• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW No Man's Sky Details (GAMEPLAY, ATLAS, CRAFTING,)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Maybe he's unsure and wants to know more so that he can feel more secure in his anticipation for the game.

There is a lot of feelings about something between "I know it's my cup of tea" and "I know it's not my cup of tea", especially when you consider how much stuff there is that we don't know about this game.
I don't get the sense that he has any real anticipation of the game and certainly, if he really wants to know more, there's much better ways to do that than the kind of deconstructive oversimplification he engages in (another pathology of this crowd). It's intentionally backhanded to call it "just a walking simulator". There's easily accessible information out there that will readily confirm you do plenty more than that, so this is clearly not even a real attempt to try to understand what the game is.

And honestly, why should anyone care how "secure" he is about his anticipation of this game or the lack thereof? Anticipate or not, you really don't need to have a public hissy fit about it. There are plenty of other fish in the sea.

Hikami

When the game does come out I think I'll be forced to go into blackout mode. The reason being is, you know there are going to be people playing for 24+ hours straight just to be the first to get to the center of the universe and blab about it.
Cool, so I'm not the only one thinking this

I really want to find out what it is on my own but, I'll probably end up getting spoiled eh..

Walpurgis

Banned
The planet in the demo didn't look planet sized like I expected. Other then that, I am very excited for this. Lol Sean Murray looked terrified at the E3 stage. I never thought of this as a Demon's Souls style game. That is very cool. I hope the player can become a star.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
The game sounds like fun, I love the explore stuff a lot. But I have a feeling the first time I start running into other people's discovered and named planets/life forms and hit the first juvenile crap...I'll be done.

I don't mind witty, fun names, movie/game shout outs etc. But when I see a planet named "Fart Gas" populated by animals named "your mom's X".

I'm a stuffy old guy I guess ;P

I'll wait and see how it pans out, but based on comments in other parts of the net, it ain't looking good for people like me lol

I think the fact that Sean Murray is like super fucking terrified to be on stage makes me all the more interested to support the game more than I already am. It's so fucking genuine and relatable and nice to see what is essentially a guy who never expected to be giving these big presentations being forced to give them haha. It's like Silicon Valley.

I feel it's my obligation to do this, since I still see people asking. Here is:

It's not possible to misunderstand what the game is, what it's about, what you'll be doing, how it works, and how it's possible on a technical level after seeing those.

Yes, that youtube video along with the OP makes me more excited for the game.

^Store Page is up

I need a poster of this.

Trouble

Banned
I really wanna do it, but I think its taken :(

What's funny, is that I think I applied for the OT like a year ago, but was way too early. Lol

It's not taken. The current rules for claiming an OT are that the release date has to be announced. Too many people were claiming games that were potentially years out, or never going to materialize.

OT OT is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653

edit: Actually it's not a hard & fast rule, just frowned upon.

mujun

I don't get the sense that he has any real anticipation of the game and certainly, if he really wants to know more, there's much better ways to do that than the kind of deconstructive oversimplification he engages in (another pathology of this crowd). It's intentionally backhanded to call it "just a walking simulator". There's easily accessible information out there that will readily confirm you do plenty more than that, so this is clearly not even a real attempt to try to understand what the game is.

And honestly, why should anyone care how "secure" he is about his anticipation of this game or the lack thereof? Anticipate or not, you really don't need to have a public hissy fit about it. There are plenty of other fish in the sea.

Walking simulator is unfair.

I didn't see a hissy fit, though. Everyone is happy for the keen guy to get all worked up and to give the game the benefit of the doubt for days on end despite a definite lack of concrete info but as soon as someone says they want to know more or complains that there isn't enough info out there (with a little passion) then he or she is a hater and they are throwing a hissy fit.

amnesiac

The weird thing to me is that Hello Games, the ones who don't want hype to get out of control, are the ones that posted it.

- a handful of powerfully different environments are more impactful and memorable than an infinite number of pretty places.

i actually disagree with this sentiment on a broad level. of course there are cases to be made for it's truth, but generally speaking the more defined a thing is, the less of myself i can inject into it. i can't "own" it.

Sblargh

Banned
I'm approaching the point where I think the people who say they don't get what this game is about is trolling.

I know they're not, but it became those circular kind of conversations. "what do you?" "you explore", "yeah, but what do you do?" "you gather, you trade, you fight, you explore" "yeah, but what do you do?" "you explore, you go anywhere, you find new life, new planets, new stuffs" "yeah, but what do you do?"

Grief.exe

I'm approaching the point where I think the people who say they don't get what this game is about is trolling.

I know they're not, but it became those circular kind of conversations. "what do you?" "you explore", "yeah, but what do you do?" "you gather, you trade, you fight, you explore" "yeah, but what do you do?" "you explore, you go anywhere, you find new life, new planets, new stuffs" "yeah, but what do you do?"

Mainstream gamers have been told exactly what to do for the last decade. They've been taken by the hand, given one button to press, and an arrow over their head.

Giving them infinite possibilities is just too much to handle.

You're totally valid in questioning the minutae of what this unwarranted-ly hyped game has to offer that is built around the idea that you find out yourself.

Exactly this. So far, we've only been told about the flying, walking, swimming, running, scanning, shooting, crafting, trading, upgrading, battling, discovering, transmitting, warping, and species and planet naming/renaming. So basically we know zero things. You have to find out for yourself because we have no idea what you do. None.

And since the things we do know are of no appeal to me, the game is obviously not deserving of the hype it gets. Because I'm the arbiter of what does and does not deserve the hype it gets. Do you think they've shared enough details to get you excited? Well you can suck a dick in hell because I've simply decided it doesn't warrant the hype.

Move on people. Nothing to see here.

Steel

Banned
Exactly this. So far, we've only been told about the flying, walking, swimming, running, scanning, shooting, crafting, trading, upgrading, battling, discovering, transmitting, warping, and species and planet naming/renaming. So basically we know zero things. You have to find out for yourself because we have no idea what you do. None.

And since the things we do know are of no appeal to me, the game is obviously not deserving of the hype it gets. Because I'm the arbiter of what does and does not deserve the hype it gets. Do you think they've shared enough details to get you excited? Well you can suck a dick in hell because I've simply decided it doesn't warrant the hype.

Perfect.

daveo42

Banned
This game continues to amaze. I really am looking forward to seeing this game. I just hope I have the time to dedicate to it once it launches. I'm still really hoping for a 2016 release for just that reason. Between MGSV, Fallout 4, Persona 5 (maybe), and this (also maybe), there will be a lot of very long games competing for time come this holiday.

^Store Page is up

Wonder if the release date is imminent. We can assume the delay in sharing it on the Sony stage was for the PC announcement, so now that that's out of the way, not much else stopping them from listing a date.

mujun

Don't lump those people in with people who just want more specific info.

It's great to hear that each planet is actually planet sized. What I want to know is, is there any point to actually trekking across much of a planet or do you see everything a planet has to offer in spending five minutes there.

xBladeM6x

Not trying to shit on Unicorn or anything, but I can just appreciate the high caliber sarcasm in this.

picard_clapping.gif

Sblargh

Banned

It's great to hear that each planet is actually planet sized. What I want to know is, is there any point to actually trekking across much of a planet or do you see everything a planet has to offer in spending five minutes there.

Apparently each planet have their own resources and they are finite, resources can be used for trading and upgrading; gathering them summons those kind of robot guardians, so gathering is both about exploring and fighting (or collecting stuff real quickly and running fast)

Steel

Banned

There was a trailer where the player scans a planet, you see multiple points of interest across the planet to visit where you can do stuff. Also, you can get resources.

daveo42

Banned

Not 100% sure at this point, though you can see that each planet does have multiple points of interest and there may be some diversity in what can be gathered on each planet. All we do know is that each planet right now only has one biome.

8pTSVjV.gif

mujun

There was a trailer where the player scans a planet, you see multiple points of interest across the planet to visit where you can do stuff. Also, you can get resources.

Okay. I'm interested in getting resources and upgrading my ship, suit, weapons, etc. That hook always works well with me.

Interesting that each planet is actually planet sized, then. I certainly won't be walking thousands of kilometers to get to the next point of interest. Maybe it's so you can enjoy flying in low orbit to get from one point of interest to the next.

Pop

The planet in the demo didn't look planet sized like I expected. Other then that, I am very excited for this. Lol Sean Murray looked terrified at the E3 stage. I never thought of this as a Demon's Souls style game. That is very cool. I hope the player can become a star.

Planet sized in terms of you walking the surface. Not the size from space.

Sblargh

Banned
About what resources each planet have, probably it's tied down to how planets are generated.

How planets are created will be based on some simple rules. For example, the distance from the sun will determine the likeliness of there being moisture. The type of sun (Yellow Sun, Red Dwarf, Red Giant etc) will affect the quality of light on the planets. The colour of the water in the atmosphere will derive from what liquid it is.

And since everyone is on the same galaxy, even if it is an amazingly huge galaxy, you might be able to trade information with other people on the internets about what to expect on planets they have visited. So there's that component of the community mapping everything. and sharing not on the game's own encyclopedia, but I think the wiki will be a crazy place, too.

Steel

Banned
Okay. I'm interested in getting resources and upgrading my ship, suit, weapons, etc. That hook always works well with me.

Interesting that each planet is actually planet sized, then. I certainly won't be walking thousands of kilometers to get to the next point of interest. Maybe it's so you can enjoy flying in low orbit to get from one point of interest to the next.

Probably the low orbit flying. Though the fact that you can stop and walk around where-ever you want and murder animals and destroy terrain is nice. Outside the points of interest, they did mention you can drive species of animals to extinction, which would require you to visit a lot of the planet.

About what resources each planet have, probably it's tied down to how planets are generated.

And since everyone is on the same galaxy, even if it is an amazingly huge galaxy, you might be able to trade information with other people on the internets about what to expect on planets they have visited. So there's that component of the community mapping everything. and sharing not on the game's own encyclopedia, but I think the wiki will be a crazy place, too.

On a tangent to that, did anyone notice that the atmosphere of one of the planets they visited in the E3 trailer was 48% hydrogen 52% oxygen(it said as much when he landed)? Yeah... 4% hydrogen in an oxygen atmosphere is explosive so....

mujun

Planet sized in terms of you walking the surface. Not the size from space.

How does that work? Isn't going from the surface to space a seamless thing. I've always wanted to be able to leave the surface of a planet and gradually make my way through the atmosphere into the vacuum of space.

Sblargh

Banned
On a tangent to that, did anyone notice that the atmosphere of one of the planets they visited in the E3 trailer was 48% hydrogen 52% oxygen(it said as much when he landed)? Yeah... 4% hydrogen in an oxygen atmosphere is explosive so....

It wasn't hydrogen and oxygen, it was oxycen and something else. Game works out of a fictcional periodic table, I think.

Bydobob

Seems like a lot more emphasis is being placed on the fighting, which to me is disappointing. Why would sentinels be populating these planets anyway? Undermines the thrill of being the first person to discover a planet if you know it already has a set of rules in place. By having your actions policed they're also taking away some of that much vaunted freedom for the sake of giving players "something to do".

Steel

Banned
It wasn't hydrogen and oxygen, it was oxycen and something else. Game works out of a fictcional periodic table, I think.

Oh went back to it and it was Hygleise. Totally read that as hydrogen during the E3 trailer and was wondering what would happen if someone shot a laser at it.

Seems like a lot more emphasis is being placed on the fighting, which to me is disappointing. Why would sentinels be populating these planets anyway? Undermines the thrill of being the first person to discover a planet if you know it already has a set of rules in place. By having your actions policed they're also taking away some of that much vaunted freedom for the sake of giving players "something to do".

They only populate some planets from what I understand.

kyser73

This is exactly the kind of question that has, judging from some of the dialogue in the GT clip, been driving SM mental.

He wants you to find out and decide for yourself. Maybe some planets will only be worth spending 5 minutes with, picking up some resources to refuel the hyperdrive, then warping off to the next system.

There will be others that you might spend hours or even days of play time on, because they have complex ecosystems, or interesting weather, or resources to mine or ancient ruins to investigate.

The point is - you won't get the kind of specific answer you want, because it isn't possible to be that specific in the game that's being created here.

Top Bottom