• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lossless Scaling 2.9 update introduces 3x Frame Interpolation

Fake

Sony is already on that with PSSR and i'd bet MS is not far behind.

Can't say about PSSR because there is no PS5pro to jugde. And if only the PS5pro can use gonna be a waste for the base PS5.

Again, I talking about scaling techs that are for every console, not proprietary ones. Even Nintendo Switch can use FRS, while DLSS and PSSR are locked behind hardware.

amigastar

Too bad you have to set Fps to half of your monitors hz, makes comparing Fps harder when enabling Frame gen.

Last edited:

Holammer

Gave it a try, simple and pretty intuitive to get running.
Tried BotW in CEMU at 40fps to see if the feature actually worked and set it to x3. It gave me a silky smooth 120fps. Playing it at a native 72fps is already impressive, but LS actually improved the experience. There is a cost to the feature and you need some overhead, especially with my old 1080 GPU, so I can't get solid 60 with x3, but 60x2 or 48x3 work great.
Also tried RPCS3 with some Sly Cooper collection and ended up playing it for 2 hours.

Holammer

Let me get this straight;

It’s displaying a high frame rate, but you’re still playing at the lower frame rate?
Yes, game logic still works at the base framerate. This base framerate is analogous to a key animator and LS as the inbetweenter/tweener drawing additional frames. The result is buttery smooth framerate.

Killer8

Tried it in a few older games.

Resident Evil 4 (2005) looks extremely smooth at 120fps. I recommend turning off the motion blur effect in game as it looks a bit weird with the interpolation (and isn't needed now anyway at 120).

Jet Set Radio, which has a 30fps lock on PC, didn't fare well. There is a lot of artifacting around the edge of the screen when in motion, and around HUD elements when panning the camera, maybe due to a combination of the simple art style and going from a 30fps base framerate. I would honestly just recommend playing at 30.

Metal Gear Solid V looks great at 120fps and the advantage here is not having to use any mods to go above 60fps, which I believe can break some game logic.

Katamari Damacy Reroll is an interesting use case for the software. The rendering of the gameplay is locked at 30fps but the overall image has an arbitrary framerate it seems, so you will catch certain UI elements and some scenes running in a high framerate. This causes an ugly mismatch which LSFG actually works well to makes less obvious. Still noticeable, but less so.

Holammer

Tried it in a few older games.

Resident Evil 4 (2005) looks extremely smooth at 120fps. I recommend turning off the motion blur effect in game as it looks a bit weird with the interpolation (and isn't needed now anyway at 120).

Jet Set Radio, which has a 30fps lock on PC, didn't fare well. There is a lot of artifacting around the edge of the screen when in motion, and around HUD elements when panning the camera, maybe due to a combination of the simple art style and going from a 30fps base framerate. I would honestly just recommend playing at 30.

Metal Gear Solid V looks great at 120fps and the advantage here is not having to use any mods to go above 60fps, which I believe can break some game logic.

Katamari Damacy Reroll is an interesting use case for the software. The rendering of the gameplay is locked at 30fps but the overall image has an arbitrary framerate it seems, so you will catch certain UI elements and some scenes running in a high framerate. This causes an ugly mismatch which LSFG actually works well to makes less obvious. Still noticeable, but less so.
Tried it in MAME for some older games. x3 was a no-go as it caused judder, x2 was fine and some vertical games had banding minor artefacts because of the scanline shader, switching scaling type in LS to nearest neighbour fixed it.
It was mighty strange to play Black Tiger, one of my fave arcades at 120fps.

intbal

I wish they had developed this tech further. They were ahead of their time.
As far as I know, the first game that actually featured frame generation was Combat Arms: Reloaded (2018).
It didn't have it at launch, but it was added in a later patch.

amigastar

I tried Frame Gen 3x on Phoenix Point but that was rather pointless because the game runs only at 60 Fps already in the vanilla TFTV mod.
It did have noticable lag with Lossless Scaling, though. So i don't really know what that was about. Have to try other games to see if there is noticable lag.

John Bilbo

I can't get the frame generation working. I tried disabling VRR and setting my display to a lower refresh rate. I'll try and tinker with it some more later.

Holammer

I put in about eight hours of BotW with LS, doing some general screwing around (hunting shrines) and Rito Village's Divine Beast. The effect is great at 60x2 and as an added bonus it fixes the jaRRinG transition to 30fps video cut-scenes. Also tried some Spyro Trilogy where it worked great and it got me thinking, since the physics crap out above 120fps, LS is still useful for people with powerful GPUs in older games. Not only as the poor man's DLSS frame-gen.

Screenshot_2024-06-14_15-50-47.jpg

See you around, kid.

THE DUCK

Banned
I put in about eight hours of BotW with LS, doing some general screwing around (hunting shrines) and Rito Village's Divine Beast. The effect is great at 60x2 and as an added bonus it fixes the jaRRinG transition to 30fps video cut-scenes. Also tried some Spyro Trilogy where it worked great and it got me thinking, since the physics crap out above 120fps, LS is still useful for people with powerful GPUs in older games. Not only as the poor man's DLSS frame-gen.

Screenshot_2024-06-14_15-50-47.jpg

See you around, kid.

Hey, are you allowed to talk about and or post pics without the Nintendo police coming to your house? 😃

Imagine actually wanting to play thier games in superior form.......

sendit

Let me get this straight;

It’s displaying a high frame rate, but you’re still playing at the lower frame rate?

Yes. However, latency is reduced in comparison to playing at a lower frame rate. However a native frame rate will result in better latency. Regardless, it is still the better option if someone had a choice between 30v60v120 FPS.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm using it on Euro 2024 streams. It transforms a poor 25 fps signal to 75 fps, and it's great. The ball flashes sometimes, and the close-up camera introduces some artifacts, but it's worth it.

I tried it on Twilight Princess too(locked 30 fps game?); same result, but this time Link's head flashes when camera rotates😀 Again, it's worth it.

Hadn't realised I wasn't on the latest version, no idea why it wasn't auto updating. The 2.1 version of frame gen is much better than the original from before, a lot less artifacts when panning the camera.

Makes for some tough decisions now as I'm a big fan of DLDSR. Tried this with SMTV and it was flawless, now I can't decide between 1.7x DLDSR at 60 or 4K frame gen to 120 instead. Tried with both but not sure DLDSR was working in windowed mode (didn't look like it)

amigastar

I'm still surprised this isn't getting more press.
I mean a $10 tool that enhances every game you have on any gpu/system?
The thing is new games already have DLSS and Frame Gen support for Nvidia 4000 series and those old games which don't have it are running fast anyways on a lets say 4070.
I'm not making the program bad it is what it is.
For users of older GPU`s this program is a godsend.

THE DUCK

Banned
The thing is new games already have DLSS and Frame Gen support for Nvidia 4000 series and those old games which don't have it are running fast anyways on a lets say 4070.

I agree, that's true, many games run well already on some of the newer hardware. But the bulk of the market playing games is on older hardware as evidenced by steam's current gpu lists. The current top 10 list is all weaker gpu's.....and make up over 35% of the market. I bet most of them still don't know this program even exists.

ALL VIDEO CARDSJANFEBMARAPRMAY

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
4.98%6.17%6.92%5.71%6.19%+0.48%

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
4.67%4.23%4.07%4.32%4.52%+0.20%

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
3.44%3.82%4.05%3.70%3.84%+0.14%

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
3.50%4.12%4.10%3.60%3.75%+0.15%

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
3.13%3.85%3.98%3.49%3.70%+0.21%

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
3.68%3.90%3.70%3.48%3.55%+0.07%

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU
3.86%3.47%3.06%3.45%3.37%-0.08%

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050
2.79%2.62%2.49%2.76%2.90%+0.14%

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU
2.61%2.59%2.36%2.86%2.84%-0.02%

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060
1.22%1.99%2.59

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Man, imagine if a program like this came out 7 years ago. Minds blown everywhere.

I dont know about that. Your Witcher 3 era type games are not getting 165fps on a 4070.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I tried a few games on Steam Deck in Windows and it was kind of hit and miss. Naturally it has some overhead to produce the generated frames, and in FH5 the Deck was unable to get from 30fps to 60fps using frame gen(note: it can hit 60fps natively). Hot Wheels was able to do 30fps to 60fps. I think maybe something like the 680M or 780M is kind of the minimum hardware required. I didn't have time to check out CPU and memory usage, just GPU, so I'm not sure what part of the Deck is keeping FH5 from being able to jump from 30fps to 60fps.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I’d be very interested in seeing the actual latency timings for this.
For comparison at hand It doesn't really matter. Control isn't playable at 20fps input latency, even if this added nothing it'd still be unplayable.

But the minimum added interpolating from 20->60 would be about 50ms.

Tommi84

So let me get this straight, I can play some 2d rpgs (like Pillars of Eternity) on my potato laptops with 60fps as it struggles to achieve this now?

What sorcery is this?

Yes, this is a POTATO laptop - I play on a console 99% of the time

Demigod Mac

It's like the motion smoothing setting on TVs, so mileage will vary from game to game.
I found it most useful for games that have a locked, unalterable framerate - especially for emulators and fighting games.
Note that it just simulates a higher framerate, so input lag will be the same as the game's native framerate.
In some ways it makes input lag more noticeable, like if a game runs natively at 60 but it's being smoothed to 120 or 180, and you're used to playing other games at their native high framerate with low input lag.

sendit

Would this be worth getting for a 3080ti for games that don't have framegen?
Yes. Less heat = less power usage to hit desired frame rate. I don't recommend 3x though.

With tech like this, no one should humiliate and self inflict pain on themselves by playing at 30 FPS.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

I'm not so sure how revolutionary something like this is. I've been experimenting with it in a several games, and all of them have some sort of noticeable artifacting. I'll keep experimenting though.

Last edited:

Holammer

I'm not so sure how revolutionary something like this is. I've been experimenting with it in a several games, and all of them have some sort of noticeable artifacting. I'll keep experimenting though.
If you get artifacting, you don't have enough headroom for LS. For example, if you get 90fps region with unlocked framerate, lock it to 60 and LS should have plenty to work with and deliver quality X2.

MAX PAYMENT

If you get artifacting, you don't have enough headroom for LS. For example, if you get 90fps region with unlocked framerate, lock it to 60 and LS should have plenty to work with and deliver quality X2.
If you're getting 90 fps to begin with, why bother with frame generation?

Last edited:

amigastar

I have a new monitor with 165hz and GSync. Honestly i prefer GSync even if it does not reach the full 165fps like with LS. LS is a great program but i prefer the buttery smooth GSync.

Last edited:

Holammer

If you're getting 90 fps to begin with, why bother with frame generation?
It was an example to explain how you need to leave some headroom, too many run games with unlocked framerate and apply LS expecting magic. Instead having the game and LS fighting for supremacy and system resources.

It's not free framerate, there is a cost.

maxresdefault.jpg

MAX PAYMENT

It was an example to explain how you need to leave some headroom, too many run games with unlocked framerate and apply LS expecting magic. Instead having the game and LS fighting for supremacy and system resources.

It's not free framerate, there is a cost.

maxresdefault.jpg
I get that, but it recommends at least 30 fps, if I'm not mistaken. I'm trying things I get around 40-60 on.

Top Bottom