• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Performace Analysis

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just noticed the game isnt using SLI. seems to be locked at 60 anyway so /shrug

I really don't understand this comment. the PC ports of MK9 and Injustice overall are superior to the console versions (overall improved textures, lightning, and supporting higher resolutions), outside of the poor netcode. It's not like High Voltage is making broken ports with missing content unlike Tecmo did with DOA5 LR on PC.

Should we call Capcom or SNK Playmore shit devs for making technically identical versions of their console versions of USF4 or KOFXIII and having poor netcode too.

Hell at least the their games have full graphics configuration in-game without the need of an external tool, the same can't be said what Tecmo did with DOA5 LR on PC. Why the hell a developer can delay a fighting game on PC for a few months after the console versions AND netplay delayed for months, even after the game was ALREADY delayed is deserving of the label of "shit"

Do you want to retract this statement now. In light of PC woes?

thelastword

Banned
It's funny that some people can't come to terms with the xbox versions of games being below 1080p native. That ship has sailed many moons ago, when the majority of your games are already subnative including first party, I really don't know what it is that they expect going forward.

Korezo

Here is how MKX looks on XB1:
Similar artifacts to Dying Light which also was upscaled in one direction. Pretty good anti-aliasing for this lower resolution though. I expected a lot of shimmering because that's what 60 fps titles meant last-gen.

Wow that looks so bad and bland.

Burai

shitonmychest57
It's funny that some people can't come to terms with the xbox versions of games being below 1080p native. That ship has sailed many moons ago, when the majority of your games are already subnative including first party, I really don't know what it is that they expect going forward.

Every six months or so some dev source talks to the press about some new secret sauce that will bring Xbone in line with PS4 and everyone falls for it.

I'm waiting for the DX12 fallout. We've already had the cloud, unlocking Kinect's reserved cycles, ESRAM and my personal favourite "Microsoft are better than Sony at software so the Xbone SDK will eventually allow it to match PS4 which will be forever held back by its dev tools".

R_Deckard

That it's 1600x900 on X1? I'm not an official source but I can tell you that it's wrong.
It's sub full 1080 and he was the only one to pick it up and it had been out in the wild all weekend.

He did say he only had a few hours and a full pixel count would come in the full analysis. Some people seem to grasp at straws with his stuff I feel, sad.

I am sure that had he not mentioned it till the full analysis he would be bad for "missing it" lol

Either way good video again I am liking his stuff and game looks good I may pick it up even for the X1

Javin98

Banned
It's sub full 1080 and he was the only one to pick it up and it had been out in the wild all weekend.

He did say he only had a few hours and a full pixel count would come in the full analysis. Some people seem to grasp at straws with his stuff I feel, sad.

I am sure that had he not mentioned it till the full analysis he would be bad for "missing it" lol

Either way good video again I am liking his stuff and game looks good I may pick it up even for the X1
I can only imagine the outrage if NXGamer was wrong (I really doubt he is, but IF he is). We would hear shit like "I knew he was a Sony pony" and "Most inaccurate tech analysis ever". But when DF makes a mistake, which they do a lot, they get excused for some reason.

NEO0MJ

I'm waiting for the DX12 fallout. We've already had the cloud, unlocking Kinect's reserved cycles, ESRAM and my personal favourite "Microsoft are better than Sony at software so the Xbone SDK will eventually allow it to match PS4 which will be forever held back by its dev tools".

They really should stop trying to sell it as a device capable of catching up with the PS4. Still, those things did help up the performance. Most obvious evidence is Killer Instinct, which jumped from 720p to 900p.

Javin98

Banned
They really should stop trying to sell it as a device capable of catching up with the PS4. Still, those things did help up the performance. Most obvious evidence is Killer Instinct, which jumped from 720p to 900p.
As ridiculous as it always sounds to us Gaffers, the casual gamer who knows nothing about hardware differences may actually buy it. So their PR is arguably working.

stryke

Meh. He's put out a number and it's wrong. There's no agenda, that just comes with the territory of game tech discussions.

I can only imagine the outrage if NXGamer was wrong (I really doubt he is, but IF he is). We would hear shit like "I knew he was a Sony pony" and "Most inaccurate tech analysis ever". But when DF makes a mistake, which they do a lot, they get excused for some reason.

I agree, DF makes a lot of mistakes and also try to prefer XB1 in most of the recent face-off even for minor benefit it offers than PS4 major advantages( i also doubt they hide some things). NX Gamer analysis is fair and depth even if its short but he is very good at what he does.

Pixel counters from Beyond3D has calculated 1360x1080p. So, few pixels above 900p.

NX Gamer redeemed!

Great! I knew NX Gamer is never wrong.

I agree, DF makes a lot of mistakes and also try to prefer XB1 in most of the recent face-off even for minor benefit it offers than PS4 major advantages( i also doubt they hide some things). NX Gamer analysis is fair and depth even if its short but he is very good at what he does.

In this case he couldn't even see the obvious artifacts that you get from upscaling in only one direction. He probably just thought "Well it's not as sharp as 1080p, not as blurry at 720p. Must be 1600x900" Master class technical analysis.

Game looks much better in person and in motion.

I agree 100% I think the game looks great for a 60 fps title.

I really hope this doesn't become a new thing here. Pointing out stuff is nice, but claims of a scientific or no-nonsense view? nah

Javin98

Banned
Pixel counters from Beyond3D has calculated 1360x1080p. So, few pixels above 900p.

NX Gamer redeemed!
So it was actually lower than what I said last night. I thought it would be 1440×1080. Surprised the XB1 couldn't handle this at native 1080p. I wonder if other fighting games will also be sub 1080p, aside from last gen remasters. Tekken 7 will be very interesting. Anyway, I knew NXGamer was right. He always had a very good eye for this sort of things.

Exactly! And unlike DF, NXGamer doesn't seem to be biased to one platform or go on and on about next gen gameplay bullshit. Let's not forget that DF tried to downplay the differences in Evolve by mentioning the online matches. They also don't seem to update their articles when AF or other effects are patched in to the PS4 version. Where is their article on this game anyway?

PSGames

Really surprises me about this. Never been impressed with the graphics of this game and was sure it must be 1080p.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member

I'm confused, I thought NX Gamer said the XB1 version was 900p (in work can't watch video)? At least that's what this thread lead me to believe. If that's the case then surely NX Gamer did get itit wrong?

Was there any analysis done or was it just a case of saying 'its not 1080p therefore I assume 900p'? Again in work and don't know what he said in the video, I'm just going by this thread.

Javin98

Banned
I'm confused, I thought NX Gamer said the XB1 version was 900p (in work can't watch video)? At least that's what this thread lead me to believe. If that's the case then surely NX Gamer did get itit wrong?

Was there any analysis done or was it just a case of saying 'its not 1080p therefore I assume 900p'? Again in work and don't know what he said in the video, I'm just going by this thread.
He never said it was 900p. He only said it was sub 1080p from his observations. We initially assumed it was 900p.

Conduit

Banned

Calculate 1360x1080 and you get....ALMOST 900p

Also NX Gamer said : "looks like AROUND 1600x900p" @1:30

thelastword

Banned
He never said it was 900p. He only said it was sub 1080p from his observations. We initially assumed it was 900p.

Some people just want to decry nxgamer. He's the one who constantly gives valid information everybody else misses and no one covers, yet, they'd rather support other analyses because it suits their agenda, most times with outright wrong information and conclusions.

As you guys have said, NXGAMER never said that the game was conclusively 900p, he only said it was in the range in a (preliminary analysis). Any body who has an eye for these things need only take one look at Backfoggen's screen to pinpoint the subnative nature of that screen, yet people want to throw NX under a bus because he called it.

It's also funny that someone mentioned that they were skeptical about nxgamer's findings since the devs said that the game was 1080p 60fps on both, ha! what a chuckle!.... thing is, if I had to listen to devs, I would think that Unity and BFH were 1080p 60fps too. Of course, you also had the diehard DF supporters who said they'd wait on the DF analysis for that scientific edge, so of course more of the usual mambo-jumbo of terms, can't tell the difference between ssao and hbao, can never get a min framerate right, hey, what about the grass in gta or the god rays in FC4, maybe that wasn't scientific enough, analyses heavily dipped in subjective opinion and skewed rhetoric, Hey!

WarpathDC

Was watching some videos of the PS4 version and it seems they have cut some of the blood effects (possibly a german version) in Kotal Kahn's fatality where he pours blood from the opponents heart on his face. At least they were in the preview videos shown via the twitch streams

Maybe it is an unlock in the krypt?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why must this be a competition? Two sources for analysis is not a bad thing, I think. Why shit on one to defend another? I don't get it.

Syntsui

Shit, this game is way more resourceful than I thought it would be. I have to turn everything off an put the resolution to 800x600 to have acceptable FPS. I'm so frustrated right now, I really wanted to play this game seriously ):

thelastword

Banned
Shit, this game is way more resourceful than I thought it would be. I have to turn everything off an put the resolution to 800x600 to have acceptable FPS. I'm so frustrated right now, I really wanted to play this game seriously ):
That's bad, you probably need to upgrade your PC pronto if a fighter is tasking it so hard or you can get one of those cool console deals that's happening right now. I believe there's a PS4 available with BB, TLOU, 1886 etc.. all bundled. Get that and buy MKX.

Why must this be a competition? Two sources for analysis is not a bad thing, I think. Why shit on one to defend another? I don't get it.

Because one of them(DF) is not being fair (biased?) when doing technical analysis recently for over an year from my experience which you can clearly see if you compare both.

Mastperf

Two sources doing analysis is a great thing imo. In cases like this we get info NXGamer didn't have like exact resolution and other times we get details DF might have missed from him. You seem to have an eye for detail like NXGamer but you don't do every DF face-off so it's nice to have him around.

NEO0MJ

Yeah dark10x, DF are biased. How can you not see that? If only I knew the person responsible I'd write them a very angry letter. Anyone have any idea about that?

Javin98

Banned
Too late, people are already preaching NXGamer, take Javin98 for example (no offense Javin).
Dude. I'm not some die hard NXGamer fan or anything. I only love that he gives facts and doesn't sound biased or venture into subjective terms. He was inaccurate in his Uncharted 4 video, though, but he has improved.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member

Oh yeah I totally get that 1360x1080 and 1600x900 pretty damn close numbers wise, but it does seem that 1080pr looks better and causes confusion for pixel counters. I assume it looks better due to scaling in one direction only? I don't understand how if the image is being scaled in on direction the image does not look stretched, does anyone have any good reading?

Some people just want to decry nxgamer. He's the one who constantly gives valid information everybody else misses and no one covers, yet, hey'd rather support other analyses because it suits their agenda, most times with outright wrong information and conclusions.
I hope that isn't directed at me because you quoted answers to my question. I genuinely was unable to watch the video and didn't know what had been said or if some on gaf had just run with 900p! 900p!

ScOULaris

What's weird for me is how the pre-rendered cutscenes seem to be dropping frames/stuttering pretty heavily for me on PS4. Am I alone in this?

AlStrong

My counting leans more towards 1360.

You would actually need to do a reliable count of 120 pixels to differentiate them.

84 steps : 120px -> 1344
85 steps : 120px -> 1360

Anything measured below 120 pixels can go either way depending on which set of pixels get interpolated/upscaled accordingly. (My initial count was 1360, but I could find 1344 if I tried).

At any rate, I'm not sure that it particularly matters as long as we're in the area of it. I'm more curious as to their renderer. Dropping MSAA support on PC would imply they moved to a deferred setup (and couldn't be bothered to support deferred MSAA).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
To be fair Unreal Engine 3 really doesn't get the best out of the new consoles. This game was built in UE3, albeit a modified version. Killer Instinct probably was made in an engine better suited for the next generation consoles.
I disagree. But UE4 is easier to work with.

Top Bottom