curious about where they take the series from now on but I'm not really optimistic about any sort of amazing graphics.

I dont think its going to be a problem honestly but we really dont know

tuffy

What I'd really like to know is if they will implement the style/special move system from X into the mainline games. I'll have a hard time getting used to not having the bushido evade if they decide to drop it for the mainline games.
I think that knowing the monsters well enough to pull off those dodges is exactly the sort of thing the developers want to encourage. But at the same time, many of the Weapon/Style combinations aren't that useful (Aerial HBG) and a lot of the Arts are just plain junk (Supernova). So I expect some evolution of the current system will show up in the next mainline game rather than what we have now.

JimPanzer

By the way, how many MH teams are there? Wasn't X and Stories developed by the main team? Does Capcom even have the resources to develop a new MH engine next to those two titles?

Vuze

Well, expecting AAA level graphics is totally missing the point considering what is expected from NX hardware-wise. But HD alone would make it worthwhile. And NX should definitely be up for that task considering I played the emulated PS3 version of MHP3rd on my Shield TV at full 1080p the other day.

By the way, how many MH teams are there? Wasn't X and Stories developed by the main team? Does Capcom even have the resources to develop a new MH engine next to those two titles?
Sweet Jesus, you are right. Main team with Tsujimoto was busy with stories. MHX was done by a secondary team led by Kojima iirc. Unless they have a third one, this can only mean MHXG... v__________v

Funny enough, the Wii U version of 3U had significantly worse framerate than the 3DS version. But with a future Swtich game it's kind of a moot point, isn't it? I'm looking forward to it since I miss playing it on the TV occasionally, and I like the idea of not having to buy the same game twice for it.

"significantly worse" no, it did not. I remember the Wii U version being locked at 30 while the 3DS hovered around 30-45. The game was never 60fps on 3DS like people falsely claim. Moot point anyway because the Wii U version controlled significantly better despite a slightly worse framerate.

Tom_Cody

Ironically, Monster Hunter should be extremely efficient in terms development resources. You fight the same monsters on the same maps over and over again in different variations. Further, they spread development costs over multiple titles within a single generation. We'll very likely see:

MHXG on 3DS & NS → MH5 for the Switch (or HD multi-platform) with ~30 monsters → MH5G with ~50 monsters

Syril

Maybe they'll incorporate them into specific weapons. I feel kinda mixed on the style system as a whole, but the aerial and adept dodges themselves are really cool moves that have actual depth to them, and I hope they don't go away entirely. I'm not sure about the hunter arts though. Some of them are neat but when I go back to 4U occasionally I'm not missing them at all.

The real think I'm hoping for is retuning the prowlers. The boomerang skills are so powerful and the boomerang attacks are so safe to use that it feels like a dominant strategy.

Well, expecting AAA level graphics is totally missing the point considering what is expected from NX hardware-wise. But HD alone would make it worthwhile. And NX should definitely be up for that task considering I played the emulated PS3 version of MHP3rd on my Shield TV at full 1080p the other day.

Sweet Jesus, you are right. Main team with Tsujimoto was busy with stories. MHX was done by a secondary team led by Kojima iirc. Unless they have a third one, this can only mean MHXG... v__________v

Yeah portable 3rd upscaled is still the prettiest game in the series in my opinion. Heck even the psp game looks amazing in PPSSPP emulator

They can easily make a visually appealing game with their current toolset

jimmypython

Of course they can afford. With at least 2m sales each iteration using largely the same ps2 level technology and recycled materials for 12 years, it is hard to imagine money being an issue here. It's just how willing is capcom to be less greedy.

javadoze

As someone who wasn't too hot on Monster Hunter Generations, if this game expands more meaningfully on that base (more specifically, that lackluster single-player) and becomes available on the Switch, then I'll probably bite.

thefil

My (sad) prediction is that this is not Monster Hunter XG, but rather a whole new Monster Hunter (let's say 5) releasing for the 3DS after the Switch is already out.

My reasoning:
+ It's been too long since X in Japan for a G version (only 3G was 2 years)
+ X was already a spinoff, not a mainline entry
+ The successor to 4 has to have been in the works since at least 2014, too early to be targeting Switch based on how locked down Nintendo has been with info
+ Capcom hasn't had time to move 12 years of PS2-calibur assets to the Switch's new minimum fidelity
+ Capcom has no incentive to be pushing their multi-million seller to the new platform so quickly

Maybe 5G will finally be a Switch-first MonHun, but probably just rendering at higher res as opposed to build-from-scratch to target the console.

rhandino

Banned
Of course they can afford. With at least 200m sales each iteration using largely the same ps2 level technology and recycled materials for 12 years, it is hard to imagine money being an issue here. It's just how willing is capcom to be less greedy.
To be fair Capcom has been using their Monster Hunter money to fuel some other ventures like that flop mobile division in which they put the earnings of MonHun4.

I don't think the problem for them to put a home console game was money tbh and more like "Why spent a TON of money in a home console Monster Hunter game that is going to bomb in Japan and may or may not flop in the west when we can put those resources into a guaranteed hit in Japan and slow but sure grow in the west"

My (sad) prediction is that this is not Monster Hunter XG, but rather a whole new Monster Hunter (let's say 5) releasing for the 3DS after the Switch is already out.

My reasoning:
+ It's been too long since X in Japan for a G version (only 3G was 2 years)
+ X was already a spinoff, not a mainline entry
+ The successor to 4 has to have been in the works since at least 2014, too early to be targeting Switch based on how locked down Nintendo has been with info
+ Capcom hasn't had time to move 12 years of PS2-calibur assets to the Switch's new minimum fidelity
+ Capcom has no incentive to be pushing their multi-million seller to the new platform so quickly

Maybe 5G will finally be a Switch-first MonHun, but probably just rendering at higher res as opposed to build-from-scratch to target the console.

So quickly?

That one part of the last bullet pint is really getting to me

We are talking about the 4th mainline entry on the same platform here. They have yet to run the series on one platform this long

thefil

So quickly?

That one part of the last bullet pint is really getting to me

We are talking about the 4th mainline entry on the same platform here. They have yet to run the series on one platform this long

I meant so quickly after the release of the platform. Not in reference to the longevity of the previous platform.

I meant so quickly after the release of the platform. Not in reference to the longevity of the previous platform.

Aww i totally read that wrong then

Yeah i see what you are saying. Crossgen support of the next mainline game seems most likely to me.

I imagine Capcom wants something there for launch while still getting a good return from 3DS base

Isnt that whats happening with pokemon?

Top Bottom