• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Getting my 360 back. It arrived on monday and they're now shipping it out wtf!? UPS haven't even scanned it in yet. Maybe it took so long because I used a different serial hehe. Or maybe they actually repaired it....

I had it wit this repair center.

Complaint Submitted
Your complaint has been submitted. Your complaint number is: 43----7. The complaint has been transferred to the local BBB to be handled in their system

Business Information
Business ID: 1085-0007000147
Name: Microsoft Customer Service Repair Ctr
Address: Dock 18
City: McAllen
State/County: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 78503

Joeroll

I finally got mine today after 20+ days of waiting. It wasn't a new one like I requested. It's my same one, it works but it's still loud as hell. And that was one of my complaints, bogussssssssssss.

Back on live for some Doom. :D GT = Joeroll

ShowDog

Hey guys...

I don't have a 360, but my regular Xbox just died.

Whenever I try to start it, it just sits at the Xbox screen until eventually the "call for service screen" comes up. It happens with or without a disc inside the system, so it seems to be a harddrive problem.

It always worked perfectly before this, any thought on how I could fix it without spending any money really? This is all so sudden, I thought everything was alright, there were no signs that this was coming...

I just want to play Halo 2 online! I think Dead or Alive Ultimate was the last game I played if that has anything to do with anything. Isn't there a cache I can reset or something, or is that just 360?

Getting damn sick of this replacement 360. It's disconnecting from live every fing 10 minutes or so. I know it's not my internet or network, its something with this fing system.

Got my UPS box today. It doesn't say on the box that its the one you use to send the 360 in. I wonder how many ripped into it only to have to order a new one? I sent it back today. Hopefully it will only take the "7-10 business day" timeframe...

Tabris

Well my 360 just ****ing died. 3 lights and disconnecting/reconnecting does jack.

Worst console ever. Not impressed at all.

I have an extended warranty with a store so I can get a direct replacement, but come on now. I've owned everything from NES to Sega CD to old school PSX to PS2.

None of those failed.

ant1532

Banned
Tabris said:
Well my 360 just ****ing died. 3 lights and disconnecting/reconnecting does jack.

Worst console ever. Not impressed at all.

I have an extended warranty with a store so I can get a direct replacement, but come on now. I've owned everything from NES to Sega CD to old school PSX to PS2.

None of those failed.
Nice decision paying 400 for the worst console ever.

Tabris

Oh, it's okay. I don't think it's the "worst console ever". Just frustrated, that's all.

I'm glad I got that extended warranty though.

FightyF

Banned
Tabris said:
Oh, it's okay. I don't think it's the "worst console ever". Just frustrated, that's all.

I'm glad I got that extended warranty though.

Where did you get the extended warrenty from BTW?

I got a Futureshop/Best Buy warrenty and it will take them 4-6 weeks to fix it!

If I didn't have a 2nd 360 I'd go nuts without it for that long.

Tabris

Fight for Freeform said:
Where did you get the extended warrenty from BTW?

I got a Futureshop/Best Buy warrenty and it will take them 4-6 weeks to fix it!

If I didn't have a 2nd 360 I'd go nuts without it for that long.

I have a futureshop warranty. They better just replace it!

My god microshit is retarded. My replacement system shipped last tues and I got it friday.. Why the hell did they wait until today to just email me this.. Would have been helpful a week ago.. o.o

" Your Xbox Video Game system has been shipped! You can expect to receive it in 2-5 days. Thank you for your patience and get ready to get back into the action! Your shipping information is provided below for your reference:

Carrier Name: UPS "

Tabris

DarkAngelYuna said:
My god microshit is retarded. My replacement system shipped last tues and I got it friday.. Why the hell did they wait until today to just email me this.. Would have been helpful a week ago.. o.o

" Your Xbox Video Game system has been shipped! You can expect to receive it in 2-5 days. Thank you for your patience and get ready to get back into the action! Your shipping information is provided below for your reference:

Carrier Name: UPS "

Maybe you'll get a free one due to their mistake? If so, can I have it while mine is being repaired? ;)

rs7k

My 360 crashed for the first time last night when I was playing NHL07 online. The drive started making weird noises, the commentary cut out, then it totally froze on me. Worked fine after, but still, it's never good when a system crashes on you the first time, especially since I've never had the first Xbox crash on me EVER.

Karg

rs7k said:
My 360 crashed for the first time last night when I was playing NHL07 online. The drive started making weird noises, the commentary cut out, then it totally froze on me. Worked fine after, but still, it's never good when a system crashes on you the first time, especially since I've never had the first Xbox crash on me EVER.

I think NHL '07 is a possible issue. My 360 starting locking up and me last week from playing only this game and ended up with the red circle of doom. Another friend playing online with me had the same issue the same day and got the same red circle.

If your system hasn't done it yet I'd worry about more frequent lock-ups and the red lights o' death. Check the manufacture date on your 360 and hope its before '06 or its still under warranty.

Anyone else having any issues with NHL '07?

rs7k

Karg said:
I think NHL '07 is a possible issue. My 360 starting locking up and me last week from playing only this game and ended up with the red circle of doom. Another friend playing online with me had the same issue the same day and got the same red circle.

If your system hasn't done it yet I'd worry about more frequent lock-ups and the red lights o' death. Check the manufacture date on your 360 and hope its before '06 or its still under warranty.

Anyone else having any issues with NHL '07?

I didn't get the red lights or anything like that, just a cold hard crash. System was made in Feb 06, but it's covered by MS until Oct 08.

Karg

rs7k said:
I didn't get the red lights or anything like that, just a cold hard crash. System was made in Feb 06, but it's covered by MS until Oct 08.

Thats how it started for me, then 4-5 days of scattered play and BAM.

Saurus

Just picked up my 360 yesterday. Got my live account all transferred over and went to download the Dead Rising demo. Heard a click and then the 360 powered off. Turned to look to see what was up (was packing my old xbox up) and it had the 3 red lights of death. WTF...the thing was only on for about 30 minutes total. Powered back up fine and seems to be working normally, should I be worried?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
suh-weet, just got the 3 rings on my week old 360

manufactured in june 2006, dead on oct. 3, 2006?

oh god no.

this would be the first time I've ever had a console break on me so randomly.

strikeselect

just called the wonderful MS customer service line.

I could barely hear the guy on the phone because his voice was drowned out by all the other people talking in the background. I had to tell him to speak up because I didn't understand a word he was saying. Anyways, the guy said my 360 would be getting repaired, not replaced. He said they only do repairs in North America and in Canada they do replacements. I specifically told him that I did NOT want a refurbished console from 05 or early 06. I wanted my console repaired or a brand new replacement.

I went through the trouble of writing down all the info on the back of my 360 just in case MS decides to screw me over with a refurbished console that's not mine.

We'll see how it goes...

Cerrius said:

I could barely hear the guy on the phone because his voice was drowned out by all the other people talking in the background. I had to tell him to speak up because I didn't understand a word he was saying. Anyways, the guy said my 360 would be getting repaired, not replaced. He said they only do repairs in North American and in Canada they do replacements. I specifically told him that I did NOT want a refurbished console from 05 or early 06. I wanted my console repaired or a brand new replacement.

I went through the trouble of writing down all the info on the back of my 360 just in case MS decides to screw me over with a refurbished console that's not mine.

We'll see how it goes...

You're getting a replacement. I just got mine back friday, took a total of 2 weeks. My replacement was made last month so I'm lucky.. You're most likely just getting a refurb though, thats all they gotta do.

rs7k

Cerrius said:

I could barely hear the guy on the phone because his voice was drowned out by all the other people talking in the background. I had to tell him to speak up because I didn't understand a word he was saying. Anyways, the guy said my 360 would be getting repaired, not replaced. He said they only do repairs in North American and in Canada they do replacements. I specifically told him that I did NOT want a refurbished console from 05 or early 06. I wanted my console repaired or a brand new replacement.

We'll see how it goes...

They do replacements in Canada? So if my console ****s up totally, I get a brand new one? Wooohoo!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
anotheronebitesthedustfy2.jpg

Born 11/2005
Death 10/2006

Right after I got addicted to crack (read: NBA2K7), my pipe broke!

Started w/ freezes. During music playback in the dash, during 2K7, then soon after, anything I put in would freeze.

Never got any red lights.

Solution:

Sold the bitch, kept my harddrive, got my money back, went to Gamestop and bought a core with warranty. Only caveat is I won't have a headset until the wireless dealy comes out at the end of the month.

My new one has a manufacture date of August 2006, so it's fresh.

I don't see how you all could justify sending out your shit and paying for it, only to receive some scuffed up used joint in return after going a week or two, or three w/ out your 360. I did all this in a day.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
guess who's joined the club! three lockups in the last five minutes. will i be able to keep my hd when i send the system in for repair? if not, i'll have to back up my saves somehow -- i think my 360 will let me do that much. i'll kill someone if i lose my chromehounds stuff.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
drohne said:
guess who's joined the club! three lockups in the last five minutes. will i be able to keep my hd when i send the system in for repair? if not, i'll have to back up my saves somehow -- i think my 360 will let me do that much. i'll kill someone if i lose my chromehounds stuff.

sorry to hear.

yeah, you keep everything and just send the actual console out. they dont even want the faceplate on it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
thanks -- that's a bit of a relief. i guess this will give me some time to play the ps2 games i've been neglecting. :/

Mr Wispy

Mine died last weekend. Apparently they are going to send me a box to put it in, then I have to organise a date for UPS to come pick it up.
Funny, I was reading this thread a few weeks ago and thinking 'aha :lol ! my 360 is still working fine!'.
Now I'm just another statistic in this ongoing saga of grief.
*drama*

Surfheart

I live in Australia and had imported my launch 360 back in December 2005.

It started playing up about 2 months ago, the occasional RLOD, but I could nearly always get it going again with some *ahem* impact therapy:D

However last week, it never recovered.

So thinking I had nothing to lose, a mate and I pulled it apart and gave it the old famous Hot air gun treatment and it's been solid ever since.

Joeroll

op_ivy said:
sorry to hear.

yeah, you keep everything and just send the actual console out. they dont even want the faceplate on it.

Yeah and they always send your console back with a new faceplate. I have 3 faceplates just from getting consoles repaired.

strikeselect

Well, I've solved my situation.

I decided not to wait weeks for what could've been a dud refurbished system and just cancelled the repair order with MS altogether.

I instead decided to exchange it at GameStop for a new one and had to ask the manager if I could keep my old hard drive and let them keep the other new one from the replacement I was getting.

So far so good, this 360 is very quiet, but after about 10 minutes I can already feel it getting hot as **** at the back.

god damn it

I bought a 1 year warranty with gamestop so I don't have to go through MS's BS customer service again.

Dr_Cogent said:
360 ****ed up. Uncle's 360 ****ed up. First run consoles suck ass wind.

I have launch models of the Playstation, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox that all still work. But my 360 is dead. It's not all launches, it's just this one.

Failure percentage of launch consoles normally is somewhat higher than later runs, but not like this. This is much worse. It's great to see Microsoft doing the right thing about it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn, it feels like it's only a matter of time. :( So many 360s dying.

Somehow, mine continues to work...but for how long? The only crash I've had in the past 5-6 months was during the FEAR demo. I was a bit worried when that first happened. "It starts..." was the first thing that came to my mind, but thankfully, there were no problems post FEAR crash.

Just watch, it'll die right as Gears of War releases or something. I swapped my first PS2 on the day after MGS2 came out in 2001, so it wouldn't be the first time I had a system die around a big release (though, in the end, it turned out that it wasn't a dead system, but a loose screw on the lens...still did the swap, though).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Foreign Jackass said:
What the hell? What's the ratio on this? It looks like there's tons of em just on this board.
What's worse is that not only am I hearing about it on GAF, but I've also encountered a suprising number of people (in the real world) with dead 360s (including those who are very casual about gaming). I personally know of only ONE person with a 360 (besides myself) that hasn't failed. Everybody else is on their 2nd and 3rd units...and it always happens out of the blue.

That's really what worries me the most. Typically, when a piece of hardware starts to go, there are clear signs of problems well before it completely dies out...but 360 deaths seem to occur randomly without any warning.

C4Lukins

Mr Wispy said:
Mine died last weekend. Apparently they are going to send me a box to put it in, then I have to organise a date for UPS to come pick it up.
Funny, I was reading this thread a few weeks ago and thinking 'aha :lol ! my 360 is still working fine!'.
Now I'm just another statistic in this ongoing saga of grief.
*drama*

Go drop it off at a UPS store. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, there should be one close by. There were three withen a 3 mile radius of my house. Arranging a pickup is a pain in the ass, especially if you work or go to school, and they were going to charge me 12 dollars. Just go to the UPS website and do a store locator on your zip code.

fartblast

Banned
i think im just gonna go the amazon route and get that 399.99 360 + free Gears of War

what are the chances that i will get an updated 360 (quieter drive, doesn't run hot as shit, basically was built right)? i'm just worried they'll be sending me an older unit from having so many stocked up. and also... how much is it to be covered for 2 years on their warranty? that way in 2 years i can just send it in for a new one but im hesitant about calling m$ since last time they wouldn't replace my 360 and i told them to get hit by a plane and whatnot. i know they would replace it now but but hey 2 weeks after i sold it (it barely worked) they just decided to replace them all of a sudden. ****ing assholes.

so yah, has anyone ordered one online and got a very recent system? and have they started to use the 65nm cpu process (or was that just a rumor)? i'm starting to wonder if amazon is doing this so they can clear inventory for newer, more refined-on-the-inside 360s.

I updated the list. We're up to 105 dead consoles, with 7 more still on death watch.

I haven't had any issues with my replacement (kw). I wish I'd known I could keep the faceplate, though!

JB1981

adamsappel said:
I updated the list. We're up to 105 dead consoles, with 7 more still on death watch.

I haven't had any issues with my replacement (kw). I wish I'd known I could keep the faceplate, though!

My replacement (June '06 build) has been GREAT so far. Sure, it's loud as hell but I haven't had a single lock-up yet. *Fingers crossed*

Kingpen

Just got done playing Saints row, and my 360 powered down with some kind of whirring noise (very loud fan noise sounding like it was a POS)

I have not got the 3 rings of death ever.... I guess I'll keep playing it and act like that noise isn't anything, but now I'm worried... It is a launch system....

Top Bottom