• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K18 will run at 30FPS on Switch, footage released

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Im gonna question switch owners who think this isn't good enough. Fully featured 2k18 and the only caveats is 30fps and paired down visuals? And you can take it on the go?! I dont think those who will pass really want nice things.

Some would legitimate prefer 60fps with downgraded graphics. But I do believe there's also a lot of concern trolling going on.

The thrist IS real. Because this was the last portable NBA game that we got. And it was shitty-ass NBA Live.

ofMKrNh.jpg

I'm guessing that's NBA Live '10? Because we got like, 3 more NBA 2K games on PSP after that (11/12/13).

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Lower the framerate people cry.

Lower the resolution people cry.

Lower the graphics quality people cry.

Something has to give when you're making a game for a 6" tablet. I'm just glad Switch is getting some third party games.

The_Lump

Banned
30FPS (as long as it's stable) is fine trade off for playing this game in my breakroom at work, in my garden, in bed, on the shitter.

I'm quite impressed there aren't more concessions, tbh.

Branduil

Lower the framerate people cry.

Lower the resolution people cry.

Lower the graphics quality people cry.

Something has to give when you're making a game for a 6" tablet. I'm just glad Switch is getting some third party games.
It would be nice if they could offer the same resolution/framerate toggle as Fire Emblem Warriors so people could choose what they want.

Only 30 FPS is a bit sad, but nonetheless the Switch version seems the best option for this game.

That said, its graphically impressive. So it seems every AAA could make it into a Switch version.

anddo0

I'll take a rock solid 30 fps in this form factor anyday. I think the footage we've seen so far is fine. The fact that the game is feature complete is even more intriguing. The sim aspects for MyLeague are exciting.

It wasn't too long ago that we were playing this game at 30 fps on PS/Xbox. If the game holds a solid 30fps in handheld mode I'll consider it.

BigEmil

Now the damage controlling has come in sooner than expected they should at least add an option to include a 60fps/lower visuals mode

-shadow-

While I personally wasn't going to pick this up, going for identical graphics but half the framerate in a sports game, to me, seems like the wrong choice. Here's hoping it won't turn off to many people for future support.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They should've cut back on the graphics to hit 60fps. A better playing game is more important then graphical parity with PS4.

Still, the Switch impresses me. Looking forward to seeing WWE, which is what I really want.

EDarkness

Im gonna question switch owners who think this isn't good enough. Fully featured 2k18 and the only caveats is 30fps and paired down visuals? And you can take it on the go?! I dont think those who will pass really want nice things.

I only play NS games docked. No way I'm gonna accept 30fps. I'll take lower graphical setting at 60, because the other stuff doesn't mean that much to me.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I ask this as a complete ignoramus when it comes to sports games, but is 30fps a big deal for gameplay? I get the importance of having 60fps for a competitive fighting game or a fast-paced racing game, but on the surface, games like NBA Like or even FIFA don't strike me as framerate-dependent. Are they?

StereoVsn

People are praising FIFA for 60fps when EA pulled career mode from Switch. Having My Career is a big draw for NBA 2K games. I would rather have solid 30fps and MyCareer then lower graphics and absence of career mode.

diaspora

30fps is a bitter pill to swallow for a sports game but not enough to stop me from buying a fully featured complete portable NBA 2K with the same physics and AI as the PC version.

Hermii

I only play NS games docked. No way I'm gonna accept 30fps. I'll take lower graphical setting at 60, because the other stuff doesn't mean that much to me.

If you are only playing docked, then why would you buy any third party game for Switch at all? Its the weakest platform by far, and unless you really love the Controllers there is no reason to.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
People are praising FIFA for 60fps when EA pulled career mode from Switch. Having My Career is a big draw for NBA 2K games. I would rather have solid 30fps and MyCareer then lower graphics and absence of career mode.

EA didn't pull career mode from Switch. The Journey exists practically because of Frostbite. Since FIFA 18 for Switch doesn't use Frostbite, they couldn't port it to the Switch version which is based on a different engine. It's pretty clear and logic why this happen and that's why most of the people are OK with this.

EDarkness

If you are only playing docked, then why would you buy any third party game for Switch at all? Its the weakest platform by far, and unless you really love the Controllers there is no reason to.

Split controllers and motion controls are my favorite things in gaming. This is why I bought a NS. I personally don't care at all about portability. Again, I don't care about the graphics, but NBA 2k has been 60fps since the Dreamcast days, and I figured this would be the case for the NS as well. It's not, so I'll pass and focus on FIFA.

Keinning

EA didn't pull career mode from Switch. The Journey exists practically because of Frostbite. Since FIFA 18 for Switch doesn't use Frostbite, they couldn't port it to the Switch version which is based on a different engine. It's pretty clear and logic why this happen and that's why most of the people are OK with this.

also career mode and journey are two different things

and they're doing a mode exclusive to the switch to make up for it

people are being outraged because they want to

StereoVsn

You are making a pointless argument. EA chose not to port Frostbite and this don't have a career mode but kept 60 FPS. 2K it looks like ported their complete new engine to the Switch and was able to have pretty much full parity with the other consoles with the exception of framerate.

At the end the result is FIFA having lower endgraphics and no story mode but 60fps and NBA 2K has higher end graphical enhancement with My Career and 30FPS.

Edit:
also career mode and journey are two different things
and they're doing a mode exclusive to the switch to make up for it
people are being outraged because they want to
Nobody is outraged except for people in this thread going nuts about 30fps despite NBA 2K not being a heavy twitch game and ignoring the other benefits.

For career mode, yes, Journey is basically MyCareer since that's the story mode with cutscenes and all.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

You can have career mode and 60fps. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

EDarkness

You are making a pointless argument. EA chose not to port Frostbite and this don't have a career mode but kept 60 FPS. 2K it looks like ported their complete new engine to the Switch and was able to have pretty much full parity with the other consoles with the exception of framerate.

At the end the result is FIFA having lower endgraphics and no story mode but 60fps and NBA 2K has higher end graphical enhancement with My Career and 30FPS.

What are you talking about? As far as we know, career mode is in FIFA. It's missing the story mode, but I'm fine with that as the game looks great and is 60fps.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Edit:
Nobody is outraged except for people in this thread going nuts about 30fps despite NBA 2K not being a heavy twitch game and ignoring the other benefits.

For career mode, yes, Journey is basically MyCareer since that's the story mode with cutscenes and all.

Because 30 fps vs. 60 fps is something that impacts you in every game you play, no matter the mode. And the Journey is just the story mode, you can still play the full career mode on Switch. In FIFA 17 the Journey had practically one season, so after that you don't go back to it and play the other modes anyhow. It's a nice distraction, but not the main mode for anybody playing FIFA in the long run.

That's a rather small sacrifice to run it in portable form.

To me 30 fps vs 60 fps is much more than a small sacrifice.

The difference between 30 and 60 fps is actually larger than most differences in resolution or graphics settings. So this is certainly a big concession.

Not that it really matters to me in the long run as I don't really have any interest in sports games on my ps4 and don't intend to buy them on my Switch either.

If you only play switch games docked and have other systems, why would you even bother with the switch version of NBA 2K?

PrimeBeef

I don't think 30 FPS mean as much a many on GAF make it out to be. However, the problem is that it goes up against a 60 FPS version on the PS4/XB1. Most people that have a choice will pick the PS4/XB1 versions over the Switch which is going to put a hurting on Switch sales. Of the people who only own the Switch, I doubt that NBA 2K18 is the type of game that is near the top of their wish list.
Don't forget NeoGAF loves OoT a game that runs at 20 FPS and HZD that ran at 30 FPS. This place is so schizophrenic.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't forget NeoGAF loves OoT a game that runs at 20 FPS and HZD that ran at 30 FPS. This place is so schizophrenic.

Or you just don't understand nuance (which given the gross generalisation it's very likely). Like the difference in the gameplay between OoT and a sport game and the impact the framerate has on both.

conpfreak

Or you just don't understand nuance (which given the gross generalisation it's very likely). Like the difference in the gameplay between OoT and a sport game and the impact the framerate has on both.

30fps isn't bad if it's locked. It's just adjustment to get used to the movement. Perhaps devs should offer a 30fps mode on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One S to allow for higher resolutions, textures, etc.

Top Bottom