• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

cireza

I have a N3DS XL, top screen is IPS, but honestly this is still so lacking in quality I can't stand playing this console anymore.

I hope that Nintendo will make a real effort concerning screen quality for their next console.

Adamator

I got the Fates Edition N3DS XL from Amazon yesterday and Mine is also Top TN, bottom IPS.

This actually helped me make a decision about keeping the system or not. I have the Hyrule Gold Edition with an IPS top screen and I am much bigger fan of Zelda than FE, but still I really liked the 2 tone design of the FE Edition. Still, I had been torn for days on which one I ultimately wanted in the end. I was heavily Leaning towards keeping my Zelda edition and once I saw my Fates Top screen was TN, that sealed the deal and I'm keeping The Hyrule Edition.

Femto.

Update on my situation.

So instead of returning my Fates 3DS XL I asked to exchange it for another, luckily my nearby GameStop had two extra units, and asked if I could open it up in-store to check. Luckily for me I was able to get a unit with two IPS screens!

Here are some quick shots I took in the dark side by side with my Majora's 3DS with a top IPS and bottom TN (for those who missed my comparison from the previous page):

163CAB82-58DE-4A68-A221-2E7DB9A3D550_zps9aeewl2u.jpg
0998BE78-67E6-4277-A1BF-217ABEC4DC8F_zpswxrmeo7m.jpg

So they do exist but given the reports here and on some other forums the top TN + bottom IPS screen combo seems to be most common.

L.O.R.D

Update on my situation.

So instead of returning my Fates 3DS XL I asked to exchange it for another, luckily my nearby GameStop had two extra units, and asked if I could open it up in-store to check. Luckily for me I was able to get a unit with two IPS screens!

Here are some quick shots I took in the dark side by side with my Majora's 3DS with a top IPS and bottom TN (for those who missed my comparison from the previous page):

So they do exist but given the reports here and on some other forums the top TN + bottom IPS screen combo seems to be most common.

congrats , you lucky bastard XD

its_beautiful.jpg

It could be a 6-bit IPS panel. It'll have better viewing angles than a TN panel but not as good colors as a true 8-bit IPS panel.

That's possible, every real screenshot i've seen was 16bit colour (5-6-5). Not sure if that's the only mode the system supports but it seems like it.
edit: nvm didn't realise this was old.

Femto.

congrats , you lucky bastard XD
No kidding, the store I originally bought it at had no more in stock but told me that the one nearby my place had two when I had already made up my mind to return it. I was shocked there was more stock after launch day. Probably pre order cancels or something.

I should buy lotto tickets.

Audioboxer

Update on my situation.

Niiice. I thought it was top IPS bottom TN that was most common? That's what I have.

Dual IPS, that bitch is rare.

Nintendo acting like it doesn't matter... It is a fairly big quality difference.

Femto.

Niiice. I thought it was top IPS bottom TN that was most common? That's what I have.

Dual IPS, that bitch is rare.

Nintendo acting like it doesn't matter... It is a fairly big quality difference.
Let me correct myself.

Top TN, bottom IPS seems to be most common for the Fates 3DS XL models. I think maybe Nintnedo wanted to do dual IPS initially and then switch to TN when they ran out of top IPS screens, maybe? Idk it's very dumb and weird. I was just very fortunate to get a Fates 3DS with two IPS screens. I hope Nintendo's next handheld is single screen so we'll have to worry about one screen instead of two.

L.O.R.D

Let me correct myself.

Top TN, bottom IPS seems to be most common for the Fates 3DS XL models. I think maybe Nintnedo wanted to do dual IPS initially and then switch to TN when they ran out of top IPS screens, maybe? Idk it's very dumb and weird. I was just very fortunate to get a Fates 3DS with two IPS screens. I hope Nintendo's next handheld is single screen so we'll have to worry about one screen instead of two.
and screen resolution above 240p
Hopefully 720p.

Shenmue

Banned
No kidding, the store I originally bought it at had no more in stock but told me that the one nearby my place had two when I had already made up my mind to return it. I was shocked there was more stock after launch day. Probably pre order cancels or something.

I should buy lotto tickets.

Wow so Gamestop lets you return or exchange it? I would like to do this as well and try to get an dual IPS.

Femto.

Wow so Gamestop lets you return or exchange it? I would like to do this as well and try to get an dual IPS.

Return: No, but the manager where I bought it from was really cool and told me he'd refund me the day I picked it up if it came out defective.Since it is a limited item and couldn't guarantee me another unit.

Exchange: Yes, you have a 30 day exchange/warranty with the receipt. If your item is defective they will switch it for the same SKU.

So if any GameStop near you has units left I'd suggest giving it a shot! I too was surprised to find out another store still had some stock available.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Gotta say, after now having a good amount of time with the my N3DS, it's odd to see people trying hard for IPS panels. I'd honestly want a dual-TN model were I to go back to the XL size.

In any case, I'm really hoping the next system is huge improvement over both.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
In person it's a pretty big difference.

I know, I have an IPS XL.
The missing detail from the crushed blacks in game were evident when I replayed some of my games and especially when I put the games side to side. Not fan of the IPS calibration on these screens.

I know, I have an IPS XL.
The missing detail from the crushed blacks in game were evident when I replayed some of my games and especially when I put the games side to side. Not fan of the IPS calibration on these screens.

It is different for sure. It reminds me of the difference between the frontlit GBA SP and the backlit GBA SP.

It is different for sure. It reminds me of the difference between the frontlit GBA SP and the backlit GBA SP.

There is NO WAY it is this much of a difference. Absolutely not. Been playing my GBA SP frontlit on the train and the AGS101 at home and the difference is nearly generational. The 3ds screen differences are not even close to that much of a difference.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There is NO WAY it is this much of a difference. Absolutely not. Been playing my GBA SP frontlit on the train and the AGS101 at home and the difference is nearly generational. The 3ds screen differences are not even close to that much of a difference.

I was thinking more about how minor background detail can be colored, or highlighted by the light source. Overall though, it's no question the backlit screen is superior.

Yeah, in the end, 3DS screen differences are minor in comparison. Some black crush won't affect the grand majority.

TLZ

Banned
So uhh, I have a N3DS XL. How do I know if it's IPS or not? I don't have another to compare.

The color saturation is what reminded me of the SPs. Going from a 3DSXL to a N3DSXL with an IPS screen felt similar to me. I don't have all four lined up to compare though.

Vex_

Banned
You guys mention input lag but never mention how much input lag the newer IPS screens have? That would immediately make me start freaking out and not upgrade from my old 3ds.

This thread is so depressing. I have wanted to upgrade to the new 3DS XL for quite some time now. But I'm buggered if I'm going to play Nintendos lottery game to see if I get one with the screen that I want. So annoying.

T0wRen

Alright GAF

For those getting the FE Fates 3DS XL today post your screen types!

I won't open mine until I get some impressions. I already have a top IPS panel with my Majora's Mask edition so I'll return the FE one if they're all wonky.
Top screen is TN and bottom one is IPS. Makes me sad because the system and hinges are absolutely perfect. The hinge doesn't move at all or click very loud on this new FE: Fates edition. I've owned about 5 3DS' and this new Fire Emblem Fates one is the best quality. I wish I had that top IPS screen... Managed to order another one from Target. Hopefully I get a dual IPS FE: Fates system.

T0wRen

I just picked up my second FE: Fates New 3DS XL and I won the Nintendo screen lottery! DOUBLE IPS Screens (3DS on the right)! 3DS on the left has an IPS on top, TN on bottom. Man the colors/blacks really pop on the IPS display.

6joxNvL.jpg

L.O.R.D

Some people managed to swap the screen with ips panel found in eBay.
And managed to install successfully.
It goes around $50 for the screen.

bigkurz

Banned
I'm the guy from the Pokemon n3DS thread who posted about the IPS screens. Here's the two pictures I've taken. My Pokemon n3DS is to the left. The animal crossing HHD new 3DS is to the right. Both set to the same brightness and power saving off

image.jpg

image.jpg

L.O.R.D

I'm the guy from the Pokemon n3DS thread who posted about the IPS screens. Here's the two pictures I've taken. My Pokemon n3DS is to the left. The animal crossing HHD new 3DS is to the right. Both set to the same brightness and power saving off

image.jpg

image.jpg

you should try your luck with the lottery.

Canon

Banned
My Pokemon New 3DS seems to have double IPS screens

comparing it to my New 3DS XL (Majora's Mask edition), New 3DS (pokemon), and 3DS XL (old one)

New 3DS XL has an IPS top screen but a TN bottom screen.
New 3DS has two IPS screens, or I'm blind.
3DS XL has TN all the way.

jbimpub.jpg

Bigger image + image of backlight bleed
http://imgur.com/a/HWyTn

HOWEVER, the New 3DS Pokemon has severe backlight bleeding. It's perhaps not a deal breaker, but it is not normal. The color tone is also very warm, much warmer than either of my other 3DS systems.

In fact, comparing Pokemon Yellow to Pokemon Red, the game looks white on my New 3DS XL and much warmer white on the New 3DS [pokemon]

I would probably return it for another unit if I felt like it's common to get two IPS screens? ... the backlight bleed is kind of annoying -- is it common?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say "TN" and "color accuracy" as a positive connotation.

Normally I'd agree, but this particular IPS calibration is off and over-satuated like the original Vita OLED.
The TN is by no means perfect, haha.

T0wRen

Picked up 2 Pokemon edition New 3DS systems. One had dual TN panels and the other had dual IPS panels. Here is the Pokemon system with dual IPS (I returned the dual TN panel already) So the smaller New 3DS' do indeed exist with IPS.

@Canon, I'm sorry about the bleeding, my Pokemon dual IPS 3DS doesn't have this... Very frustrating indeed.

mXSALRv.jpg

Top Bottom