• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Thought this review was a lot fairer than the controversy would lead you to believe. It also helped that Plinkett kept the gross out humour to a minimum. A return to form, I think.

Plinkett is right, it's all Bill Murray's fault.

Ramis and Aykroyd wanted to make a part III for years. Murray was the holdout and was smug jerk face for it.

at least we got the 2009 videogame , that will be our GB3

Yeah to this day i imagine the game as a official licensed game to the movie GB 3 that actually came out in my head.

He even makes a great point in the review that a old GB cast would have worked what you cant say about Indiana Jones.

Fuck now i remember they making a Indiana Jones 5. This gonna suck again.

But just a sec.

GB2 was not very good. At all.

Why make a third? Seriously.

Is it entirely possible that Murray was the only one that saw it would be a mistake? His career was arguably doing the best amongst them. You can't fault the guy with not wanting to follow up a stinker sequel with a worse one.

at the time, GB2 did not seem good, but if you watch it again today; it's actually pretty good and lovable

Not

Banned
Thought this review was a lot fairer than the controversy would lead you to believe. It also helped that Plinkett kept the gross out humour to a minimum. A return to form, I think.

I'll guess I'll check it out. I'm still hoping they at least mention that male fragility played an enormous part in the size of the outrage, regardless of the studio's greedy, cynical ambition and the film's mistakes.

But I know that's not usually what they target. That's fine. Hope to be impressed, watching now.

Spaghetti

Seeing the reboot and the original basically side by side like that... whew.

I kind of knew what to expect going in, and the video pretty much reflects my own views on GB2016 and how it was made, but it really hits home how the ball was dropped so fucking hard by everyone in a major creative position on the reboot.

Finished it. Not bad. Nothing super enlightening. But, I'm childish enough to enjoy watching something I think is shit get critiqued in a slightly hyperbolic way.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'll guess I'll check it out. I'm still hoping they at least mention that male fragility played an enormous part in the size of the outrage, regardless of the studio's greedy, cynical ambition and the film's mistakes.

But I know that's not usually what they target. That's fine. Hope to be impressed, watching now.
They don't touch the internet reception of the film at all. That's something they already did in a previous video anyway, and it bit them hard.

JABEE

Just finished watching everything. I thought it was a pretty great breakdown of the film and why it doesn't work.

The "if you lean, you can clean" remark is spot-on. Talented people without direction and the actors taking over the production. I would say it's a case of the writers not having a clear picture of what the movie should be, and they were hopeful that the talent could guide them to a good film.

Feig and Appatow worked on Freaks and Geeks together, so it makes sense. I don't think Feig was confident in the film on the page.

I disagree with the Plinkett character about Freaks and Geeks though!

RLM has only made one mediocre-to-bad Plinkett review (Star Wars Retrospective). Titanic is a stand-out one to watch and I think this one is pretty great.

It wasn't well received because it's basically the first movie, just... again.

It has it's moments.

I've gone on this rant enough on here, but yeah. People saying GB2 is bad are full of fucking shit. Massively disappointing? Yes. Bad? No. I don't know how you can say that when it is such a retread of the first movie. It's still enjoyable seeing those characters together with some new jokes, bigger budget, better villain, and better soundtrack. It's a perfectly fine, lazy as fuck, sequel.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I wouldn't be surprised. Even as a 80s kid who owned dozens of Transformers, I never cared for the show.

A Plinkett review of the Bayformers series would go something like this:

Plinkett: "Remember when Transformers was good?"

*Cut to random clip from the shitty 80s TV series*

Plinkett: "oh"
You might want to check out Lindsay Elis' reviews on the Transformers movies, though her style is less hyperbolic youtuber shit and more actual film analysis.

Ghostbusters: 9/10
Ghostbusters 2: 6/10
Ghostbusters 2016: 5/10

But Freaks and Geeks is a 10/10 all the way and I will not stand for any slighting towards it

I wouldnt call Ghostbusters 2 good but not bad either. It is a fine, watchable movie and has its charm what you cant say about the terrible 2016 movie.

Also its has Vigo the motherfucking Carpathian.

border

Let's really not kid ourselves -- Ghostbusters 3 with Murray, Ackroyd, Ramis, and Hudson probably wouldn't have been that good either (especially if Murray's heart wasn't in it). This is really a "the grass is always greener" scenario.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I wouldnt call Ghostbusters 2 good but not bad either. It is a fine, watchable movie and has its charm what you cant say about the 2016 movie.

Also its has Vigo the motherfucking Carpathian.

Ghostbusters 2 is pretty good when it does new stuff like Vigo, but when it dips in to just repeating the first one it's pretty tired.

It's the fact that they've made previous statements regarding diversity, this movie, etc. that gave people pause. Myself included. If nothing else, the fact they atleast avoid that kind of questionable criticism and the controversy around the casting etc. shows that they're atleast cognizant that perhaps it's a bad look. Either they didn't want to get heat for saying something questionable, or maybe they know that shit would risk validating the less desirable parts of their fanbase.

I don't think they'd suggest the film would have been better served fully embracing the lesbian ghostbuster by giving her a female love interest if that was the case. There comments in this video (along with their gb16 hitb) shows that the controversy surrounding the film and the casting was never something they cared much about, they just looked at the film as a film. They went out of there way to establish how talented and qualified the director and four female leads were. I've always felt their comments on diversity didn't come from a place of the out of touch white man, but that of film buffs who see the trends in casting and film production same way they commented on the fuck it make shit that'll be profitable in china during the mummy 17 review. If you want to have a discussion about how that mindset is bad because it helps to embolden the scum of the internet to actually be hurtful and destructive that's a much bigger discussion then this thread on plinkett's gb16 review.

Nephtis

I think I agree with every single point he made in the review.

He acknowledges that the cast are fantastic and can be really funny. He gave a lot of props to Leslie Jones, too. He also acknowledged some of the good points of the movie - or at least, potentially good. He is also absolutely right about the talking in the movie. There's far, far too much talking.

He squarely puts the blame in the director and the writers. The actors could only do so much with what they're given - and when you let the cast take control of the movie instead of the director, you are guaranteed a fail.

This movie could have been so much more, but it ended up being a huge disappointment. Hell, the review was far more entertaining than the movie was. I'd probably have left the theater less upset if I saw that instead of the movie.

Mr_Moogle

I didn't realise people hated on Ghostbusters 2. I always preferred it to the original. The villain in the painting scared the the shit out of me.

I've gone on this rant enough on here, but yeah. People saying GB2 is bad are full of fucking shit. Massively disappointing? Yes. Bad? No. I don't know how you can say that when it is such a retread of the first movie. It's still enjoyable seeing those characters together with some new jokes, bigger budget, better villain, and better soundtrack. It's a perfectly fine, lazy as fuck, sequel.

It's bookends are legitimately funny, with the guys basically being has-beens or never-weres who rode a wave into passing Z-list celebrity to make ends meet, and the end with all the Vigo stuff has some excellent gags and line reads.

But the 2nd reel is a SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG and hits so many of the same beats that you can't help but view it as being utterly cynical and lazy. Plus it's obvious through the whole thing who completely checked out Bill Murray was.

Let's really not kid ourselves -- Ghostbusters 3 with Murray, Ackroyd, Ramis, and Hudson probably wouldn't have been that good either (especially if Murray's heart wasn't in it). This is really a "the grass is always greener" scenario.

I am super torn on this. I used to be fully on Murray's side, thinking he was right in not wanting to do it 'cause I couldn't imagine anything of value coming of it. But, there's also that part of me that's just like "fuck it, I would have liked for them to give it another go."

I'll say this, I guess. I hope he read any pitches, or talked to people about it. If he heard the ideas and said no, I trust his judgement. If he just put his foot down and insisted on never doing it without hearing a word of it, then that fucking sucks.

And a Ghostbusters written/directed by Max Landis CERTAINLY wouldn't have been any good

I mean I certainly don't think it would have been great. But had Murray been motivated to do it, Akroyd's early script was apparently pretty well received and they could have "handed off" the franchise gracefully.

But yeah since Bill was adamant that he wasn't gonna do it no matter what it was never gonna work even if some form of obligation got him into it.

K.Sabot

Looking back, we as society are gonna have to live with the fact that this movie was "certified fresh on rotten tomatoes".

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I am super torn on this. I used to be fully on Murray's side, thinking he was right in not wanting to do it 'cause I couldn't imagine anything of value coming of it. But, there's also that part of me that's just like "fuck it, I would have liked for them to give it another go."

I'll say this, I guess. I hope he read any pitches, or talked to people about it. If he heard the ideas and said no, I trust his judgement. If he just put his foot down and insisted on never doing it without hearing a word of it, then that fucking sucks.

Him and Ramis were not on good terms if I am not mistaken. Chances are that sadly was a big reason.

With Ramis gone this is something we'll argue till the cows come home.

We're now in a timeline where there will almost certainly never be an "old" GB movie. Murray pretty much saw to that all by himself, even with Ramis and Akroyd trying for another film.

What we have now is a reality where Ramis is gone, Akroyd has given up, Murray doesn't care, and Hudson is just kind of "whatevs." GB2016 exists and we're just going to have to hope another "new" GB movie perhaps turns out better.

People that didn't like GB2 aren't full of fucking shit. They just didn't like the movie.

Try not to take it personally. It was a lazy, phoned in retread. Massively disappointing, to use your own characterization of it.

phanphare

Banned
Looking back, we as society are gonna have to live with the fact that this movie was "certified fresh on rotten tomatoes".

a lot of shit movies are certified fresh and a lot of amazing movies are at like 30% on rotten tomatoes

it really doesn't mean much of anything

There were enough good ideas between gb2, gb 09 game, and gb16 for at least 2 really good sequels to the original ghost busters.

Heck you could merge gb2 (cashing in off of the brand name and saving the world to be z list celebrities trying to make ends meet) and gb16 (new young cast enthusiastic about the paranormal) and made a fantastic soft reboot.

inky

That joke about a Sony exec pacing behind the director and chastising him because there are pauses in the movie and people will get bored might not be an accurate representation of how it actually happens, but fuck if it doesn't nail how a lot of other media is being produced. It's hard to say if it's mostly the director's style in this case, or if it's being exacerbated by the editor/studio mandate, or a weird mix of all, but it's obnoxious and ironically, self defeating.

They've talked about it before briefly (like in the Star Trek Into Darkness hitb) and Jay regularly makes fun of it and how audiences will just get bored if they are not sensory assaulted every second. Heck, like youtube videos with quick cuts every 2 seconds with actual metrics backing up the idea that people will give up on them if you don't have them in.

In the end, the video made me think more about how a Wiig written movie would've worked better. No doubt it would be much more character focused but heck, feels the thing was fucked from the start.

Society has completely moved on. Movie came and went without the world paying any mind. This late review will be the most people have talked about the movie since opening weekend.

Doubt any of the RLM guys have any kind of passion towards the Tranformers franchise as a whole.

No, they don't. They discussed this in their Power Rangers review. They don't see it as anything more than a toy commercial, so naturally Bay's films aren't anything other than just bad movies to them. It obviously isn't personal to Mike n' Jay in the same way Ghostbusters, Star Wars and Star Trek are. I don't see much value in doing full Plinkett reviews for them.

ZeroGravity

I feel like this review was suppose to "set things right" after their last video on GB
Or, more likely, there were a multitude of problems this movie had, and both videos address different aspects of why it was a failure from start to finish.

EGM1966

I'll watch it later when I have time but...

Still better than 2 though
While not nearly as good as the original GB2 has better jokes, performances, villain and direction and has far better scares than the reboot so nah... no even close. The reboot is poor to mediocre at best whereas GB2 is solid and pretty fun just too similar to the original. Just Venkman's show and Egon's experiments put GB2 ahead of the reboot.

JABEE

I think this review highlights how much the original group were in it for the money and less about helping people.

Yeah. I think Ghostbusters is just a good movie. It's no Blues Brothers, but Ghostbusters was about guys starting their own business and acting like schlubby exterminators.

Bill Murray is taking Dan Aykroyd for a ride because he was way into Ghosts.

I hope they never try to remake Blues Brothers again. Not like this.

Wall

I haven't seen any of the commentary around these movies explore the various cultural currents that the original Ghostbusters tapped into that would be difficult for any potential sequel or reboot to recreate. I'm thinking of things like the fascination with the occult, the paranormal, and apocalyptic endtimes prophecies that the was prevalent around the time of the original movies release, as well as the perception of NYC as a decaying formerly great city filled with assholes and dysfunctional people - very gothic.

It didn't help for the present movie that Sony wanted it to the the Avengers.

Top Bottom