• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netherlands stops Turkish foreign minister's plane from landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 Srebenica is not a genocide, it's a massacre in a wartorn country. Look up genocide in a dictionary.
#2 If point #1 was true, so if it was a genocide: the Dutch did not commit this genocide, the Serbians did.
#3 Even if #1 and #2 were true: The Dutch who failed to act were there under UN command, not under Dutch command, so even if they did the genocide and not the Serbians they wouldn't be the ones responsible.

Apart from the whole reasoning being a logical fallacy (Tu Quoque) it is also a false equivalence.. another logical fallacy. Making the whole line of reasoning totally absurd.

Gee dude.

Also, the whole bloody government resigned after the UN report, it ended the careers of the military commanders involved, many of the soldiers who were there suffered greatly from PTSD with over half a dozen suicides, we paid more reparations to families of the victims than the Serbs ever did despite flimsy legal liability that we didn't contest out of piety, we poured millions into rebuilding the area and attend the annual commemorations with high ranking officials.

What more does the world expect from us at this point?

Joni

What the hell is this Erdogan on about? Why the fuck even bring up Srebrenica?
Wow... It's a shame the Turks have to deal with an aggressive dictator like him. Many people will be unhappy because of the power-hungry rants of a fool.

He is getting scared of losing. Losers get less goats to fuck.

dakun

#1 Srebenica is not a genocide, it's a massacre in a wartorn country. Look up genocide in a dictionary.
#2 If point #1 was true, so if it was a genocide: the Dutch did not commit this genocide, the Serbians did.
#3 Even if #1 and #2 were true: The Dutch who failed to act were there under UN command, not under Dutch command, so even if they did the genocide and not the Serbians they wouldn't be the ones responsible.

Apart from the whole reasoning being a logical fallacy (Tu Quoque) it is also a false equivalence.. another logical fallacy. Making the whole line of reasoning totally absurd.

Gee dude.

pretty sure there were multiple international rulings in favor of calling it a genocide. I mean regardless of whether you think it's one or not, don't act like he just pulled the word genocide out of his ass.

Trunx28

the first german federal state, the small Saarland, banned all turkish politicians to advertise their campaign. Well, it's election in Saarland end of march, but still: Bold move.

norinrad

He's not wrong here, you know. Despite his own fair share of shittiness, the Dutch role in the Srebrenica genocide is a huge scandal that still hasn't been solved properly.

Until you dig deeper into the roles played by the US, UK and France, do not make such comments as it comes of as blaming the Netherlands based on media narrative.

valkyre

Can our Turkish friends give this asshole the middle finger come referendum day?

He cant possibly jail the entire population that votes NO as terrorists right...?

Right?

Can our Turkish friends give this asshole the middle finger come referendum day?

He cant possibly jail the entire population that votes NO as terrorists right...?

Right?

It's too late, Turkey is a lost cause.

The Islamists took over, anyone that dares say something is either a "FETO" or a "PKK" supporter. Basically, all opposition are terrorists.
The government controls all relevant media, they shut down opposition media.
Corruption is now rampant across the country, the Lira has fallen to historical lows in the past decade or so and unemployment rates are near 30% if you calculate all the stay home wives.

valkyre

The Islamists took over, anyone that dares say something is either a "FETO" or a "PKK" supporter. Basically, all opposition are terrorists.
Corruption is now rampant across the country, the Lira has fallen to historical lows in the past decade or so and unemployment rates are near 30% if you calculate all the stay home wives.

Arent all these reasons even more fuel to shout out a big NO in the referendum?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
If the polling is close, I think it's pretty likely Erdogan will win. He has many tools available to influence public opinion, including control of the media, stirring up trouble with Kurds, voter fraud/intimidation, and inflaming tensions with foreign powers.

The time for Turkey to turn away from the path of Islamist dictatorship is long past, I think.

They don't have any logic to understand situation. Think about like they are dogs and Erdoğan is who feed them.

These words mean more fuel for yes for his side, because they think Erdoğan have power to challenge EU.

Right?

Speaking as a Turk living in Turkey:

This pretty much.

Not to the average voter, because "Every other country's against Turkey" (heard the schoolbus driver say "The only friend of a Turk is another Turk" today), "Turkey is the democratic beacon of Islam", "I LOVE MUH NATION AND I'LL DIE TO PROTECT IT WITH MY LIFE"

Come on Turkey. Do you really want a full dictatorship????

Seeing the love towards the Ottoman Empire, I doubt many in Erdoğan's voter base would hesitate to declare him Padishah once more.

Pomerlaw

It's all about religion again isn't it.

Islamic shit hole in 3... 2... 1...

Can we kick them out of NATO? I have a feeling that love story between him and Putin won't last forever.

Soph

pretty sure there were multiple international rulings in favor of calling it a genocide. I mean regardless of whether you think it's one or not, don't act like he just pulled the word genocide out of his ass.

Madness

This is what I am thinking. If these moronic pro-Erdogan Turks want to vote a dictator into power, sway their once secular nation into an increasingly theocratic authoritarian state, just let them.

What the idiots in Netherlands also fail to see is that they have alienated a lot of Dutch voters on the eve of elections and Geert Wilders is pollint first and Rutte is now even using remarks like either behave or go away etc. Someone is gonna eventually challenge this Putin wannabe. Turkey still controls part of Cyprus it illegally invaded, it refuses to acknowledge the Armenian genocide, clamps down on the Kurds in Iraq and Syria because any greater autonomy for them there would present challenges to the Kurds in Turkey etc. I would just say at this point, tell them fuck off, if you want to give a dictator more powers go ahead, but we won't let you use our country to hold rallies.

Ac30

Can we kick them out of NATO? I have a feeling that love story between him and Putin won't last forever.

If America threatens to pulls their nukes out we'll see if he still wants to talk tough.

But since Trump has business interests there, yeah right.

Also isn't Rutte telling them to fuck off going to help him, and not the PVV, in the polls?

hEist

this is getting more and more serious and gives people some not so good ideas to be honest...
dunuKM0.png
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/841727191201267712

SkylineRKR

Didn't Turkey do extremely well like 10 years ago? He held the position of prime minister and must've been responsible for that growth as well. Did he make a 180 or something or was he just waiting for his shot at becoming president?

SkylineRKR

Its bad enough that he's so misinformed, although hate mongering is what madmen usually do.

Calling us Nazis is plain stupid. Survivors still live, that topic is very painful for them.

The genocide is more like wtf. Sebrenica mission was a huge fail, and we paid the price for it. Responsible for the genocide are still Milosevic, Mladic and Karadzic.

mo60

This is what I am thinking. If these moronic pro-Erdogan Turks want to vote a dictator into power, sway their once secular nation into an increasingly theocratic authoritarian state, just let them.

What the idiots in Netherlands also fail to see is that they have alienated a lot of Dutch voters on the eve of elections and Geert Wilders is pollint first and Rutte is now even using remarks like either behave or go away etc. Someone is gonna eventually challenge this Putin wannabe. Turkey still controls part of Cyprus it illegally invaded, it refuses to acknowledge the Armenian genocide, clamps down on the Kurds in Iraq and Syria because any greater autonomy for them there would present challenges to the Kurds in Turkey etc. I would just say at this point, tell them fuck off, if you want to give a dictator more powers go ahead, but we won't let you use our country to hold rallies.

Wilders is not polling first.The last time I checked he was still polling second.

Edit: Some recent seat projection polls so the PVV in a distant second, barely second and even in third place.

SkylineRKR

Wilders has been going down IIRC. Though his party is hard to estimate, usually people won't come out and say they'll vote for him.

If you're outside Turkey, but if you're inside all you're getting his side of the story and tales about how Europe is out to fuck Turkey over.
Always funny seeing comments like yours, like living under a dictatorship isnt that easy.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This is genocide.

You're asking this after Brexit and Trump?

avaya

the EU should help and fund Greece and Bulgaria build a wall on the Turkish border

This is the correct answer. They need to beef up the security around the area and cut Turkey lose. They are a bad actor and allowing the fuckery just so we can have some level of security on the eastern border is pure folly.

But don't forget about this, 49% of Turkey population don't want Erdoğan. But sadly other 49% of population unable to reconcile with each other. So Turkey in really bad situation.

Ac30

this is getting more and more serious and gives people some not so good ideas to be honest...

https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/841727191201267712

lol, yes, the combined might of Turkey, Yemen, and...? All the rest are Western allies. Iran certainly doesn't want a war with Europe either.

Shit like this is why executive power is dangerous. I'm happy we switched to multiparty parliamentary systems in Europe because Turkey, the Philippines and the US are doing a damn fine job of showing us why having a president with legislative power is a bad idea.

Soph

my comment was not directed at Dutch involvement but your response to it not being a genocide.

Semantics, my comment was just to underline the mental gymnastics of the poster I reacted to. Hence, showing more than one reason it was methodically ridiculous;.

Ac30

But don't forget about this, 49% of Turkey population don't want Erdoğan. But sadly other 49% of population unable to reconcile with each other. So Turkey in really bad situation.

Sadly, soon enough that won't matter. Hopefully economic conditions will get him removed, eventually. I do feel bad for the majority of Turks who are about to find out what living under a dictatorship is like.

hEist

lol, yes, the combined might of Turkey, Yemen, and...? All the rest are Western allies. Iran certainly doesn't want a war with Europe either.

Shit like this is why executive power is dangerous. I'm happy we switched to multiparty parliamentary systems in Europe because Turkey, the Philippines and the US are doing a damn fine job of showing us why having a president with legislative power is a bad idea.

I don't mean war or something like. More that some of his fans will start trouble.

Joni

68% of Flemish Turks would vote for Erdogan. Fucking hell.

Why not? They absolutely don't feel any consequence of it. They just see him complaining about Zhulal Demir and see how 'great' he is because he is opposing that 'traitor' that wants them to integrate.

it really isn't but it gets extremely instrumentalized. i would say it's one of the current situations where you can see how one "major topic" is used to simplify and justify planned actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom