• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiple Assassin’s Creed remakes are on the way, Ubisoft CEO confirms

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
First, that makes even less fucking sense, what "step down" are you talking about, its the um "same"

Second, its not the same.

Did you not see the DF on this showing all of the upgrades?

So sir, they are not the "same" lol You clearly cannot do any of this in their old version that Unity is running on to be saying this fiction lol

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

I'm not saying to use the same version of Anvil that Assassin's Creed Unity used because it's better 🤣
I'm saying whatever the devs are doing with the new engine looks like a step back despite the advancements because how much they push it in Unity and they obviously tone it down to accommodate for the bigger open world in the newer titles
I'm asking for that effort they put into Unity to be out into a new Assassin's game in the new engine.
Damn no wonder you going off on one like you drank a crate of red bull 🤣

Last edited:

The Shepard

I started assassin's creed 2 (remaster) just last week and completed it today. Whilst I enjoyed the game it could definitely do with a remake. The game is very clunky, I died more times accidentally jumping from buildings than anything else and the combat is not great (I'm sure brotherhoods combat was better, be replaying that one next) The dlc chapters (12/13) added nothing to the game and should be kept out like the original. The instant fail stealth parts should be removed to.

Not sure newcomers would enjoy it now, remake the ezio trilogy, was peak assassin's creed along with black flag.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I get there is a new generation of gamers who never played those old games, or maybe you missed it in the first place. But if you played through AC2's story, or Black Flag, or whatever, are you really itching to go back to it with a bunch of changes and "enhancements" that you may or may not like? They are old games, but they're not THAT old. They're not Commodore 64. Haven't we been through this enough times to know that these remakes are always a little "be careful what you wish for?" It's one thing to remake, like, the original Metroid, but AC2, Black Flag, AC3, they play fine for what they are. Maybe the control scheme is a little awkward but it's nothing you can't get used to in an hour.

Like, I thought the Dead Space remake last year was really well done, and looked great, and played well, but... it was totally unnecessary. And evidently many people agreed because it bombed.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I started assassin's creed 2 (remaster) just last week and completed it today. Whilst I enjoyed the game it could definitely do with a remake. The game is very clunky, I died more times accidentally jumping from buildings than anything else and the combat is not great (I'm sure brotherhoods combat was better, be replaying that one next) The dlc chapters (12/13) added nothing to the game and should be kept out like the original. The instant fail stealth parts should be removed to.

Not sure newcomers would enjoy it now, remake the ezio trilogy, was peak assassin's creed along with black flag.
open secret of AC was that the games never played that well. People liked them because of the setting, the story, the lore, exploring these places, etc. But the new ones don't play well either, so...

Last edited:

brenobnfm

Ubisoft's utter mediocrity is rewarded with a shitton of money, are they wrong?

"Multiple"
There arent enough good ones to even justify multiple.

lol as if that means anything to Ubisoft, they haven't released a good game since Chaos Theory.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

I'm not saying to use the same version of Anvil that Assassin's Creed Unity used because it's better 🤣
I'm saying whatever the devs are doing with the new engine looks like a step back despite the advancements because how much they push it in Unity and they obviously tone it down to accommodate for the bigger open world in the newer titles
I'm asking for that effort they put into Unity to be out into a new Assassin's game in the new engine.
Damn no wonder you going off on one like you drank a crate of red bull 🤣

lol yea, so I somehow don't believe that at all.

You state its a step back and then start showing comparison screens.

It would have made more sense to just say you wish for them to have the same type of leap like Unity did or something, not making it sound like its a "step back" as if something from 2014 is magically beating something from 2024 lol

So I don't see any step back here man, not even close.

TGO

lol yea, so I somehow don't believe that at all.

You state its a step back and then start showing comparison screens.

It would have made more sense to just say you wish for them to have the same type of leap like Unity did or something, not making it sound like its a "step back" as if something from 2014 is magically beating something from 2024 lol

So I don't see any step back here man, not even close.
I'm sorry bro, but Assassin's Creed got a graphics downgrade with Syndicate and continued with even more Origins.
If you think the graphics improved and tripled the world size while also running at a better frame rate & resolution on the same hardware then I don't know what to tell you.
They haven't even reached what ACU looks like on fully maxed out on a PC

It's not that a game from 2014 is beating a 2024 one
Its that they're not even trying too.
And will probably never Remaster Unity for that reason.
I do think Shadows looks alright, and step I the right direction.
but it's still missing something.

EDMIX

but it's still missing something.

ok, if you can't identify that "something" i don't see the point to the claim. It something you can't even provide any actual proof on other then your opinion on liking a game...

So if you think this is some magical thing that everyone should be seeking, then shit, by all means.

HXOOaCs.png
S7EPVwP.png

But at least let that be know that its simply your subjective opinion and not any real technical claim of anything as I'm not sure who the fuck is going to wish to not have real time lighting lol

I don't know who the fuck is putting out a game in 2024 looking like this muddy shit and thinking it will go over well and be praised or something.

OFm3SdV.png

May be they need your glasses of rose bud lol

So if they remaster / remake Unity, I see zero reason for them not to use the updated engine, it would odd and weird to even use the dated inferior one.

Last edited:

TGO

So if they remaster / remake Unity, I see zero reason for them not to use the updated engine, it would odd and weird to even use the dated inferior one.
You keep saying this, NO ONE IS SAYING THE NEWER ENGINE IS INFERIOR.
And my shots was captured from YouTube
But the Art direction, lighting, graphics style are all different.
But it's the same engine that's been improved upon for over decade, it is more advanced
No one is saying it isn't.
The difference is the with what the current Devs are using it for.
One was built around dense city environments with huge crowds and realistic baked lighting
The newer games are built around massive open world and Global Illumination.
I'm saying if they go back to how they made ACU and used the new engine improvements that wasn't in the original game like GI & Ray tracing on newer hardware it would look amazing given how the original release looks compared to the newer games, because it still a good looking game which they haven't really tried to recreate in the newer games despite clearly having the ability to do so now
And with the fidelity and hardware they have now
This is close to a possibility
ezgif-5-e291b5f2da.webp

And that's why my original post quoted this that Audiophile Audiophile posted
But the newer games aren't made that way like Unity was.
You understand what I'm saying now?

Last edited:

EDMIX

The newer games are built around massive open world and Global Illumination.

Annnnd I don't see how that would have the newer engine not able to do Unity remake sir.

That is just saying the newer GAMES are built around that, that does not fucking mean the damn remake or remaster will be as that makes no sense.

But the newer games aren't made that way like Unity was.

And? Who the fuck is saying the remake MUST be or will be built that way?

Soooo the engine can do a good job with a large massive world, that does not mean it is limited to just that as you'd need to clarify what you mean.

All this sounds like is you like Unity and dislike the newer games, but what that has to do with the update to the engine is beyond me.

I've never read anything suggesting the engine can only do massive worlds and any smaller worlds the engine melts like them robots from The Simpsons.

simpsons-face.gif

So...I think you are exaggerating this a lot and forcing some assumption based on the actual style of how those newer games where made vs actually just looking at the engine itself.

I don't even see HOW the newer engine would suddenly be worse for a Unity remake, its the "same" engine based on your own wording, thus would just do the same things but better considering all they've improved upon.

Last edited:

TGO

I don't even see HOW the newer engine would suddenly be worse for a Unity remake
It wouldn't, wasn't saying it would be 🙄
Clearly this is something I seem to be be miscommunicating to you so let's end it at that.

EDMIX

It wouldn't, wasn't saying it would be 🙄
Clearly this is something I seem to be be miscommunicating to you so let's end it at that.

I'm not sure what the issue is with AC Unity remake or remaster using the newer engine. Even with saying "wasn't saying it would be"

The comments about the new AC Shadows being a "step back" is up to you to describe what you mean, by showing the comparisons, I can only gather you are talking about this engine then vs now.

I mean if they was continuing with Unitys presentation and graphics, this should have kidna been what current gen AC would look like.
Don't know about you guys but I think they taken a BIG step back

So, what is the big step back?

By showing comparisons, understand all I have to go on is the engine then vs the engine now.

IF its about art direction, that makes even less sense as clearly they are not in the same settings.

So if the entire thing is just based on the way the developers made larger, open world type games, I have no clue what that would have to do with a Unity remake.

They made those games open world yes, who is saying Unity will be made the same way? Your issue with direction of the newer games may have no relevance here as this is a remake of the smaller Unity, so unless they are saying the will make it 100x larger then normal, this simply sounds like an assumption or exaggeration of what that remake is going to be.

So I don't think you have much to worry about as I don't believe the AC Unity remake is aiming to make some different game in a larger world or something. Understanding, the newer games are not just larger, that isn't the only difference, they are semi-RPGs and lots to do in those worlds, you couldn't just put AC Unity in a larger map and get that, they'd have to fundamentally alter the entire game to a massive degree and i don't see any evidence Ubisoft's goal is to get all their AC titles to be that.

Why make Mirage?

So I think AC Unity remake, remaster etc is in good hands.

TGO

I'm not sure what the issue is with AC Unity remake or remaster using the newer engine. Even with saying "wasn't saying it would be"

The comments about the new AC Shadows being a "step back" is up to you to describe what you mean, by showing the comparisons, I can only gather you are talking about this engine then vs now.

So, what is the big step back?

By showing comparisons, understand all I have to go on is the engine then vs the engine now.

IF its about art direction, that makes even less sense as clearly they are not in the same settings.

So if the entire thing is just based on the way the developers made larger, open world type games, I have no clue what that would have to do with a Unity remake.

They made those games open world yes, who is saying Unity will be made the same way? Your issue with direction of the newer games may have no relevance here as this is a remake of the smaller Unity, so unless they are saying the will make it 100x larger then normal, this simply sounds like an assumption or exaggeration of what that remake is going to be.

So I don't think you have much to worry about as I don't believe the AC Unity remake is aiming to make some different game in a larger world or something. Understanding, the newer games are not just larger, that isn't the only difference, they are semi-RPGs and lots to do in those worlds, you couldn't just put AC Unity in a larger map and get that, they'd have to fundamentally alter the entire game to a massive degree and i don't see any evidence Ubisoft's goal is to get all their AC titles to be that.

Why make Mirage?

So I think AC Unity remake, remaster etc is in good hands.
I personally like the grittier look of Unity and the stylisation of it and Syndicate for example
43481728615_8edd5d4b52_h.jpg

to a lesser degree than Mirage
Although I do think Mirage can shine in some places
And it's not just the location.
It's like ACI and ACII
The difference in returning characters models although better in most respects was less realistic for the lack of a better word.
They did improve in later games, but ACII was a big difference.
The newer RPG like games all look different in comparison.
To me that is the downgrade to achieve what they wanted to do.
Shadows I think what I've seen has been good character model wise.
I need to see more of the environments as currently it looks very much like Ghost of Tsushima.
Naoe gameplay looks good, not too keen on Yasuke.
But then again I prefer Evie over Jacob in Syndicate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

EDMIX

I personally like the grittier look of Unity and the stylisation of it and Syndicate for example

It's like ACI and ACII
The difference in returning characters models although better in most respects was less realistic for the lack of a better word.
I need to see more of the environments as currently it looks very much like Ghost of Tsushima.

Well I agree with most of this.

I think the more dense environments gives them a lot more bandwidth to make graphically impressive urban cities, so like the streets you posted from Syndicate, I expect deep texture, tessellation and a detail in a remake or remaster of Unity.

I think the newer RPG ones still look impressive, but its a good idea for them to simply support both concepts going forward. So the newer RPG ones do look different, but we've never seen one in later settings, like Origin, Odyssey and Valhalla and even Shadows all take place much further back in History then Unity and Syndicate, maybe this was done on purpose to avoid those deeply urban, populated type cities or something.

Cause to my memory, Syndicate and Unity are like the latest time frames
(I have no clue where and how HEXE will play into any of this)

Reactions: TGO

CGNoire

Once Jesper left, the franchise felt lifeless to me. His music was a core part of the DNA and the atmosphere took a nosedive when he went, there was no doubt some good music that came after but it was far more generic - generally trying to sound more like conventional film scores that were related directly to the world of the game. What was cool about Jesper's stuff for ACI, II & Brotherhood was that with a few exceptions, most of the music didn't seem of that world (location/time period) but instead contrasted with it, or at least complimented it without sounding to cliched.

Wondering the rooftops of night time Venice with his ambient sounds coming in was an absolute lightning in a bottle moment.
Same for Hitman. Jesper Kyd is gamings best composer hands down. IO dropping him makes no sense.

Hudo

Gold Member
Watch them introduce a strong and independent woman into the plot of the AC2 trilogy. Ezio just follows her and has no agency of his own.

It's like ACI and ACII
Lol ac shadows looks way better than ghost of tsushima draw distance looks insane the level of object in a single shot has way more variety than entire ghost of tsushima ,

EDMIX

Lol ac shadows looks way better than ghost of tsushima draw distance looks insane the level of object in a single shot has way more variety than entire ghost of tsushima ,

I agree, I like how both games looks, but in GoT defense, AC Shadows is a generation ahead in terms of tech.

I'm sure GoT2 will have lots of impressive graphical features as well. Ubisoft's environmental artist might be some of the best in the entire industry, I don't even know if any publisher exist that has a stable of teams this good regarding locations. I'd say thats probably the element I've always loved with their games and its always been a sure thing, even the games I hated by them, had amazing detailed environments lol

Top Bottom