• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

watership

gofreak said:
Err...ok. After several power downs and power ups, on my last power down just now, my DVD drive seemed to 'pop' backwards into the machine. Rightio then?

And now my DVD drive seems to be working. At least the green light isn't flashing anymore.

WTF? I'm not sure if I like the idea of my DVD drive popping around randomly, but is there anything I can do to keep it just as it is right now?

This sounds like an issue my friend had with this launch console. The dvd drive just seemed to be dislodged and would randomly refuse to open/close. It was over a year old so he took it completely apart and saw that somehow it was easily movable. I'm not sure how he fixed it, but he secured it firmly in the chassis and he never had that issue again. Might be that simple for you.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
watership said:
This sounds like an issue my friend had with this launch console. The dvd drive just seemed to be dislodged and would randomly refuse to open/close. It was over a year old so he took it completely apart and saw that somehow it was easily movable. I'm not sure how he fixed it, but he secured it firmly in the chassis and he never had that issue again. Might be that simple for you.

I think this is the case. It seems to be absurdly easy for it to fall in and out of place. I've been trying it again since I got home...it worked first time, but I barely got the game loaded and the system reset...and blinky blink blink. No DVD drive being read, wouldn't open.

Haven't got it working again since :| Seems crazy that it would be OK one moment, then not the next. I'm obviously not touching the system so I've no idea how it could be becoming dislodged. It definitely seems like somehow it's becoming dislodged, then somehow going back into place.

Ok, so here's my problem.

3 years ago my brother got himself a new 360 and gave me his old one for my b-day (cheap right?). Now he had to send it in to get fixed once already. Well just yesterday it starts acting up on me. I'll turn it on and the system will freeze or the screen will turn green or I'll be playing a game and the screen will pixelate on the right side. I'm pretty sure the warranty is up.

What do I do gaf? Bear in mind that money IS an issue

Henchmen21 said:

3 years ago my brother got himself a new 360 and gave me his old one for my b-day (cheap right?). Now he had to send it in to get fixed once already. Well just yesterday it starts acting up on me. I'll turn it on and the system will freeze or the screen will turn green or I'll be playing a game and the screen will pixelate on the right side. I'm pretty sure the warranty is up.

Looks like your GPU has some heat problems and dieing of it .
What i would do is open it up , replace the heat compound MS used for AS and do some cooling mods , you can find lots of info when u google for it .
I personally replaced the cooling paste , put a passive 50 ct heatsink on the scaler chip and installed a zalman fan control on both my 360 .
Even my launch unit still works perfectly .

Presto

Henchmen21 said:

I fixed mine with similar problems just a couple days ago, I got rid of the Microsoft thermal compound and replaced it with artic silver, I even used the stock heatsink again and it's working great.

Gamejunky

Just lost my third xbox :( Was starting up a game of RDR and the colors were all funny and washed out. Turned the system off then back on and now I no longer get a picture and only get sound. Of course my warranty expired two months ago. Any advice gaf? They want 100 to fix it. Should I buy a new one? Get it fixed? Canadian GAF any deals on 360's anywhere?

Hyunkel6

Gamejunky said:
Just lost my third xbox :( Was starting up a game of RDR and the colors were all funny and washed out. Turned the system off then back on and now I no longer get a picture and only get sound. Of course my warranty expired two months ago. Any advice gaf? They want 100 to fix it. Should I buy a new one? Get it fixed? Canadian GAF any deals on 360's anywhere?

This is a pretty good deal if you have not played any of the 6 featured games (ends May 27). However, I would personally wait for the slim if I was looking to buy a new one.

Hyunkel6 said:
This is a pretty good deal if you have not played any of the 6 featured games (ends May 27). However, I would personally wait for the slim if I was looking to buy a new one.
Hmm, anyone offering a similar deal in the USA? My 360 is on its last legs and Pinball Hall of Fame is pretty much the only game that doesn't freeze on it. I'd buy a new Elite today but I'm concerned about a potential price drop around e3. What if I ordered it on Amazon, could I get Amazon to refund the difference if the price drops in a couple weeks?

Ettie

I have inherited my brother's Falcon. When you turn it on, there is no sound, no audio, and no red lights of any kind. The drive bay still opens, and the green lights still flash when you try to sync a controller. (I don't have a controller to sync.)

A few places on the internet say the thing is toast, same problem as RROD but without a display to prove it. Any credence to that, or better yet, anyone have a self-repair method for this problem?

If it's completely busted, +1 to Falcon failures I guess.

Woohoo, got my new Elite to replace my dying Pro yesterday. Hooked up HDMI so I can finally run it at 1080p. Redownloaded most of my XBLA games. Tried out the snazzy new black controller, but the motherfucking dpad is worse than my old one. Whoever said new 360's have better dpads is full of shit. Analog sticks and triggers feel tighter, probably because my old controller has seen a few years of use. The one thing I still need to do is transfer my saved games over. A buddy is going to lend me his 256mb memory card to take care of that.

I guess the other thing to do is remove personal info from the old hard drive and then sell my old Pro to Gamestop so some dumb motherfucker can waste his money on it.

surly

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
The one thing I still need to do is transfer my saved games over. A buddy is going to lend me his 256mb memory card to take care of that.
You can use any USB stick (as long as it's not super-slow) as a memory unit now mate. Not sure if you're aware.

When I was playing a game earlier today it sounded like something came loose inside the Xbox and now it won't read any disks anymore.
Anyone else had this pronlem?

Edit: yay, fixed it myself. had to open the dvd-player and superglue the magnet.

;( mine just got a 1 quarter red flash, suuuuuuuuux, had it for about 2 years maybe. Had one since launch but I gave my old one to my brother (which died on him awhile after also).

>_>

;(

Numpt3

I've just turned mine on to be greeted by three lovely red lights :(. This is my second 360, the last one red ringed then soon after packed in completely.
Been faffing around trying to register it for a repair on the interwebs but the damn site would not take my address for some reason so I had to give MS a ring..

Ah well I'm going on holiday for two weeks in a few days so it isn't to bad I suppose, hopefully it will be back before me :lol

Welllll its red ring o'clock, thanks Microsoft, for the second time.

I'm in a dilly of a pickle with recovering my gamertag, though. Account is tied to a hotmail account - which is now apparently completely unable to be recovered itself, even with the correct name and password. I am trying to contact hotmail, but yeah. Wow. I don't know. Maybe I suck at computers?

AcciDante

I just renewed my XBL, bought Red Faction Guerilla, and got the RROD. I'm out of warranty by this point, too. Anyone have any experience on fixing it themselves?

My launch console finally red ringed (0103 - GPU). I apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find any info. If I send in console, which chip is in the refurbs these days? Is it the Jasper or Falcon by chance?

Reckoner

I'm desperate of thinking that I'm going to loose all the things I've bought -- my savegames, my Microsoft Points (2620) and everything I did with my gamertag. :(

A month ago, I changed my Live ID on Xbox Live but I was having a problem with my Messenger. Trying to solve that problem, I canceled my Live ID account thinking that couldn't happen something wrong since I was going to reactivate it again right after canceling it.

Well, I signed in without any problem, minutes after. Played, did all my gaming "work", and hours later, when I tried to connect to the Xbox Live again, a pop-up telling that my Live ID was invalid appeared, I clicked on the "Change Windows Live ID" option, went through all the steps and... an error appeared -- 80153410. Thinking that it could be solved after a month - the time limit for each Live ID change -, I waited. Now, it makes today one full month since that happened and guess what -- the error still appears. Whenever I try.

I'm becoming really afraid if it is not solved, since I contacted the Xbox Support right after all this happened (a month ago) and they haven't solved the problem yet, just contacted my two weeks ago, again, asking me some more details. And nothing. Nothing more.

What do you guys think? Please, try to recomfort me. Really, I can't even think what I'm going to do if the problem isn't solved. Most probably I'll sell my Xbox 360 or something. I can't really believe that there are a lot of probabilities of me losing all the things I purchased, all my gamerscore, my savegames -- this thinking that I have lots of savegames with 100% completion, some of them Arcade Game. Hard Arcade Games.

I'm going to call the Support again tomorrow and try to complaint again and maybe demand that they solve the problem tomorrow while I call them. They really need to work on this, since I paid for their service.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
So my first 360 just died :( I think it got jealous cos I'm planning to upgrade my PC and the Xbox wants new hardware too :lol

Best part is.. the xbox.com support thing says that my "regular warranty" ran out 3 months ago..

Not sure if I understood the "3 year warranty"-thing right, i'm now praying for free repair. :(

carlos

just wanted to post this just in case it happens to anyone else:

I had 2 360's die on me e74, 3 lights;
Was told I had to pay for shipping via UPS

UPS store told me it would be 80 bucks each; I said fuck that and sent them via the US postal service for 14 bucks each.

Just got them back and working, so go USPS and fuck UPS

heavyness

Seems my DVD drive on my Elite is spinning the disc even when I'm not playing that game (either at dashboard or playing arcade games). It's not a full on spin (like when you play a game off the disc) but just enough to rumble and make noise. It's happening with my Alan Wake disc in (and Alan Wake is installed to the HDD).

Also, the disc is not spinning when I eject the disk.

Any ideas?

Matchew

Just lost my first xbox. Every time I start to play a game it freezes and I have tried 4 different games now, and they all freeze. Went to the website did everything it said to do, and still not working. My warranty is out and they want 99$ to fix. Has anybody else had problems with freezing, and have a method that I can try to make it work. If not any deals in the U.S?

Pumpkins

My Xbox might be dying, so my story may be in preparation... Help GAF?

I was playing some Dead Rising tonight and suddenly the entire screen went bright green and there were a bunch of stray artifacts everywhere. It kind of looked like the Matrix a little bit?

After restarting the console it continued to do this two or three more times (even after making sure all the cables were plugged in). I later unplugged the console entirely and let it sit so that I could register the unit and check the warranty.

After plugging it back in and giving it a go, it started working fine and hasn't gone all funky since.

Is this an E74 error in the making? ... Is my GPU basically done for?

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
My Xbox RRoD for the second time. I need an advice guys.

My Xbox was almost a launch unit (circa 2006). It RRoD just before GTA4 came out (beginning 2008). And now it RRoD as I was gonna start playing RDR :(

Am I out of warranty or does the 3 years warranty reset itself after the first RRoD ?

If I'm out of warranty, should I bitch or is it useless ?

Milhouse31 said:

My Xbox was almost a launch unit (circa 2006). It RRoD just before GTA4 came out (beginning 2008). And now it RRoD as I was gonna start playing RDR :(

Am I out of warranty or does the 3 years warranty reset itself after the first RRoD ?

You're out of warranty.

As for bitching, it won't get you anywhere but if it will make you feel better to let out your frustrations on a hapless customer support rep, go nuts.

I would just go buy a new Xbox 360 S.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Milhouse31 said:

Pretty sure you're out of warranty.

Baron

I bought a brand new 360 arcade system earlier this past week for the clearanced $150 price - things went fine for 4 or 5 days, until today. I bought a used copy of Resident Evil 5, and the system refuses to play the disc. It showed up as RE5 with the picture of the game on the drive icon area in the dashboard, but when I went to play the game it gave me an error saying it has a read error and told me to clean the disc and reset the console. The disc was pristine, barely a blemish - but I wiped it down all the same.

Put the disc back in, and now it won't recognize the game at all, and says it is a DVD movie! I tried another game of mine, and it loaded up instantly without any issues. Put RE5 back in, won't load at all.

Should I be worried? Should I go exchange the system while I can? Or do some game discs have a history of being defective and this sometimes happens? Now I feel like I should just forget the arcade model entirely and fork out the extra for the slim.

Baron

One other thing - it's about the Play & Charge kit. The instructions say it will display a green light when fully charged, but no green light goes on on my device. The red light just turns off. Does anyone else have a P&C kit that has no green light? I'm worried it was damaged during shipping. I bought it off Amazon and the box arrived crushed, the package inside was crushed as well.

I also charged it up the first time overnight plugged not into my Xbox, but into one of those Apple USB ipod chargers plugged into the wall. Would that damage it? The battery provides power just fine, there's just no green light when I fully charge it overnight.

Rat Salad

Banned
Ettenra said:
I have inherited my brother's Falcon. When you turn it on, there is no sound, no audio, and no red lights of any kind. The drive bay still opens, and the green lights still flash when you try to sync a controller. (I don't have a controller to sync.)

A few places on the internet say the thing is toast, same problem as RROD but without a display to prove it. Any credence to that, or better yet, anyone have a self-repair method for this problem?

If it's completely busted, +1 to Falcon failures I guess.

Its toast. The same thing happened to me about a month ago. When the console boots up there's no picture,sound,or RROD warning,thats what mine did.

None of the 4 quadrants where it lights red or green even lit up. I bought a $20.00 X-Clamp fix it kit,didn't solve the problem but it did have the 360 finally light up with the RROD after that. Then I opened it up again and used a heat gun around the cpu and gpu,applied new thermal paste,added washers to the heat sinks,didn't help one bit.

Finally took it to a local repair man where he only charges if it can be fixed,and I was out of luck. He said the soldering balls under the gpu were totally shot,no chance for fixing it. I have read that the no picture/no audio problem can be fixed,but its the worst type of RROD you can have. Even if its fixed it won't last long before it dies for good.

Trade it in for credit or just sell it to someone off Craig's List for $40.00
You will have buyers for it pretty quickly,mine was sold some two hours after I posted my add to Craig's List,these guys want dead 360's to gut and rebuild I guess.
Then head to Walmart and buy an arcade for $150.00,take advantage of the current $50.00 gift card they throw in before the deal ends though.
Then slap your old HD on it and youre set. Or use a flash drive for extra space if needed.
One can buy a 360 slim,but then again why not get one say 18 months down the line when Kenect is bundled with it for cheap.

The current arcades run pretty cool,but just to be on the safe side I have a fan blowing on it during all times. Pathetic but this is what this gen. is about now.

stawnkald

My third 360 (a MS refurb that replaced my 2nd console which died after 9 months) just shit the bed this morning after about 2.5 years of use. No RROD, but I was playing Crackdown 2 when suddenly the picture got all funky. I figured it was some connection problem so I shut the system down and restarted...and no picture. Audio is fine, I can hear it boot up and log me into XBL, but no video. I tried my other cables (VGA and composite), same deal. My extended warranty ran out the first part of June. Sigh. I took some vacation this week and was going to settle in for an Alan Wake marathon today too. :(

I want to grab one of the $150 arcades (I kind of wanted one anyway for the HDMI port so this kind of accelerates the process, annoying as it is), but before I do does Gamestop still give something for unplayable 360's?

JRW

My original launch 360 (Oct 2005 build) has RROD a few times over its lifespan and I was able to revive it each time (It has never been sent to MS) with xclamp fix, re-grease CPU / GPU , tighten up xclamp fix etc. but the last RROD was an E74 error which was a first and nothing I tried would fix it until I read about a heatgun fix for E74, I did that and so far its been flawless for 2 weeks, we'll see how long it lasts this time.

It pains me to see so many fellow gamers unable to enjoy themselves fully or enjoy themselves at all due to the mediocrity of the xbox's manufacturing. At the same time, anyone who buys an xbox knows what they are getting into i suppose. Soldier on warriors, soldier on

Onion_Relish said:
It pains me to see so many fellow gamers unable to enjoy themselves fully or enjoy themselves at all due to the mediocrity of the xbox's manufacturing. At the same time, anyone who buys an xbox knows what they are getting into i suppose. Soldier on warriors, soldier on
:lol

JRW said:
My original launch 360 (Oct 2005 build) has RROD a few times over its lifespan and I was able to revive it each time (It has never been sent to MS) with xclamp fix, re-grease CPU / GPU , tighten up xclamp fix etc. but the last RROD was an E74 error which was a first and nothing I tried would fix it until I read about a heatgun fix for E74, I did that and so far its been flawless for 2 weeks, we'll see how long it lasts this time.

If you ever open up a 360 stick a single 50 cent passive ram cooler on that scaler chip to prevent E74 , or better you have just enough room for two !

DSCF1902-1.jpg

Onion_Relish said:

Amazing :lol

TheUsual

Gold Member
Onion_Relish said:

:lol

I had my launch ps3 bust on me. There will always be lemons.

SonComet

My 07 360 just died. 1-2 weeks after getting my 360 S. So dead 07 premium and 1 360 S dead. New 360 S + new arcade going strong.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just died. I was watching Netflix. Now I may never know how this episode of Hey Arnold ends!

So, my 360 has been opened before. It's very out of warranty. Any way I can fix this?

EDIT: It's back alive. What do I do? Are these the first signs of an inevitable perma-red-ring?

burnfout

So my elite died completely on me, with still a game in it :(

Out of warranty:(

If I buy a slim, can I transfer my old harddrive without my old xbox working? With a transfer kit or something?

Any way to open the disc tray to get red faction out of it???

Cmagus

I think mine is going goes all weird after like 5 min i tested other systems and they all worked fine so i know its not my tv looks all wierd like a painting come to life

vlcsnap-2010-07-10-23h43m01s66.png

witness

Well I got an E74 error this evening while playing Forza 3, just as I became completely addicted to it again the past week. Already called up MS, its a 2008 so thank goodness its still under warranty. Second time now I've had a 360 thats died. Thanks MS, now I can get back to finishing Uncharted 2 and giving LBP some attention, at least gamefly sent me the PS3 version of Red Dead instead or I would have been pissed.

Top Bottom