• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netherlands stops Turkish foreign minister's plane from landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TVexperto

Netherlands stops Turkish foreign minister's plane from landing as pro-Erdogan rallies cancelled across Europe

Turkish President reacts by comparing the Dutch government to Nazis

The Turkish President responded by comparing the Dutch government to Nazis, saying: "These Nazis, these fascists, whose planes will never again land in Turkey."

A spokesperson said the move was taken because of "risks to public order and security" caused by the proposed visit by Mevlut Cavusoglu to Rotterdam.

I wish Germany would have cancelled the events as well, there was one where he had 10,000 people attending in an arena. its crazy. imagine germany or any other country doing rallies in your country.

Nokterian

If Erdogan would take a look at himself first..the dictator..the man who put every journalist or critic in a cell also torturing them.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Erdogan needs to shut the fuck up. Nobody should back that autocrat who jails journalists and political opponents.

The event was supposed to go through, but smaller and not as public. The Dutch government was still negotiating with the Turkish government about it, but during the negotiations Turkey threatened with economic and political sanctions if the minister couldn't come, so the Netherlands said fuck it and won't let him land.

I don't really understand the commotion about the minister coming. They didn't have a legal basis to stop him coming here, unless there was a threat to public order. There wasn't, but now there is.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I mean, they told him they wouldn't let him land if he ever wanted to fly in. I don't know what he was thinking.

Jonnax

Erdogan really is fond of comparing everybody to Nazis, huh?

Really makes you think.

Well the biggest creator of Fake News calls everyone else fake news.

For a certain type of politician it works incredibly well with their base.

I read the title as "Neanderthals stop Turkish foreign minister's plane from landing" and was "wha-- what? neanderthals? how?" LOL, had a good laugh for a moment.

This whole sanctions talk is a LITTLE crazy. Unless Turkey wants to be hit by EU sanctions lol and doom its economy within a couple of months.

Good on them.

Fuck Merkel for allowing this here

It's really not that simple btw. Merkel isn't some kind of dictator that can just do whatever she wants.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I don't understand why the Turkish people keep voting him in, and that he has tons of supporters amongst Turks living abroad. You once had the chance to join the EU, and then you give this guy power...

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I don't understand why the Turkish people keep voting him in, and that he has tons of supporters amongst Turks living abroad. You once had the chance to join the EU, and then you give this guy power...
It's the same as Trump. Lots of rural and religious Turks support him.

Lets be honest, Turkey had no chance to join. There was a time Turkey would have done its best and complied and be european, but too many EU members have had an irrational hatred for Turkey.
And to put it bluntly, it is because Turkey is a majority Muslim country.

The prejudicial rejection these countries posed, has driven Turkey right into the arms of danger. Turkey would have been a better member than a number of EU countries I can think of.

Xando

It's really not that simple btw. Merkel isn't some kind of dictator that can just do whatever she wants.

There are ways to stop foreign politicians holding politcial rallies here. Merkel just doesn't want to upset Erdogan because she does not want the refugee deal gone

Elections are coming up and big bad muslim refugees hurt her more than some dictator calling us nazis

Caayn

I'm happy to see my government take a firm stance against Erdogan and his puppets.
I think that the Turkish living abroad have a sense of nostalgia towards Turkey. And preventing Turkey from evolving, by keeping someone like Erdogan in power, will keep that nostalgia intact.

I assume that Erdogan is betting on those people to help keep him.

Edit:

As I pointed out in the other thread, the turkish government has arranged these rally locations under a false name. The Turkish government doesn't seem to be afraid of using dirty tactics.
It seems that Turkey is renting speech areas under false claims in an attempt to hide them from the governments from other countries. A room rental owner in Hengelo, the Netherlands and the mayor of that city claimed that the reservations for the locations were made under false pretences.

Source: http://nos.nl/artikel/2162170-turkse-minister-wil-naar-hengelo-zalencentrum-zegt-af.html (Dutch warning)

so when is this guys term over again ?

This is the whole ball game - Turkey is having a referendum to change their constitution and remove the last checks on Erdoğan's power as well as extending his reign, well, potentially indefinitely. To get the required majority (or more likely the appearance of a sweeping mandate), he wants European citizens who also hold Turkish passports to vote for these changes and that's why the Turkish government actively campaigns in western democracies to basically dismantle their own. Any country who respects the rule of law and democracy should oppose this hateful authoritarian clown... or at the very least not cooperate with his attempts to create a powerful dictatorship on the eastern border of Europe.

This was absolutely the right move by the Dutch, sanctions and rhetoric be damned.

Shiggy

Edit:

As I pointed out in the other thread, the turkish government has arranged these rally locations under a false name. The Turkish government doesn't seem to be afraid of using dirty tactics.

Same in Germany.

Funnily, under Turkish law their own government isn't allowed to go abroad for such campaigning... but with no more rule of law, who cares?

JDB

Banned
Good. The obsession with Erdogan by some people of Turkish descent here is crazy. Go live in his country if you adore him so much.

roytheone

I do wonder if the elections next week had anything to do with this decision. If the rally was allowed to happen, you can bet your ass Wilders would grab that chance with both hands to point to it and scream "see! our current government is spineless, vote for me!".

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I do wonder if the elections next week had anything to do with this decision. If the rally was allowed to happen, you can bet your ass Wilders would grab that chance with both hands to point to it and scream "see! our current government is spineless, vote for me!".

He's already saying the government wouldn't have banned this if PVV didn't complain about it. Can we toss him in the tiger pit already?

I despise our government that we allow turkish rallies here. They called us Nazis and jailed one of our people and we act so cowardly. Get a spine and tell these clowns to stay away from our country.

TVexperto

This whole sanctions talk is a LITTLE crazy. Unless Turkey wants to be hit by EU sanctions lol and doom its economy within a couple of months.

The thing is ... she is not even speaking out against this

2San

Lets be honest, Turkey had no chance to join. There was a time Turkey would have done its best and complied and be european, but too many EU members have had an irrational hatred for Turkey.

The prejudicial rejection these countries posed, has driven Turkey right into the arms of danger. Turkey would have been a better member than a number of EU countries I can think of.
If feel like a lot of people ignore this.

Theorry

As a Dutch person myself. Good to see the the Prime Minister to take a stand when they threat with sanctions when they were still talking.
And Erdogan say "These Nazis, these fascists" says enough really. That guy is crazy.

Lets be honest, Turkey had any chance to join. There was a time Turkey would have done its best and complied and be european, but too many EU members have had an irrational hatred for Turkey. And let's be honest, it is because Turkey is a majority Muslim country.

First of all, being located in the Europe is kind of important when accepting new members. What is more, PKK has a long history of disputes and conflicts which haven't been resolved. I am not even going to touch the subject of Northern Cyprus. I wonder how accepting a barely-Eu continent country with ongoing conflicts is rational to you.

Turkey was in the "arms of danger" long before EU was formed. And no, if Turkey was a member of EU, it would be in the bottom of the living standards and human rights. It would also be the most different as far as the culture and religion go. Give me that list of EU countries which are less fit to be part of EU than Turkey is.

Nerazar

Exactly this.

Well, with power, you also have a special responsibility... plus, there is a stronger connection between Germany and Turkey than with the Netherlands. But it's a very good thing that another EU country did that instead of Germany.

I truly believe that even Merkel has her line crossed several times by now, but diplomatic as she is, she understands that the barking of Turkish officials is nothing more than a (cultural) sign of "strength" aimed to the supporters at home. You don't escalate if you don't have to.

Tiberius

I don't understand the logic of doing rallies in other countries for a domestic election
And i can't remember any other country doing this

I don't understand the logic of doing rallies in other countries for a domestic election
And i can't remember any other country doing this

He needs the votes of the turkish people living abroad. Germany is the fourth largest turkish county by votes. It just makes sense.

I fully expect agents provacateurs to start organizing 'spontaneous' angry mobs in Dutch cities in the near future.

The real irksome thing is that Geert Wilders (populist right opposition party leader) is taking credit for this move, claiming his pressure let the Dutch government find its balls. Election rhetoric but it plays right into the hands of Erdoğan.

Lucumo

Well, with power, you also have a special responsibility... plus, there is a stronger connection between Germany and Turkey than with the Netherlands. But it's a very good thing that another EU country did that instead of Germany.

I truly believe that even Merkel has her line crossed several times by now, but diplomatic as she is, she understands that the barking of Turkish officials is nothing more than a (cultural) sign of "strength" aimed to the supporters at home. You don't escalate if you don't have to.

It would be more of a sign that we actually obey the law, in addition to not supporting dictators who kill and jail political opponents while sowing hate.

roytheone

He's already saying the government wouldn't have banned this if PVV didn't complain about it. Can we toss him in the tiger pit already?

Can we also throw those guys from DENK in? I expect those Erdogan lackies to be all up in arms about this very soon.

Lucumo

I fully expect agents provacateurs to start organizing 'spontaneous' angry mobs in Dutch cities in the near future.

Those violent mobs should be caught and shipped (back) to Turkey, the country they love. Violence, especially political one, should never be allowed here.

Being called a fascist by Erdogan is a compliment. Good job neighbours.

After the 'coup' in Turkey we already had Erdogan's goons causing trouble with Gulenist supporters in Belgium. Those speeches would only have fueled the hate and divisions even more.

Turkey had no chance but they also never fulfilled all the qualifications to do so. Racist propaganda has always been prominent against Turkey but not becoming part of the EU has not brought Erdogan into power. The EU didn't even stop Viktor Orban.

norinrad

Excellent. There should be no room for that kind of crap here.

I mean, they told him they wouldn't let him land if he ever wanted to fly in. I don't know what he was thinking.

I guess he was under some illusion that Turkey is a powerful country on the international stage and should be allowed to do what they want.

iceatcs

If no won, I can see they will blame the EU.
But I do kind worry of Turkish people after April that could be lead bad thing. Turkish policing, nationalist and Islamist are so crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom