• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you LOVED at first, but they eventually petered out

Shut0wen

Elden ring, hated the spammy bosses, exploration was kinda shit, kinda ruined the game for myself by picking samurai class and just making every fucker bleed to death without really realising it was op, think the game would of been better linear like ds trilogy tbf

Schmendrick

Last of Us 2.
The visual presentation was just incredible and even the story was engaging at first, despite the golf issue... But then every single decision of the characters became more and more stupid, whole story arcs, the kid, just felt forced and pointless.
And the combat doesn't really evolve over the course of the game either.

In short, the game was way too long for its own good and the writing was just absolute garbage.

Edit:
Gotta mention FFVI which literally had its stroy and pacing commit suicide after the very strong and engaging intro hours.

Last edited:
Returnal
it felt like an evolution of Metroid Prime but than the kinda aimless repetition kicked in.

Shadow of Colossus
I think the premise is great but while the first boss delivers the premise, I only liked one boss mechanic later on and the controls (the improved ones, in the remake, the original ones feel almost unplayable) and annoying jankiness ruins it.

Demons Souls
I still love half of the game, but hate it also so much that I have yet to properly pick up any other Souls or Boodborne or Lords etc game

Bioshock
The tone and twist just feels pretentious, with a world that tries hard to be serious, and slides deep into accidentally comical.

RDR2
The world, much like in the GTAs, is great, but everything is just so slow. Too slow for a gamey game, but also too slow for a story driven game, maybe alright for people who like fishing games, nascar or whatever...

Since I am stubborn I finished all but the first one, I really need to dislike/hate almost everything about a game to drop it.

edit:
Last of Us PS4 remaster
I palyed it for some time, but much like Uncharted starting with 3, something feels off and it just can't keep properly my attention. The first hour or so is great, I liked the TV show very much (despite some huge holes) but I doubt I'll ever finsih it. The story drags on slowly and the gameplay does ot feel fun.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

It’s so bad, honestly one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever.

As a character action game it sucks because the enemies don’t even fight back, they just stand there like training dummies while you rotate through your moves off cooldown and chip away at their health.

And it sucks as a JRPG. No choice of party members, only 1 weapon type, every weapon/armor is just a slight stat increase vs the previous one. It has a completely pointless crafting system where there’s barely anything to make. Tons of generic MMO quests that reward you with useless crafting materials you already have 1000s of already. Big open zones that have jack shit to do, dotted with pointless treasures to give you some incentive to explore them (usually useless crafting materials or like 3 Gil).

And for every riveting GoT style cutscene, there are 10 more where it’s just characters standing there like bored mannequins yapping endlessly about something you don’t care about.

The only parts that were truly great were the Eikon battles. I honestly think it started out as some DMC style spinoff and then they decided to rework it into FF XVI, and added in all these half baked RPG mechanics to justify calling it that.
Welp... Thanks for potentially saving me $60. That sounds dreadful 💀

Gojiira

Dragons Dogma 2 for me, after waiting a decade or whatever to finally get a sequel, on the back of some incredible looking trailers I was extremely disappointed to find that all the same exact issues from the first game are still present, but worse is the fact they learnt nothing from the near perfect Bitterblack Isle expansion…To top it off, theres zero dungeons…ZERO…No puzzles,no real use of the new mechanics, its just shallow with a really boring story.
Its only saving grace is the great combat and exploration. Ugh actually breaks my heart it turned out so meh…

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I dunno, does “working an office job” count?

Seriously, though, when I think of videogames that lost my interest, the first one to come to mind is New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. I’ve always kept trying to give it another chance, and it does have its charms, but it feels more like a “greatest hits” album than anything. But maybe it will finally click with me one day.

The great thing about classic arcade games is that they never last long enough for you to become jaded. They’re perfect three-minute pop songs, not epic symphonies.

Zelda BotW and TotK. At ten hours or so it felt like it was the best game ever. Then, the awful design (breakable weapons, you get no rewards for exploring when everything is disposable and too easy, repetition, etc) kicks in and you realize it’s a game designed for little kids or obsessive compulsive players.

AlphaMale

AC Valhalla

(I've finished all previous AC games, as I love the series)
But man... they nerfed your bird's abilities, nerfed skill tree abilities, caves, finding items/treasures, etc. It's all way worse than Odyssey and Origins. I've just pacified England, but I still have cult members left to kill, but now there's no clear path, direction, or missions to know where to go from here.
I'm a bit of completionist, so I have to finish it, but it's a bit of a struggle at the moment...

Rival

Gold Member
Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I loved saliling from island to island, taking out targets, crawling through tombs, and making progress into the story. But once you start trying to fill out your assassination checklist and discovering all the locations on an island, it starts to feel really daunting. I burned out afer 40 hours.
Agreed 100%. It just became too much.

Top Bottom