• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

derFeef said:
Speaking of standing and flat. I had both of my 360´s flat and both died albeit not beeing used THAT much (just look my gamerscore). Theoretically the flat position is better because of the air-suck-in. But everytime I see videos or pictures of 360´s they are standing. Is there any evidence that a flat 360 is less likely to rrod?

@ kpop100
I also think that everything could have caused that, I think you are out of luck here :(

I always thought it was just bad form to have it standing vertically, as accidents can happen leading to a premature death for your 360. A GameStop employee explained to me that he sees tons of broken 360's coming in due to this. He also suggested that the most efficient air flow is through the holes on the top/bottom(if it were vertical the bottom port would be blocked), and that the holes on the sides are pretty useless. No idea if this is true, but I've always kept mine horizontal after seeing a friend's topple over from the vertical position.

Oh I almost forgot, another reason not to have your 360 standing vertically is the risk of a bump causing your disc to be scratched and ruined. The GS guy told me he'd also seen many scratched discs from careless gamers bumping their 360 while the disc is spinning. A good reason to install games to your HDD!

derFeef

Thanks for infos, flat is still the way to go then. I never got any scratched discs as I am always very careful with my console and electronics.

Maybe I´ll buy a notebook cooler and put the 360 on top of that, as already suggested here somewhere. It may help or not, but it gives me a better feeling I think ;)

Sanic

Pandoracell said:
As a follow up to this, I just took my Xbox down to Best Buy to exchange it. They tell me they won't do that unless they can see the problem themselves. So someone takes it and plays for a few minutes, and the problem doesn't occur, so they won't do anything about it.

Do I have any options here? It's happened twice now in two different games since I purchased the thing less than 48 hours ago.

Anyone?

Sanic

sweetvar26 said:
Is that the only Best Buy store in your Town/City? If there is another one, I would try to exchange it at a different store.

There's another one about 40 minutes away I could go to, but wouldn't this be a company wide policy? What would going to another store accomplish?

If there's a Wal*Mart near by try there. They'll accept just about anything they have in stock if you say you bought it, it's defective, and you lost the receipt. My unscrupulous brother scammed them one time by buying a very large HDD and putting his old one back in the box. He then shrink wrapped it and got his money back. He's an asshole, but they were completely oblivious so I guess it's their own fault.

Sanic

sw33tclyde said:
If there's a Wal*Mart near by try there. They'll accept just about anything they have in stock if you say you bought it, it's defective, and you lost the receipt. My unscrupulous brother scammed them one time by buying a very large HDD and putting his old one back in the box. He then shrink wrapped it and got his money back. He's an asshole, but they were completely oblivious so I guess it's their own fault.

Yeah, it sucks that Best Buy's policy is the way it is. I actually asked them if I could film the incident occuring, while veryifying it was the correct console, etc. and they said no:lol. I'm not surprised they did, but to think I could have possibly had to do that, just to return a brad new, broken console....

Kujo

Busted DVD drive for my Jasper Elite :(

Which is funny since I installed all my games to the HDD, so the disc drive was hardly used.

derFeef

UPS braught me a package of joy this morning but I had no time to open it. Is there any indication if I got a new one or if it is "just" repaired? And what do they repair commonly, change the whole motherboard?

Okay i'm having a strange problem. I updated Halo Waypoint and now my 360 freezes 10 seconds after startup everytime. I can't get to the setting screen to clear the cache or anything. Am I fucked?

Brofist

A follow up to my story just a little way up this page, got the broken 360 back from my co-worker. Opened it up and did the penny trick, which revived it. I've put about 15 hours of gameplay on it, so far no problems, not expecting it to last for too long though.

I cant believe my 360 died at the start of the halo beta and even worse i bought the majority of my third party games for this system so that's what 4 or 5 years worth of game data i cant access and i don't have a warranty since its so old. so i guess its just the ps3 for me

does anyone know the phone number i call to complain? Google isn't giving up the goods

Cornbread78

sw33tclyde said:

Beware though, I work in the Electronics Dept. at Wal-Mart (PT) and have seen about 5 people arrested in the past year for commiting Freud by trying to returned Banned RRod units, ETC. Pretty sad actually, but they have been working with M$, Sony and Nin. to crack down on illegitimate returns and scams/Freud.

like the guys trying to retur PS3's with the hard drive swapped out, etc. Not always worth it....

Cornbread78 said:
Beware though, I work in the Electronics Dept. at Wal-Mart (PT) and have seen about 5 people arrested in the past year for commiting Freud by trying to returned Banned RRod units, ETC. Pretty sad actually, but they have been working with M$, Sony and Nin. to crack down on illegitimate returns and scams/Freud.

like the guys trying to retur PS3's with the hard drive swapped out, etc. Not always worth it....

:lol

I guess they took notice after years of getting scammed. Good for them.

RavenHawk

Cornbread78 said:

afrued0001p1.jpg

quickwhips

My last 360 dvd drived and I took it to best buy and they sent me another one in 5 days through the mail. Then my wifes xbox 360 dvd drive died a week later and best buy sent us another refurbishe in like 5 days again. I haven't had any red ring me on me in a while. But The dvd drives dying sucked.

Mine died 4/8/2010
Wife died 4/17/2010spin.

oh well having a backup is nice. :D

I hope next generation ms does something about the dvd drives now that they seem to have the heating issue fixed.

quickwhips said:
My last 360 dvd drived and I took it to best buy and they sent me another one in 5 days through the mail. Then my wifes xbox 360 dvd drive died a week later and best buy sent us another refurbishe in like 5 days again. I haven't had any red ring me on me in a while. But The dvd drives dying sucked.

Mine died 4/8/2010
Wife died 4/17/2010spin.

oh well having a backup is nice. :D

I hope next generation ms does something about the dvd drives now that they seem to have the heating issue fixed.
Do you know what kind of drives you had?
Liteon, samsung?

mintylurb

Bullet82SWE said:
Do you know what kind of drives you had?
Liteon, samsung?
Is there a way to tell which brand is in my 360? I bought a new jasper arcade to replace my falcon unit but boy the new jasper drive makes some scary high pitched noise when reading from game discs..

carlos

So fuck me, I have two consoles to send out for 3 lights and for E74; that was nearly a month ago. I tried to have the shipping label sent to me because I had no way to get to a printer, so I waited and waited and and three weeks passed and I never recieved the labels.

So finally I call up today, and after a tedious 20 minutes of back and forth, they tell me to cancel my service order, and make a new one. So I did that, and tried find the shipping label online to see if I could print it, and it gave me an error message telling me that they couldn't get a label from the courier, contact support.

I call back, explain the situation, and they make me wait for 10 minutes, because they can't seem to figure out why I didn't get the labels nor cant I print them out. Suddenly they come back saying that I'm going to have to pay for shipping to the service place because I'm in PR.

Funny thing was that the microsoft forms had PR as a valid shipping option; they left me waiting three weeks for the goddamned shipping labels!

So it seems I'm outta luck, but before I spend around 50 bucks for shipping two consoles, I wanted to see if there was anyone here from PR who had this happen to them? Seems weird that AL and HI would be covered, if it was a continental usa type of thing....

Not to mention that the whole process on the phone took slightly over an hour....sigh

I think my 360 is dying. It's a 20gb unit, no HDMI (I think they were called "Pro"). It's no longer under warranty. I've been getting screen freezes in Modern Warfare 2 and various other games; when it freezes I can't restart the console using the controller. Sometimes the power button on the console will work at that point, but about half the time the only way to restart it is to pull the plug. I've also started getting annoyingly frequent disc read errors on both (pristine) discs of Halo ODST and on a recently purchased used copy of Oblivion. I've swapped out Oblivion for a different copy so we'll see if those errors continue. I leave plenty of space for ventilation, and the console's not on the floor.

20GB is starting to get annoyingly small as well, so I may just nab a new Elite soon and solve all my problems at once. They're what, like $300 now?

Yep, second copy of Oblivion is giving DREs as well. I guess it's possible that it's just my DVD drive that's going bad. Does anyone fix that for a reasonable price, or should I just buy a new Xbox?

dyergram

My 360 is died today playing my second ever game of halo reach boo. Anyway since its out of warranty I might just take it to a shop to get it repaired while I wait.Anybody have any experience with this? Thought it might be cheaper than sending it to microsoft.

owlbeak

Last November my 360 Elite, with the Falcon chipset, my wife had bought me two years prior finally took a shit two days after Left 4 Dead 2 came out. It had been having problems reading discs, but when L4D2 came out and I popped the disk in it would work, but the menu background was all these wild colors and just garbled pixels. I thought the disc might be bad, but a couple days into playing and I red ringed during the middle of a coop session. :( It never came back on. Started the RMA process, did some research on the SKU numbers for the new Jasper chipsets and went to best buy and picked up a new Arcade with the Jasper and threw my 120gb HD on it.

My bro's arcade system had died last summer and I ended up selling him my repaired Elite system for $100. Though, I was counting on them to just send me a refurbed system and not actually fix the problem. So I got the Elite back, sold it to my bro, and it didn't read discs. Luckily the RROD fix adds a 30 day warranty after repair so I called them up and said it used to read discs fine but now it won't now. I sent it back in and got it fixed for free and now my bro has a working Elite. :) Win-Win!

Mine just died after two years of virtually perfect play.

Fortunately the three red light error is covered under the extended 3 year warranty. They've been pretty quick with it too, sent it out on Tuesday and I've already gotten an e-mail that its on my way to me. Looks like it only took a week.

Reckoner

My Xbox 360 died yesterday with an E73 error and one red ring of dead. I called today the support but they said that they only cover for three years problems with three red rings of dead.

Now I have to try to make them change my warranty date. To do that I just need to call them tomorrow or so and say that the warranty date they have isn't correct and then email them with a coupon/bill with a date after 10th May of 2008. Can anyone help me with this? Just need a scan or a photo of it. PM me if you can help. That'd be appreciated. :)

expy

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
Yep, second copy of Oblivion is giving DREs as well. I guess it's possible that it's just my DVD drive that's going bad. Does anyone fix that for a reasonable price, or should I just buy a new Xbox?
Get it fixed by a third party, or, complain to MS for hours until they cave in and offer you a free repair. Both ways are cheaper than buying new.

RobbieNick said:
My 360 took awhile to start up. I'm getting worried. This would be my fifth one.
smh

Foofaraw

My roommate was playing Super Street Fighter IV and the screen got grainy and green. Now my tv does not register a video signal from the Xbox.

I have tried changing were it was input, and the type. Now I'm like to be out a 360 all summer if they will even repair it.

Does anyone know of a fix for the video ceasing to work?

Bearthgar

Banned
Got my first 360 around 6months to a year after launch. Lasted around a year and a half. My current one has lasted since then, but does have occasional disc read issues.

BigFwoosh

Came home from work yesterday.

Me: How come you're watching Netflix on the laptop?
GF: I was trying to watch it on the Xbox, but it froze up and showed some weird colors.
Me: Man, don't tell me that.
*Turns on Xbox*
Me: =(
GF: Why is it red?
Me: =(((((

Facism

Right, my old pro red ringed and we brought it back from the dead. Then it died again.

A friend gave me his Elite, because it was fucked and thought we could fix it. We did, but now we get this issue where after 30 mins or so the game locks up and there's artifacting down the screen.

Overheating GPU or just plain fucked GPU? We've opened it and there's no sign of heat damage to the chip. I can only assume the fan isn't doing it's job well enough.

Bah. Now I'm getting:

Frequent DREs in Oblivion during gameplay
Frequent DREs in the Halo Reach beta
DREs in Halo 3 multiplayer
MW2 freezing nearly every match
Castlevania SOTN froze yesterday - which hints that this isn't just a problem with the DVD drive since that's an XBLA game running off the hard drive
Lost Planet 2 demo froze after a few minutes - another game running off the hard drive

Oftentimes when a game freezes, if I'm in party chat I can still talk, but nothing else works. About half the time I can turn the Xbox off using the power button on the front of the console; the rest of the time the only way to power it off is by unplugging the power cable.

I took a can of compressed air to it but no dust came out. I'd probably have to take it apart to really address any dust issues, if that's what's going on. 20GB is too small anyway, so I think I'm just gonna buy a new elite.

Halo Edition 360 just red ringed....

Wow. Speechless. I mean i've red ringed before, but this one hurt me more.

Not even because of the BETA, but I just don't feel like going through this again, plus it was my beloved Master Chief Xbox...hope Microsoft replaces it with the same one, if not, I better be getting a new Elite box with a 250 GB

but oh well, such is life, I guess.

Valhalla can't come soon enough. May settle for an Elite Jasper though, not sure if I feel like waiting for Valhalla/Natal bundle to come out at the end of the year (or October) blah blah blah. We will see at E3.

Wazzim

Banned
BootlegSnackz said:
Halo Edition 360 just red ringed....

Wow. Speechless. I mean i've red ringed before, but this one hurt me more.

Not even because of the BETA, but I just don't feel like going through this again, plus it was my beloved Master Chief Xbox...hope Microsoft replaces it with the same one, if not, I better be getting a new Elite box with a 250 GB

but oh well, such is life, I guess.

Valhalla can't come soon enough. May settle for an Elite Jasper though, not sure if I feel like waiting for Valhalla/Natal bundle to come out at the end of the year (or October) blah blah blah. We will see at E3.
You won't get it back, just bring it to someone who fixes 360's so you can keep this limited edition 360.

Aspiring

Wazzim said:
You won't get it back, just bring it to someone who fixes 360's so you can keep this limited edition 360.

Well not completely true. I have a US machine and live in Australia. I told them my situation and that my games wont work on a PAL unit and i needed my same console back and i got the same console back. So if it means heaps to you, just ring them and tell them you want the same one back. I dont know if it would make any difference but my warranty had expired and i had to pay though. It shouldnt make a diference, but who knows.

If they can gut out the halo 360 and stick in a new mobo and shit then try to get them to do that, sucks that you can lose a LE design like that because of faults.

Reckoner

What the...

Yesterday I did the trick with the towels but I didn't wait for it to go off. Simply, I was tired of hearing the Xbox 360 because it was taking too long to reset and then, I restarted the console myself and it started working flawlessly and doing less noise. I think that covering the vents made the Xbox 360 to clean the dust itselft, because I saw dust getting off the case.

The error in case was E73 1RROD.

I just got a quick question.

Are the Modern Warfare 2 Limited Edition 360's Jasper? I have a console at a store near me on clearance for $249 and I think that is a hot price.

Just want to make sure it is a Jasper before I pull the trigger. Manufactured date is -> 2009-09-08.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
sweetvar26 said:
I just got a quick question.

Are the Modern Warfare 2 Limited Edition 360's Jasper? I have a console at a store near me on clearance for $249 and I think that is a hot price.

Just want to make sure it is a Jasper before I pull the trigger. Manufactured date is -> 2009-09-08.
Yes, a 360 with that MFR date that is definitely a Jasper.

OniShiro

Banned
Mine died last saturday, it was a Pro with the 20gb hard drive and no HDMI, it had red ringed a couple times before but I managed to fix it by replacing the xclamps with bolts and changing the thermal paste and fans with better ones.

This time it looks like it's dead for good :(

So I'll probably get an Arcade, but I have a doubt, do I have to do something special to use my 20gb hard drive on the new Arcade or is it just plug it and my profile and saved games will be there?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
OniShiro said:
Mine died last saturday, it was a Pro with the 20gb hard drive and no HDMI, it had red ringed a couple times before but I managed to fix it by replacing the xclamps with bolts and changing the thermal paste and fans with better ones.

This time it looks like it's dead for good :(

So I'll probably get an Arcade, but I have a doubt, do I have to do something special to use my 20gb hard drive on the new Arcade or is it just plug it and my profile and saved games will be there?
Everything will be there, just as if you were still using your old console. However, you'll need to use the license transfer tool to transfer the rights for any downloaded content from your old console to your new one. It's pretty painless, unless you have a ton of DLC (I did).

Now for a question of my own:

I'm finally getting around to selling my dead launch unit — I know I won't get much for it, but it's complete with box and all accessories, which can't hurt. Now, the HDD was wiped when I did the transfer process to the new one that came with my Elite, but is there any way at all that someone could recover my personal information from the console if they manage to get it working again? I know this is a dumb question (since my profile was stored on the HDD, and the console isn't one with internal memory), but I guess I just want to make sure there's nothing I'm missing...

vatstep said:
Everything will be there, just as if you were still using your old console. However, you'll need to use the license transfer tool to transfer the rights for any downloaded content from your old console to your new one. It's pretty painless, unless you have a ton of DLC (I did).

Now for a question of my own:

I'm finally getting around to selling my dead launch unit — I know I won't get much for it, but it's complete with box and all accessories, which can't hurt. Now, the HDD was wiped when I did the transfer process to the new one that came with my Elite, but is there any way at all that someone could recover my personal information from the console if they manage to get it working again? I know this is a dumb question (since my profile was stored on the HDD, and the console isn't one with internal memory), but I guess I just want to make sure there's nothing I'm missing...

I traded my broken 360 into GameStop for ~70 bucks without the HDD. No idea about wiping the HDD though.

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
Long story and not a lot of time sorry if some of this doesn't make sense.

Wow... I have no idea what just happened to me. I'm on my second 360, my first one RROD but I bought a warranty from Best Buy. When I brought my original 20 gig pro in they took care of me and exchange it out for a 60 gig pro because mine was no longer being made. My xbox was still under manufactures warranty so it did not use my plan.

When I originally bought the xbox it was in a package deal with a tv and some other stuff. I also bought it on a tax free weekend. Apparently when I brought the first one back they were supposed to refund my money and make me pay 80 bucks for the 60 gig and they didn't.

Fast forward today. I bring in my 60gig (HDMI port failed) and they tell me that the plan does not match my sku, being that it is a 60gig and my plan was for a 20gig. I didn't know that their was a difference. This is where it gets crazy. They tell me that there is nothing that they can do because it doesn't my system. I had the receipt to show them what happened when I brought the 20 gig in. After me asking a bunch of question the person that I talked to obviously didn't understand what I was telling her, they got the supervisor. She came over and told me that there was nothing they could do because the original person who processed me before did it wrong and that I was supposed to be charged more money for the new one. She then tells one of her workers to call corporate to see if they will honor the policy and they finally agree to after an hour on the phone with them.

The the manager leaves and tells me to go get another one and that they will take care of me. They brought the other xbox over which is a 120 gig because they don't carry the 60 gig version anymore. The girl tells me that she can't do this one even though it is the one that would fit my plan. She says that I can get a arcade and that will match the price I paid for the orginial 20gig. I was confused for a moment. I said but that would mean that I would lose a HDD. She said that, that was the only thing that she could do. I told her to get her supervisor back because I did not understand what was happening.

The supervisor talks to the girl and figures out what was going on. She then tells me that the arcade unit is the only one that I can get because unless I pay 80 bucks for the 120gig. I tell her that I am not going to pay for something that my policy should cover. She then tells me that the policy does not cover getting a 120 gig. I was starting to get a little agitated at this point but I remained calm. The supervisor was getting pretty mad because I was not understanding what was going on. She eventually told me to repeat what she said to her. I kind of lost it then but I didn't yell or swear. She told me that she was going to refund my money in the form of store credit. I didn't want the store credit I just wanted my xbox which she did no offer me. I get the credit and leave. I made a phone call to corporate to only be told that the supervisor was right but they would give me a 35 dollar gift card for my trouble. I told them that I didn't the gift card I just want my system back. I also asked why couldn't they do the rapid exchange process like they were going to do when I first came in today now that the policy was moved over my sku. He tells me that they don't to lose 160 bucks when they already lost 80 on me the first time.

Needless to say I went back gave them the store credit back and got my xbox back(still no HDMI) I guess I am screwed unless I pay the 80 bucks. I'm still confused about the whole ordeal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
UGH.

I am so pissed off right now.

I haven't played my 360 for months - months! - and today I buy RDR excited to hook my 360 back up.

I tried opening my DVD drive - nothing happens. Neither pressing the button on the machine or trying to open the tray via the dashboard works. I notice that the middle power light is flashing.

Then the system spontaneously resets itself. Lo and behold the DVD drive will open now. So I pop in the disc, install the game and start playing.

A couple of hours later, as I'm racing across the desert...the system spontaneously resets itself. Now the light is flashing again, and the DVD drive won't open nor will it recognise the disc. Tried resetting, still won't work.

F&%"£"£**!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Err...ok. After several power downs and power ups, on my last power down just now, my DVD drive seemed to 'pop' backwards into the machine. Rightio then?

And now my DVD drive seems to be working. At least the green light isn't flashing anymore.

WTF? I'm not sure if I like the idea of my DVD drive popping around randomly, but is there anything I can do to keep it just as it is right now?

Top Bottom