• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

stupei

A great thing about the return of the search feature is now anytime someone rolls their eyes at how pedestrian the list is, you can easily go check what they voted for. Occasionally amusing results!

But really, now that it's been pointed out I can't help but wonder where Tactics Ogre falls on the overall list. Looking forward to seeing that posted. Hopefully it's at least in the top 50.

Well I did vote for it, but it was pretty low for me and that should have been a sign.

But I don't get why this means it deserves to be GOTY.

Because there is no such thing as best game of the year. That is all up to individuals and what they like.

But when you think of 2008, it is all MGS4, love it or hate it. To create something like that which can polarise opinion is to me worthy of a title. This is a true GOTY, not just something that got a lot of votes.

Most years will not even have a true GOTY, like I believe, 2011.

Coen

This list is a great representation of gaming in 2011. It shows neogaf truly is a melting pot of gamers on all systems and of all genres. Well, except mobile, we all seem to think of smartphone gaming as a separate entity.

Trevelyon

Pretty solid, no real qualms. Though, Uncharted 3 is too high for my tastes. Dead Space 2 making the ten, warms my ice cold heart.

Duffyside

Banned
This list is a great representation of gaming in 2011. It shows neogaf truly is a melting pot of gamers on all systems and of all genres. Well, except mobile, we all seem to think of smartphone gaming as a separate entity.

No no no, not true at all. I think of smartphone gaming as complete dogshit.

Oxx

A fine list. Thanks to all organisers and participants.

Pleased to see Portal 2 at the top and shocked that Xenoblade almost cracked the top ten.

Nice. the top 2 is the same as my personal 2. Both Portal 2 and Skyrim are awesome games.

Deus Ex is that good? Have played it for 4-5 hours, and it hasn´t really clicked for me yet, even though I don´t think it´s a bad game.

Great work with the list. If I have to nitpick on something, then it´s about whether or not Orcs Must Die really is a strategy game.

And my personal opinion is that games like Ghost Trick and Portal 2 are in the same genre.

Gintoki

Good job guys on making the list. I've only played some coop levels from Portal 2 with my brother, need to get on to play the single player.

Good results overall. Glad to see Skyrim not #1 and Dark Souls in the top 5. Very sad though that Yakuza 4 was barely mentioned and Solatorobo nowhere to be found.

Jtrizzy

Kind of embarrassed that I haven't played Portal 2. I think I even owned on PS3 briefly, got stuck on a puzzle and never went back. I can't remember if I ever registered the free PC versions somehow...I didn't have the gaming PC I have now when this came out.

Riposte

Portal 2, Super Mario 3D Land, and Gears of War 3 were in my runners up. Catherine(#3), The Witcher 2(#9), and Ghost Trick(#10) were in my list. I wonder if I rated Catherine higher than Anno 2070 (which I could have easily) it would have beaten InFamous 2 lol. Where do I get to cash in my hipster cred from having my GotY be entirely unlisted?

(P.S. Obligatory lol @ the crappy genre definitions. Because Gears of War is a superior STG to both those Cave games.)

Thanks, buddy.

Meh, I did all right. I give myself some credit for calling Mass Effect delay and Ass Creed fatigue.

I forgot AC even existed this year. Until you mentioned it right now I didn't even remember it could be on the list.

wouldn't have voted for it, haven't played it, don't plan to despite beating every one

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I forgot AC even existed this year. Until you mentioned it right now I didn't even remember it could be on the list.

I played both games and the first expansion pack, but I didn't even consider trying 2.2. Definitely feeling some fatigue, glad I'm not the only one.

I played the first two games and the expansion pack, but I didn't even consider trying 2.2. Definitely feeling some fatigue, glad I'm not the only one.

I just added that in my edit, but I feel the exact same. I beat all the prior releases but have zero desire to even try this one. There's only so much AC to take.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I played both games and the first expansion pack, but I didn't even consider trying 2.2. Definitely feeling some fatigue, glad I'm not the only one.

Yeah, I forgot Revelations was even a thing. Felt worn-out after AssBro, won't be going back unless they shake things up considerably.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if MGS4 would have even gotten 5th this year, but the year it came it the competition wasn't exactly strong.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Playstation 3)
2. LittleBigPlanet (Playstation 3)
3. Fallout 3 (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
4. Left 4 Dead (PC, Xbox 360)
5. Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360)
6. Grand Theft Auto IV (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
7. Dead Space (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
8. Fable II (Xbox 360)
9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
10. Braid (Xbox 360)

The worst thing people usually complain about in MGS4 is the story being silly, but all the other games on that list were either pretty generic shooters, by the number sequels, or had some giant problems to go with the good gameplay like the GTA4 friend junk, LBP's floatty platforming controls, or the completely terribly buggy fallout 3. MGS was the only reasonable choice of those top 10 outside of braid, but I don't think people like thinking of cheap downloadable titles as GotY worthy even today.

Anyhow I think that 2008 list should really allow us to step back and look at how great 2011 truly was. It will probably be a few years until we reach this level greatness again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I love the Assassin's Creed franchise and put around 70 hours into the campaign of AC: Revelations, but ultimately I decided against listing it even just to pad my ballot as it's not a game I consider worthy of a GoTY vote. Still, I'm very much looking forward to AC3.

Riposte

LOL Catherine isn't even a puzzle game. Incredible. No, clearly it is in the same genre as Minecraft and The Legend of Zelda.

3, 4, 5 were my 1, 2, 3. So cool. If I hadn't played Portal 2 and Skyrim and know I like those three more, I'd be all "Portal 2 and Skyrim and even better than Deus Ex?! can't wait to try them!" but unfortunately I know they're not better, to me, at least.

and the horror list is very revealing. there needs to be more real horror games released.

Vanquish as 2011's 2010 GOTY is pretty great

AniHawk

I don't know if MGS4 would have even gotten 5th this year, but the year it came it the competition wasn't exactly strong.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Playstation 3)
2. LittleBigPlanet (Playstation 3)
3. Fallout 3 (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
4. Left 4 Dead (PC, Xbox 360)
5. Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360)
6. Grand Theft Auto IV (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
7. Dead Space (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
8. Fable II (Xbox 360)
9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
10. Braid (Xbox 360)

The worst thing people usually complain about in MGS4 is the story being silly, but all the other games on that list were either pretty generic shooters, by the number sequels, or had some giant problems to go with the good gameplay like the GTA4 friend junk, LBP's floatty platforming controls, or the completely terribly buggy fallout 3. MGS was the only reasonable choice of those top 10 outside of braid, but I don't think people like thinking of cheap downloadable titles as GotY worthy even today.

Anyhow I think that 2008 list should really allow us to step back and look at how great 2011 truly was. It will probably be a few years until we reach this level greatness again.

that's just the top 10. 2008 also had valkyria chronicles, burnout paradise, and mirror's edge (which has a much bigger fanbase now than it did back then).

Top Bottom