• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutant Mudds |OT|

Still at work, but I picked this up right away. I'm officially not a part of the problem.

3DS eShop really is on a roll. I've had so much fun with VVVVVV, Pushmo and MSF, and I expect the same for Mutant Mudd and Sakura Samurai next week!

This game gives a really good first impression. I've only completed the first two levels so far, but it's fun to play. The 3D, sprites, and music are all great, and the controls are comfortable and responsive.

NEO0MJ

This game gives a really good first impression. I've only completed the first two levels so far, but it's fun to play. The 3D, sprites, and music are all great, and the controls are comfortable and responsive.

Same here. Someone needs to make an OT for this game, it deserves it from what I've played.

GWX

Bought it, downloaded it, played the first 2 stages and it's pretty cool so far. It controls tightly, looks great (3D slider all the way up and no noticeable crosstalk so far - although that may change at later stages) and sounds amazing.

Also, I'm loving the price conversion at the brazilian eShop. The game costs US$8.99 at the american store, but only costs R$15.00 at the brazilian one. That's lower than the current conversion: US$1.00 = R$1.74 (current) and US$1.00 = ~R$1.67 (what I paid at the eShop).

Yuterald

Downloaded the game this afternoon and played up to the third world. Really enjoying it so far. Game controls well, sprites are great, music is cool, all that good stuff, etc. Collecting all 100 Diamonds per stage is definitely addicting. I also like how there is some degree of backtracking by exchanging Diamonds for upgrades to access secret stages.

Just a question about the one upgrade I got so far. I got the gun upgrade and it allows you to access those hidden walls, but does it do extra damage to regular enemies? it doesn't seem like it's doing anything. Is it firing faster than normal and I'm just not seeing it? Kind of weird to have an upgrade that ONLY allows access to secret stages. Would have been cool if it did more damage. Could have given it a cool down rate or recharge time if the devs were worried about it being overpowered. Whatevs, though, not a big deal.

Only other gripe I have is that there are no bosses. Platform/Action Adventure games, fuck it, every game NEEDS bosses. There really should have been boss doors on the hub map. Other than that the game is definitely worth picking up if you like 2D platformers.

Oh, one thing I also wanted to mention is how short the stages are. I always worry when I play these non-Japanese/Indy-like platformer games that the stages are going to go on forever. A bit unrelated, but Henry Hatsworth was a platformer that had a lot of the right ideas (just like this game), but the stages never ended and there was just no sense of design. Thankfully, so far the stages are compact and concise in Mutant Mudds.

Just a question about the one upgrade I got so far. I got the gun upgrade and it allows you to access those hidden walls, but does it do extra damage to regular enemies? it doesn't seem like it's doing anything. Is it firing faster than normal and I'm just not seeing it? Kind of weird to have an upgrade that ONLY allows access to secret stages. Would have been cool if it did more damage. Could have given it a cool down rate or recharge time if the devs were worried about it being overpowered. Whatevs, though, not a big deal.

Shoots a little faster and they have a longer distance. What's about it

Apdiddy

Just got this and I played it briefly....this is NES personified. Now if Nintendo would let the guy who made Battle Kid (or maybe the Pier Solar people) sell their game on eShop.

Ridley327

Been really enjoying it so far. Some of those special levels are really tough; the one in 3-2, in particular, reminded me so much of older Bowser's Castles.

Yuterald

Shoots a little faster and they have a longer distance. What's about it

Oh, you're right! Well, that's cool then.

I just finished all the main levels with all 1600 Diamonds collected and half of the secret stages completed. I've only clocked in at 1:40. I still have half of the regular secret stages to complete as well as World 5 in its entirety. Not sure how much more time/value that is going to add at the pace I'm going at. If you are an above average, competent gamer, it seems like you can definitely blast through this.

Teknoman

Downloaded the game this afternoon and played up to the third world. Really enjoying it so far. Game controls well, sprites are great, music is cool, all that good stuff, etc. Collecting all 100 Diamonds per stage is definitely addicting. I also like how there is some degree of backtracking by exchanging Diamonds for upgrades to access secret stages.

Only other gripe I have is that there are no bosses. Platform/Action Adventure games, fuck it, every game NEEDS bosses. There really should have been boss doors on the hub map. Other than that the game is definitely worth picking up if you like 2D platformers.

Oh, one thing I also wanted to mention is how short the stages are. I always worry when I play these non-Japanese/Indy-like platformer games that the stages are going to go on forever. A bit unrelated, but Henry Hatsworth was a platformer that had a lot of the right ideas (just like this game), but the stages never ended and there was just no sense of design. Thankfully, so far the stages are compact and concise in Mutant Mudds.

Good to hear about the stage design, but bosses are a must in every action/platformer game. Still going to snag it since it actually seems pretty fun/has a great soundtrack.

BooJoh

I'm liking this so far. My only complaint is that I'm not a fan of platformers with arbitrary time limits. I like to take my time as I play through a stage, but I suddenly died and realized there was a time limit.

Otherwise I'm really liking the game, it's like a throwback to PC Shareware, NES, VB, and GB all rolled into one. It almost feels like it could be a Wario game.

pulga

Banned
Quick impressions: Music is good, graphics are a nice throwback, and this game is deceivingly challenging. The secret stages get pretty crazy! A must download, me thinks.

seady

Wah what happen to eShop lately?
It's crazy I heard more good things consistently coming from eShop than Live Arcade or PSN lately.

Yuterald

Wah what happen to eShop lately?
It's crazy I heard more good things consistently coming from eShop than Live Arcade or PSN lately.

Yeah, I've been enjoying the eShop games way more than anything I've downloaded recently on PSN. We've got that cool looking Samurai game next week too! Although short as shit, I thought Mighty Switch Force was one of the most fun and exciting downloadable games I've played in awhile. Oh, and Mutant Mudds is pretty fucking awesome too! =)

watershed

Banned
Mutant Mudds is great so far. I love everything about its retro presentation. Its gonna take a little while for me to get used to the jump though.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
It feels much like Virtual Boy Wario Land at times, but that's because of the planes of play...

Honestly, the actual platform gaming isn't impressing me that much. The game is very polished and looks great, but I feel like I'm playing a generic 90s platformer so often. Really hoping things improve, but I have a feeling I'm already about 50-70% through with the game...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really want to play this! Jools I promise I'll be buying it as soon as my paycheck comes in the week after next!

And when I do I'll have twice as many eShop titles as retail cartridges. I find that hilarious.

Bullza2o

Wow this game is great! I've only played one level so far because I'm a bit sick, but I really like the 3D effects too. Can't wait to play more when I get better!

They actually did really good with putting colors together that lead to a crisp 3D effect. I love Mario 3D Land did such a wonderful job at this as well. Absolutely no ghosting, doubling, blurring, etc. Sure, this is a much more simple game visually, but they did it right and that's all I give a damn about.

Good stuff.

I'm having trouble with the timing on those disappearing platforms.
Yeah, they disappear quick. Remember, you can cancel your jet pack with another tap of the button. Hovering was throwing me all off until I figured that one out. Speaking of which, I like how its designed so that hovering is sometimes not a real option at all.

Debating on if I'm going to pick up this or Mighty Switch Force this weekend. Hmmmm

That is a hard decision for me. I'm a bit torn between the two. I can tell you even if you enjoy MSF, if you aren't a fan of replaying levels to beat times, you might feel it's too short. I personally don't, but it's understandable.

I'm having trouble with the timing on those disappearing platforms.

Try jumping towards those platforms when they become clear. The jet pack helps tremendously with the timing too.

Debating on if I'm going to pick up this or Mighty Switch Force this weekend. Hmmmm

Mutant Mudds has longer levels and is a very pure platformer, while Mighty Switch Force has smaller levels that focus on puzzle-solving too. I hope you enjoy whatever you pick. : )

Yeah, I've run across one genuinely cheap moment in one of the later Virtual Worlds. There is almost no way of avoiding getting hit without pure luck, but that has honestly been the only time it's happened that I can think of. The rest of the game has been a pure test of skill, and very fair. Loving the hell out of it.

M3d10n

They actually did really good with putting colors together that lead to a crisp 3D effect. I love Mario 3D Land did such a wonderful job at this as well. Absolutely no ghosting, doubling, blurring, etc. Sure, this is a much more simple game visually, but they did it right and that's all I give a damn about.

Good stuff.

Yeah, this caught my attention too. I think the trick is the fog-like color effect the game uses in the background layers, which reduces their color contrast. Since the background layers are the ones which have greater stereo separation, having them blend to a color with neutral brightness prevents high contrast against the foreground objects.

So maybe the trick to avoid ghosting is to use fog-like effects on distant objects so they neither don't get too dark nor too bright.

jgkspsx

A bit unrelated, but Henry Hatsworth was a platformer that had a lot of the right ideas (just like this game), but the stages never ended and there was just no sense of design. Thankfully, so far the stages are compact and concise in Mutant Mudds.
It's not just you, I thought of Hatsworth unfavorably in comparison while playing this.

I think the level designs are great, and it takes me back to 90s PC platformers (Secret Agent, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen). Enemy artwork is particularly Keen-esque. Given that Keen is my favorite series of platformers, that's a very good thing. I only have 8 gems so far, but I'm really loving it.

One of my favorite things about the game is that there are no incentives to do repetitive, boring stuff. Killing enemies? Only do it if they're in your way unless you want to. Collect all the gems each playthrough of the level? Nope. Just the ones you missed. It may hurt game length and replayability, but it's so, so nice to play a game that isn't trying to waste my time.

Also, the Virtual Boy and Game Boy secret levels are really cute.

The game keeps getting better as I go along. I was a tad bit worried at first, due to the simplicity of the earlier levels, but it's getting more challenging now (playing through the third world).

The challenge levels are great - the one for 3-2 is absolutely vicious. So cruel with some of the enemy placement.

One small complaint is that I wish the golden diamonds were a bit harder to find. The only time I end up missing a few is from either jumping into the wrong plane and not being able to get back, or from rushing to beat the clock. I wish there were more cleverly hidden throughout the levels (but to be fair, that may change later on).

Yeah, I've run across one genuinely cheap moment in one of the later Virtual Worlds. There is almost no way of avoiding getting hit without pure luck, but that has honestly been the only time it's happened that I can think of. The rest of the game has been a pure test of skill, and very fair. Loving the hell out of it.

There's a spot in (regular) level 4-4 where it's impossible to avoid taking damage (except maybe if you're using the watergun powerup?) You have to jump up and hover over from a disappearing platform over some spikes and onto another platform to attack a Mudd creature shooting at you from the right, and there's no way to get there and land without being hit by one of his shots (and you can't jump high enough from the disappearing platform to hover over the shot coming in). I've beaten every regular and secret level in the first four worlds and that's the only place I've seen where you were forced to take damage.

zigg

One of my favorite things about the game is that there are no incentives to do repetitive, boring stuff. Killing enemies? Only do it if they're in your way unless you want to. Collect all the gems each playthrough of the level? Nope. Just the ones you missed. It may hurt game length and replayability, but it's so, so nice to play a game that isn't trying to waste my time.
Hmm. This right here is tipping me back in the "buy" column.

Ridley327

Only level I had a problem with was one of the VB levels on world 4.
Fuck you clouds!!
Have to be perfect!

Yeah, that one was nuts.

Just beat the game 100% and it's certainly a treat for any gamer. The bonus unlockable is exactly what I was hoping for, too. :-D

Top Bottom