• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

Gestault

I still don't get all the Forza bring-ups. What little footage we've seen of Forza looks like boiled buttholes compared to this game. Admittedly, I love the aliasing teardown on gaf.

Gaf -> Whole image looks just awful, needs aliasing, white lines *barf*
-> Improved
Gaf -> OH MY GOD THE LINES ON THE REAR WINDOW
-> Improve
Gaf -> ALIASING ON THE SIDE MIRRORS OH GOD VOMIT
-> Improve
Gaf -> OH DEAR GOD THE DIAL ON THE SPEEDOMETER HAS JAGGIES, GOD FORZA IS AMAZING
-> "Sorry guys, we got nothin"

Hyperbole aside lol, the Gamersyde video is too massive to download at work lol, bunch of bandwidth whiners here. I expect some lovely Gifs, please don't disappoint :p

Also I think it's totally awesome that they addressed the fanbase in such a way, very cool. I think they definitely need a behind the scenes video.

Obvious aliasing in any part of the image is distracting, which is why people are pointing it out. The Horizon comparison is due to a very similar art-style and setting, and Horizon being a previous-gen game known for good image quality in an open-world racing title, in addition to good visuals. This game (which is beautiful already) really does need to stand out even more from that for a lot of people, because it's emblematic of the next generation.

The comparisons to Forza 5 are because they're parallel launch titles on next-gen platforms. I don't know that I could get behind the "boiled buttholes" assessment with what I've seen, but I at least appreciate the alliteration. I feel like your reaction to another good-looking racing title with every expectation of quality shows you understand very well why people are bringing it up, but from a different perspective.

So the place was Chile... Lovely lighting and reflections by the way
Edit: watched the Gamersyde ver. Oh Gawd!! The pavement the hhhnnnggg!!!!!

chadskin

Man, that looks bloody fantastic. And the next-gen is only just about to begin.

PS3 launch title:

Ridge_Racer_7__2.jpg

PS3 (near) end of cycle:

Can't wait for the end of the PS4 cycle!

Obvious aliasing in any part of the image is distracting, which is why people are pointing it out. The Horizon comparison is due to a very similar art-style and setting, and Horizon being a previous-gen game known for good image quality in an open-world racing title, in addition to good visuals. This game (which is beautiful already) really does need to stand out even more from that for a lot of people, because it's emblematic of the next generation.

The comparisons to Forza 5 are because they're parallel launch titles on next-gen platforms. I don't know that I could get behind the "boiled buttholes" assessment with what I've seen, but I at least appreciate the alliteration. I feel like your reaction to another good-looking racing title with every expectation of quality shows you understand very well why people are bringing it up, but from a different perspective.

Oh I agree with all your points, I was just inflating my comment for pointless effect lol. I just get annoyed by the hit an run comments that don't really mean anything. It's exactly what the above poster stated, we've seen to little of Forza to even know any different. I get that they're both launch titles and what-not but it seems totally random lol. I haven't been in many Forza threads so I couldn't tell you if it was anywhere near as rampant, but man I've seen it brought up so many times in these Driveclub threads.

Gaf -> Whole image looks just awful, needs aliasing, white lines *barf*
-> Improved
Gaf -> OH MY GOD THE LINES ON THE REAR WINDOW
-> Improve
Gaf -> ALIASING ON THE SIDE MIRRORS OH GOD VOMIT
-> Improve
Gaf -> OH DEAR GOD THE DIAL ON THE SPEEDOMETER HAS JAGGIES, GOD FORZA IS AMAZING
-> "Sorry guys, we got nothin"

that in fact is awesome.

i usually dont preorder games. but im kinda glad i shoved my money in upfront with this one.

kudos evo.

BeeDog

Anyway, some brief comments on the new video:

- Fantastic day-to-night transition. The dynamic lighting is doing wonders.
- The jaggies on the car and the pop-in is distracting, I really hope Evo manages to sort it out as much as humanly possible. I share some of the concerns that they won't have enough time to fix everything...
- The sound of the car is nice, but could be a bit beefier.
- The track detail is absolutely amazing, goddamn. Probably the best I've seen in a racing game yet.
- I'm concerned that they still haven't shown any races with other cars. A valid guess would be that the framerate simply doesn't hold up.

Still, super-hyped for this, I've loved all of their MS games for the PS3 so they've earned my trust.

DBT85

Looking better and better. Can't wait to be the worst driver on GAF's DriveClub team.

I think you'll have some competition for that title my friend.

Watched the vid, looks great. Hopefully we get another before long with another list like in that blog post!

If you are reading Rushy or people at Evo or any other devs, I LIKE that we are getting direct feed, and in high quality to boot, I LIKE that we are being told about what is still being fixed, what oddities to look out for in the video etc.

More of you should do this.

Phil4000

Looks pretty good overall aside from the aliasing on the car, I just hope the actual gameplay is fun.
Out of all the racing games coming out this fall for next gen (Forza 5, Need for Speed Rivals, Driveclub) this game looks the least interesting of the bunch IMO...

The lighting transition is really nice and clean, this is how it should be done.

Hope the sound gets improved a bit and they manage to get it at 60fps. I'm not a fan of the pop in either but it's not that bad that I'll notice it whilst speeding along.

This will keep me busy for a good while, I recon we'll be able to remove the HUD from normal racing as well, as I like the clean look.

Horp

Lighting is cool but MAN those jaggies. Can't they even throw some muddy basic FXAA on it or something? Geez.

thuway

How can anyone argue this isn't the best looking racer on consoles? :/

Point blank question to Rushy: Will AA improve by launch?

I think they want to emphasize the social features more than the obvious race against people features. Almost every racing game will have actual racing at some point, that's nothing new, but the competing with your friends at all times even if they're not online seems to be Evolutions baby at the moment, which is why I think they're giving it extra attention.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
That gamersyde video.. I'm impressed. In all likelihood this will be the first game I play on my PS4. I'm not buying any retail games at launch and will play the PS+ version. Gonna be great!

DBT85

4. The video was captured in one take from a version of the game still in development. Optimisations to the visual quality of the game are made every day, so while there are lots of impressive details on show you may also spot some things we’re still working on – like improving the anti-aliasing for certain assets and making sure that nothing pops in to view.

S'in the OP

My question, was it captured using the PS4s share thing, or by recording the HDMI out?

Flai

Man, that looks bloody fantastic. And the next-gen is only just about to begin.

PS3 launch title:

PS3 (near) end of cycle:

Can't wait for the end of the PS4 cycle!

It's not quite that simple. PS3 was infinitely harder to program for than PS4 and besides, I'd say that the technology (not hardware-wise, but software-wise) of the 2006 vs 2013 was a lot bigger leap than what 2013 vs ~2020 will be. Of course this is just a guess (and not even really educated one :)).

AutumnRay

Banned

Yes, the game is looking great but I think all this needs to be at least asked. Does the AA on cars specifically have to be like that? Is there not anything that can be done with this renderer in that instance?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
My question, was it captured using the PS4s share thing, or by recording the HDMI out?

I can reply to that one, it's absolutely and definitely an HDMI capture (or something the dev kits have, but I don't think so).
No way in hell there is ever going to be anything remotely that quality coming from both the PS4 and XB1 internel capture systems.
Uh servers are hammered. I tried to download it like 5 times. Gotta wait.

What exactly happens? It doesn't start at all, or it starts and then stops after a while?

Kind of amazing that half the people in this thread don't seem to know what optimization is, or when it generally happens during the development cycle.

DBT85

I can reply to that one, it's absolutely and definitely an HDMI capture (or something the dev kits have, but I don't think so).
No way in hell there is ever going to be anything remotely that quality coming from both the PS4 and XB1 internel capture systems.

Fair enough :)

Putty

Haters gonna hate!

Downloading now...but images look terrific. Improvements from latest vids look quite obvious based on the images. And the things to note list was great!...another 4 to 6 weeks of further fixes and improvements should really push this to the top of the pile in terms of gfx. My only concern, as others have pointed out, is a lack of any footage with other racers on track. Must be running like dogsh!t with a full field of cars. But i remain hopeful. Its Evo afterall and they get better the closer to release a title gets.

AA is still being worked on as stated in the blog post... Just some people... myself included will be eating some crow now

I shall gladly eat my crow I just want to know what spices would work well with it... Probably salt

Perkel

Banned

What exactly happens? It doesn't start at all, or it starts and then stops after a while?

I doubt we will have option to capture native 1080p. 720p compressed on fly.

Yes, the game is looking great but I think all this needs to be at least asked. Does the AA on cars specifically have to be like that? Is there not anything that can be done with this renderer in that instance?

They mention aliasing specifically in the points in the OP:

4. The video was captured in one take from a version of the game still in development. Optimisations to the visual quality of the game are made every day, so while there are lots of impressive details on show you may also spot some things we’re still working on – like improving the anti-aliasing for certain assets and making sure that nothing pops in to view.

7. All lights illuminate the environment authentically. The dashboard fully illuminates, so you can see the glow of the buttons in the control panel above the rear-view mirror and you can see the reflections in the windscreen and the driver’s window. Similarly, you’ll notice that the brake light illuminates the car’s active spoiler in the first two laps. Hopefully this will draw your eye away from the glitch with the car’s tyre smoke (which is missing) and excessive anti-aliasing on the Audi’s bevelled rear window frame… which we are of course still developing.

It's not, especially if your asking the question about AA. I'm not confident that the tech of the game will improve too much as they are trying to throw everything at it, it seems. But saying that, they have come a long way in a short period of time from the first showing.

Forgot to say thanks to Blim for video too :)

Top Bottom