• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Predator Film In Development, Titled Badlands

INC

Gold Member
The original Predator was great and a 80s classic.

Every Predator film after that has been shite.

Predator 2 was still above average, opening shoot out is great, train scene was decent, warehouse section was a cool idea.

The end fight was pretty meh, guessing the budget run out.

Predator took the concept of the original and placed it in an urban environment, it understood the lore laid out, hot climate, rival factions where it could pick off the bedt warriors one by one, ie get trophies. So Predator is still a decent film, but a bit 90s overall

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

I'm just going to assume

cartman-put-a-chick-in-it.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Predator 2 was still above average, opening shoot out is great, train scene was decent, warehouse section was a cool idea.

The end fight was pretty meh, guessing the budget run out.

Predator took the concept of the original and placed it in an urban environment, it understood the lore laid out, hot climate, rival factions where it could pick off the bedt warriors one by one, ie get trophies. So Predator is still a decent film, but a bit 90s overall

If I'm be generous then Predator 2 is average compared to the OG.

However, I'd say that Predator 2 is still better than what came after. 2018s The Predator being the absolute worst of the bunch.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
The only thing I remember about Prey was how absolutely boring it was and I turned it off after 40 minutes when nothing was happening.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

much like i said in the new alien movie thread, i'll parrot the same sentiment here.

As much i love the IP and the original movies, this is another IP/Franchise that kind of just needs to go away for a while, much like alien, I just don't see what one could do to really make it any more interesting.

Prey was "different" but was it really? it was basically just a gender swap of the OG movie with nothing much else extra added.

Until someone has a genuinely interesting plan for these franchises, they really should just be put away for a while, there just isn't any chance that i am going to rush off and see this or the new alien movie on day 1 in theatres

Ironbunny

There are a so many interesting times in human history that could be used for a Predator plot. From Roman's, Gladiators and Spartans to WW1, WW2 or modern day Special Ops. The reward flintlock at the end of Predator 2 always made me hope for a pirate era Predator movie. Now I would like an idea of WW2 SS nazis, Soviets and Allied finding themself fighting a predator in the midst of war. Maybe in some German submarine base or remote command post.

calistan

Gold Member
Great actress, the future setting opens up to some tech enhancements that would put humans on a slightly more even footing.
All anyone needs to do is rub mud on their face or hide in some water. The stupid bastard can't even see you.

I hate the predatator, he's such an unthreatening movie villain. He can go semi-invisible and he has a few shitty gadgets. Basically any action hero should expect to bitch slap him to hell.

He bit off more than he could chew when he took on that Indian girl, it was a total mismatch.

Prey was great and Trachtenberg is a real down to earth and film savvy guy. I wish him great success, even if I have a hard time imagining Fanning as the lead. My kneejerk reaction is to be anti-woke but thinking clearly Prey is the second best Predator movie in the franchise, and Predator 2 didn't exactly pick a peak human specimen in schlubby ol' Danny Glover either (should've went with Billy Blanks). The rest of the franchise is all over the place too, so honestly it doesn't matter at this point.

Mitsurux

We need a thread where we just pitch Predator movies (lol).
Would never happen:
Next Predator movie does not have Predator in the title or in any preview or marketing materials, movie is just advertised a generic action, war or mystery movie, then the Predator is revealed as the real cause of the "issue" in the story somewhere in the 3rd act.

JimmyF

Yeah prey, i'm not sure if i'm ready to see a 40kg small chick fuck up a predator tbh and i heard controversial opinions about it...
Not sure why people mentions this like it matters, going by past predator movies even Arnold with all his muscles was no match for the predator either but was able to outsmart him. Which is a common theme in the predator movies. Besides in Prey the girl gets a ton of help.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Prey was great and Trachtenberg is a real down to earth and film savvy guy. I wish him great success, even if I have a hard time imagining Fanning as the lead. My kneejerk reaction is to be anti-woke but thinking clearly Prey is the second best Predator movie in the franchise, and Predator 2 didn't exactly pick a peak human specimen in schlubby ol' Danny Glover either (should've went with Billy Blanks). The rest of the franchise is all over the place too, so honestly it doesn't matter at this point.
Hey now, don't be dissing Danny. He's always been in pretty good shape. Here he is years after Predator 2

lTb8sum.jpeg

The whole point of Predator, for me, is that mankind CAN'T match it with technology, it always boils down to raw cunning, a descent into the primal hunting instinct, tossing away the trappings of civilization. These are basically Conan stories for a modern audience.

The problem with Prey wasn't that it had a female lead, it's that the SPECIFIC female they cast had all the physicality and intimidation factor of a wet kitten.

ooe9VwM.jpeg

I spent the whole movie torn between the desire to slip her a 20 for a lap dance and expecting her to complain about a broken nail. She just couldn't sell any physicality.

Now contrast that to the Nola/Burton fight scene in Banshee where the native American actress (and her stunt team) CAN sell the plausibility that she can go Mano y mano with a tough guy. The actress is a slim chick but she has some weight to her screen presence and a more lean look.

Spoilers if you want to watch Banshee (incredibly highly recommended) as this clip has the end of that fight.

violence

Gold Member
I wouldn’t mind predator being in historical time periods from here on out like Assassin‘s Creed. Alien franchise = future, Predator franchise = past. Renaissance Italy is unlikely cause budgets of course. I think they could do Vikings though. Cast Thor Hemsworth as lead. Maybe even have that gun being traded at the end of every movie.😆

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Not sure why people mentions this like it matters, going by past predator movies even Arnold with all his muscles was no match for the predator either but was able to outsmart him. Which is a common theme in the predator movies. Besides in Prey the girl gets a ton of help.
It's stretching credulity. Arnold had an entire special forces team with machine guns that were killed off by the Predator. I wouldn't say Arnold outsmarted him but more tricked him. In the second film, you once again have a bunch of people with guns unable to take it down. Then you have Glover's character get a sneak attack with one of its own weapons. (After getting his ass kicked). So all these guns and highly trained soldiers couldn't kill it but a 90-pound girl can? Come on.

Edit: I also agree with whoever said the Predator should be a guy in a suit and not CGI. The predator looked fucking awful in Prey.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Arnold was a super soldier, from my understanding she is not an expert in guerrilla like arnie is, and she get saved by the predator because a bear is about to eat her at the start of the movie.

Also, like someone said, she doesn't sell her screen presence at all, arnold is robust enough to resist a couple of punches from the predator, she would be fucking koed with a slap.

Mobilemofo

They should make any new predator movies having them go through the ages, like the assassin's creed games. Would love that.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Prey was awesome and a huge step up from the turd that was The Predator. If Trachtenberg is on board I'll definitely give this a watch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I spent the whole movie torn between the desire to slip her a 20 for a lap dance and expecting her to complain about a broken nail. She just couldn't sell any physicality.
The entire scene where she takes down all them hunters and trappers like she was Jackie Chan... The choreography was atrocious as they all stood around like NPC AI in a video game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The entire scene where she takes down all them hunters and trappers like she was Jackie Chan... The choreography was atrocious as they all stood around like NPC AI in a video game.
Sound like the best predator movie after the first one alright...

I kinda liked the one where they are in the predator planet, just the concept of having different strong warriors from earth to challenge the predators.

But the lead had the charisma of a used condom for action roles unfortunately.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Sound like the best predator movie after the first one alright...

I kinda liked the one where they are in the predator planet, just the concept of having different strong warriors from earth to challenge the predators.

But the lead had the charisma of a used condom for action roles unfortunately.

commando3.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The only way to make a good Predator film today is by having the humans and the Predators team up against a more powerful, less honorable force.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The kinda sorta flirted with that in The Predator (2018)
I think they did it in Aliens vs Predator too. I want it more fleshed out though, ala Fast and the Furious where a human and a Predator fall in love and have to fight against the bigotry of their own races before the bigger threat shows up at the last 1/3rd of the movie.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member

Yeah this stuck out to me too. The trappers and the final battle with the predator both had a heavy dose of the foe just standing there watching her do something to them. It was kinda distracting. I feel like predator just stood there motionless waiting on her to deliver some scheme on him like 10 times. I guess you could cherry pick that out of lots of movies but it felt more exaggerated and noticeable here.

Also to the point of physicality not mattering versus the predator... I think what bothers me is that youve got Arnold who cannot physically impose his will on the Predator at all. Hes a special forces champion body builder, the apex of human physicality, and when he fights it 1v1 hes completely ineffective. I think in Prey (and its been a minute since Ive seen it I could be wrong, so if I get fact checked nevermind lol)... but I think in Prey theres some moments where she physically throws it or borderline overpowers it or something. I feel like I remember shes got it tied up with a rope or something and like flings it or drop kicks it and knocks it across the screen or something. I honestly cant remember, its been a minute... but I remember thinking "that was dumb".

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I can not believe a single soul on earth defended Prey.

Miscast. Miscast. Miscast.

Remember when physical presence was something both film critics and fans valued?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think they did it in Aliens vs Predator too. I want it more fleshed out though, ala Fast and the Furious where a human and a Predator fall in love and have to fight against the bigotry of their own races before the bigger threat shows up at the last 1/3rd of the movie.
Interstellar tells us that love is the most powerful force in nature...

FerKSeX.jpeg

Top Bottom