• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS eliminates its best new feature: 10 person, 60 min Family Sharing plan for Xbone

Edit: Well, screw that. I'm still calling him a liar.

If it was such a good plan, they EASILY could have kept it for digital purchases. Killing it off means they have something to hide. There is NO relation between Family share and this DRM.

avaya

Ding Ding Ding We Have A Winner

Microsoft already announced that for accessing your games over the cloud when you go to somebody else's house, there would be an internet check every hour as opposed to every 24 hours. Family sharing is, you guessed it, accessing full games over the cloud similar to someone signing in with their account elsewhere, hence restricted to an internet check every hour. Family sharing wasn't a demo, it was the full game. The blog is as bogus as it gets, and I place absolutely no weight on the fact that cboat is seeming to say its true, because it's so safe to jump in and say something is true when it has seemingly been shelved, at least for the time being.

Embarrassing yourself. I thought it couldn't get worse than your "maths moments" a couple weeks ago.

Edit: Well, screw that. I'm still calling him a liar.

If it was such a good plan, they EASILY could have kept it for digital purchases. Killing it off means they have something to hide. There is NO relation between Family share and this DRM.
It is pretty obvious that this decision was made extremely quickly.
You can tell from the fact that they reverted to their exact 360 policies, as well as from Major Nelson's denying that they are going to change anything just a few days before.

I'm sure we'll see it come back for digital purchases as they figure everything out.

It's cancelled; they can claim it was as awesome as they want.

Or people can claim whatever they want as well and say it was only demos.

I'll take confirmation from MS on this one. They usually post that they don't respond to rumors, but on this one they're saying so. Hopefully they come up with something else for digital games.

Embarrassing yourself. I thought it couldn't get worse than your "maths moments" a couple weeks ago.

Believe whatever you want, but family sharing was no time limit demo. It was limited by nothing other than the number of people allowed to be on simultaneously and a required internet connection check every hour.

Welp, in the end, still:

iy5PR3GAEhhY0.gif

Tobor

I don't know whom to believe anymore. This feature was cancelled anyway, so Microsoft can tell what they want. I want to believe them, but to be able to share a game with 10 friends sounds unreal.

At this point, I don't trust anything a Microsoft employee says that can't be proven with evidence.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't know whom to believe anymore. This feature was cancelled anyway, so Microsoft can tell what they want. I want to believe them, but to be able to share a game with 10 friends sounds unreal.

Not to mention Greenberg is under no obligation to tell the truth on twitter.

Or people can claim whatever they want as well and say it was only demos.

I'll take confirmation from MS on this one. They usually post that they don't respond to rumors, but on this one they're saying so. Hopefully they come up with something else for digital games.

So a trusted source that was right several times, says is a demo thing, but you still believe a company that lies it's customers and every oportunity.

Ok.

The weirdest thing about family sharing plan is that Microsoft didn't play it up to be this awesome feature that would revolutionize gaming.

That right there is what makes me think there was a catch of some sort.

That tweet conversation was almost literally:

'So how awesome was family sharing supposed to be?'

'So awesome!'

/dead lol

Believe whatever you want, but family sharing was no time limit demo. It was limited by nothing other than the number of people allowed to be on simultaneously and a required internet connection check every hour.

So how was this system supposed to support the closed-loop ecosystem that pubs so desperately wanted to rake in revenue beyond the initial sale if 1 purchase = 11 copies of the game in circulation with 10 of them not sending a penny back?

Microsoft already announced that for accessing your games over the cloud when you go to somebody else's house, there would be an internet check every hour as opposed to every 24 hours. Family sharing is, you guessed it, accessing full games over the cloud similar to someone signing in with their account elsewhere, hence restricted to an internet check every hour. Family sharing wasn't a demo, it was the full game. The blog is as bogus as it gets, and I place absolutely no weight on the fact that cboat is seeming to say its true, because it's so safe to jump in and say something is true when it has seemingly been shelved, at least for the time being.

poor guy

So a trusted source that was right several times, says is a demo thing, but you still believe a company that lies it's customers and every oportunity.

Ok.

Trusted source or not, doesn't mean at times a trusted source can be wrong on things. The end fact doesn't change. Either way it is, nobody has to worry about it now.

If that's the case then MS did a horrible job of messaging/promoting it.
Yep.
Microsoft killed any possibility of their vision being great by their terrible communication.

He didn't posted again to say we were wrong in our assumptions. He did other times.

It is possible that Microsoft had a separate 1 hour demo system for trying any game that CBOAT confused for the family sharing.
Or that you can only access your library on a friend's Xbox for an hour when not connected to the internet.

I cant believe people are still clinging on to this. Do you guys genuinely believe any publisher would have been ok with this? Like ANYONE?

They want to kill used games because that usually hurts them with 1-2 subsequent sales. But they would happily jump onto one guy paying and 10 people playing. Sure.

Rico Tubbs

Neo Member
Not to mention Greenberg is under no obligation to tell the truth on twitter.

This is the same Aaron Greenberg that tried to play down the Adam Orth mess by publicly not acknowledging his existence on twitter. Sure it was very possible that Greenberg didn't know Orth personally, but it still wasn't very smart to tweet that out at the time. Especially when all that DRM essentially turned out to be true a month later. All it took was a simple check of Orth's twitter profile or his employment status in the company to know that Orth was associated with Xbox and had knowledge of their future policies.

ypo

You would need to be brain dead if you were to believe a company that wanted to kill used games was going to let 10 people play a game for free. How stupid can you get?

Maybe you can play the full game (when you are logged IN to your own account) but when other people on your plan are logged in, they get the time trial?

Plus as of now, they aren't implementing is, so they can claim that the family plan did your homework and cleaned your car for all that it matters

There was no time trial. It's very popular for people to just dismiss everything anybody at Microsoft says as a lie, but not everything they say is a lie.

Tfault

You would need to be brain dead if you were to believe a company that wanted to kill used games was going to let 10 people play a game for free. How stupid can you get?

Agreed.

It's just not credible that Microsoft would go to all the trouble of pushing DRM, which effectively was to control gamers sharing/selling of used games and then would introduce a policy which basically would simply allow 9 out of 10 people to share games (be it one at a time).

What do you think the publishers would say to a policy like that.

Sorry not credible at all.

MogCakes

Wow dude, you really don't give up do you? I'll take CBOAT's word (and track record) over yours any day of the week.

2. athanku alLL doubtersn ivirals, youre bitter tearzr are my bidet

Yeah that's a really good point. Cboat only ever shares info with us when it's impossible to verify, as such he has zero track record here for ever being correct. I only wish you'd shared this earlier or perhaps the thread wouldn't be so out of control.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

XboxOne still allowed you to sell and buy used games.
The DRM was obviously not about killing used games, but about moving to a digital future.

By keeping track of who owns what license they were allowed the flexibility to embrace new distribution methods.

You can't allow people to download shared games if there is no keeping track of who is playing what game.
You can't have a digital rental system if there is no keeping track of who is playing what game.

DRM allows them flexibility to change the digital marketplace. That is the fact.

koryuken

The DRM was obviously not about killing used games, but about moving to a digital future.

By keeping track of who owns what license they were allowed the flexibility to embrace new distribution methods.
You can't allow people to download shared games if there is no keeping track of who is playing what game.

The counter argument is that infinite access to the shared games is too good to be true (frankly, unlikely given all their other Draconian policies) and that the publishers would lose way more money than they currently do on used games.

Socreges

Banned

You've made that quite obvious:

You can't have a digital rental system if there is no keeping track of who is playing what game.

DRM allows them flexibility to change the digital marketplace. That is the fact.

pretty sure the XB1 DRM allowed publishers to determine if you could sell and buy used games. the DRM standard they reverted to is what allows us to sell and buy used games.

Yep.
Microsoft killed any possibility of their vision being great by their terrible communication.

It is possible that Microsoft had a separate 1 hour demo system for trying any game that CBOAT confused for the family sharing.
Or that you can only access your library on a friend's Xbox for an hour when not connected to the internet.

You have to had the most terrible PR and marketing department of the world to unable to message clearly a system like Family Sharing if it worked like they said it would.

Make a video, do a demostration on stage or half dozen of other ideas to promote better the feature. The reason why they didn't do so, is not because a new level of corporation stupidity that goes beyond reason, is because they clearly didn't set the rules on stone. They probably didn't have publishers permission or in true the system was more limited than they'e saying.

The counter argument is that infinite access to the shared games is too good to be true (frankly, unlikely given all their other Draconian policies) and that the publishers would lose way more money than they currently do on used games.
Sure, if you make a game that can be raced through with no replay-ability, this system would allow people to take advantage of that.

Where this system cannot be abused is...
Games that are socially connected and cause people to want to play together.
Games that are quality and have lots of replay-ability and cause people to want to play for extended periods of time.

Imagine a "family" trying to share 1 copy of Skyrim.
That game can be played for hundreds of hours.
This plan would be great for trying your friend's copy of Skyrim, but other people are going to be playing during a time when you want to play and you're going to end up just buying the game digitally.

pretty sure the XB1 DRM allowed publishers to determine if you could sell and buy used games. the DRM standard they reverted to is what allows us to sell and buy used games.

Yeah it did. But Sony allowed that too.
But what publisher would actually do that? People would have protested.
And if they did do that, they would have had to appeal to consumers by offering better deals.

ruttyboy

EDIT: Oh I get what you mean... Well my point is they weren't trying to kill sharing of your games either, they created new ways to do that.

Just because someone is strangling you slowly, doesn't mean they aren't killing you.

The 'new' ways were designed to wean companies and customers off used games by making it not cost effective for the former and terrible value for the latter.

ultron87

http://winsupersite.com/xbox/xbox-o...ing?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I agree with him.

Either way it was a great idea and I hope one day they give a similar idea a chance in the future or any other digital platform.

That article is really just making the point that Microsoft's messaging was either repeatedly lying about it, or this isn't what it actually was.

While I have no real reason to doubt CBOAT the sheer illogic of a constant campaign of lies that has no real benefit and would have 100% been exposed does give me some pause.

LCfiner

http://winsupersite.com/xbox/xbox-o...ing?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I agree with him.

Either way it was a great idea and I hope one day they give a similar idea a chance in the future or any other digital platform.

Thurrot seems to gloss over this part:

"Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games."

The "UNLIMITED" access is in YOUR HOME. on your machine. so the games are licensed to you. they're not the same as the shared libraries available to them in their homes.

Hagi

You're deriving way too much pleasure from posting bro; calm yo self.

tumblr_inline_moq3ncic0g1qz4rgp.gif

<3 Michael Shannon
I think they'll just re-brand this whole thing down the line to something that actually makes sense for the feature that it supposedly is. Shame for all the people who got so hyped up though. It's nice to dream big even if it's just that, a dream caused by ridiculous amounts of misinformation and terrible fucking PR.

ultron87

Thurrot seems to gloss over this part:

"Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games."

The "UNLIMITED" access is in YOUR HOME. on your machine. so the games are licensed to you. they're not the same as the shared libraries available to them in their homes.

Yeah, in that case he is definitely conflating two things that the document very clearly separates. The Family Sharing part does not say "unlimited".

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
That article is really just making the point that Microsoft's messaging was either repeatedly lying about it, or this isn't what it actually was.

While I have no real reason to doubt CBOAT the sheer illogic of a constant campaign of lies that has no real benefit and would have 100% been exposed does give me some pause.

I get that. If that can be lie then might as well doubt other policy. I just don;t see any one saying your games when they mean time limit demo especially time was not mentioned only how many can access the sharing library was in question.

I don't want to talk about users but everyone has said the guy(cboat) is mostly accurate. This one just scream microsoft straight up lying about the policy which is difficult to comprehend when they were clear about their other drm policy which is far more negative.

Yeah, in that case he is definitely conflating two things that the document very clearly separates. The Family Sharing part does not say "unlimited".

Talking about shared gaming library around the world not the family share one.

We're never going to 100% confirm this are we...

Both PS4 and XboxOne allowed publishers to block used games.
But what publisher would actually do that? People would have protested.
And if they did block used games, the only way they would win over the consumer is by offering better deals.

wait, so why did MS revert their policy if their new-age policy was in line with everything else previous to it?

adixon

So is this basically just good pr for extremely gullible people now?

Come on guys, they killed this feature. Whatever it was, they never actually allowed a single customer to use it. It doesn't matter how oh my god amazing it was in theory, it never actually happened.

Trying to spin it as a positive for the company that promised it (whatever it was) and then never went through with it is insane.

*edit* And whatever it is, even if it's 60 minute trials, they'd be crazy not to add it to digital games at some point, since it would add a huge incentive for people like me to buy digital even more often.

wait, so why did MS revert their policy if their new-age policy was in line with everything else previous to it?
XboxOne required a connection to the internet every 24 hrs because it didn't require you to have a disc in to play a game.
Once you installed it to your hard drive you could play it at any time.

XboxOne was also region locked, I believe due to the fact that your physical license basically just unlocked a digital license so the policy wouldn't work outside countries that had Xbox Live marketplace support.

So there were a few differences...
But there was so much misinformation and miscommunication that they decided the only way to save face was to abandon the whole thing.

Top Bottom