• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
mj1108 said:
Good grief...these stories is making Sony look like a saint.

the only other console i ever had issues with wasmy ps1... and at least i could play that despite fmv skipping.

god i'm pissed. isolated incidents my ass. i know 4 people including myself with a 360. only 1 hasnt had any issues like this.

Mojovonio said:
Why would it be on the box? All they have to do is look at the serial in your file and see if it matches the one on your 360....

Well someone said they did it with an Xbox 1 in this thread. I already have my box enroute so I have nothing to lose. Also if this works can I call in and say I didnt get my HDD back?

Mojovonio

Banned
X360FanBoyLOL said:
Well someone said they did it with an Xbox 1 in this thread. I already have my box enroute so I have nothing to lose. Also if this works can I call in and say I didnt get my HDD back?

What? You obviously don't understand how this works.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
the repair center in canada is in Vaughn, Ontario (just outside Toronto)

also note for systems not under warranty: As of september 14th - The price of 360 repairs is rising $10 and all shipping will be handled by the consumer

when you are under warranty - your cost is $0 on repair and on shipping

now i feel like a dumbass not getting a warranty

AirBrian

I know it's been requested before in this thread, but can those of you with issues please post the born on date of your 360 when talking about your problems?

op_ivy

AirBrian said:
I know it's been requested before in this thread, but can those of you with issues please post the born on date of your 360 when talking about your problems?

mine was oct of 05.

by the way, i'm giving the hot air gun method a shot (error 0102). currently got the cover off completely, next up removing the drive and cooler, then applying the heat.

wish me luck

AirBrian said:

The one that died (my initial unit) was november '05.

JB1981

AirBrian said:

I already returned mine, but I got my system on day one.

AirBrian

Thanks, you guys. It really helps out us potential buyers.

The thing that pisses me off about this whole thing is the fact that you are practically forced to buy an extended warranty, which means the price of a 360 is not really $400, but $450+. I just hope MS drops the price soon or at least the GRAW bundle rumors are true.

Joeroll

AirBrian said:

My first one was made in October 05. Second one was made in March 06. Waitin on the third.... ;(.

AirBrian said:

I bought mine on Labor day and it died this past Sunday. Didn't even make it a week. :(

I bought a new 360 to replace my old one, if I were to put the borken one back in the box that my new one came in, would Wal-Mart notice they were different 360s? When I bought mine the guy didn't scan the serial # just the box.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
AirBrian said:
Thanks, you guys. It really helps out us potential buyers.

The thing that pisses me off about this whole thing is the fact that you are practically forced to buy an extended warranty, which means the price of a 360 is not really $400, but $450+. I just hope MS drops the price soon or at least the GRAW bundle rumors are true.

Good point - if anything is grounds for a class action suit, it's that. A one year warranty is almost standard for lots of other big ticket items, including videogame hardware. Between the huge number of hardware failures, 90-day warranty, and cost of extending the warranty... no, I can't imagine that would look very good in a courtroom.

unomas

Banned
I haven't received my 3rd 360 back from Microsoft yet, but I've been able to get all of my repairs done free while being out of warranty both times! The last time was a hassle and I had to ask for a supervisor but I did get the free repair. Now I'm just waiting for my refurb 360 to arrive. When MS starts getting so stingy about the repairs you know massive numbers of units must be coming in every day. Judging by this thread alone 360's are going down like virgins at prom.

I smell class action folks.......MS needs to figure out a way to fix this problem ASAP. If they can't fix it people will speak with $$$ for the competition. If my 3rd one goes down and they don't fix it for free I'm done. This time I know better though, supposedly if you get a true refurb back you have a 90 day warranty, but if they repair your original console you only get a 30 day warranty. I guess I'll find out shortly.

op_ivy

op_ivy said:
mine was oct of 05.

by the way, i'm giving the hot air gun method a shot (error 0102). currently got the cover off completely, next up removing the drive and cooler, then applying the heat.

wish me luck

complete success!

i dont have the 360 back all the way together into its case, but i just had the machine successfully boot to the dash with no errors!

all in all, it was a relatively easy process as well. the only part that was a bit scary was removing the heat sink over the cpu, as MS has it clamped to the motherboard and i was a bit afraid i'd damage it in bending back the clamps.

so yeah, if you got error code 0102 and are out of warrenty, i'd recommend giving this a go

Mojovonio

Banned
op_ivy said:
complete success!

i dont have the 360 back all the way together into its case, but i just had the machine successfully boot to the dash with no errors!

all in all, it was a relatively easy process as well. the only part that was a bit scary was removing the heat sink over the cpu, as MS has it clamped to the motherboard and i was a bit afraid i'd damage it in bending back the clamps.

so yeah, if you got error code 0102 and are out of warrenty, i'd recommend giving this a go

you know that only works temporarily, right?

JB1981

36WiiS3 said:
buy it at costco ,problem solved at least a 3 year warranty for free:) :)

You're so right. I'm doing this with the PS3. Wish I would've for the 360. I'm on my 2nd unit now, and I'm still undecided about whether to get a new warranty thru Gamestop or thru MS. If I get one through Gamestop, then I'm guaranteed a new if this one dies. If I get with MS, it's a crapshoot. Only thing is, the Gamestop warranty only works for the one console. If you get a new one, you have to pay for a whole new warranty again. I can't trust this second unit to work for more than a year. If it does, I'll be very surprised. So what do you guys think I should do, get a MS warranty or a Gamestop one? $120 in warranty fees doesn't seem very attractive .... especially with the PS3 coming down the pike ....

op_ivy

Mojovonio said:
you know that only works temporarily, right?

really? how long is it supposed to be a fix for it?

well i may have spoken too soon anyway :(

it boots to the menu fine, but it crashes about 30 seconds into any game i play once past the menus... i got the funky video glitches and a lock up. its still booting fine however.

reading up on the hot air gun trick, its supposed to fix these errors as well, so it may be that i just didnt heat it up enough or for a long enough period of time.

back to the drawing board, but at least i know what i'm doing now and should have it apart in 10 min tops.

Mojovonio

Banned
op_ivy said:
really? how long is it supposed to be a fix for it?

well i may have spoken too soon anyway :(

it boots to the menu fine, but it crashes about 30 seconds into any game i play once past the menus... i got the funky video glitches and a lock up. its still booting fine however.

reading up on the hot air gun trick, its supposed to fix these errors as well, so it may be that i just didnt heat it up enough or for a long enough period of time.

back to the drawing board, but at least i know what i'm doing now and should have it apart in 10 min tops.

Sorry to hear that man. I was looking into this method as well, till the OP posted that his 360 died anyways. MS won't fix an open 360 either. You're stuck with it.

op_ivy

Mojovonio said:
Sorry to hear that man. I was looking into this method as well, till the OP posted that his 360 died anyways. MS won't fix an open 360 either. You're stuck with it.

well, i'll keep at it.

i wasnt going to pay MS to repair my launch system anyways... i'd rather buy a new tard system personally. hopefully i can hold out for a price drop or pack in.

Mojovonio

Banned
op_ivy said:
well, i'll keep at it.

i wasnt going to pay MS to repair my launch system anyways... i'd rather buy a new tard system personally. hopefully i can hold out for a price drop or pack in.

Yeah

I wish I would have sold mine on ebay for 130 bucks and used the money to get a tard pack. Now I will forever be in a nevernding loop of shitty refurbed systems that will last me a week before death.

op_ivy

36WiiS3 said:
buy it at costco ,problem solved at least a 3 year warranty for free:) :)

whats the deal with this? does costco in store warranty their electronics for 3 years?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
X360FanBoyLOL said:
For those who have their 360 fixed out of warranty how do you guys go about it?

keep complaining

sometimes you can get it done for free, sometimes they'll let you off.

don't be a raving lunatic though... it won't help in getting discounts

op_ivy

Synbios459 said:
I bought a new 360 to replace my old one, if I were to put the borken one back in the box that my new one came in, would Wal-Mart notice they were different 360s? When I bought mine the guy didn't scan the serial # just the box.

if you're really concerned about it, swap the case.... *whistles

put me on the list for "the ****ing red lights of death," all I can say is **** you MS. I somewhat ignored all the problems people kept reporting, thinking "meh they just don't take care of their shit." WRONG!

I've owned a launch system of SNES, N64, PS2, Xbox, and none have ever given me a problem until now with the X360 (except for the xbox drive going dumb after a few years. Seems like it's a MS thing...). I was playing Oblivion and it froze, so I look at the system and see the red lights of death... I call em up and am now forced to pay over 100 and something bucks for THEIR wrong doing.

This is just straight up wrong and MS should have to repair these for free, I honestly think these assholes deserve a lawsuite for their poor customer support.......

**** you MS, **** YOU.

op_ivy

Louminater said:
put me on the list for "the ****ing red lights of death," all I can say is **** you MS. I somewhat ignored all the problems people kept reporting, thinking "meh they just don't take care of their shit." WRONG!

I've owned a launch system of SNES, N64, PS2, Xbox, and none have ever given me a problem until now with the X360 (except for the xbox drive going dumb after a few years. Seems like it's a MS thing...). I was playing Oblivion and it froze, so I look at the system and see the red lights of death... I call em up and am now forced to pay over 100 and something bucks for THEIR wrong doing.

This is just straight up wrong and MS should have to repair these for free, I honestly think these assholes deserve a lawsuite for their poor customer support.......

**** you MS, **** YOU.

yup, i was in the same boat. did you check your error code? google 360 error codes to check what your problem is

RumFore

Banned
Well Dead Rising crashed and froze it and ever since then it has been on life support. Thought it was goner this morn because it kept freezing and going red when I tried to download some games. Now it starts up but appears to have brain damage and freezes if you do anything but watch the screen. It will be dead by this after noon I predict. I am holding a vigil right now.:lol This really sucks as it was well taken care of and not played often. It was made in January and now I am convinced EVERY launch system will die.

Also what are the chances they will send me a yucky cock juice stained, booger fingerd refurb?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mojovonio said:
Oh boy, the PS3 will be one hell of a customer service nightmare.
We're going to have to see about that...

The PSP, for instance, turned out great. The one major issue they had to deal with there was the whole dead pixel thing, but that didn't mean the hardware was actually BAD. With PS2, the machine was failing as a result of dust + a screw coming undone. PSX actually had some bad units with the lens failing along with the PSU...but that was their first system.

360 is a different animal. The systems are just failing at random. I mean, it seems like you can just turn it on one day and the thing is suddenly dead without warning.

Sony could have the same problems (or worse) with the PS3...but they could also have less problems. We'll just have to wait and see.

Meier

STILL waiting on getting my new one from MS.. pretty annoyed by the whole thing at this point. Free game or not, there's no excuse for it to take this long when they've ****ed up so many times. They should be sending my shit out overnight.

I wrote the XBL customer service 2 days ago about getting a free month or two for the time I've paid but been unable to use it, and still have yet to receive a response.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
ted360_amsad1.jpg
ted360_amsad2.jpg

Yes, I had to be special and make my own thread, but my 360's power brick appears to have given out on me. My options are to take the whole thing back to Best Buy (which will suck as I have the cables already binded in my entertainment center, potentially lose my HD data, etc) or call up Microsoft and get a replacement (obviously it'll be a refurb and it's not clear how long it'd take to ship). For those that have already had this problem, how quick was the big M's turn-around? Thanks.

Oh, my tree-sitty's birthdate was 2006/04/27, btw.

tedtropy

Ok, called Microsoft for an estimate on how long it'd take to send a replacement power supply. Their answer: possibly two weeks.

Screw that crap, looks like I'm taking a trip back to Best Buy this weekend. WHEEEE!

tedtropy

DopeyFish said:
it puzzles me why they don't sell replacement bricks in the stores

I guess they don't want to start the implication that they are failure prone.

op_ivy

little update...

i re-heated the motherboard and once again, it seems to be working fine (crosses fingers). i played about 40 min of pgr3 with no issues at all. i must admit, i'm afraid to try dead rising and motogp though :p

Mojovonio said:
Yeah

I wish I would have sold mine on ebay for 130 bucks and used the money to get a tard pack. Now I will forever be in a nevernding loop of shitty refurbed systems that will last me a week before death.

Dont know if you've read it, but Im just gonna go ahead and point it out again. Microsoft sent me one of those shitty refurbished units the first time around and I didnt even bother turning it on. I called em immediatly to say that I wasnt going to except someone's used '05 unit. They would either have to repair my own 360 or send me a new one. So they did. All I said was 'dude, this one has obviously been mishandled in some way, there's scratches on it, and we all know these launch units are going to fail sooner or later, apart from that I paid 400 euro's for a console that I have treated in the best possible way, it was sent to you in mint condition and I except one back in that same state'. He spoke to his supervisor and I was told to send it back (along with the HD this time). So ehm, I must've mentioned this about 2-3 times now, but it did work, so I implore everyone here to do or at least try the same.

Mojovonio

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
Dont know if you've read it, but Im just gonna go ahead and point it out again. Microsoft sent me one of those shitty refurbished units the first time around and I didnt even bother turning it on. I called em immediatly to say that I wasnt going to except someone's used '05 unit. They would either have to repair my own 360 or send me a new one. So they did. All I said was 'dude, this one has obviously been mishandled in some way, there's scratches on it, and we all know these launch units are going to fail sooner or later, apart from that I paid 400 euro's for a console that I have treated in the best possible way, it was sent to you in mint condition and I except one back in that same state'. He spoke to his supervisor and I was told to send it back (along with the HD this time). So ehm, I must've mentioned this about 2-3 times now, but it did work, so I implore everyone here to do or at least try the same.

Yes, but everyone has a different result with dealing with their customer service. I mean, The guy that set up my service told me I had to bring the console to the post office.

"Are you sure?" I inquired.
"Hold on." He asks someone else. "Yes."
"So i just bring it there, bare, and ship it."
"yes"
"you're not supposed to send me a box or anything?"
"no, we don't do that in Canada."

So I was about to go bring it to the post office when Purolator arrived with my coffin.

The guy I talked to was a supervisor btw.

Haha my X360 just gave me teh three red lights of doom. My brother went to turn it on for a little Saint's Row and blammo it was dead.

At least I have an extended warranty...course I've only had the system since 7/30/2006. Thanks a lot MS you ****ing ****ers.

EDIT: Okay nevermind it's working again. What the ****.

Joeroll

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Haha my X360 just gave me teh three red lights of doom. My brother went to turn it on for a little Saint's Row and blammo it was dead.

At least I have an extended warranty...course I've only had the system since 7/30/2006. Thanks a lot MS you ****ing ****ers.

EDIT: Okay nevermind it's working again. What the ****.

After I got my first '3 red lights' I let it rest, then I played Saints for an hour and turned it off. Now everytime after that it crashes within 2 minutes no matter what I do. With or without HDD attached. Sometimes I get red lights, sometimes it locks up.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
My system died in June and my shipping box was at my house after 5 days. That was a bit long, but the system was back to me 4 days later. I was very pleased with the process.

Got a 2 year warranty immediately afterwards.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
I got the best case scenario, me thinks

So my 360 died a thousand deaths, i.e. it wasn't just showing three red lights but instead games would start to crash, demos would stall and save data would become corrupted until it was obvious my 360 was dead.

Took it to the shop with a 7 month old, ripped up receipt and they asked me to show them it crashing. So I'm like "its not immediete, you have to play for like 5 minutes" and they're like, "we gotta see it!"

So this guy, a few sandwhiches (and baskets, cutlery, salads and drinks) short of a picnic hooked it up via composite to a HD TV, Test Drive Unlimited came up and was like "50hz, jerkass!", and then he unplugged, then plugged all 6 leads in, went to composite again and did the exact same thing.

So I'm like, "look, I'll show a demo", and started rocking out Lost Planet. Rifle, few taps of the d-pad, OOF YOU BELTER, head shot, switch to the machine gun and start making explosions to try and crash it a little sooner. Oof, grapple over the car, hawt BAM freeze, lock-up, crash, el-deadskies.

And that was it, he gives me my hard drive, packs the 360 in the box, goes get me a brand new one, swaps the hard drive and sends me on my merry way.

Top Bottom