• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mutant Mudds |OT|

Just beat the game 100%! Took me 4:47 in total. I'm sad that it's over already, but the game was such a blast that I had a hard time putting it down! The last few levels in the game were very satisfying to complete, although the
high jump power up
made a few sections too easy. You get a cool unlockable when you finish all 40 levels with all the gems:
you get to play as the granny, who gets to use all the powerups at the same time.

Ridley327

Just beat the game 100%! Took me 4:47 in total. I'm sad that it's over already, but the game was such a blast that I had a hard time putting it down! The last few levels in the game were very satisfying to complete, although the
high jump power up
made a few sections too easy. You get a cool unlockable when you finish all 40 levels with all the gems:
you get to play as the granny, who gets to use all the powerups at the same time.

It definitely made the getting the stars in the last level a lot easier, but you are definitely not on the clock's best side for going after them. I think I had less than 10 seconds left on the timer when I glided to the exit.

Yuterald

...and done! Just completely finished the game 100% this afternoon. The final stage was the most difficult for me, for some reason. Other than that the game felt like it had just the right amount of difficulty without being too frustrating. Really enjoyed it. Only took me 3:47 to complete the game.

Just a tip for those who might be struggling with a few stages, definitely get used to landing/staying on the edges of platforms. You can land/stay on edges with background hazards as well so you can gather your thoughts. It's definitely something that is required in a lot of the bonus stages as well as pretty much the entirety of World 5.

Loved all the little nice goodies they throw your way after 100%'ing the game. You get to play as Grannie who has all upgrades available at once, so cool! I love it when games give you 100% messages as well. And they top it all off with a "Thanks for Playing!" which is always nice. Very classy! I'm definitely going to pick up those Dementium games at some point too. Consider me a fan of their games now! =)

It definitely made the getting the stars in the last level a lot easier, but you are definitely not on the clock's best side for going after them. I think I had less than 10 seconds left on the timer when I glided to the exit.

The gems actually stay collected when you finish a level, so you don't need to collect everything in one shot, when you replay the level you only need to pick up the gems you missed the first time. Though it is pretty impressive if you did manage to get all the gems on the last level in only 4 minutes.

Ridley327

The gems actually stay collected when you finish a level, so you don't need to collect everything in one shot, when you replay the level you only need to pick up the gems you missed the first time. Though it is pretty impressive if you did manage to get all the gems on the last level in only 4 minutes.

Yeah, I'm kind of awesome like that.

Outside of one level (and you probably know which one it is, since they position a gem right above the perspective jump), I took it upon myself to get all 100 in one go.

Yuterald

if you had a choice between Mudds and MSF, which do you choose?

Pretty tough decision. I'd say download both if you can afford it. They are two of the best 3DSware games available. The two took me roughly the same amount of time to 100%. Both games averaged around 3:40. Though your play time will vary slightly depending on your skill level.

I think I still prefer Mighty Switch Force in the end. The soundtrack and overall feel of the game just clicked more with me. That game is just so energetic too.

I didn't do a level unless I had all 100 gems. One of the levels on world 2 I missed 9 gems and just restarted. Hated the idea of not getting all 100 on the first run.

if you had a choice between Mudds and MSF, which do you choose?

If you are big into speed running MSF, if you just want a fun game to sit back and enjoy? Mutant mudds.
Not to say you can't sit back and enjoy MSF but not getting par always drove me crazy. Until I beat the game. That made it easier :p

Yeah, I'm kind of awesome like that.

Outside of one level (and you probably know which one it is, since they position a gem right above the perspective jump), I took it upon myself to get all 100 in one go.

Yeah, you're probably talking about one of the levels in world 3 (either 3-3 or 3-4 I think). I was prepared for that because I accidentally used a launch pad when I tried to jump up and collect some gems in level 1-2, and also because I later inadvertently discovered that you can jump while standing on the launch pads if you press down on the dpad while jumping.

Right now I'm playing through the V and G world levels before jumping into the hub's foreground.

Going back and reaching the hidden areas with a power-up makes me think of Metroid, and it gives each stage a sense of depth that I really find satisfying. Mutant Mudds is awesome!

Hey guys! If anyone's curious or iffy about buying the game, I made a review :) Check it if you got the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXTcsgJUzPo

Good review! I like that you speak clearly and loudly too.

Personally, I could see myself playing this game again after completing it. The levels are definitely fun enough, and it's so easy to pick up and play.

Lijik

Got the game today and played through the first world and one of the ice stages.

This game is so fun! I just really love everything about it, and its really great in 3D.
I don't get a whole lot out of it when I play polygonal games in 3D (though its nice) but MSF and especially Mutant Mudds blow me away.

I really like having a spiritual successor to VB Wario Land!

Bullza2o

Yeah, I figured they were, so I scrolled past them quickly before reading/looking. Damn spoilers.
Yeah..I was reading from the latest post and back, and while scrolling upwards I got spoiled :\

This game is quite challenging. I keep dying/falling, but it's still really fun.

watershed

Banned
Damn this game is hard. Funny because one of my major concerns prior to release was that it looked too easy. Right now my only wish is that it had infinite lives and a check point system like VVVVV instead of kicking you back to the beginning of the level after every death. It would have made the action much faster. Other than that it is certainly delivering on my expectations.

Hige

There's a spot in (regular) level 4-4 where it's impossible to avoid taking damage (except maybe if you're using the watergun powerup?) You have to jump up and hover over from a disappearing platform over some spikes and onto another platform to attack a Mudd creature shooting at you from the right, and there's no way to get there and land without being hit by one of his shots (and you can't jump high enough from the disappearing platform to hover over the shot coming in). I've beaten every regular and secret level in the first four worlds and that's the only place I've seen where you were forced to take damage.
If that's the spot I'm thinking of, you can avoid it with the 2nd power up.

Btw, some pictures below might spoil a few things...

Holy spoilers, Batman!
Seriously, could you take the pictures out of your post, please? And use spoiler tags for the last part of your post. I saw your post before I 100%ed the game, and it seems I'm not the only person you're spoiling the game for.

watershed

Banned
Whoever is spoiling the game, especially with pics, needs to edit that stuff out now. I haven't come across it thankfully but the game is only one day old, please think about all the people who are still playing it or haven't even bought it yet.

schlew

Great game. Folks at Renegade Kid deserve all the acclaim they can get. The road to getting the final product was long and complicated (3D platformer for DS, then potentially DSiWare, and now finally the e-Shop), but I'm really happy with how it turned out.

For a fun approach to getting the word out, try SwapNote, and let your friends now. Sure, most savvy enough to register online friends probably know of the title, but maybe they don't know just how good it is.

gogojira

I've heard comparisons to a bunch of other classic games, but nobody seems to bring up Kid Icarus and I see some pretty cool parallels with Mutant Mudds. The jumping feel (and even animation) remind me of KI, but with a secondary float mechanic. Mutant Mudds has a lot of vertical platforming and his gun almost mimics Pit's bow.

From a raw gameplay perspective and what you do level to level, of course there are a lot of differences. But those few parallels are pretty cool, and it has me wishing hat Nintendo would do something as cool as creating a modern 2D Kid Icarus and put it on the e-shop.

jgkspsx

I've heard comparisons to a bunch of other classic games, but nobody seems to bring up Kid Icarus and I see some pretty cool parallels with Mutant Mudds. The jumping feel (and even animation) remind me of KI, but with a secondary float mechanic. Mutant Mudds has a lot of vertical platforming and his gun almost mimics Pit's bow.
That's what I've been thinking the last few times I played, too.

So far the game is pretty decent, but I don't see "greatness" people allude to. The difficulty seems a bit artificial to me (no heart refills, no checkpoint and a time limit).

jgkspsx

All difficulty in video games is artificial. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Every time I play a level, I get better at it. Every difficult jump/disappearing platform/enemy arrangement has become easy as I've gotten better, but each level introduces something even more challenging. The controls are different than what I'm used to from other platformers, but in their own way they're spot on. And I love the layers and the art style.

That said, some of the hidden stages are really frustrating. Maybe too frustrating.

So far the game is pretty decent, but I don't see "greatness" people allude to. The difficulty seems a bit artificial to me (no heart refills, no checkpoint and a time limit).

That is how games were during the 8bit era.

Checkpoints were unheard of and time limit was common.

As for the heart issue, the difficulty are the timed jumped where missing could mean instant death. If you're constantly getting hit to the point where health is an issue, you're not playing it right. Most enemies can be killed from a safe distance.

the game is actually pretty good! I'm loving the 3d too.

those vids on the marketplace are definitely not doing it any favors though, almost skipped it because of them.

That is how games were during the 8bit era.

Checkpoints were unheard of and time limit was common.

As for the heart issue, the difficulty are the timed jumped where missing could mean instant death. If you're constantly getting hit to the point where health is an issue, you're not playing it right. Most enemies can be killed from a safe distance.

Actually you pretty much nailed it. The hearts aren't really a problem, it's those damn insta deaths. What I truly hate about missing a lethal jump toward the end of a level, is having to meticulously collect every coin all over again. So tedious and boring once you're already done it. Nevermind having to do it even more than twice.

watershed

Banned
Actually you pretty much nailed it. The hearts aren't really a problem, it's those damn insta deaths. What I truly hate about missing a lethal jump toward the end of a level, is having to meticulously collect every coin all over again. So tedious and boring once you're already done it. Nevermind having to do it even more than twice.

Yeah this is annoying me as well at the moment. I would have loved check points just to keep the pace of the action up.

joolswatsham

Neo Member
10/10 - Games Abyss.

"You don’t realize this yet but Mutant Mudds is the reason why you’ll end up owning a 3DS."

"Renegade Kid has crafted the definitive platformer."

"The very best Nintendo's eShop has to offer."

"Perfect."

10/10 - Games Abyss.

"You don’t realize this yet but Mutant Mudds is the reason why you’ll end up owning a 3DS."

"Renegade Kid has crafted the definitive platformer."

"The very best Nintendo's eShop has to offer."

"Perfect."

Overrated.

Good game so far though, harder than I thought it'd be.

Charming artstyle, fits the level design and intention well.

Anyone can answer this for me: Is VVVVVV different enough from Mighty Mighty Switch Force and Mutant Mudds to warrant an immediate purchase???

I'm kind of getting out of hand with these oldschool platformers and probably could wait with my shop points for more variety but VVVVVV has such a reputation.

WTF am I reading? The game would've been pathetically easy if the levels included checkpoints. If there was no punishment for dying then you'd have no incentive to improve your skills and not suck at the game and could just sleepwalk through to the end. Man, today's gamerz are such babbies.

WTF am I reading? The game would've been pathetically easy if the levels included checkpoints. If there was no punishment for dying then you'd have no incentive to improve your skills and not suck at the game and could just sleepwalk through to the end. Man, today's gamerz are such babbies.

Time limits can suck, artificial added difficulty.

Bullza2o

This is the reason why I'm so frustrated with the game. It is also the reason why I'm loving the game. It's so challenging that it makes me want to play more! I'm not big on old-school 8-bit platformers, but this game just hooked me in at the start.

Time limits can suck, artificial added difficulty.

The time limits I agree weren't really necessary, but the last (regular) level was the ONLY level in the game where I felt pressed for time at all, so in my case they didn't really effect my experience with the game beyond being something I had to keep in the back of my mind.

How is a time limit any more "artificial" than any other design choice?

Because this game doesn't need it to be required.

It hasn't bothered me too much but some of the jumps can be tricky near the end and you can't afford to prepare for them or do them over and over again.

I would much rather prefer the Mighty Mighty Switch Force way of handling time, make it exist but not be required.

Yuterald

Yeah, some of these reviews are a bit too high, but I can't stand numerical scores to begin with. I'd say the game is very much worth playing and it's easily one of the best eShop titles available. If you like 2D platformers I would highly, highly recommend it. But to call it the game you've been waiting for to purchase your 3DS, etc...? I wouldn't go that far. Also, is it better than Mighty Switch Force? Personally, no, but it's the second best thing to it.

I completely mastered the game in 3:40. Maybe it's difficult for the bro/cell phone crowd? Have people become so disconnected from actual, real games that take a degree of skill or thought?

Go Go Kokopolo! is still the best Eshop game but games like Mutant Mudds, Pushmo and Mighty Mighty Switch Force certainly are giving the service real credibility.

I don't know if it can keep up this torrid pace.

The time limits I agree weren't really necessary, but the last (regular) level was the ONLY level in the game where I felt pressed for time at all, so in my case they didn't really effect my experience with the game beyond being something I had to keep in the back of my mind.

Yeah, I forgot I even had a time limit until the last level. I was seriously unaware of it until then.

Pretty fun game all around. Not a perfect game by any stretch, but definitely a great game considering it was made by two guys and a musician as their first platformer. I think having a boss might make the game feel more complete, even if just one. The variety of the worlds are good, but I would have liked more unique enemy types or platforms depending on the area.

Pretty fun game all around. Not a perfect game by any stretch, but definitely a great game considering it was made by two guys and a musician as their first platformer. I think having a boss might make the game feel more complete, even if just one. The variety of the worlds are good, but I would have liked more unique enemy types or platforms depending on the area.

Yep. I would love to see some bosses in a sequel if it turns out to grab a profit for them. Maybe even a "Mutant" series of eShop games a bit like Pixel Junk. Throw some achievements in there for all the whores who get off from it too.

I think having a boss might make the game feel more complete, even if just one.

I agree on boss fights, this guy(or these guys) could likely make really good ones as they understand the genre.

Not just one though, that'd be pointless or maybe I am just shaking my head at the one at the end of Mighty Mighty Switch Force, a complete waste of time that added nothing to the really slick game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The price is kind of interesting to me. I bought the game, and I liked the game, and I feel like I got my $9.44 worth in the end. So that's good. But I very rarely pay than much for a game. It's not just an iOS thing, it's also PC and consoles. $10 was when I was willing to jump into Portal 2. In the last year I've purchased 153 digital games, and of those, Dead Space 2 ($14.99) and Portal 2 ($10.19) were the only games I spent more on than this.

I got two time-outs in the game. I got 100/100 diamonds in every level my first complete run through each.

1) My first almost successful runthrough through the final main level I ran out of time about five seconds before finishing the level. I then determined that I could go through the level without fighting a lot of the enemies and that'd greatly speed things up (for example in the few segments where there were three flying guys going back and forth, you can just kill the bottom two and float under the third one.

2) The V-Land special level with the cloud blowing guys right at the end. I had difficulty getting the timing right on the last segment. I think it's because the clouds stop blowing a few frames before their animation / sound stops, so the correct timing ends up being kinda counterintuitive. I finished with about 10 seconds left the second time through.

OnPoint

Finished all of the
main, non-space levels
last night, and the
first space level
as well. 4-4 was actually super challenging to 100/100. I'll be going back through today to get the rest of the G and V-land stages (even if some of them are behind walls I don't know how to deal with just yet)
Edit- lol just figured out the upgraded shot does it

I like this game quite a bit, but I'm a little underwhelmed at the same time. I think the complaints about no bosses are valid. It just feels like an important piece of the "classic formula" is missing without them. Regardless, the stages are pretty well designed and the platforming is fun.

giggas

From a raw gameplay perspective and what you do level to level, of course there are a lot of differences. But those few parallels are pretty cool, and it has me wishing hat Nintendo would do something as cool as creating a modern 2D Kid Icarus and put it on the e-shop.

Wow, somehow I didn't even think of KI when playing it, but reading this made so much sense. Even the speed at which Max moves is a similar pace to Pit.

I 100%'d this the other night, mulled it over for a day and then wrote a review. I gave it a "Worth Buying."

http://elder-geek.com/2012/01/mutant-mudds-review/

One thing I mention in the review that I want to bring up here is that I sort of wish the whole game looked like an 8-bit game. Max's design doesn't really mesh well with his environment, and the Konami sytle NES music would just feel more at home with a more 8-bit looking game.

I really did love the game though, great job Jools. Oh and for anyone curious, totally get this over Mighty Switch Force if you had the choice.

Top Bottom