• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF gets a Prophet: Rumors about the E3 Nintendo Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
L6KKu.jpg

I only played Star Tropics a little bit, but the cover always gets me. Something about the tropical island with the stars above it (implying "Outer Space" rather than just the night sky) just does it for me. I think it's a great image. If Nintendo ever set out to make a new Star Tropics, they should only base it on making a game that lives up to the promise, whatever it is, of that cover art.

L6KKu.jpg

I only played Star Tropics a little bit, but the cover always gets me. Something about the tropical island with the stars above it (implying "Outer Space" rather than just the night sky) just does it for me. I think it's a great image. If Nintendo ever set out to make a new Star Tropics, they should only base it on making a game that lives up to the promise, whatever it is, of that cover art.
I agree. I have no idea what the game is about but the name + box art are top notch.

L6KKu.jpg

Eh, a boy armed with a yo-yo who goes on an adventure to find his uncle on a tropical island is a good premise to start from.

my inside info says that retro is working on a new metroid, a game everyone wants them to work on.
i got my info directly from miyamoto telepathically through a dream last night.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I will riot if Baby Mario is in the roster. I will literally take a bus to Redmond and form a picket line with other Smash fans in front of NoA's HQ.

Well, I think i found the list that he made.

Sure, no problem...

From newest characters to obvious here's at least some of the roster...

Mega Man
Mike Jones
Little Mac
Doc Louis
Mario
Kirby
Sonic
Donkey Kong
Link
Pikachu and several other Pokemon
Samus
Kirby
Falcon
Zelda
Ganondorf
Peach
Luigi
Yoshi
Baby versions of Mario and Co.
Paper Mario
Ness
Lucas
8 and 16 bit versions of a lot of the listed characters.

I'm nit sure why I didn't see snake anywhere, I'd have thought he'd be in.

Think that should be enough for now :) enjoy this E3, it's the one a lotta people have waited years for!

Hermii

I had never heard of star tropics until now. Watched a youtube video, it seems like a decent Zelda clone, but why star tropics ?

I think this is more believable than the guy on IGN forums, but still probably bullshit.

Edit: one thing that would be cool with star tropics is that its a pretty unknown IP so Retro could probably do almost whatever they want with it without disapointing fans. Like Kid Icarus uprising it might as well could be a new IP.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I had never heard of star tropics until now. Watched a youtube video, it seems like a decent Zelda clone, but why star tropics ?

I think this is more believable than the guy on IGN forums, but still probably bullshit.

Think about it. Many people want to see Retro working on Zelda series, so they probably give the studio a test to see how they would do on Star Tropics which could be similar to Zelda.

I know he is more likely to be bullshit. I would like to throw it out.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Eh, a boy armed with a yo-yo who goes on an adventure to find his uncle on a tropical island is a good premise to start from.

If they want to hit the mainstream, they need to just start with "A boy goes on an adventure after being stranded on the world depicted in dat cover art"

Star Tropics was a fairly popular game on the NES, definitely a game that was well known at the time.

If they want to hit the mainstream, they need to just start with "A boy goes on an adventure after being stranded on the world depicted in dat cover art"

I don't know... the Lost in Blue series didn't do that well, did it?

L6KKu.jpg

A bit off topic, but there are fascinating similarities between StarTropics and EarthBound.
As most people know, MOTHER was almost released in America under the name Earth Bound. When the name was eventually used for the sequel, it was spelled with the capital B "Bound" adjoined to "Earth": EarthBound. StarTropics is written the same way, also stars a boy who uses a yo-yo as a weapon, and was tailor made for America for the exact same reasons that EarthBound was cancelled; StarTropics, an action-heavy RPG of sorts, was made as sort of an introductory course to RPGs for a market that did not respond as warmly as Japan to the likes of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. EarthBound was cancelled because it was expected that that same disinterest would result in lukewarm sales.

And, connecting it to the "outer space" that's implied by the cover of ST and half of the game's title, around the same that Nintendo filed for a trademark on the name "Earth Bound", they also filed for "Star Bound".

Well, I think i found the list that he made.

Baby Mario characters aside, that is a sexy, sexy list, and I want so badly to believe in it. :(

As interesting as these rumors are, I can't really bring myself to believe any of it. Sure, some of it is pretty safe guesses that are likely to come true just by sure luck, but that doesn't prove anything about the other predictions coming true. Besides, this is coming from a person who just a little bit earlier has said that Sony was not making a PS4 (to his credit, he did own up to being completely wrong, but this still impacts his reliability in my eyes) so I'm taking this with a mountain rather than a grain of salt...

Azure J

Agreed. If they hit a good sensibility between humor and the boy v. elements angles, they could do a cool job with the property. Would also be nice to get a "new" character personality that could contrast the big wigs in Nintendo's main crew.

ASIS

It's not going to be star tropics.

Retro is workin on the Metroid x star fox called Super Fox: Tropical Stars. That's probably where the confusion came from.

If you cannot tell, This is my prophecy, BELIEVE.

Hermii

The more I think about it, the more awesome star tropics would be. It would pretty much give Retro a free reign to do anything they want.

Why? Is there a rumor policy in this forum?

He's not labeling what he says as rumors though. He's acting like a Nintendo insider, which is a serious no-no if your I.P. address shows the mods that you are likely not.

Mods said that he will be banned if he is wrong. They don't tolerate fake "insiders."

Well that's just uncharacteristic of them. Usually the tolerance comes after they first confirm that person is an insider.

EDIT: Never mind. I just caught up with the other thread and he is, in all likelihood, not an insider.

Neverfade

If Star Tropics gets announced I'll buy and give a copy to a random gaffer. Waiting on mod approval for a giveaway thread (dont know if those are allowed?).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Well he's a member since 2007. I find it hard to believe that he wants to account suicide so there is a fair chance that is true. Plus his detailed statements helps this being legit but we'll see.

.la1n

As happy as seeing some SMB2 USA character representation ill keep my expectations appropriately set at minimum.

Star Tropics would make me happy but not sure it would be a system seller like Nintendo needs from retro.

Calamari41

41 > 38
A bit off topic, but there are fascinating similarities between StarTropics and EarthBound.
As most people know, MOTHER was almost released in America under the name Earth Bound. When the name was eventually used for the sequel, it was spelled with the capital B "Bound" adjoined to "Earth": EarthBound. StarTropics is written the same way, also stars a boy who uses a yo-yo as a weapon, and was tailor made for America for the exact same reasons that EarthBound was cancelled; StarTropics, an action-heavy RPG of sorts, was made as sort of an introductory course to RPGs for a market that did not respond as warmly as Japan to the likes of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. EarthBound was cancelled because it was expected that that same disinterest would result in lukewarm sales.

And, connecting it to the "outer space" that's implied by the cover of ST and half of the game's title, around the same that Nintendo filed for a trademark on the name "Earth Bound", they also filed for "Star Bound".

That's very interesting. Thanks for the history lesson.

cafemomo

Okay, care enough to donate $20 dollars for prediction contest? :p

Since you are the first to quote me, if that guy's prediction is true, I will buy you either $20 Nintendo credit or 3 months PS+. (provided you live in NA)

It's not much, but I really do think the dude's "leaked info" is bullshit.

Linkhero1

Halt

I come from the future. On June 11th, 2013 there will be plenty of bannings, plenty of meltdowns, and one member will step up to the plate and feel the wrath of this board.

L6KKu.jpg

It's the opposite for me. I received the Nintendo Power featuring ST back in the day (there was a big parrot on the cover if IRC) and I knew right away it wasn't for me. I own the game but I don't care for it really. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but that is one franchise I wouldn't care about should they resurrect it. Nintendo should move away from tropical islands altogether; Mario Sunshine is also the least interesting of the mainline Mario titles and Isle Delfino is partly to blame IMO.

That's very interesting. Thanks for the history lesson.

jqYssBo.jpg

It's the opposite for me. I received the Nintendo Power featuring ST back in the day (there was a big parrot on the cover if IRC) and I knew right away it wasn't for me. I own the game but I don't care for it really. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but that is one franchise I wouldn't care about should they resurrect it. Nintendo should move away from tropical islands altogether; Mario Sunshine is also the least interesting of the mainline Mario titles and Isle Delfino is partly to blame IMO.

Okaaay. Have you by any chance lived in Hawaii, the Bahamas, or Jamaica most of your life Canadian Psycho?

Ponn

Banned
Wow. Im still very interested in Wii U, i have to say more so then the next gen twins. Its just, like Vita, people have to be more realistic about what it is, who its for and what its going to get. I think its a hard fix and the situation is probably the worst for a console to be in but ive been saying all along Wii U's glimmer of hope is if Sony and MS fuck up really bad (which people are starting to realize yes, yes they can) and people come back or stick with current gen with Wii U being in a unique position to capitalize on the need for a new console without the balloned developer costs and mature current gen engines to build off.

I truly would like to see the true potential of the gamepad so i really hope they can turn it around. If these rumors are true i may be jumping on sooner than later. That Star Tropics if true, unghhh. I would like to hear more about VC expansion though.

I would love to see a reboot of StarTropics. Preferably as an action-adventure game or action-RPG.

It can really work well for Retro. Tropical environment, modern day setting, aliens, and a potential back story to work with or even build up.

takriel

From our prophet:

Regarding 3DS direct: the U and 3DS directs are bith happening period. They had to decide 3DS or U first. Due to the U's situation and anxious people U is going first. 3DS a few days later.

Doesn't this sound very implausible though? In all likelihood the 3DS Direct would also take place during E3, maybe even on the same day.

Claneko

Star Tropics and "an IP everyone has been wanting Retro to work on" doesn't add up. All I have ever heard people want from them is more Metroid, maybe a shot at Zelda or F-Zero.

Star Tropics though...that shit is so far out of left field in this case.

Hah, it would certainly be quite something if most or even all of this turned out to be true. I don't think anything besides Retro's game being StarTropics is too farfetched and I also have my doubts about Mario Kart U being MK7HD but who knows :)

Azure J

Star Tropics and "an IP everyone has been wanting Retro to work on" doesn't add up. All I have ever heard people want from them is more Metroid, maybe a shot at Zelda or F-Zero.

Star Tropics though...that shit is so far out of left field in this case.

The "game/IP everyone has been wanting Retro to work on" line was debunked as wishful thinking/rumor quite a while back, no?

The "game/IP everyone has been wanting Retro to work on" line was debunked as wishful thinking/rumor quite a while back, no?

How could something like that be debunked? You don't need to be a prophet to safely bet that whatever Retro is working on isn't an original IP of theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom