• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Thread Summarizer - Read high impact posts in threads, track replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesido

It should automatically update, but this was 1.6.x was out for a day so I dunno why you didn't receive it..

Can you try this:
http://lifehacker.com/5805239/how-to-manually-update-your-chrome-extensions

I haven't checked it myself though. (the manual update)

I think you'll like seeing those quotes in normal thread view (optional, but default on, but only when you analyse)..

Do you think we should do auto-analyse threads if you have a tracked user on page, for example? Or maybe would a shortcut right on the thread title to start analysis? I'm open to suggestions.

hesido

Hello people.

I've added the extension to GitHUB, with the Zlib License attached.

https://github.com/hesido/NeoGAF-ThreadSummarizer-Extension

I've never worked with GIT so this is kind of a trial for me. You can explore my twisted ways of programming, enhance the script, maintain your own branches (is that possible?) while I maintain the main branch and / or explore exotic features under separate branches. I'm hoping GIT will allow me do that without screwing up the project.

Version on the GIT is upped by a 0.0.0.1 but it's just code clean up, nothing particular.

hesido

I'm now developing live thread functionality for analysed threads (while keeping the paginated view), you'll probably like it even more.

It's taking me longer than expected though. Give it a couple of days.

hesido

Version 1.7.0.0 is live, your browsers should update it in a couple of hours.

The update is about new post notifications, now you do not have to manually refresh the page to see if there are any new posts.
LMG9KVq.gif

You can turn this off if you like (auto refresh last page option)

Future updates will involve in navigation replacement (to display adequate number of pages on any cached pages regardless of its cached time) and bandwidth optimizations (stop looking for new posts after a certain times of no new posts (dead or slow thread)

Of course, when you close the analysed thread page, all activity stops and after a given amount time, all cached and analysis data is removed.

hesido

Thanks hesido, sounds great.

Thanks, glad at least a select few is enjoying the extension.

I'm glad to see that the extension is not eating lots of memory even when caching 140 pages of the [edit:]Paris Games Week thread. I'll make it so that every link inside a cached thread uses the caches for the ultimate speedy navigation.

NaviLink

I try to be up to date when it comes to extensions developped specifically for GAF, but for some reason I missed this one. Interesting concept. I'll give it a try on Chrome, although I'm mostly a Firefox user.

hesido

Well I'm trying get this to be known as it's really handy for me and the uptake has so far been slow but steady. The interesting is that I'm really working hard on this for some reason :)

Please let me know of any realistic feature suggestions and I'll try anything that doesn't make this bloatware.

hesido

This looks awesome, but I'm not ready to move past Firefox just yet. Ugh.

If a total of 10 people ask for a firefox version (here or through pm), I'll try a conversion. Because I'm a mad person, but I'm fairly certain it won't hit those numbers.

Also the extension is open sourced at the earlier mentioned link, any mad scripter is welcome to do it :tongue-out-smiley:

Currently there are two that mentioned firefox, I guess.

hesido

This extension has been a life saver over the last few days. Thanks hesido.

Glad to be of help :)

Although the extension did give me grief in some of the mega threads, especially when there are page load problems probably due to GAF servers (that's my best guess), so it may need better error handling on the network side. Though proper testing of it may require some form of "unit testing" that involves network errors on random intervals, which I could probably simulate by feeding faulty url's at random intervals, then again it's too much work. :\

I may add simultaneous page loading (like I do with individual post loading when cache's are turned off) with auto-retries on errors (which the post loading doesn't, but only places an error notification instead of the post).

I too would be interested in a Firefox version of this.

Firefox +1

+1 as well.

Works well on Chromium Version 47.0.2526.73 Ubuntu 15.10 (64-bit)

Uh, oh.. That makes five of you. I should maybe put a time restriction because eventually the number would hit 10. :)

Late edit:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions

I swear this is a totally new thing. And indeed it is:
WebExtensions are a new way to write Firefox extensions.

The technology is designed for cross-browser compatibility: to a large extent the API is compatible with the extension API supported by Google Chrome and Opera. Extensions written for these browsers will in most cases run in Firefox with just a few changes. The API is also fully compatible with multiprocess Firefox.

What this means is, porting to Firefox as an extension is no longer the MASSIVE undertaking that would require me to re-write entire extension wide messaging systems, with some luck I should be able to produce that version fairly easily.

What this means is, porting to Firefox as an extension is no longer the MASSIVE undertaking that would require me to re-write entire extension wide messaging systems, with some luck I should be able to produce that version fairly easily.

If you are able to get a working Firefox extension, I would gladly Paypal you some funds for your time. Keeping track of threads here is tough, anything to make it easier would be worth paying for.

hesido

If you are able to get a working Firefox extension, I would gladly Paypal you some funds for your time. Keeping track of threads here is tough, anything to make it easier would be worth paying for.

Oh, no need for that :) I made an "Old" Opera version for just a single person (terrisus) but now he's permabanned I guess? Of course that was partly because I'm so fond of the Old Opera and took the challenge, and got an earlier version running by re-writing about 80% of the code, although I did regret my decision to do that conversion, just had to finish it because I went in deep.

There are already 7 of you, which is promising. I checked out the API differences and there are some parts that need small tweaks but nothing major as far as I could understand. I'll keep y'all posted.

hesido

A small update for a potential firefox version: Currently it seems to impossible to debug webextensions on firefox, also the content scripts seems to share the scope of the page scripts (No no no no). Seems that they are working on it. Hopefully by the time we hit the magical number 10 the support will be more complete. It's not practical to do the adaptation without being able to debug anything (and you can't even show an alert on the background.js).

hesido

Just tested:
Users of new generation Opera can download the open source extension from GitHub, the master branch, and start using the extension in developer mode by pointing to the directory that the files are in.

When I find the time I'll do an official upload in the Opera Extensions page, until then, you can enjoy the extension in developers mode and manually upgrade.

hesido

The switch to SSL has broken the extension. I'll look into this, hoping that it's not a browser level problem (disallowing functionality for secure site, for example, but just a simple regular expression thing).

Do not uninstall just yet. There are DOZENS of you, I know.

Edit: The problem is fixed, I'll be uploading the new version.

Edit: There are now 6 people left wanting a firefox version. Pathfinder is now banned. Hope it's not permanent!

Edit: The cached browsing broke. Will disable for now.

Edit: Problem is fixed, the extension is working as before. Thanks to Palculator.

hesido

I'm on Chrome and clicking 'List the x posts that quoted this post' doesn't work.

edit- I restarted and now it does, strange

Probably it wasn't able to update the extension in time. Hopefully the extension should keep working whether they go back to without SSL or stay like this. I'm so used to browsing GAF with it.

It works most of the time, but sometimes I hit that and everything disappears, or I hit it and nothing happens (also the bars between posts flash for some reason). Reloading the page seems to fix both.

hesido

It works most of the time, but sometimes I hit that and everything disappears, or I hit it and nothing happens (also the bars between posts flash for some reason). Reloading the page seems to fix both.

Probably site wide errors are causing it. Next update should focus on error handling then (for example, the extension does not retry loading an element if there's an error, and maybe it should provide appropriate and cleaner error messages than the currently very limited error messages or none at all on some sections) This was something that I was planning to address anyway. The bars between posts flashing notifies network access.

hesido

OK, I found the culprit for this. I'll fix it in couple of hours. Sorry for the sloppy fix!

hesido

You're welcome neuromancer :)

If your extension is updated to 1.7.0.2 The problem should be gone for most of the time.. I'll work on error handling, tho..

NateDog

Apologies for bumping this but I wanted to thank you OP for creating this. I don't have as much time as I did before for reading through some of the great and big threads here so this really really helps. I had to restore my laptop to default settings yesterday and this was one of the first things I noticed was missing on startup.

hesido

Apologies for bumping this but I wanted to thank you OP for creating this. I don't have as much time as I did before for reading through some of the great and big threads here so this really really helps. I had to restore my laptop to default settings yesterday and this was one of the first things I noticed was missing on startup.

You're welcome, I'm sorry for the late reply!

Don't be sorry at all, I've given this obscene amount of hours of pro-bono work and the more people are aware of this the better. I sometimes slip in a promo of this extension in some thread posts, where I think is appropriate. Hoping the admins consider this not a self promotion but something to help the fellow gaffers.

hesido

How is Firefox coming along with webextensions?

I have just checked and the support seems to be somewhat better since last time I visited the api site, although there needs to be some modifications still. Haven't checked if there are "game-breaking" features, but the debugger support seems to be missing, which is a real pain in the buttocks.

Luckily for me(!) the demand for the Firefox extension seems to be not there still, but of course the script is open sourced so any dev can take a look. (I don't think any sane developer would try because this probably is the most complicated NeoGAF extension, so much going on.)

hesido

Unfortunately no. It's extension API is structured somewhat differently and conversion would be a painful process.

system11

+1 for a Firefox version. Google decided a while ago that no new Chrome versions would be released for my not-yet-end-of-life OS version.

The debate thread is a real bad time to learn how to use this but I'm liking what I'm seeing hesido! Great stuff!

hesido

+1 for a Firefox version. Google decided a while ago that no new Chrome versions would be released for my not-yet-end-of-life OS version.

Does the new Opera work on your OS? It's based on Chromium and it can run the extension if you manually install it. :)

The debate thread is a real bad time to learn how to use this but I'm liking what I'm seeing hesido! Great stuff!
Thanks! Let me know if you have any problems..

hesido

Hmm this doesn't seem to work for me anymore, I just get the pulsing divider but it never opens up no matter how long I wait.

GC46mbh.gif

Oh. Can you try disabling the cache pages, or re-enabling it if it's not enabled?

This very rarely happens to me if it's the same problem, sometimes I re-start the extension and / or Chrome if the cache options do not help. Make sure you are browsing on www.neogaf.com and not with any other type of subdomain... Also check if there are any other extensions that work on the fabrics of neogaf, see if the extension can work by itself.

If you find an offending extension, please let me know.

Sometimes you may need to clear the thread cache and just reload. Hope that at least one of these help with your case.

hesido

Hi all, I realized I haven't updated for so long...

Any problems? Any suggestions? Is someone onto the firefox version?

I went C# programming for a while and hoping can get back to this, but so far it seems feature complete to me aside from maybe some fun features like word cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom