• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fatal Frame game announced for Wii U

duckroll

I really don't think it is. Last year I made this post:

Yeah Nintendo clearly did not buy the IP from Tecmo Koei, if they did we would know by now and the copyrights would be pretty telling. What I think is much more likely is that Nintendo is the only first party interested in co-producing games in the franchise, has good working relationship with the director/producers of the series on the Tecmo Koei side, and most important of all - the Tecmo Koei management isn't particularly interested in investing much into development for the franchise. It's a pretty probable scenario, given how the games sell jack shit.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I always thought the gamepad would be perfect as a camera obscura.

JoeFenix

Very cool, played through Fatal Frame earlier this year and this is a franchise where the Wii U Gamepad seems like such a perfect fit.

Hopefully they release it in NA, their track record is not exactly encouraging but the Wii U needs all the software it can get at this point. Hard to imagine they would pass this up but it's Nintendo, so who the fuck knows....

Such a weird franchise to go exclusive, but this is awesome! The Wii U is the best place this franchise could end up.

Edit: Reeeeeally wish ZombiU would get a similar treatment from Nintendo. ZombiU: Edinburgh needs to happen.

I am glad to see the first ambitions of nintendo to cross promote their stuff. Iwata mentioned it in the briefing to use their money and franchises outside of just gaming to promote them more. I guess with the increased cost of HD development an extra million or two going into a movie or a tv series won´t hurt.

This isn't in the vein of Bayo2 at all. Nintendo getting a Fatal Frame exclusive is pretty much a given at this point.

It depends on the context of what he meant. It's KINDA like Bayo 2 where it's a 3rd-party JP exclusive published by Nintendo, it's just not out of the blue like Bayo 2 was.

duckroll

I am glad to see the first ambitions of nintendo to cross promote their stuff. Iwata mentioned it in the briefing to use their money and franchises outside of just gaming to promote them more. I guess with the increased cost of HD development an extra million or two going into a movie or a tv series won´t hurt.

I... don't think the other stuff have anything to do with Nintendo. It's basically a licensing move from Kadokawa. They're publishing a novel, a comic, and releasing a movie based on said novel. All Kadokawa.

Riki

Japan Trends
· Change

時間回復
#TohoTreeTour
#ノンストップ
WiiU
仲良くしてください
今起きた
お腹すいた

Hopefully they release it in NA, their track record is not exactly encouraging but the Wii U needs all the software it can get at this point. Hard to imagine they would pass this up but it's Nintendo, who the fuck knows....

I was going to say something along the lines of, "The only way it wouldn't happen is if both companies were run by morons" but then, you know, I remembered things.

:|

This needs to get a worldwide release.

26494072_cry_gif.gif

I still can't get over the news, and seriously can't even bring myself to imagine a reality where this isn't ported over.

I... don't think the other stuff have anything to do with Nintendo. It's basically a licensing move from Kadokawa. They're publishing a novel, a comic, and releasing a movie based on said novel. All Kadokawa.

I would be truly surprised if Nintendo wasn´t involved to at least some degree.

Endo Punk

When Nintendo first showed the gamepad the first game that came to my mind id Fatal Frame. I'm surprised it took them this long to announce a game for it.

Takao

Banned
Probably because Nintendo's been really keen on the franchise for years now. They published Project Zero 4 in Japan, Project Zero 2's remake in Japan and Europe, and helped with the Spirit Camera spin-off for 3DS.

I don't think Tecmo Koei could risk doing it alone these days.

This is the same company that released Deception IV in 2014.

What a joke. Especially when this is one game that could fit the Wii U better than any other console right now.

Like Outlast, but Wii U don't have Outlast right now.

The point is, i like Fatal Frame but Wii U not much (maybe after Smash Bros i will consider my position), so, i don't want buy a console for a single digit of games.

Scher

I'm fluent enough to understand/read it in Japanese, but it occurs to me that I would need a Japanese console, wouldn't I? In which case, double fuck.

I wouldn't really doubt the possibility of it getting a release outside Japan. Nintendo seems to have gotten a little more active in trying to get games released in the US, lately. I'm willing to hold out hope of there being a possible English release or something, considering we have gotten MH3U, Bravely Default, and are now going to get MH4U for 3DS, all of which seemed to be fairly ignored by their developers when it came to localisations.

I wouldn't really doubt the possibility of it getting a release outside Japan. Nintendo seems to have gotten a little more active in trying to get games released in the US, lately. I'm willing to hold out hope of there being a possible English release or something, considering we have gotten MH3U, Bravely Default, and are now going to get MH4U for 3DS, all of which seemed to be fairly ignored by their developers when it came to localisations.

Well, the great part is it's not like I have to buy a console now. I can just wait until there is or isn't any news about a localization then decide whether I want to get a Japanese region wii u. So either way, I guess.

Gameboy415

Awesome, AWESOME news! :D

I really hope this one gets localized, otherwise it looks like I might be importing a Japanese Wii U...

About time. It's such an obvious game choice considering the Wii U's mechanic.

Now they just need to make damn sure it gets localized...

Barakov

Gold Member
It's good that they announced a new one but I'll get excited once we know for sure it's coming westward.

kaioshade

The last two Fatal Frame games for nintendo consoles (not counting spirit camera) did not get released outside of japan. i dont hold much hope for this one.

Ridley327

Logic would dictate that NoA would have no choice but to bring the game over here to fill in empty slots, but after all this time, I'm not holding my breath.

But I'll cross my fingers!

The last two Fatal Frame games for nintendo consoles (not counting spirit camera) did not get released outside of japan. i dont hold much hope for this one.

The Fatal Frame 2 remake made it to Europe.

Top Bottom