• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Assassin’s Creed remakes are on the way, Ubisoft CEO confirms

King Dazzar

I wasn't really a fan of the series before Origins, bar Black Flag. But I'd happily revisit them and try again. I do get nervous with Ubisoft's idea of what is a remake though...

Hrk69

Gold Member
By next-gen we should have this:

ezgif-5-e291b5f2da.webp
No fucking shot.

Arachnid

Dear Ubisoft,

Please stop talking to me about Assassin's Creed and start talking about Splinter Cell and how you would reintroduce the magnificent Spies Versus Mercenaries mode from Chaos Theory.

Thank you.
Seriously

Lmao @ pulling out of the remake barrel for this mid series. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love AC4. It's one of the few actually good AC games. It doesn't need a remake. The rest of the series sure as hell doesn't deserve the remake treatment either.

DAHGAMING

Theres only a few that need a remake realy, AC1 was quite barebones so unless there going to madd stuff that wouldnt be the biggest project. 4 we already know is being worked on so that leaves 2 and 3. For me Unity and Syndicate just need a polish up, there great on PC as it is now so abit of polish and current gen version is all they need. Origins onward are fine as they are.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
AC1 Remake is probably in the hands of Bordeaux after the success of Mirage.

Black Flag is already in development by Singapure since last year so no news here.

I also believe that an Ezio trilogy remake is coming. Another “cannot fail” type of remake like RE4 was.

Likely ^

Like, very, very likely.

I'll add in that I think if anything we'll see a remaster for Unity and Syndicate or something with uncapped frame rate
Skip AC1. Remake AC2. AC1 is barely even a game.

remake both AC2 and brotherhood and package it in one game with next gen graphics.

Then skip AC3 and remake AC4 Black Flag.

lol yea, hell no.

That makes no sense for them. remake AC1, then remake AC2 etc. They want to show the leap the IP has taken, it makes sense to start at the beginning. (I say this as a person that likes AC2 better btw)

Isn't Singapore the team that made Skull and Bones?

That fucking sucks if they're remaking Black Flag. 🤬
? And? These are clearly not the same things... I'm not sure what you'd be worried about.

Thats like saying "Isn't Bluepoint games the team that made BlastFactor? That fucking suuuuuuuuuckz if they're remaking Demon Souls :messenger_pouting:"

As if any of that shit has to do with a completely different IP, with a remake vs a new game etc lol

I mean if they was continuing with Unitys presentation and graphics, this should have kidna been what current gen AC would look like.
Don't know about you guys but I think they taken a BIG step back
ACUnity 2014
D9GFT9q.jpeg
xM9wjW6.jpeg
1HK2otD.jpeg
Mnwq8GL.jpeg

AC Shadows 2024
tcTt6Sl.jpeg
Z79UTcG.jpeg

Nah, you need your eyes examined lol

I love AC Unity, but shit man, fanboying over some fucking game and ignoring reality is a wild one man, just no. You can see the muddy textures, horrid draw distance, painted on faces, some look like they have no faces lol

xlZvsMi.png

7gTvBGR.png

Look...ima need you to take off the nostalgia glasses big time. I don't see any step back from the new improvements on the engine vs the old, I see you beating off to some old game cause fanboy things....thats it. Thats all I see with (continues to watch, decides to not even say no-diddy while watching)

So if asked which engine we can put the AC Unity remake in, I have zero clue why someone would pick the one that is less advanced, where are you seeing a step back? As in, actually show us a feature itself in the new engine that the old one magically did better as it sounds like you just LIKE AC Unity or hate Japan or something and think it must automatically mean a "step back" lol

So...fuck all that man, give me AC Unity remake in the NEW FUCKING ENGINE with real time lighting

Why would I want this muddy shit with people who literally have no faces?

9UwHyp3.png

Be like "ahhh a step in the right direction" lol

Mercador

AC1 Remake is probably in the hands of Bordeaux after the success of Mirage.

Black Flag is already in development by Singapure since last year so no news here.

I also believe that an Ezio trilogy remake is coming. Another “cannot fail” type of remake like RE4 was.
AC1 was pretty much a tech demo. If I remember correctly, it was pitched as a Prince of Persia rebranding (it was popular franchise at that time).

Larxia

I don't get it, I don't see the need of remakes except for mayyybe AC1 and 2? But anything after that is recent enough to still look and play well.
Black Flag for example on PC still looks great, I don't see what a remake would do to it, unless they manage to make it completely open and seamless, like Odyssey, that would honestly be pretty great, it's actually what I was hoping for black flag before it came out, but... is it really worth it to do a remake just for that?

I don't know, it's weird.

The thing I'd like to see, but that will never happen, would be more of a reboot where Patrice Desilets would remain director and we get the AC3 we were supposed to get, set in modern times with a trained desmond, and all the events we were supposed to see, that were teased in the previous game. I'm still disappointed about the ending of AC3.
I know this idea wouldn't please many people though, I get it, I'm just curious to see what it would have been to get a real conclusion to the saga like it was originally planned.

iorek21

Actually, if you think about it, a Unity remake would also make a lot of sense if they ever want some redemption to the French Revolution.

Shit, they nailed almost every historical setting, if not every single one (fuck, even Medieval England was good), except for the most significant event of the modern era. That hurts a lot.

simpatico

Ubisoft is completely bereft of imagination. I think the meds turn it off. They're just making caricatures of their old work and now actual remakes of it. So much money, fantastic in-house art and tech resources, and look what they do with it. Just a waste. What's the use of having a billion dollars if every time you sit down you shit your trousers.

Skip AC1. Remake AC2. AC1 is barely even a game.

remake both AC2 and brotherhood and package it in one game with next gen graphics.

Then skip AC3 and remake AC4 Black Flag.
Skip your post and remake them all... Scratch that it's modern day woke ubisoft they will make Ezio, Desmond and Conner into girly man. Oh and half of Italy will be gay black people, with women in the army, because modern audiences.. calling it now

I challenge you, Ubisoft, to make just one, just fucking one, good Heroes of Might & Magic game.
They did, it was called heroes 5, and then they got new devs to dumb down heroes 6 and 7, then killed the franchise. Heroes 5 is the best game after heroes 3 imo. Don't get me wrong I'd love a new homm, but they won't do it. Instead of subbing it out to no name devs they should get someone who actually knows the franchise and 4x genre experience.

I'd also love a might and magic 11, X legacy was good except it didn't allow grinding which I didn't like one bit. That part was too much Grim rock less mm xeen/mm6. Oh and a dark messiah sequel too. I love might an magic since mm3.

Last edited:

Kerotan

AC1 badly needs a remaster. I'd buy that and the only other one I'd get is Black Flag. Outside of that I don't care. Would probably platinum those two.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nah, you need your eyes examined lol

I love AC Unity, but shit man, fanboying over some fucking game and ignoring reality is a wild one man, just no. You can see the muddy textures, horrid draw distance, painted on faces, some look like they have no faces lol

xlZvsMi.png

7gTvBGR.png

Look...ima need you to take off the nostalgia glasses big time. I don't see any step back from the new improvements on the engine vs the old, I see you beating off to some old game cause fanboy things....thats it. Thats all I see with (continues to watch, decides to not even say no-diddy while watching)

So if asked which engine we can put the AC Unity remake in, I have zero clue why someone would pick the one that is less advanced, where are you seeing a step back? As in, actually show us a feature itself in the new engine that the old one magically did better as it sounds like you just LIKE AC Unity or hate Japan or something and think it must automatically mean a "step back" lol

So...fuck all that man, give me AC Unity remake in the NEW FUCKING ENGINE with real time lighting

Why would I want this muddy shit with people who literally have no faces?

9UwHyp3.png

Be like "ahhh a step in the right direction" lol
I literally just showed the latest game as a comparison, it wasn't pointed directly at Shadows or anything.
but while throwing the word fanboy about, you've ironically become defensive over Shadows for some reason.
Considering ACUnity is a decade old...I don't have to say anything as pictures speak louder then words
Just looking at it at first glance if enough
And picking out NPC's and saying they look bad as if the newer games are any fucking better..
pjimage-2020-11-26T103555.279.jpg

For the context of what I was saying, no I don't need my eyes testing, the game overall looks better and if it was remade at the same level on today's hardware, it would look amazing.
And that was my point.
There are stuff that are superior in the newer titles but compared to Unity a lot as been pared back at the same time.
I mean if you just updated the textures & hair, that alone would look fantastic.

Last edited:

Hoddi

I literally just showed the latest game as a comparison, it wasn't pointed directly at Shadows or anything.
but while throwing the word fanboy about, you've ironically become defensive over Shadows for some reason.
Considering ACUnity is a decade old...I don't have to say anything as pictures speak louder then words
Just looking at it at first glance if enough
And picking out NPC's and saying they look bad as if the newer games are any fucking better..
pjimage-2020-11-26T103555.279.jpg

For the context of what I was saying, no I don't need my eyes testing, the game overall looks better and if it was remade at the same level on today's hardware, it would look amazing.
And that was my point.
There are stuff that are superior in the newer titles but compared to Unity a lot as been pared back at the same time.
I mean if you just updated the textures & hair, that alone would look fantastic.
I couldn't agree more. Every AC since Unity has been a massive graphical downgrade and I have no idea why.

The game itself kinda sucked but just look at this thing. 10 years later and there's basically nothing that comes even close.

YoTWJ9i.jpg

vscpN8w.jpg

g9id8bX.jpg

heYhsP3.jpg

EDMIX

you've ironically become defensive over Shadows

Nah, I'm defending a new engine.

I see no reason to use something that is dated like this cause you like 1 game.

I'd rather have the new engine with new lighting etc.

So that remake will likely use the new engine.

(cause not sure why they would use muddy textures and shit where people look like they have their faces painted on) lol

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nah, I'm defending a new engine.

I see no reason to use something that is dated like this cause you like 1 game.

I'd rather have the new engine with new lighting etc.

So that remake will likely use the new engine.

(cause not sure why they would use muddy textures and shit where people look like they have their faces painted on) lol
It's the same Anvil Engine

AzekZero

ACI, II, Brotherhood & Revelations would be great.
I remember when going back to play the AC2 trilogy the gameplay felt pretty dated, even for Ubisoft standards.

Say what you will about the Ubisoft formula, I'm down to play one of their ilk once every 4-8 years. I'll probably play at least one of these.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It's the same Anvil Engine

First, that makes even less fucking sense, what "step down" are you talking about, its the um "same"

Second, its not the same.

Did you not see the DF on this showing all of the upgrades?

So sir, they are not the "same" lol You clearly cannot do any of this in their old version that Unity is running on to be saying this fiction lol

Hudo

Gold Member
I couldn't agree more. Every AC since Unity has been a massive graphical downgrade and I have no idea why.

The game itself kinda sucked but just look at this thing. 10 years later and there's basically nothing that comes even close.

YoTWJ9i.jpg

vscpN8w.jpg

g9id8bX.jpg

heYhsP3.jpg
AC Unity is still my third-favorite AC game.

Audiophile

Thought I'd share this gem in the spirit of a potential AC 2 remake.

Once Jesper left, the franchise felt lifeless to me. His music was a core part of the DNA and the atmosphere took a nosedive when he went, there was no doubt some good music that came after but it was far more generic - generally trying to sound more like conventional film scores that were related directly to the world of the game. What was cool about Jesper's stuff for ACI, II & Brotherhood was that with a few exceptions, most of the music didn't seem of that world (location/time period) but instead contrasted with it, or at least complimented it without sounding to cliched.

Wondering the rooftops of night time Venice with his ambient sounds coming in was an absolute lightning in a bottle moment.

Last edited:
Once Jesper left, the franchise felt lifeless to me. His music was a core part of the DNA and the atmosphere took a nosedive when he went, there was no doubt some good music that came after but it was far more generic - generally trying to sound more like conventional film scores that were related directly to the world of the game. What was cool about Jesper's stuff for ACI, II & Brotherhood was that with a few exceptions, most of the music didn't seem of that world (location/time period) but instead contrasted with it, or at least complimented it without sounding to cliched.

Wondering the rooftops of night time Venice with his ambient sounds coming in was an absolute lightning in a bottle moment.
Yes. I liked the soundtrack from AC Origins, but honestly... I feel like nothing holds a candle to Jesper's work, I still remember being completely encapsulated by the score the first time I played the AC2, especially when I was in Venice. It was a spiritual experience. I feel like post ACR, the soundtrack took a backseat in the "gameplay experience", as in you don't hear much ambient music playing in the background when you're roaming around and exploring... which is a shame because the games have become truly open world now and they're in desperate need of it. In this same context but outside of AC, the only other game I think combines the soundtrack and the open world design in a emphatic way is the Witcher 3. The soundtrack really adds a depth to an already extremely rich world, environment and story.

KXVXII9X

It would be better if they kept trying to improve the franchise instead of going back. Assassin's Creed Shadows is showing some promise. All of those resources for remakes could go elsewhere for spinoffs that try a different gameplay approach at the very least.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I usually agree with you but with the exception of AC2
No GIF

AC1/2/BH/R/ACIII
done.
Actually ACUnity could do with a remake
And I know everyone loves ACII theme
But for me there just something about ACIII's

AC3 during the war of independence is such a cool time period. This is my favourite of the lot I have played. I haven’t played anything past origins.

Reactions: TGO
A lot of what I like about the early AC games is how they play and move. I worry with remakes, wouldn't they make them play more like their modern games? I don't think I'd want that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom