• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

fse

just filed a complaint today, hopefully it does something. their customer service was shitty (xbox)

I just got mine back today, but it was one of those crappy refurbished units and there was all sorts of dirt and scratches on it. So I called the customer service again to tell them that it was unacceptable for them to replace my console with this piece of junk (manufactured back in october '05). They told me that I could just send this one back (HD included this time) and I would be sent a new one.

Hope it actually turns out to be new.

JuanMR2

JuanMR2 said:
My only problem now is I can't get Media Center to work with my new 360. I got Windows Media Connect to work with no problem. Has anyone received the following error message when trying to install the Media Center Extender?

"Setup Error

A problem occurred during Setup. Please run Setup again. If the problem persists, contact your computer manufacturer for assistance. To exit Setup, select Finish"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916179/en-us nothing here applied.

Found the fix, just in case anyone runs into the same error.

Go to Start/Run "REGSVR32 ATL.DLL" hit enter

koam

The errors I mentioned about my 360 seem to only happen with Dead Rising. I've had my 360 crash about a dozen times already but only with Dead Rising so i think it's really the game at this point.

360 is broken now. I got the red lights a few days ago while trying to watch Scarface but worked fine afterwards. Now it won't even go into the UI without 'the lights'. Bought it 11/22 with zero major issues without some freezing in a few games (Oblivion, Dead Rising). Of course I didn't get the extended warranty and don't have the money right now to send it to MS. Yay for me. I'm thinking about just waiting for Wii/PS3 but those launch units will probably have just as many issues as the 360 launch units. Ugh.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i'm being very hypothetical about this, don't think i'll end up doing it, but...

if i were to buy a new unit from target or wherever, and swap my failing unit with the new one and take it back, is there any way they would be able to tell that the unit in the box isn't the original? it seems too easy to be true to get a newer unit this way. anyone done this successfully?

mattiewheels said:
i'm being very hypothetical about this, don't think i'll end up doing it, but...

if i were to buy a new unit from target or wherever, and swap my failing unit with the new one and take it back, is there any way they would be able to tell that the unit in the box isn't the original? it seems too easy to be true to get a newer unit this way. anyone done this successfully?
As long as they don't actual try to match serial numbers, which they probably won't if they're busy, then you can do it.

bengraven

mattiewheels said:

I did this with an Xbox 1 and it worked.

Well, add me to the list of people who's Xbox360 died. I've been here since launch telling of how my system has still been holding up, regardless of which games I've played with it.

Well, I got the white dashed lines of death. The game still works, but after anything between 5-20 minutes, my 360 dies on me. The game freezes and white dashed lines appear on screen.

I'm outside of the warranty, so I have to pay $140. I can't afford that now. And I don't have a credit card. So it will be a few weeks before I can pay them so that they'll send me the box; after that it could take a few months before I get it back.

What's with us having to pay them BEFORE the thing is repaired? Something to do with the fact that I'll likely end up with a re-furbished system? It's ****ing jacked.

But anyway. Yeah. Just add me to that list. That's what I get for having faith in a launch day system. (this has really got me ****ing down...heh...)

methodman

Banned
My system has been broken for the last 5 weeks; I still havn't touched madden 07. I called microsoft 5 weeks ago... i got my shipment box 2 weeks ago, and sent it out the same day. Good thing it's all for free, but still, this was such a ****ing annoyance. I was just starting to download Dead Rising demo, and i got the three lights of doom.

Launch Xbox 360 here, still working perfectly.

What I wonder is, for those having troubles with the tech support, couldn't you simply get really hostile over the phone in order to avoid having to pay 130$, or even a dime, for such a deceitfully fraudulent product?

Understandably, this might be uncalled for with casual phone representatives cordially doing their duty, however in life bellicosity is often the sole way to be taken seriously and obtain justice.

Mojovonio

Banned
Razoric said:
My Xbox 360 is dead. :(

So add me to whatever list you guys are keeping track of.

What a crock of shit. :mad:

Welcome to the club. If the console didn't have so many sexy games, i wouldn't bother repairing it. They're going to sell me a dirty scratched up refurbed that will work for a few weeks then die. I will forever be in console repair limbo.

rs7k

Quick question, did the 2-year warranty I purchased from MS cover all my potential repairs for the system? Or is it just a replacement deal?

Mojovonio said:
Welcome to the club. If the console didn't have so many sexy games, i wouldn't bother repairing it. They're going to sell me a dirty scratched up refurbed that will work for a few weeks then die. I will forever be in console repair limbo.

Do what I did, tell them you wont accept the pieces of trash they keep sending you. You might not have as much luck though.

bengraven

tambourine said:
Launch Xbox 360 here, still working perfectly.

What I wonder is, for those having troubles with the tech support, couldn't you simply get really hostile over the phone in order to avoid having to pay 130$, or even a dime, for such a deceitfully fraudulent product?

Understandably, this might be uncalled for with casual phone representatives cordially doing their duty, however in life bellicosity is often the sole way to be taken seriously and obtain justice.

I had a hard time with it for two reasons: I knew they were closing in a half an hour and it was late at night there in Cali, so I felt bad.

Two: they were just doing their job.

Three: I do the exact same thing they do only with a different company (and we deal with frozen foods), so I know what it's like.

I'm going to call back in a few days and get hostile, maybe.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Came home to play some Saint's Row last night and got about 10 seconds into the game when I got the dreaded 3 red lights of death. Customer support was helpful, again, and is sending out a box... again.

See, this is the 2nd time I've had to send one in. Unacceptable Microsoft! I love your console, I love the game, but damn it, I want a working console!

Also, as many have pointed out, the "3-5% failure rate" is total BS. Out of the 6 guys that I work with that own 360's, 4 of us have had failures, and I'm the 2nd one that's had to send it back multiple times.

Big Nate said:
Also, as many have pointed out, the "3-5% failure rate" is total BS. Out of the 6 guys that I work with that own 360's, 4 of us have had failures, and I'm the 2nd one that's had to send it back multiple times.

Thats cause they keep sending you your friend's broken 360ies, and the other way around of course.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Fallout-NL said:
Thats cause they keep sending you your friend's broken 360ies, and the other way around of course.

And thus the vicious cycle continues...

3 weeks ago when I sent it in for the first time (after it had been working fine since 1 month after launch, btw) they told me 7-10 days turn around. Last night it was 2-2.5 weeks turn around.

trmas

Banned
This is why you pay for the Best Buy protection plan. $50 got me two years, and I'm on my second brand new 360. Lets see how long this one lasts...

rs7k

trmas said:
This is why you pay for the Best Buy protection plan. $50 got me two years, and I'm on my second brand new 360. Lets see how long this one lasts...

Did you buy a protection or replacement plan? If it's the latter, you pay $50 for the replacement you're getting, and Best Buy won't replace your second one if it breaks again and you'll have to rely on MS. At least that's what happened to my friend (in Canada).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good lord, I can't believe how many 360s are dying.

Hopefully, mine will continue to function, as I haven't had any issues yet...but it seems like it could literally just fail at random. This is completely different from the old PS2 situation where you had clear signs months before you could no longer play any games. OF course, in that case, the hardware wasn't dying, it was composite problem of dust and a voltage screw moving out of place. Could easily be fixed, once you learned what you were doing. These 360s seem to be straight up failing (as in, a component completely dies).

trmas

Banned
rs -

I asked this question when I picked up the second one, and they told me if it breaks again just to bring it in. Free replacement in store. Apparently doesn't matter how many times it breaks. When I left she just winked and said see you again around X-Mas!

I bought the protection plan at the initial purchase.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The only thing that bothers me about this is that still, after all these defects, we don't know what the cause is! Is it heat? Shoddy manufacturing?

Why no class action talk?

If my shit does die, I'm selling it on the street or on CL. Get the cash and cop a fresh one w/ a warranty.

I'm not sending out shit!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
trmas said:

Luckily I bought the extended warranty with mine, so I'm covered until '08 sometime, but still the Best Buy protection thang sounds great, as long as they don't hassle you too much.

I can chalk another coworker up for having problems with is 360. I was telling him about my problems, and come to find out his has been crashing and displaying some "error 72" or some such (which mine never did), but at any rate it sounds like his is dying.

So, 5 out of 6 people I personally know have dead or dying 360s. All of us have bought at different times (from 1 month after launch to 2 months ago), and all of us aren't idiots about placement (well ventilated, etc).

I'd join a class action, in a heartbeat. They obviously rushed this thing to market, but once again I do have to give MS props for at least fixing the problems.

I agree on the lament that there is no warning, to some extent, before a failure occurs. The first time mine died, I had rampant DDE's during Dead Rising before it died, but this time it just flat out failed immediately after 2 weeks of perfect operation.

le sigh

Piper Az

Have MS come out and said what is behind all these defects? What's the latest word from the company? This is ridiculous.

Sjoerd

Hmm just got another x360. Send my unit to MS a week ago and got a replacement today. Shame it's an october unit with clear signs of usage. :(

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sjoerd said:
Hmm just got another x360. Send my unit to MS a week ago and got a replacement today. Shame it's an october unit with clear signs of usage. :(

It's the new hotness. Like jeans with holes already in them.

Three red lights, errorcode 0110, memory error/overheating.
First it was "Hope it doesn't fail on me! :("
Now it's "Hope they don't send me a used piece of crap back! :("

Microsoft truly inspires confidence.

Luisito

Luisito said:
I have question about the extended warranty, guys. Last decemeber I filled out the form and mail it. Few day later the money was deducted from my bank account so they receive the form with no problem. Ok, my question is do they mail you some letter or something saying that they receive the form or guidelines about the warranty? Maybe they don't send anything so i was just curious. So if my Xbox 360 stops working, I just called and give them my xbox 360 serial number or credit card number to get the warranty?

Just gonna quote my old post here... :D

I just got my Xbox Service Contract in the mail today. 2 Year warranty effective March 11, 2006 until 2008.With the service contract #. It took them 10 months but seem they're mailing out the service contract to customer that purchase the extended warranty plan.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Luisito said:
Just gonna quote my old post here... :D

I just got my Xbox Service Contract in the mail today. 2 Year warranty effective March 11, 2006 until 2008.With the service contract #. It took them 10 months but seem they're mailing out the service contract to customer that purchase the extended warranty plan.

I still haven't gotten info on my warranty, purchased at least 6 months ago, so I guess around 10 months I'll start questioning it :D

At least it reflects correctly with MS, they've always read off my warranty info on the phone unprompted by me, always stating the July '08 end to it. Maybe I'll have a working console by then.

Gek54

Is there a concensus on when the problem was fixed or have there been faulty 360s born after May 2006?

My replacement arrived today. Nice condition, manufacture date of 4/19/06. Seems a trifle quieter. Hope it lasts. I'll buy the service contract in a couple of weeks.

unomas

Banned
My cardboard coffin arrived on Tuesday, I shipped it out today. Hopefully I have a working/new 360 back by the end of next week. This will be my 3rd 360, and hopefully this time they don't send back a refurb. I'm definitely picking up the 2 year extended warranty when I receive the console as well.

Meier

Finally got my coffin (stupid holiday delayed it) and sent it out tonight. I was told I'd be getting a completely new unit due to the number of defective units I've got, so if it isnt manufactured after say June or so, I'm calling up and doing some serious bitching.

Kameo came along with the coffin which made me happy. At least they've followed through on that promise.

bengraven

Meier said:
One of the supervisor's I've dealt with was clearly Indian although I dont necessarily think he was in India, just of that descent. The other two I've talked to have clearly been Americans with "Randy" last night being particularly cool. So good luck to folks on getting Randy. :)

I found this post of your's just a minute ago and had to laugh, because I had Randy that very same night and unfortunately, he WAS very cool. I then had to call back and got Josh, but was too tired to be angry at that person.

Maybe if I e-mail, I can get better results?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
mine is starting to go it seems

i can't pin down what the problem is yet

it started happening with nhl 07 demo so either the cpu is going, the hard drive is going or the xbox audio decoder is messed thanks to EA trax

i don't get red rings/error code... it just freezes and i get a tone and then afterwards it might freeze a few times on the bootup splash (also had it freeze in halo 2)

so i'm letting it sit tonight, and i'll do further testing tomorrow. If i still get the freezes, it's going back or i'm buying a new one... one of those 2

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mine's still going strong, thankfully, but my little sister's SECOND 360 looks like it is about to die. :\ I only know ONE other person who hasn't had any 360 issues (besides me). This is absolutely insane...

DopeyFish

dark10x said:
Mine's still going strong, thankfully, but my little sister's SECOND 360 looks like it is about to die. :\ I only know ONE other person who hasn't had any 360 issues (besides me). This is absolutely insane...

my launch unit was working PERFECT. better than any other 360 i've seen running... until NHL 07 demo :p

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Yay, now my 360 has developed a freezing problem! I can't even get the damn thing to run more than five minutes without hearing a clicking sound and watching it freeze up. At least I was able to finish Dead Rising before it shit the bed.

:(

Mojovonio

Banned
Dr. Strangelove said:
Yay, now my 360 has developed a freezing problem! I can't even get the damn thing to run more than five minutes without hearing a clicking sound and watching it freeze up. At least I was able to finish Dead Rising before it shit the bed.

:(

Yep. DR has been known to do that.

Joeroll

My second 360 just died today. Is there some kind of warranty they give you when you receive one back? I've had this one for a month exactly. I was gonna get the warranty, just not yet. I had no idea the brand new one would die within a month. Damn you microsoft. :|

I felt bad for bumping up this very depressing thread. :(

Sjoerd said:

I got one like that, called em up, told em I wouldnt ****ing accept that. How would you like it if you send your brand new car in for repairs, and the garage returns you the used car from some dipshit who smoked in his.

I dont understand how anyone here would stand for that.

DopeyFish

wtf is up with xbox support?

i can't even get my console repaired for free - no matter how hard i try

i'm just going to keep calling and re-explaining my case until one of those bastards repairs my console FOR FREE for a pre-manufactured hardware defect.

it's not my ****ing fault there is an internal malfunction - i'd gladly pay if my DVD drive went. But when the gpu/ram link is dead due to probably faulty sauder, it's not my damned fault. Get this! I called yesterday and they asked me to press my wireless / eject button for an error code - then i call today and they're like 'those are retail error codes, we have no use for them'. It's like dude! no shit! IT'S A ****ING RETAIL UNIT AND IT'S GIVING ME THAT ERROR CODE - and why would you ask me for it in the first place? God damn dumbasses.

i'm calling 1-800-microsoft tomorrow to bitch at them! you guys will replace other peoples mice 15 times in a row for free, but won't replace DopeyFish's Xbox 360 for free! Am I really that bad of a customer? Does buying 150 games for Microsoft consoles somehow place me in the stereotypical group of people who buy madden every year? I don't even own a copy of madden! Do they honestly think someone who buys 30 times over their attach finds excitement watching 3 blinking red lights?

GRRR

DopeyFish said:

i'm just going to keep calling and re-explaining my case until one of those bastards repairs my console FOR FREE for a pre-manufactured hardware defect.

it's not my ****ing fault there is an internal malfunction - i'd gladly pay if my DVD drive went. But when the gpu/ram link is dead due to probably faulty sauder, it's not my damned fault. Get this! I called yesterday and they asked me to press my wireless / eject button for an error code - then i call today and they're like 'those are retail error codes, we have no use for them'. It's like dude! no shit! IT'S A ****ING RETAIL UNIT AND IT'S GIVING ME THAT ERROR CODE - and why would you ask me for it in the first place? God damn dumbasses.

i'm calling 1-800-microsoft tomorrow to bitch at them! you guys will replace other peoples mice 15 times in a row for free, but won't replace DopeyFish's Xbox 360 for free! Am I really that bad of a customer? Does buying 150 games for Microsoft consoles somehow place me in the stereotypical group of people who buy madden every year? I don't even own a copy of madden! Do they honestly think someone who buys 30 times over their attach finds excitement watching 3 blinking red lights?

GRRR

Did you ask to speak to a supervisor? You'll never get it for free if you speak with just regular agents. Also it's a good idea to mention the competition, or that you'll never buy any games ever again, or stuff like that.

DopeyFish

AtomicShroom said:
Did you ask to speak to a supervisor? You'll never get it for free if you speak with just regular agents. Also it's a good idea to mention the competition, or that you'll never buy any games ever again, or stuff like that.

yep and the dude was like "this is the policy microsoft has set in stone and there is no room to bend the rules"

DopeyFish said:
yep and the dude was like "this is the policy microsoft has set in stone and there is no room to bend the rules"

When I worked at a phone company if a customer threatened to report us to the Public Service Commission we would transfer it to the supervisor and they would do ANYTHING to keep the customer happy. A PSC complaint is a serious thing. But they only regulate telecommunications companies. I don't think there is an equivalent commission for a company like MS. BBB threats don't mean jack to giant corporations. Otherwise threatening to go to a PSC-like agency might get us all shiny new 360's... :D

fse

DopeyFish said:

GRRR

file a BBB complaint, worth a try.

ciroslive said:
When I worked at a phone company if a customer threatened to report us to the Public Service Commission we would transfer it to the supervisor and they would do ANYTHING to keep the customer happy. A PSC complaint is a serious thing. But they only regulate telecommunications companies. I don't think there is an equivalent commission for a company like MS. BBB threats don't mean jack to giant corporations. Otherwise threatening to go to a PSC-like agency might get us all shiny new 360's... :D

is there one?

suaveric

How has no one talked to a lawyer about this? How bad does it have to get before a class action can be brought against them?

Top Bottom