• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Labrys

i'm going to get to target before they open and try snagging one of the majora's mask n3ds's. or i might try tonight before closing, what do you guys think would be better?

Wasn't expecting much from the nub and it still disappointed me. Close to useless. :/ Can't move it fully to the left without my thumb being stopped by the screen. Just feels horrible to use, looks like I'm going back to the claw for Monster Hunter. The stable 3d is really nice though, might actually start playing in 3d again.

Briarios

Has anyone received shipping info from Best Buy for a Majora's Mask 3DS XL? Mine still says Order In Process and Status Not Available

Same here.

My MH New 3DS XL bundle has shipped from GameStop, though. Should arrive via UPS on Monday. Pretty excited for it!

Edit: My bad ... My poor reading skills led me to answer incorrectly, I have the MM bundle on order at Best Buy, not the 3DS -- sorry!

kubus

So I'm very afraid that I have a faulty new 3ds XL Majora's Mask edition...

1. When I rub the Circle Pad in a downright position, it sounds like it's rubbing against something. Makes a scuffing sound. It's very distracting and only happens when I push it downright.

2. I can move the top screen left and right a few millimeters.

Fuck this :(

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So I'm very afraid that I have a faulty new 3ds XL Majora's Mask edition...

1. When I rub the Circle Pad in a downright position, it sounds like it's rubbing against something. Makes a scuffing sound. It's very distracting and only happens when I push it downright.

2. I can move the top screen left and right a few millimeters.

Fuck this :(

Ouch. Hopefully Nintendo has backup LEs for returns.

Came back from the store just now, my haul:

haulzfqv0.jpg

I'm so ready.

Now to decide which game I should play first...

seeing this made me realize that it might be easier (and a bit cheaper) for us in the US and possibly Canada to order the 3DS XL charging cradle from Amazon.co.uk. Prices are a bit better than Play-Asia and other Asian resellers. Plus, other times I've ordered from them, it comes pretty quickly. Standard international shipping usually doesn't have tracking unfortunately

misterck

Air Zombie Meat, in MH4U game settings I think if you choose the 2nd control settings you can use ZL and ZR buttons to turn the camera left and right, may help a bit.

To North Americans that would prefer to have the n3DS over the XL: hold out, don't give in and by the XL. Send a message to NoA. Hopefully the upcoming Gateway release means you guys can import from Europe/Japan and still play NTSC carts.

kubus

Ouch. Hopefully Nintendo has backup LEs for returns.

Yeah, I hope I can get it exchanged for a new one in the store so they can send mine to Nintendo but I'm afraid that will be tricky as their stock is probably completely reserved for pre-orders.

Also I discovered this AFTER I put on my Hori screen protectors. fml

Here's a vine of the loose top screen if anyone cares, it's really quite bizarre that this is possible. https://vine.co/v/OPhi5U1KV9E

Labrys

To North Americans that would prefer to have the n3DS over the XL: hold out, don't give in and by the XL. Send a message to NoA. Hopefully the upcoming Gateway release means you guys can import from Europe/Japan and still play NTSC carts.

The only issue I have with this is a lot of my games are from the eShop. Unless there was a way to, like, flash the system to be US and then transfer my games/NNID over I'd be shit out of luck.

seeing this made me realize that it might be easier (and a bit cheaper) for us in the US and possibly Canada to order the 3DS XL charging cradle from Amazon.co.uk. Prices are a bit better than Play-Asia and other Asian resellers. Plus, other times I've ordered from them, it comes pretty quickly. Standard international shipping usually doesn't have tracking unfortunately

And the price listed in the OP (£9.85) isn't even technically correct. I put it in my "basket" (LOL UK) and once I told their system I wanted it shipped to the US, the price dropped to £8.21, I assume because they removed the VAT (UK's sales tax). Delivery estimate was 5-10 days. Here's the final price breakdown:

0Bz086x.png

And here's the final price with shipping from Play-Asia. It's just a hair more expensive, and the shipping is worse. Their "economy" option says delivered by 2/28 - 3/24! I'm sure it'll be closer to 2/28 but still that is a long ass time. Expedited shipping was $12.90 and estimates delivery between 2/22 - 2/26 which is closer to Amazon but still worse.

amew8rs.png

I just got a pretty excellent tax return and I'm still not giving into the XL. I can be patient. It does help that Majora's Mask isn't exactly one of my favorite Zelda games. :p

LaneDS

I'd like something clarified: I plan on transferring my stuff to my new machine, but I don't want to upgrade the MicroSD that comes with it. That means I don't need a screwdriver, right?

If you're doing the wireless transfer, then I believe the answer is yes (assuming you've got less than 4GB to transfer). Not 100% on that though.

Are there similar trade in deals at best buy and Walmart? Also couldn't find how much the trade in value at GameStop for the circle pad pro would be as well. Prob not much..

Wait are charging cradles suddenly out / coming out? I just ordered one from Play Asia yesterday because there was no hint of it mentioned for the US. Should I cancel the order?

Wait are charging cradles suddenly out / coming out? I just ordered one from Play Asia yesterday because there was no hint of it mentioned for the US. Should I cancel the order?

They are not releasing the cradle in the US. You need to import from Japan/Europe. See my post above. It's cheaper from Amazon UK than Play-Asia, and delivery is faster.

Effect

Finally got my tracking number. Scheduled to be delivered by UPS on Monday and I have that day off as well. Don't think my new sd card will arrive by then. So guess I'll just hold off on redownloading some games until then.

Labrys

Why are people getting new SD cards, just bigger ones that the stock one? And what's the best deal for them now if so?

Amazon has 32 gig ones for $20ish I think. And people are getting new ones because a lot of people have more games than the 4gb will hold.

Madn

I was thinking of skipping it because of all the digital stuff i had on my old one, but my local gamestop said they'll allow to trade in my 3ds and then transfer my data in the store.. I caved in and preordered one at the last minute

They are not releasing the cradle in the US. You need to import from Japan/Europe. See my post above. It's cheaper from Amazon UK than Play-Asia, and delivery is faster.

Ah exactly what I wanted to see, thanks! Just emailed Play Asia to cancel the order and will place it on Amazon UK once they let me know it's done.

LaneDS

Why are people getting new SD cards, just bigger ones that the stock one? And what's the best deal for them now if so?

For one thing, additional storage up from the stock 4GB you get.

Secondly, it uses microSD cards whereas older 3DS models do not.

For one thing, additional storage up from the stock 4GB you get.

Secondly, it uses microSD cards whereas older 3DS models do not.

Ahh fantastic. I'll definitely be replacing it with my own uSD card prior to transferring the data from my old 3DS then. Thanks!!

Ugh I hope the charging cradle makes it to NA even if it's just on Nintendo's website.

Just import it. After this release with the limited number of Majora's Mask 3D Limited Editions and Majora's Mask new 3DS's, non-existant regular model and lack of inclusion of the power adapter, do you really have faith that they will supply the charging cradle?

Eusis

Just import it. After this release with the limited number of Majora's Mask 3D Limited Editions and Majora's Mask new 3DS's, non-existant regular model and lack of inclusion of the power adapter, do you really have faith that they will supply the charging cradle?
It's insane how tight fisted Nintendo's being here. Well, I guess failing to keep up with what the DS/Wii established makes it sensible to cut back, but it seems like things are going a little nuts in that regard.

Is anyone thinking of crashing a Gamestop midnight launch without having a pre-order?

Go and tell them you want to pre-order the game at like 10pm tonight. If they have any extra stock you'll be fine I think. The people at my GameStop have always been super nice, so if they have anything they can sell you they will help you out and not turn you away.

I think my new 3DS XL uses quite a lot of battery power when in standby mode (street pass on). Is this normal?

It was on standby for about 24h now and I played 2 hours max, the LED is on red now.

shanafan

Do you think Call of Duty could see a return to portable Nintendo handhelds with the New Nintendo 3DS? The dual analog sticks are perfect for that game.

I think the last COD title to grace that platform was Modern Warfare 3 back in 2011. Call of Duty Declassified for the Vita was panned, so maybe Activision has decided it's not worth to try at it again. I would be favorable to see the opposite happen..

m1ssberyl

Neo Member
I ordered the special Kyary Pamyu Pamyu faceplates from AmiAmi, only to be shafted by NoA because for some unholy reason the standard size isn't being released here. I just hope in 6 months or something, they decide to release, or at least give me a special Fire Emblem n3DS XL.

Yeah we never even got a commercially available 3DS XL charging cradle. It was only released on Club Nintendo unless my memory is mistaken.

I think my new 3DS XL uses quite a lot of battery power when in standby mode (street pass on). Is this normal?

It was on standby for about 24h now and I played 2 hours max, the LED is on red now.
Stand by on the 3ds is a joke in general. I don't know anything about specifics, but I'd say if you plan on not playing for a while - save, and turn it off. You'll be coming back to a dead system for often than not.
Do you think Call of Duty could see a return to portable Nintendo handhelds with the New Nintendo 3DS? The dual analog sticks are perfect for that game.

I think the last COD title to grace that platform was Modern Warfare 3 back in 2011. Call of Duty Declassified for the Vita was panned, so maybe Activision has decided it's not worth to try at it again. I would be favorable to see the opposite happen..
I'd say temper those expectations. The Vita has two real analog sticks, and the amount of shooters on that is very little. Not to mention the extra stick on the n3ds is more a nub that barely moves, not an actual stick.

I didn't bring up the Vita so people could bash it, so if you (metaphorical you) plan on it gtfo. Just because the control options are there doesn't mean people will take advantage of it. And from what I hear...you wouldn't want to use the nub on the n3ds for a FPS anyway.

Top Bottom