• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lossless Scaling 2.9 update introduces 3x Frame Interpolation

Who suggested you use a framerate above a display's refresh rate?
It's not just above - it's exactly double. Try it yourself. You can use ether double or half frame-rate (or refresh rate, it will work) and still retain perfect frame-pacing.
If you have a 120 to 300hz monitor this is where lossless really shines.
Because you have very little difference between frames at such high frame-rates. Basically any frame rate upscaling will work very good at such high source frame-rate.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

How would this apply to me? I have a 7900 XTX but I’m thinking this would be handy for old games locked to lower frame rates? If so I could use it with them to make them extra smooth on my OLED (emulators in particular).

And if you use this, wouldn’t Steam stat track this instead of the game you actually play?
You can run games at a lower framerate and then frame gen with LS to get better temperatures and GPU usage. If you have a higher monitor's refresh rate like 240hz/360hz you can probably reach it now.

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Its so cheap

Come back here later with your thoughts.

Also, you could have your money back if you dont like it due to Steam's reimbursement policy

I saw the comments about latency, so I chose to test a game that doesn't require quick responses. I played Baldur's Gate 3 for approximately 2 hours. I tested during combat, city exploration, camping, menus, and everything looked unbelievably beautiful and smooth. It was extremely more enjoyable compared to the original FPS.

I used the x3 and x2 options. Since my monitor is faulty and can only handle up to 75Hz, I left it at 2x, and the image quality seemed better, even though it was already good.

I am speechless.

Soodanim

Might pick this up and test with Elden Ring ahead of SotE. My PC gets about 40-60, so a constant doubled 30 might be good. Not 100% on the input lag at 30fps though.

Tarin02543

Might pick this up and test with Elden Ring ahead of SotE. My PC gets about 40-60, so a constant doubled 30 might be good. Not 100% on the input lag at 30fps though.

Just tried some ER with this, fantastic results however for heavy online play a bit unusable due to the still noticeable lag.

Karak

Big fan of his work. But it does induce some issues like it feels like not just latency but some odd other issues as well. Still hugely useful in some situations and for sure with handheld windows PC devices in some games.

THE DUCK

Banned
2.9 release had a bug in the pacing algorithm. I just recorded a video with the new algorithm that will be present on 2.9.1 beta:

A minor miracle really, impressive.
Might want to show how hard it is to look at in comparison at the 20fps with it disabled at the start or the end. (If its worth the trouble)

MaKTaiL

Might want to show how hard it is to look at in comparison at the 20fps with it disabled at the start or the end. (If its worth the trouble)
When you enable LS it is basically showing you a recording of what you are playing but with interpolation applied. Switching between these with OBS is tricky. It's best to record two separate videos, one with LS and the other one without. I might do it and post it here.

THE DUCK

Banned
When you enable LS it is basically showing you a recording of what you are playing but with interpolation applied. Switching between these with OBS is tricky. It's best to record two separate videos, one with LS and the other one without. I might do it and post it here.

Ah ok, so a bit of a pain. Wasn't thinking so much for me now that I've seen it in person, but for those who don't believe. :)
I can't believe this isn't getting more hype.

Please, do it. You will get at least one view (mine)

Seems interesting tech. Be cool to test some full path tracing games and see the effects. Will try to check it out on my handhelds and laptop too 🙌

ok just tested it out, it's fucking fantastic and I really can't notice much artifacting really. Tried it out on Deux Ex Mankind Divided which is normally stuck to 60 fps and went on to 180 like it was nothing. Absolutely night and day difference when looking side to side. The easiest to notice is having some billboard or some text on a wall and move the head sideways. At 60fps you can barely see the letters when moving, at 3x you can read fully clear.

Really impressed :messenger_bicep:

MaKTaiL

Please, do it. You will get at least one view (mine)
Here you go. I tried to record a similar playthrough for comparison (Control enemy encounter is randomized so I had to restart a few times :messenger_grinning_sweat:).

X

Last edited:

Shakka43

I played a bit of Silent hill 2, turns 60fps to 120 and it does a fantastic job. The tool has been improved immensely since the last time I used it a few months back.

Another game I've been using it with is Biogun, that game has some performance issues and lossless Scaling helps a lot to reduce the stuttering.

It also works pretty well with movies and TV shows, I always find that movies look very juddery on high refresh monitors, this tools makes them run smoothly without much of a soap opera effect.

Last edited:

amigastar

Apparently yes. I may buy it right now.
Thats awesome, so i could use it on GTA 4 and 5.
Edit: I bought it now gonna try out some games.
Quick Question:
Should i change my VSync to 30 fps when running with a 60 hz monitor?

Last edited:
How does this work, I open it up in steam and then it works for gamepass and activision games just fine?

Last edited:

Tarin02543

These 7 euros have made my entire shmup library playable on my OLED monitor, 180 fps starts to look CRT LIKE.

180 fps ikaruga is godlike, also it seems that 2D games that run rock solid have no latency when using X3

Here you go. I tried to record a similar playthrough for comparison (Control enemy encounter is randomized so I had to restart a few times :messenger_grinning_sweat:).

X

That's a great video, 20 FPS is vomit inducing and the frame interpolation to 60 makes a world of a difference. I need to test it our on the handheld. This will not only make some games run as if they are on a full pc, but also save so much battery life too.
Tested out with Elden ring on the laptop, full maxed out with RT (in a rainy grassy area) and kept frames unlocked around the high 30s to mid 40s, with 3x that shit looks smooth as butter. Really well done to the dev, man deserves an Oscar :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ThisIsMyDog

Well..... no. That's the point. I'm showing it is possible to go from 20 to 60 with LS and make it playable.
Ye but i did that, 20 to 60 using this program, it feels like shit i couldn't play like that, thats what im talking about, 60 to 120 was fine tho.

I have a pretty weak PC/GPU. Would this help with VR streamed to my Oculus?
Haven't tested with VR, but I would assume not natively. The way the image is generated for VR is not the same as for flat screens. There's distortion involved and although DLSS and FSR can be used in VR games, I'm under the impression it has to be a bespoke solution.

I can be completely wrong here, but to be honest, just test it. My vr right maxes out the fps so I can't do it myself. What CPU/GPU are you using?

Also there is a hit on performance before the multiplier hits, just be mindful of that. I was able to make it work on a windows handheld, brought the witcher from 30fps medium/high settings at 1080p to 60fps. It was about 40fps before turning on the multiplier

Can you realy play like that?? i tried it in Jedi Survivor on my 1060 but looks just so bad its unplayable.
There are some limites. You generally needs a stable performance, reasonable input delay and the game can't be at full screen (always windowed).
They recommend at least 30 fps and start multiplying from that.
I was able to move from 30 fps to 90 fps on Baldur's Gate 3, but that is a game that does not need low input

Schmendrick

If they are avaliable for console, yes.

I mean, 'those' kinda of tech. This is what consoles are about.
Sony is already on that with PSSR and i'd bet MS is not far behind.
These things take time. Look how long Nvidia has been developing DLSS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom