• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lossless Scaling 2.9 update introduces 3x Frame Interpolation

MaKTaiL

header.jpg

Introducing the X3 frame generation mode. LSFG 2.1 can now generate two intermediate frames, effectively tripling the framerate.

X3 has increased GPU load by approximately 1.7 times compared to X2 mode. At the same time, LSFG 2.1 Performance and LSFG 1.1 have been optimized to be 20% faster in X2 mode compared to the previous version.

It has been tested that X3 mode does not cause any additional latency compared to X2. Latency is affected by the base framerate and when the GPU is fully utilized. For the best experience in both image smoothness and latency, it is recommended to lock the game framerate at 1/3 of the monitor's refresh rate in X3 mode.

Before:

After:

Last edited:

sendit

Awesome tech, but it is significantly worse than FSR3s FG (not to mention Nvidia's Frame Generation):

Last edited:

SNG32

Awesome tech, but it is significantly worse than FSR3s FG (not to mention Nvidia's Frame Generation):

That was 4 months ago. It’s improved quite a bit since then and especially with this update. It works good if your frames are 30 fps and up. I wouldn’t advise it if you’re getting lower than 30 in a game.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Even if most wont end up using it in many new games since they have proper frame gen, its very useful for emulators and other stuff, too bad many older games use exclusive fullscreen.

Craziest thing is that 3x FG works on video too, just tried it in MPC-HC and even a web browser to watch youtube and it looks pretty good unlike what tvs have (not as good as topaz, but its real time)
Now i just need a 4k180hz TV so i can watch stuff at fake 4k (RTX video) and fake 180fps with lossless scaling though my fake eyes

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

That's a pretty old video. Since then LSFG started using DXGI capture and has much more stable framerates and also the interpolation tech has been improved.

Hugare

Man, I've seen the light

Tested it on Cyberpunk, Hellblade II, Baldur's Gate 3, and its game changing. BG 3 in particular looked smooth. Like, goddamn.

It essentially doubles your FPS and doesnt add nothing in terms of input latency. Not only that, but seems to fix framepacing issues.

The guy who made this is a genius.

Im using 2x thom 3x seems to introduce way too much artifacting.

Also, disable performance mode for better results

SNG32

Even if most wont end up using it in many new games since they have proper frame gen, its very useful for emulators and other stuff, too bad many older games use exclusive fullscreen.

Craziest thing is that 3x FG works on video too, just tried it in MPC-HC and even a web browser to watch youtube and it looks pretty good unlike what tvs have (not as good as topaz, but its real time)
Now i just need a 4k180hz TV so i can watch stuff at fake 4k (RTX video) and fake 180fps with lossless scaling though my fake eyes
It works amazing on Rpcs3. Playing Soul Calibur 5 at over 100 fps is buttery smooth.

THE DUCK

Banned

How do you enable it to work in MPC-HC?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out, just start the program, hit the scale button and then the mpc window. (after turning on frame generation of course)
Works really well with mpc.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
This seems great for those weird games still at 30 fps on PC, like some old Japanese ports, Tales of Zestiria and Killer Is Dead comes to mind, tho that last one was basically sorcery for me because it was smooth and responsive, i just realized it was 30 fps because of the small counter in the corner.

Some old games, specially emulated ones, break their logic if you increase the fps, this is great for those cases.

Also most western games have so much input lag anyway (100+ms) that the added on top feels like nothing in the end.

MaKTaiL

This seems great for those weird games still at 30 fps on PC, like some old Japanese ports, Tales of Zestiria and Killer Is Dead comes to mind, tho that last one was basically sorcery for me because it was smooth and responsive, i just realized it was 30 fps because of the small counter in the corner.

Some old games, specially emulated ones, break their logic if you increase the fps, this is great for those cases.

Also most western games have so much input lag anyway (100+ms) that the added on top feels like nothing in the end.
Skyrim is one game I know that breaks logic if you push above the 60fps barrier. 3x Framegen will allow it to reach up to 180fps without breaking which is awesome.

MaKTaiL

To me the first video looks choppy and bad (like its running at 20fps), but the 40 to 120 looks great.
OBS bitrate was not correct when I recorded it and maybe I pushed too hard on my system trying to record and play it at the same time with path tracing. On my end it felt great.

I'll try to re-record tomorrow. Like I said in the video this was just for testing purposes. I wanted to stress test with 20 -> 60 to see how LSFG would handle it. But I assure you 30 -> 90 is REALLY GOOD. Basically any frames equal or higher than 30 fps wield great results.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
OBS bitrate was not correct when I recorded it and maybe I pushed too hard on my system trying to record and play it at the same time with path tracing. On my end it felt great.

I'll try to re-record tomorrow. Like I said in the video this was just for testing purposes. I wanted to stress test with 20 -> 60 to see how LSFG would handle it. But I assure you 30 -> 90 is REALLY GOOD. Basically any frames equal or higher than 30 fps wield great results.

Interesting, I paid for it tonight, will try some games soon. 😀

MaKTaiL

Interesting, I paid for it tonight, will try some games soon. 😀
I have a 160hz screen and I've been testing a lot of games going from 53 -> 159 and honestly it feels exactly like native 160fps. The added bonus of lowering GPU usage and temps while boosting higher FPS than if I had it turned off. Win-win.

Let me know it worked for you. By the way, feel free to join the official Discord if you need any advices or tips on how to use it:

Last edited:

hinch7

Tried this on GoT and its astonishingly good. Was getting around 80fps as base which is exactly 1/3 frames needed to get 240fps (with FG with x3) to match the refresh rate of my monitor. Hardly added any perceivable input lag and less than both AMD's and Nvidia's frame gen. While looking way smoother. This is like black magic, assuming you hit the right criteria.

Shtef

Gold Member
I don't understand, will this allow me to play elden ring at 120hz without breaking physics?

Last edited:
Never heard of this, but interesting that someone bothered to compete with the official solutions. Having then sometimes 4 solutions, all with varying results is hardly bad. Does not make getting the right for you settings easier, but that's just PC with too many options where you spent 5h benchmarking and then start to play the game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah, it's just motion smoothing right?
I mean if it works on video then its clearly not doing anything to logic or input polling because when dealing with pre rendered footage these simply do not exist.

Rudius

I tried 3X from 40 to 120 fps. It smooths the image, but I don't like the input lag, feels much worse than regular 60 fps.

The FSR upscaler is good, but normally I just use NIS.

Hugare

I tried 3X from 40 to 120 fps. It smooths the image, but I don't like the input lag, feels much worse than regular 60 fps.

The FSR upscaler is good, but normally I just use NIS.
I mean, its worse than 60 because you are still running at 40. So it will feel like 40, but look like 120.

Yeah, it's just motion smoothing right?
I mean if it works on video then its clearly not doing anything to logic or input polling because when dealing with pre rendered footage these simply do not exist.
Kinda. Its interpolating.

And yeah, video is dumb 'cause Youtube only goes up to 60. So the viewer wont see any difference in fluidity.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
How would this apply to me? I have a 7900 XTX but I’m thinking this would be handy for old games locked to lower frame rates? If so I could use it with them to make them extra smooth on my OLED (emulators in particular).

And if you use this, wouldn’t Steam stat track this instead of the game you actually play?

Hugare

How would this apply to me? I have a 7900 XTX but I’m thinking this would be handy for old games locked to lower frame rates? If so I could use it with them to make them extra smooth on my OLED (emulators in particular).

And if you use this, wouldn’t Steam stat track this instead of the game you actually play?
Yeah, its perfect for old games. Since it works with whatever window is open, it doesnt matter the content, it will work. Emulators, old games etc.

I've tested it with Wind Waker, a game that is locked to 30 FPS, and it became 60 FPS perfectly.

About the Steam question, I dunno. But I dont think so.

Ok, so is it as good as people are claiming? Because they make it sound like sorcery
I'm willing to buy right now

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Its so cheap

Come back here later with your thoughts.

Also, you could have your money back if you dont like it due to Steam's reimbursement policy

Are you kidding? 120fps on 60hz monitor will look perfect, but this looks like shit on 60hz. It looks like 40 with heavy motion blur. So it generates same doubled/tripled frames and smart blurs between them.

SNG32

Are you kidding? 120fps on 60hz monitor will look perfect, but this looks like shit on 60hz. It looks like 40 with heavy motion blur. So it generates same doubled/tripled frames and smart blurs between them.
If you have a 120 to 300hz monitor this is where lossless really shines.

Top Bottom