• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

As disappointed as I am, I'm glad they're not releasing an unfinished game or a game they're not happy with. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

What sucks most is the past few days I had been watching that day/night transition video and I was getting so hyped

That would really complicate the list wars. Gaf would implode.
That's so true

I can't get over your avatar man. It's honestly the cutest thing i've ever seen
Ty, business cat is pretty awesome.

Yes I would sacrifice res for framerate, and I can barely tell the diff on 900p upscaled to 1080p with a good scaler. 3-4 years from now we'll probably see 1080p 60 fps regularly on PS4.

sublimit

Banned
I think this game already looked great but now it will look amazing after the delay.I hope 60fps will be a given now and hopefully has no screen tearings at all.

p3tran

Banned
Ty, business cat is pretty awesome.

Yes I would sacrifice res for framerate, and I can barely tell the diff on 900p upscaled to 1080p with a good scaler.

its so awesome I might buy one set of collar and tie for my cat too :)

on the subject, i dont think anybody should be thinking about "sacrifices".
the biggest sacrifice was done, game got more time.

i think we should expect enhancements. and i think its reasonable to.

Socky

Know what? I never did play this. Loved Pacific Rift. Will I like Apocalypse too?
Personally I preferred PR, but there are some brilliant moments in Apocalypse. If you like the series you should certainly try it, especially at how cheap it will be now.

c0de

Every time I see this game it reminds me of Forza Horizon somehow. Which is definitely a good thing, though. Sad it got delayed, the other game is not a good substitution, in my opinion.

cilonen

I am willing to bet that they will never do something like that again. I am sure that they released the GT5:p only because Sony needed something (or anything) on the PS3 to help push sales forward.

There was a GT4: Prologue for Japan and the EU too though. They already established it as a way to introduce the game. I do think the 'Prologues' are becoming the GT Academy demos though.

viveks86

Oh god, that still gives me goosebumps. One of the best driving game trailers I've ever experienced.

Indeed! I'd downloaded the gamersyde video and used to play it over and over on my PS3. Still do it every now and then. Same goes with the gamescom and AMG trailers (though I still can't find an HQ download option).

PS. I think I'm firmly in the camp where I'll actually be disappointed if it's 60fps. I'd rather they add as many graphical touches as possible and keep it at 30 rather than sacrifice *anything* to make it 60. PGR4 did arcade racing perfectly at 30, no reason this couldn't.

It seems like a huge deal for a lot of gamers for next gen. I'm torn between both camps. 60 fps is definitely awesome. But I'm happy to see an arcade(ish) racer at 30. But what if we can have both face melting graphics and 60 fps? I'm not saying no to a cake with icing, if it's possible. :D

Taker34

Banned
I wouldn't bet on this. Games will become way more demanding next years and somehow you have to take the power off the console.

I doubt they would sacrifice resolution for this. Even this gen it stayed the same for almost every game and didn't went down, when games became more demanding. There are other options like adjusting AI, Physics etc.
The only series which lowered its resolution this gen was Battlefield, but you could argue that DICE isn't good at this in general... looking at BF4 which runs at the lowest next-gen resolution, atm (720p).

c0de

I doubt they would sacrifice resolution for this. Even this gen it stayed the same for almost every game and didn't went down, when games became more demanding. There are other options like adjusting AI, Physics etc.
The only series which lowered its resolution this gen was Battlefield, but you could argue that DICE isn't good at this in general... looking at BF4 which runs at the lowest next-gen resolution, atm (720p).

That is why I replied to him because he said 1080p60. Hint: This doesn't mean only res...

Shaneus

It seems like a huge deal for a lot of gamers for next gen. I'm torn between both camps. 60 fps is definitely awesome. But I'm happy to see an arcade(ish) racer at 30. But what if we can have both face melting graphics and 60 fps? I'm not saying no to a cake with icing, if it's possible. :D
Bigger cake with no icing, or smaller cake with icing? Personally I'd prefer the more delicious one, even if it is a little smaller. At least at the end, I won't be thinking "Man that was delicious, but I wish it had..." ;)

orioto

Good Art™
Actually.. This whole 900p drama is interesting. You could think, it wouldn't be that bad in some way. The loss in resolution is not noticeable, so people will cry about the upscaling and iq softening..

But, i'm pretty certain there is no such a thing as pixel perfect 1080p for a next gen game. Cause you have motion blur, AA, post processing effects... Pixel are altered in tons of way, that you want it or not. So does 900p actually lower the IQ.. really .. ?

velociraptor

Actually.. This whole 900p drama is interesting. You could think, it wouldn't be that bad in some way. The loss in resolution is not noticeable, so people will cry about the upscaling and iq softening..

But, i'm pretty certain there is no such a thing as pixel perfect 1080p for a next gen game. Cause you have motion blur, AA, post processing effects... Pixel are altered in tons of way, that you want it or not. So does 900p actually lower the IQ.. really .. ?
Yes, 900p lowers the IQ. 1080p is always superior to 900p - this is an objective fact.

I would rather a game artificially create a soft look through clever processing than to lower the resolution. The latter almost always looks worse. The lower resolution brings problems in itself - poorer texture resolution, jaggies, shimmering and the overall quality of the image is hurt as everything is stretched to your 1080p display.

Now it may well be that lowering the resolution is worth the trade off in some games, especially if you can't really tell the difference. Apparently Ryse were able to lower the res to 900p and nobody could tell a difference. But in a game where there is a lot of visual information, every pixel counts. Games such as BF3 and BF4 look atrocious at anything below 1080p. The difference is exceptionally clear.

IMO there's no way even cutting to 900p would allow for 60fps.. maybe 45 fps. More cuts would have to be made, and I don't think it's worth it.

However 900p for a locked 30 fps with sweet motion blur and post processing effects to get it looking like the E3 trailer.. I like.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
actually yeah haha, forgot about that... I think it was suppose to launch with the PS3, but then got pushed back to March of the next year.... BUT that announcement didn't come one month before launch, like say DriveClub.....also we had a kick ass demo that I played over and over and over to hold us through.

also I hope that DriveClub isn't releasing in March... hoping for January. :D
Also, keep in mind that Motorstorm WAS released in Japan in December of 2006. It did not include any sort of online play, however, and felt very stripped down.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
IMO there's no way even cutting to 900p would allow for 60fps.. maybe 45 fps. More cuts would have to be made, and I don't think it's worth it.

However 900p for a locked 30 fps with sweet motion blur and post processing effects to get it looking like the E3 trailer.. I like.
More cuts would have to be made? How exactly do you know this again? You're making a lot of assumptions.

There's no way for us to realistically know what kind of performance they are getting with the framerate unlocked.

quetz67

Banned
Yes, 900p lowers the IQ. 1080p is always superior to 900p - this is an objective fact.

This only a fact if you say IQ = maximum sharpness.

For most people a nice antialised 900p picture (maybe with added effects/shaders) looks much better than a badly aliased 1080p image.

And many people which sit at a typical distance from their TVs of like 10ft won't even notice the difference. So it makes perfect sense not to take the IQ whores as standard but deliver the best overall frame rate/detail/resolution combination for a huge majority.

velociraptor

This only a fact if you say IQ = maximum sharpness.

For most people a nice antialised 900p picture (maybe with added effects/shaders) looks much better than a badly aliased 1080p image.

And many people which sit at a typical distance from their TVs of like 10ft won't even notice the difference. So it makes perfect sense not to take the IQ whores as standard but deliver the best overall frame rate/detail/resolution combination for a huge majority.
That is true. However, I still maintain native resolution is king - a nice antialiased 1080p picture with added effects/shaders > 900p with the same.

If they can get a 900p game with nice detail and IQ, then sure, it probably doesn't matter. However, if I play a game and it's glaringly obvious that the game is running at sub-HD, then clearly something is very, very wrong.

I would rather play a game with better IQ than a game with poor IQ and effects cranked to the hundredth degree. There is a reason why games such as Metal Gear Solid 2 still look so good despite being more than 10 years old. Having said that, Ryse is running at 900p but it looks gorgeous. If devs can replicate those graphics and image quality, then great!

Taker34

Banned
Hmm. Don't know but there are not a lot of series that run on 60, so...Instantly, only COD and Forza come to my mind.
My point is there are games like CoD which always ran with 60fps, since CoD4 or even earlier... and now look at MW3 or BO2 which run at the same resolution/fps but they look a lot better. They improved the engine, graphics etc. and didn't have to compromise anything.

Ratchet and Clank.
Tony Hawk.

Stop it! It's not like the latest sequels look so stunning that they had to do 30fps. I have to admit that I didn't knew that R&C even ran at 60fps...

velociraptor

GT5 (sometimes in the same race).
GT5 ran at 30FPS? News to me. Digital Foundry's framerate analysis shows GT5 runs at 60FPS 99% of the time, with minor drops to 54, 56 or 58 fps (immediately shoots back up to 60, mind you). GT5's average framerate is 60FPS.

Iacobellis

I'd prefer 1080p at 30FPS. I've played enough non-60FPS racers to get used to it. Driveclub could end up looking like an extraordinarily beautiful game.

Shaneus

Average framerate of 60fps? So to make up for the dips below there were parts that ran higher than 60?

Regardless, I still think I'd be disappointed with 60 for DC, especially if there's a notable difference in fidelity b/w what we've seen so far and the end product.

PS. PGR was a series that had both 60/30fps games in the same series, with the first being 60 and the others being 30. I have a hunch RSC went the other way though, with the first being 30 and the second being 60 (in-game).

ShapeGSX

Personally I preferred PR, but there are some brilliant moments in Apocalypse. If you like the series you should certainly try it, especially at how cheap it will be now.

Apocalypse got ridiculously difficult at some point in the campaign. Totally not fun after that.

do we know how many cars can be on the track

since your club you make is a max of 12 people, would you be able to have a full club vs club showdown?

BeeDog

Apocalypse got ridiculously difficult at some point in the campaign. Totally not fun after that.

Huh? The Apocalypse campaign was quite easy throughout. Sure you're not confusing it with the Pacific Rift campaign? Now that campaign was unbelievable due to the rubber-banding.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Alright, but is there any 60fps (console) series which ran at 30fps later on?

Battlefield 5

tumblr_macls9OYJI1rqc6td.jpg

ShapeGSX

Huh? The Apocalypse campaign was quite easy throughout. Sure you're not confusing it with the Pacific Rift campaign? Now that campaign was unbelievable due to the rubber-banding.

Hmm, maybe. Whichever one it was, I did not enjoy it after that point.

every time i see this thread up i come here thinking there are new info /pics.

stahp playin with ma heart :(

we are just strengthening your heart for the struggles ahead, you must endure until this game reaches full maturity
---------------------------------
I'm seeing alot of people wishing for 60fps and some for weather effects....

which one do you guys wish for more if you could only have one?

Still finished it with complete gold medals though. :)
The first one also had a few races which were unbelievably hard.

Top Bottom