• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

Assuming I can join the club with the PS+ edition, I'll be right there along side you failing.
Now, DriveClub GAF's operation is small but there is a lot of potential for ‘aggressive’ expansion. So which one of you fine gentlemen would like to join our team?

Oh, there’s only one spot open right now so we’re gonna have… tryouts.

ihauhbuzMoubg.gif

Make it fast.

Isn't the club size something tiny in this game - like 12 members max? There will be blood.

Hollow

I had to watch the video on my TV to get a good example of how the game will look.
Aside from some pop-in it will look just fine.

Watching the sun go down and the headlights turn on was magic.

Im at work (Why was it out right when i left home lol) so i can't experience this on my TV D:

ETA on when we actually get to see the in-game menus? i always love those.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looking better but some textures look bland.

Motion blur is still poor quality; really needs improving as it's ruining the look of the game.

Anti-aliasing is better.

Engine does not sound great, sounds too tinny.

Lighting is nice.

A definite improvement. Hope they can nail 60 fps.

Damaniel

Banned
iTwPRBW6u55l3.gif

Gross pop-in on that sign on the right.

Well, that's that. PS4 preorder cancelled - I'm gonna get another Ouya instead.

I know that nitpicking minor details is standard procedure for games, but at least the developers have the confidence to feed us a continuous stream of direct feed (non-bullshot) footage from an in-development game. I'm liking what I've seen so far, even if it's *only* 30fps and (supposedly) full of terrible graphical glitches. I also like that the devs are acknowledging the warts, bugs, and limitations of their game; they're doing a good job of demonstrating that they care about their product and they all seem to enjoy working on it.

Game is coming along rather nicely. It's come quite the way since E3.

I know that nitpicking minor details is standard procedure for games, but at least the developers have the confidence to feed us a continuous stream of direct feed (non-bullshot) footage from an in-development game. I'm liking what I've seen so far, even if it's *only* 30fps and (supposedly) full of terrible graphical glitches. I also like that the devs are acknowledging the warts, bugs, and limitations of their game; they're doing a good job of demonstrating that they care about their product and they all seem to enjoy working on it.

Couldn't agree more. I'm not as excited about this game as I am a few others, but at least they're giving people something to hold them over till release. I'd kill to get some high quality direct feed footage of some of the games I'm looking forward to. .

HORRORSHØW

Now, DriveClub GAF's operation is small but there is a lot of potential for ‘aggressive’ expansion. So which one of you fine gentlemen would like to join our team?

Oh, there’s only one spot open right now so we’re gonna have… tryouts.

ihauhbuzMoubg.gif

Make it fast.

Isn't the club size something tiny in this game - like 12 members max? There will be blood.
First rule of GAF Driveclub is you don't talk about GAF Driveclub.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Looks fantastic, but the car audio is horrible, like I said in the other thread :/

6. The way that we have captured each car’s distinctive audio is evident here because we’ve disabled the in-game soundtrack music, but we’ve actually just made further improvements to the quality of the audio in the game today (and fixed the backfire so that you can hear it properly on the Audi R8 V10 Plus), so it’s still getting better.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
2 things.

1. When are they going to sort out the jaggies.
2. On the youtube vid. I can see something that looks like micro stutter.

7. All lights illuminate the environment authentically. The dashboard fully illuminates, so you can see the glow of the buttons in the control panel above the rear-view mirror and you can see the reflections in the windscreen and the driver’s window. Similarly, you’ll notice that the brake light illuminates the car’s active spoiler in the first two laps. Hopefully this will draw your eye away from the glitch with the car’s tyre smoke (which is missing) and excessive anti-aliasing on the Audi’s bevelled rear window frame… which we are of course still developing.

Theecliff

Banned
Anyone else notice the dashboard being reflected in the top left-hand window at night? I literally spent half the video looking at that, freaking beautiful.

A few jaggies and a lot of pop-in in that video though. Good to know they're working on getting that fixed, hopefully it's all sorted by launch. The beginning of the video was especially bad in those areas.

Aesthet1c

Honestly after watching the 1080p footage, I'm a little underwhelmed.

I mean, it looks good, but not much of a step up from current gen racing games. I'm still excited to play it, because Evolution makes great games, but I really hope they can improve the image quality by launch.

I really just hope they can fix the aliasing, that's probably my biggest gripe.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Does anyone find the fact that they are pointing out graphical and sound glitches and tiny portals "to another dimension" a really refreshing attitude to demonstrating a game?

Yes, I hope all 1st party devs adopt this open way of talking. It would go a long way in improving relations with their fans (although Sony's doing a remarkable job already)

GameSeeker

Thank you to Rushy for the video and the excellent blog post. I, and others, really appreciate Evolution taking the time to communicate to their customers. Thank you also to BlimBlim for the high quality version of the video.

In typical Evolution tradition, Driveclub is coming to together very nicely near the very end of development. I love it when a plan comes together. ;)

The improvements from the E3 build, to the Gamescom build, to the current WIP build are dramatic and very noticeable to anyone who has been following the game.

A few comments:
1) The tracks have come along nicely. The original E3 demo had a fairly sparse track that didn't impress. Both the Gamescom track and the night race track impress with lots of trackside eyecandy. Excellent work!
2) The dynamic lighting continues to impress. Being able to show morning-afternoon-evening-night time transitions clearly show how the character of the track changes with the changing sun. Night time racing is a completely different experience than daytime racing.
3) Adding in an AA solution did wonders for the image quality. Hopefully Evolution is still working on improving the AA before launch, as I'm a believer that good AA is vital to overall image quality and the PS4 has the horsepower to do excellent post-processing AA.
4) The motion blur is a nice touch and adds to the feel of speed, but it still seem to be a little "off". I'm sure that it still being fine tuned.

Again, congratulations to Evolution on excellent progress! I look forward to seeing more update videos as we get closer to Gold Master. With continued progress, Driveclub has a very strong chance of being the most beautiful and technically advanced of the 3 launch racing games.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Hope they do something about that aliasing, it's incredibly distracting.

7. All lights illuminate the environment authentically. The dashboard fully illuminates, so you can see the glow of the buttons in the control panel above the rear-view mirror and you can see the reflections in the windscreen and the driver’s window. Similarly, you’ll notice that the brake light illuminates the car’s active spoiler in the first two laps. Hopefully this will draw your eye away from the glitch with the car’s tyre smoke (which is missing) and excessive anti-aliasing on the Audi’s bevelled rear window frame… which we are of course still developing.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
AA is better, but still not where it needs to be.

Loving the fact it's getting that sense of scene and atmosphere nailed down so perfectly. I haven't played a racing game that made me really feel I was "there" since Hot Pursuit 2 on PS2, so that's saying a lot. Great sense of atmosphere that game had.

I'd pick this up w/ a PS4 sure thing.

Yeah the bitching over little stuff gets really annoying really fast; these Evolution guys are actually working on the game and are more than aware what needs to get done. Don't need people on forums telling them so, trying to be the next Captain Obvious.

It's not bad to point a little thing out here and there, but at least be constructive about it and throw in mention of stuff you do like, at the very least.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Good to hear and thank you for the response. Are you still going to try to target 60fps or is that stretch goal not realistically achievable in the timeframe left.

Jachaos

Conflicting feelings about what I've learned about DriveClub today. This footage is really beautiful and I'm happy they're working on the aliasing for some places that need it and the pop-ins, but I'm disapointed there won't be any split-screen.

It's sad. I have a feeling this game will get way more criticism and over analysis than any other, just because the developers have been so actively involved with the forum community. Now people will be nit picking every single little thing and the game will never be perfect so it's a lose / lose situation for Evolution.

It looks pretty great to me as is.

I do think they hurt themselves with the initial trailer as the game (outside of maybe replay mode) will never look that good... Prove me wrong Evolution!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Good to hear and thank you for the response. Are you still going to try to target 60fps or is that stretch goal not realistically achievable in the timeframe left.

'you'? I'm just a bod posting on Gaf! They're still talking about targeting 60fps but I've got a feeling they'll settle for 30fps to make sure there's no ugly pop ins of things like 'grit' or aliasing on a spectators 'glasses' :)

amar212

Rushy :)

Will there be support for head-tracking in cockpit view with new PS4 Camera?

Also, will DriveClub support triple-screen setup for those lucky enough to have 3 consoles and corresponding screens?

Of course, usual question about support for the PS3-legacy wheels as well?

:)

VanWinkle

I do think they hurt themselves with the initial trailer as the game (outside of maybe replay mode) will never look that good... Prove me wrong Evolution!

Actually, I don't know. I think this newest video, besides the aliasing on the car, looks really close to that reveal stuff.

Man, this game looks absolutely amazing. The lighting is crazy good. And this game has the best environments of any racing game.

I'm glad things like 30fps and a little bit of aliasing don't bother me. As long as the game is fun and plays great, I'm good. If it wasn't for people pointing these things out, I'd never notice them, and sometimes even after they are pointed out I don't notice, especially in video form.

Nothing at all wrong with criticizing things, but I think sometimes people are worried about the wrong things when it comes to games, and/or always looking for something to complain about instead of just enjoying the games.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
'you'? I'm just a bod posting on Gaf! They're still talking about targeting 60fps but I've got a feeling they'll settle for 30fps to make sure there's no ugly pop ins of things like 'grit' or aliasing on a spectators 'glasses' :)

Impersonating a dev. And I fell for it :p

Man, this game looks absolutely amazing. The lighting is crazy good. And this game has the best environments of any racing game.

I'm glad things like 30fps and a little bit of aliasing don't bother me. As long as the game is fun and plays great, I'm good. If it wasn't for people pointing these things out, I'd never notice them, and sometimes even after they are pointed out I don't notice, especially in video form.

Nothing at all wrong with criticizing things, but I think sometimes people are worried about the wrong things when it comes to games, and/or always looking for something to complain about instead of just enjoying the games.

Well the cool thing is, there's a ton of people that cant' seem to tell if this is 30 Frames or not, so the fact that they even have to double check bodes well. I've insisted for an eternity that a locked 30 is more than fine for practically any game, and in it's current build Driveclub proves that just fine. Your ability to drive a car at 150+ MPH won't change because you double the framerate, it's a visual smoothness preference.

Top Bottom