• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

dan2026

That action scene from the 2016 movie where she is gun kataing with the proton pack, spinning round and shooting all ghosts, might somehow be the worst thing.
It just screams 'we have no idea what we are doing or what Ghostbusters is supposed to be about'.

It looks mind bogglingly stupid and forced.

So that's why she disappeared? That's a damn shame. I believe she was in a few Best of the Worst's and her perspective as a woman lead to her asking a couple of legitimate questions about plotholes with female characters or writing that the guys never even thought of.

I think for a while there a subreddit was made of people infatuated with her. If so, it's a shame she was easily one of the better members when they watched Best of the Worst videos.

border

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUV8QLpEAc&t=9m12s

Did anybody catch this? There's a shot of the Ghostbusters facing the camera, and in the distance there is a neon Coca-Cola logo. Then the movie cuts to a reverse angle shot behind their backs......and in the distance there is......ANOTHER COCA-COLA LOGO! Was that edit actually in the film or was it made by Red Letter Media?

garbage tier movie shown for what it is.

just got done with the review. They nailed it

And, RLM did the whole review without going near the topic of gender swap just focusing on what a turd this movie was.

Nope. Going to have to disagree with that. Do you remember the Crystal Skull and Star Wars reviews? No HITB was ever as dark as those in terms of all the controversial content. Maybe BOTW but the (bad) VCR stuff lends itself to that kinda humor.

So you agree with me? I'm saying that the gb16 plinkett review wasn't as dark as an average hitb/botw episode likely deliberately due to the drama that has surrounded this film. Keep this review extremely on point and focused on the film as a film with none of the "lol I kidnap and murder women" jokes that might lead people to draw the wrong impression. I think that the next plinkett review will likely double down on the dark humor and be closer to the rest of the plinkett line of videos.

Yeah wow that review was not what many expected , they really only focused on the movie itself not the BS that surrounded it

JCHandsom

Just finished it. Overall a good review, and I think their comments comparing the two films highlighted just how good the original is. They might have even been conscious of the risks surrounding the discourse of this film, because they threw out a bunch of complements to the actors, in particular Leslie Jones, who they made a point to say was the best character. That's notable given how she and the rest of the actors bore the brunt of much the hate for this film.

Basically it's Plinkett with the critique and humor without the kidnapped hooker, dead wife jokes, and kidnapped girls in the basement.

If that's your cup of tea, ehh.

I prefer this plinket

I'm glad it's gone. Always skipped those parts, in fact I don't think I've ever seen the last live action skit for the Attack of the Clones review without skipping it after 2 seconds.

border

The most original and insightful part was about how much time the movie spends explaining their ghostbusting gear. The original film introduced the proton packs and traps and streams by just letting you see them in action. This isn't James Bond.....there was no need for scenes where Holtzman plays Q and has to explain the purpose of every single gadget. There was no need for goofy physical comedy where they screw around with their gear in a back alley.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
this isn't that dead of a horse for everyone though, let's get that out of the way. Besides people knowing the movie sucks many may have not seen it and aren't watching/reading other movie personalities deconstructing everything. Not everyone is keeping up with all of the behind the scenes analysis from sites and other youtube channels.
Most of what they brought up has been covered in their own review though, not to mention by countless critics. It got so much coverage because of the controversy that everyone had to have a think piece out ASAP. It was the movie equivalent of every single "culture" website shitting out a Game of Thrones episode analysis because you need the hits. lol

The advantage is that they can finally use examples, and they actually are able to use the words of the writers against them I suppose, but I don't know. I'm not even sure what I'd want to see a review of these days (I think Plinkett may have outgrown its usefulness in 2017) but Ghostbusters is one that feels redundant.

120v

meh... I don't think this was worth rolling out plinkett over. not really sure plinkett reviews are even necessary anymore honestly. I thought their last takedown of Ghostbusters was just fine

Oberon

Banned
Just finished. It was a good insightful video.

I think they might have seen some of the fallout from the Scientist Man video and decided not to go down that route.

If thats the case, good on them.

I feel like this review was suppose to "set things right" after their last video on GB

The most original and insightful part was about how much time the movie spends explaining their ghostbusting gear. The original film introduced the proton packs and traps and streams by just letting you see them in action. This isn't James Bond.....there was no need for scenes where Holtzman plays Q and has to explain the purpose of every single gadget. There was no need for goofy physical comedy where they screw around with their gear in a back alley.

You can ALWAYS tell the difference between a good comedy and a typically shit on by how reliant they are on ad-libbed pratfalls.

Just finished it. Overall a good review, and I think their comments comparing the two films highlighted just how good the original is. They might have even been conscious of the risks surrounding the discourse of this film, because they threw out a bunch of complements to the actors, in particular Leslie Jones, who they made a point to say was the best character. That's notable given how she and the rest of the actors bore the brunt of much the hate for this film.

I'm glad it's gone. Always skipped those parts, in fact I don't think I've ever seen the last live action skit for the Attack of the Clones review without skipping it after 2 seconds.

If you go back and rewatch their original gb16 hitb those comments were largely in that video (fieg has done good work, these actresses have done good work, leslie jones stole the show, the fact they're women isn't the problem) though they were obviously in a much drunken stupor when doing it.

Zabka

Just finished and once it gets going it's great. Like the best Plinkett reviews he makes great use of behind the scenes footage and the commentary track to have the people involved rip apart their own movie.

So you agree with me? I'm saying that the gb16 plinkett review wasn't as dark as an average hitb/botw episode likely deliberately due to the drama that has surrounded this film. Keep this review extremely on point and focused on the film as a film with none of the "lol I kidnap and murder women" jokes that might lead people to draw the wrong impression. I think that the next plinkett review will likely double down on the dark humor and be closer to the rest of the plinkett line of videos.

Whoops my bad then. Must have misread your post.

phanphare

Banned

they said the same thing in their HitB review too

Fat4all

Banned
If you go back and rewatch their original gb16 hitb those comments were largely in that video (fieg has done good work, these actresses have done good work, leslie jones stole the show, the fact they're women isn't the problem) though they were obviously in a much drunken stupor when doing it.

Ackroyd.gif

JCHandsom

they said the same thing in their HitB review too

That's good to hear. I mostly steered clear of the HitB review because it came out at the height of the attacks against the film. They are definitely talented people and RLM did good in making a point of it.

Plinkett is right, it's all Bill Murray's fault.

Ramis and Aykroyd wanted to make a part III for years. Murray was the holdout and was smug jerk face for it.

at least we got the 2009 videogame , that will be our GB3

I had heard they broke up but eh, this has nothing to do with the video.
Yeah. She's been gone for over two years now and they even made a new BotW intro with all her clips removed. She was great on video, but she's gone and people should move on as well.

Plinkett is right, it's all Bill Murray's fault.

Ramis and Aykroyd wanted to make a part III for years. Murray was the holdout and was smug jerk face for it.

at least we got the 2009 videogame , that will be our GB3

But just a sec.

GB2 was not very good. At all.

Why make a third? Seriously.

Is it entirely possible that Murray was the only one that saw it would be a mistake? His career was arguably doing the best amongst them. You can't fault the guy with not wanting to follow up a stinker sequel with a worse one.

Shaanyboi

Banned

It's the fact that they've made previous statements regarding diversity, this movie, etc. that gave people pause. Myself included. If nothing else, the fact they atleast avoid that kind of questionable criticism or the controversy around the casting shows that they're atleast cognizant that perhaps it's a bad look. Either they didn't want to get heat for saying something questionable, or maybe they know that shit would risk validating the less desirable parts of their fanbase.

Either way, the video is better for it.

Top Bottom