• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netherlands stops Turkish foreign minister's plane from landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonradLaw

EU's backing the Netherlands, at last:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39278131

Tusk will save Europe
comment_pgrpocdv5r660yAdyWtV2W9U4Ss1IcxC.jpg
MEGA. Make Europe Great Again.
Sorry Americans, our Donald is much better than yours!

;)

Sorry, I'm just ridiculously happy he's been selected for second term :)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Angela Merkel's chief of staff threatens entry ban for Turkish politicians

Germany ”reserves the right" to impose an entry ban on Turkish politicians, but would only do so as a ”last resort," according to Angela Merkel's Chief of Staff Peter Altmaier in an interview published Wednesday.

Speaking to the Berliner Morgenposten, Altmaier said, ”Turkey is always keen to ensure that its honor is not violated. Germany also has honor."

Altmaier said the fact that the federal government has not yet approved a blanket ban on visiting politicians doesn't give Turkey ”a free choice for the future." He said that the German government ”will look very closely at what is responsible [speech] and what is not."

Haha, Amsterdam's plan for if the Turkish minister would come there was pretty funny: http://www.at5.nl/artikelen/166842/...--en-muziekshow-in-petto-voor-turkse-minister

The meeting might have taken place at the Museumplein and that was a problem for the mayor if he wanted to ban it. "I couldn't really ban them from speaking from the entrance platform to the people."

Legally the mayor could not close the square, but to still stop the meeting there were plans for a sideshow. "Nothing would stop us from building a large stage there with a video wall and a touring car and the most beautiful fireworks."

Would have been a funny sight.

Harmen

Yup, I'm worried.

Yes, this worries me. I hope refugees won't be the victim of this, as their situation is dire enough as is already.

Still, I totally agree with how my nation reacted and how the EU now takes a stance with us.

Xando

I think cancelling that deal will have major, major negative repercussions for Turkey.

He knows that the refugee deal is all that stops germany from outright banning turkish politicians coming to germany.

German public is already wanting merkel to go hardline on erdogan according to latest polls and the refugee deal is the thing stopping her

Carn82

Not sure if this should be in this topic, but anyways:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ist-no-difference-rallies-islam-a7632571.html

A Turkish minister has claimed "holy wars will soon begin" in Europe, in spite of the defeat of far-right leader Geert Wilders in the Netherlands elections.

Mevlut Cavusoglu, Turkey’s foreign minister, did not welcome the victory for Prime Minister Mark Rutte’s centre-right People’s Party for Freedom and Democracy (VVD).

“Now the election is over in the Netherlands...when you look at the many parties you see there is no difference between the social democrats and fascist Wilders,” he said according to a translation by Hurriyet.

“All have the same mentality. Where will you go? Where are you taking Europe? You have begun to collapse Europe. You are dragging Europe into the abyss. Holy wars will soon begin in Europe.”

He's really internalized the "Turkey paves the way for Europe" narrative, then. Heh.

The prime minister Binali Yıldırım said in a meeting today that AKP was the reason Wilders lost the election and that the Turkish government had given no quarter to fascism. This is some War-Is-Peace bullshit right there, I can't believe he seriously thinks his party's Islamist, polarizing rhetoric would bolster any rating in Europe but the far right. Wilders lost despite the Turkish government's provocation, not because of it. But that's the sort of shit these people's followers gobble right up.

Edit: Source for the above. I wish this was The Onion so, so, so, so bad.

Joni

They wouldn't be this loud if everything was going their way. Let's hope this is a sign of a population fed up with them and them running scared of losing their power.

A little more information in the article by now.

Apparently it's a decision made by AKP itself, maybe due to pressure from Germany, though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Someone educate me, why were they so keen to campaign to begin with? Dictators aren't usually overly worried about their voter turnout.

Someone educate me, why were they so keen to campaign to begin with? Dictators aren't usually overly worried about their voter turnout.
He still needs the actual votes. Turkey isn't a total dictatorship and he doesn't enjoy full support from the whole population.

The Turkish citizens in Europe are - last I heard - more in favor of Erdogan then the actual people in Turkey, so campaigning there means better results for him.

Plus, when the EU countries pushed back against it a bit, it became a nice opportunity for Erdogan to seem like the strong man and distract from other issues.

Because Erdogan still needs to win this? Afaik the few unbiased polls actually show that no is a little more likely to win. Turkey might be on its way to a dictatorship if this goes through. It's nowhere there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom