• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

Bittercup

The small new 3DS models can have IPS screens? Or is this only for the Pokemon models? I wanted to buy the naked model without any bundled games.
That makes it complicated.
I had planned to buy one and thought TN was the only option.
What do you do to get dual IPS screens? Ordering and returning the system over and over again on e.g. amazon until you get one?

kaioshade

I got my Pokemon 3DS last night and swapped the innards from my Black Euro 3DS, so i could have a Black US 3ds. Then i powered them both on and promptly wept. The Pokemon 3DS is indeed dual IPS, where my Euro one is Dual TN.

I really wanted a Black US 3DS, but no way in hell i can use the TN when dual IPS goodness is right there, begging to be used. Might just have to deal with the white 3DS.

T0wRen

The small new 3DS models can have IPS screens? Or is this only for the Pokemon models? I wanted to buy the naked model without any bundled games.
That makes it complicated.
I had planned to buy one and thought TN was the only option.
What do you do to get dual IPS screens? Ordering and returning the system over and over again on e.g. amazon until you get one?
Yep. Very possible. But it's just like the N3DS XL to where it's a stupid luck lottery still. The only thing I haven't seen yet is a "mixed-screen" smaller N3DS. They either have dual TN or dual IPS screens, or so it's been in my experience. I lucked out and got a dual IPS on my second Pokemon N3DS purchase. I really hope majority are IPS though.

Canon

Banned
For those who say they don't have backlight bleed, do you play in the day or in complete darkness? Because in the day it isn't as noticeable.

KPJZKC

I picked up a n3ds XL in Ireland and I believe both screens are IPS. They don't have that strange color distortion at an angle anyway.

So for a handheld, there's really no advantage of having an IPS screen over a TN right? Viewing angle shouldn't matter, and having slightly more vivid colors is offset by having worse blacks.

Canon

Banned
So for a handheld, there's really no advantage of having an IPS screen over a TN right? Viewing angle shouldn't matter, and having slightly more vivid colors is offset by having worse blacks.
It looks a lot better. I don't notice this black issue...

Bittercup

Yep. Very possible. But it's just like the N3DS XL to where it's a stupid luck lottery still. The only thing I haven't seen yet is a "mixed-screen" smaller N3DS. They either have dual TN or dual IPS screens, or so it's been in my experience. I lucked out and got a dual IPS on my second Pokemon N3DS purchase. I really hope majority are IPS though.
Thank you :) Good to know. I hope I get a nice screen.

ss_lemonade

The difference between my og 3ds/3dsxl and my n3dsxl with a top IPS panel is night and day. Not sure about TN n3ds units but I would imagine there wouldn't be much difference between that and that older models.

T0wRen

I've been testing all types of 3DS screens (I have 4 including roommates' 3DS) and there are ZERO pros to having a TN panel. IPS has better color accuracy, better blacks, better viewing angles and smoother super-stable 3D adjustments. You can tell Nintendo made the N3DS with IPS panels in mind. It makes me really sad that TN screens are an issue and doesn't hold well with Nintendo's legacy of quality. I even had people who don't care about this stuff look at both screen types without saying anything and even they could tell a difference. IPS is the only way to go.

Femto.

I just picked up my second FE: Fates New 3DS XL and I won the Nintendo screen lottery! DOUBLE IPS Screens (3DS on the right)! 3DS on the left has an IPS on top, TN on bottom. Man the colors/blacks really pop on the IPS display.

6joxNvL.jpg
Congrats! Good to see that others than myself were able to get a dual IPS unit for the FE edition. Sad thing is I haven't played on it much other than a little bit of OoT because of Street Fighter V :p

N3DS Pokemon versions come with dual IPS too? That's rad but Nintnedo is really inconsistent with this crap. Just glad the nightmare is over for me.

m0t0k1

I did update the OP a bit thanks for all the info guys. This thread has grown to be very informative. Used some of the pictures provided by canon,bigkurz and T0wRen

Can't you just return it and try again?

How can I return an opened item?

He's trolling this thread. Don't feed the troll.

How am I trolling? I'm legitimately serious. If TN is really as bad as you all say it is, why should I even bother keeping it? I'd rather take my chances at an IPS screen.

From what we've seen in this thread and on Reddit, is it looking like dual IPS is more of an exception to the rule for the Pokemon new 3DS, or does it seem to be more common?

Bittercup

How can I return an opened item?
Depends on the store. Amazon is usually very friendly with returns. If it's an option where you bought yours it might be worth a try.
If not I doubt the difference with an IPS screen is big enough to be worth it to buy an additional 3DS just for the chance to get one.

If not I doubt the difference with an IPS screen is big enough to be worth it to buy an additional 3DS just for the chance to get one.

Have you been reading this thread lol? Apparently it's night and day.

The burning feeling in the back of my mind knowing I'm looking at an inferior screen would ruin any game for me.

I don't really agree with the "night and day" comments, lol. The difference is certainly there, but it's not nearly as big as some of you claim. Not really worth buying a new one for imo.

The TN screen doesn't look as bad as people are saying compared to IPS when looking dead on, which is how people play. Some might even prefer how it handles color saturation and brightness. Viewing angles are drastically better with IPS, but when are you going to be playing your 3DS from the side?

I don't really agree with the "night and day" comments, lol. The difference is certainly there, but it's not nearly as big as some of you claim. Not really worth buying a new one for imo.

Hmmm, now I'm not sure. Some of the side by side comparisons do look pretty "night and day"to me, especially that Monster Hunter one on the XL.

The TN screen doesn't look as bad as people are saying compared to IPS when looking dead on, which is how people play. Some might even prefer how it handles color saturation and brightness. Viewing angles are drastically better with IPS, but when are you going to be playing your 3DS from the side?

I play my 3DS flat on a table usually because of arthritis problems. Viewing angles help a lot for that. I disagree with you overall as well though. IPS just looks much more vibrant to me overall. Even from a glace, it's pretty noticeable.

Bittercup

My new 3DS arrived:
3dsetjsz.jpg

3ds478ky7.jpg

3ds6mtjsm.jpg

Not sure which type of display it is. My camera is rather old and has problems getting everything in focus, that's causing the slight blur on some parts of the images.
The display themselves look rather clear and colourful to my even with very low angles. Is this TN or IPS?

Canon

Banned
I'd say IPS, probably.

Can you take a photo of it in complete black color (with the screen still on) to see if there's any backlight bleed or IPS glow?

DeVeAn

Thanks to this thread I now know I have a shitty screen and there is nothing I can do about😩

Thanks to this thread I now know I have a shitty screen and there is nothing I can do about😩

I've been through 3 now and they've all been dual TN displays. I don't know if some of these posters have incredibly good luck or if I just have incredibly bad luck.

Pangya

I've been through 3 now and they've all been dual TN displays. I don't know if some of these posters have incredibly good luck or if I just have incredibly bad luck.

I think all the IPS screen Pokemon 3DSes are together in specific shipments/boxes, rather than being spread out randomly and mixed with shipments/boxes that contain TN panels. The reason I say this is I finally got an IPS screen 3DS, along with 3 others that were also IPS all coming in the same shipment from Walmart. I went through multiples from Target and Amazon and they were all TN. I'd say if you found a store that still has these in stock, and one of them is IPS, there's a good chance that all of them may be IPS.

I think all the IPS screen Pokemon 3DSes are together in specific shipments/boxes, rather than being spread out randomly and mixed with shipments/boxes that contain TN panels. The reason I say this is I finally got an IPS screen 3DS, along with 3 others that were also IPS all coming in the same shipment from Walmart. I went through multiples from Target and Amazon and they were all TN. I'd say if you found a store that still has these in stock, and one of them is IPS, there's a good chance that all of them may be IPS.

How do you know they were all IPS? If you have an extra, I'll buy it from you!

Mortemis

Banned
Just caved and ordered a n3ds XL. Fuck, I really shouldn't have opened this thread. Those IPS screens look great. Question, are these apparently horrid TN panels worse than the regular 3DS XL screens?

Whatever I get I'll keep, as long as it's not defective. I'll probably forget this by the time I get it.

Yrael

Question, are these apparently horrid TN panels worse than the regular 3DS XL screens?

No. My first n3DS XL had a TN top screen, and (to my eyes) it was probably slightly better than a regular 3DS XL top screen. I don't think it was horrid at all, but I still ended up preferring an IPS screen for its more vibrant colours.

Here are four 3DSes (an original, a regular n3DS, and two Majora's Mask n3DS XLs). Only one of them has an IPS top panel. It's fairly easy to spot which one it is.

Mortemis

Banned
No. My first n3DS XL had a TN top screen, and (to my eyes) it was probably slightly better than a regular 3DS XL top screen. I don't think it was horrid at all, but I still ended up preferring an IPS screen for its more vibrant colours.

Here are four 3DSes (an original, a regular n3DS, and two Majora's Mask n3DS XLs). Only one of them has an IPS top panel. It's fairly easy to spot which one it is.

Colorful yeah, seems kinda darker though. Thanks btw.

Honestly I think I'll be happy with getting a TN panel one, the pictures don't convince me enough to go and try to play the lottery.

Bittercup

I'd say IPS, probably.

Can you take a photo of it in complete black color (with the screen still on) to see if there's any backlight bleed or IPS glow?
Thank you.

Yes but my camera has problems getting a proper image of the black screens. And I didn't know how to get both screens completely black. The trick in the opening post about removing the card when booting a DS game gives me this error on the lower screen. But at least both are still on and mostly black.
That's the best I could manage. I don't see any bleeding. Maybe some glowing.
3ds7jdjyz.jpg

Seems mine is IPS top and TN bottom. You don't really use the bottom screen for anything so I'm not sure I care... Can't think of anything that uses the bottom at least.

Condom

I think I have a top IPS and bottom TN combo (launch Euro N3DSXL). Good viewing angles on the top and crappy ones on the bottom.

T0wRen

Thank you.

Yes but my camera has problems getting a proper image of the black screens. And I didn't know how to get both screens completely black. The trick in the opening post about removing the card when booting a DS game gives me this error on the lower screen. But at least both are still on and mostly black.
That's the best I could manage. I don't see any bleeding. Maybe some glowing.
3ds7jdjyz.jpg
Easiest way for me was to pull up a black background image from Google and view it on both screens, but yeah, looks like you got double IPS. CONGRATS!

Bittercup

Easiest way for me was to pull up a black background image from Google and view it on both screens, but yeah, looks like you got double IPS. CONGRATS!
Good to know. I didn't know you can do that. I hadn't much time to check out all the functionality of the 3DS so far and it's my first one.
Thank you. I'm very happy :)

So I'm comparing my both my nn3ds, one with IPS, one with TN, and I'm not really noticing a difference aside from viewing angles that one would never play at. This is going back and forth between them playing alpha sapphire. I'm sure the difference is noticeable when both playing the same game, but swapping the cart between the two doesn't really show off the difference very well.

Am I crazy for wanting to keep the TN screen version because the screen doesn't wobble while my IPS screen does wobble? (Both are the regular sized white n3ds)

After my 4th dual TN Pokemon new 3DS, I think I'll just settle for an inferior screen. Like a poster said earlier, it's probably based more on batches/shipments than retailers, so I assume my southern California area only received TN models.

Top Bottom