• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Mascot

pCARS better hit decent IQ and 60fps on PS4, and Logitech better not be trolling us re legacy support for wheels. I really do not want to spunk three grand on a PC behemoth to play it with my Fanatec but I know I'll be weak when push comes to shove. Hell, I spent seven grand on two TVs a few years ago so it's proven that all common sense goes out of the window when shiny new toys call my name.

Cygnus

Banned
pCARS better hit decent IQ and 60fps on PS4, and Logitech better not be trolling us re legacy support for wheels. I really do not want to spunk three grand on a PC behemoth to play it with my Fanatec but I know I'll be weak when push comes to shove. Hell, I spent seven grand on two TVs a few years ago so it's proven that all common sense goes out of the window when shiny new toys call my name.

3 grand? you'll be able to play Pcars at 8k @144fps i'm sure!

Gestault

Grabs from Forza 5 replays from Gamersyde

ibilzjX9Jpjm8i.gif

i1AQ9Rb23YhzI.gif

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)
I'm not the best at making gifs so forgive me, gonna make some more in a bit. This is just a test...

iLWtOKE91HSh7.gif

Nice Gif Remij

It looks a tad dark for me, is that stormy setting?
The exposure could be a tad higher I think.

markao

The windshield appears to be one of the default Gran Turismo decals. Is it a customization?

Edit: Nope, originally credited as Project Cars. Fixing the description.
Oh now I see why the mix-up.

Sony Playstation (GT) is a sponsor, or has been in the past at different cars/series/tracks. So if those cars (tracks) are licensed, you will get the Playstation/GT adds in a different game. (Audi/BMW Z4/Le Mans/etc.)

This for example is an Audi (VLN) that raced in the Nurburgring 24H, just made as livery in pCARS.

shinnn

I've made this gif of FM5 few days ago, and just noticed that "thing" (dont know how its called in english lol) in the background is reflected in the car. Are they using the framebuffer trick to do this?

FlusteredThriftyDiamondbackrattlesnake.gif

nib95

Banned
I've made this gif of FM5 few days ago, and just noticed that "thing" (dont know how its called in english lol) in the background is reflected in the car. Are they using the framebuffer trick to do this?

Very nice GIF. Though I must say, that is one hell of a gaudy paint job...

I've made this gif of FM5 few days ago, and just noticed that "thing" (dont know how its called in english lol) in the background is reflected in the car.http://giant.gfycat.com/FlusteredThriftyDiamondbackrattlesnake.gif[/QUOTE]

You mean the funny flailing inflatable tube man?

Raist

Banned

Their reflections are based on that trick, so I doubt a different method would be involved for few specific elements of the environment.
There seems to be some bugs with that as the flag and then the inflatable man thing just vanish briefly.

shinnn

Their reflections are based on that trick, so I doubt a different method would be involved for few specific elements of the environment.
There seems to be some bugs with that as the flag and then the inflatable man thing just vanish briefly.
I think they use different methods. At least in previous games. The reflections on chase cam are different from hood cam or cockpit.

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)
Another batch. Going "old-school" with the car. :)

Nice Gifs Shandy...

I think people are quick to bash Forza, and certainly it deserves it for its paywall but graphically it holds its own. Of course it would be nice to have dynamic time of day and weather etc... but it looks good overall.

Nice Gif Remij

It looks a tad dark for me, is that stormy setting?
The exposure could be a tad higher I think.

Yea, it was stormy. I agree after looking at it in gif form. The exposure is a bit low. It was both the TOD and the fact that I had the exposure down slightly in the debug menu. Easy enough to tweak for next time though.

Nice tip.
Today 07:16 PM :p
I live in the center of the earth with the other albino giants. There is no time there.

Also, Shandy, those GIFs are gorgeous. Any chance I can request more Bathurst? For my part its the most beautiful and fun track in F5.

p3tran

Banned
Nice Gifs Shandy...

I think people are quick to bash Forza, and certainly it deserves it for its paywall but graphically it holds its own. Of course it would be nice to have dynamic time of day and weather etc... but it looks good overall.

lets not go there
because you are wrong on the underlined,
and stay on the graphics etc instead

Forza 2 looks good, but the flat lighting (as usual) hurts. Also, environments in Driveclub look much better... full of details and incredibly big. Yeah, open world x circuit, but I'm just talking about how good they look.

Evolution took notes from Polyphony Digital, unfortunately Sumo didn't. If you want to be the best you gotta learn from the best, PD did godly lighting with GT5/6, it seems Driveclub has clearly surpassed that.

Synth

Evolution took notes from Polyphony Digital, unfortunately Sumo didn't. If you want to be the best you gotta learn from the best, PD did godly lighting with GT5/6, it seems Driveclub has clearly surpassed that.

You mean Playground Grounds rather than Sumo I assume. I like how DC looks, but I don't want every racing game going down the photorealistic Polyphony Digital route. Playground Games' use of colour appears to be deliberate, and gives the game an vibrant, almost Outrun 2 like look. I think it fits well with the game's theme (maybe not as well as Horizon 1's use of colour though). Having every racer looking the same (which using the same lighting approach would cause) would be pretty boring imo.

indosmoke

You mean Playground Grounds rather than Sumo I assume. I like how DC looks, but I don't want every racing game going down the photorealistic Polyphony Digital route. Playground Games' use of colour appears to be deliberate, and gives the game an vibrant, almost Outrun 2 like look. I think it fits well with the game's theme (maybe not as well as Horizon 1's use of colour though). Having every racer looking the same (which using the same lighting approach would cause) would be pretty boring imo.

This, so much.
Striving for photorealism is a natural approach and it does create the wow effect, but it's in no way the only acceptable definition for beautiful graphics.

It's also worth noting Forza Horizon is all about the festive atmosphere (music festival, cheering crowds, showcase events, etc.), so it makes even more sense to have colorful graphics.

To me FH2 looks like a "videogame", it didn't gave me the wow feel. But it seems very fun and enjoyable.

DC looks simply stunning, it's very "next-gen".

Hoo-doo

Banned
FH2 indeed looks "gamey".
But I think PG deliberately didn't shoot for photorealism to achieve their open-world ambitions. And they succeeded in doing just that.
The cars look a little floaty, the lighting is a bit flat and the colours seem exaggerated.
But the IQ is great and everything looks sharp as hell.

DC's tracks are obviously more constrained but it really enables Evolution to push the visuals and effects to another level. The cars feel grounded and powerful and the environments and lighting effects are unmatched. Triggers "wow" centers in my brain.

I think, regardless of what current-gen console you own, you're in for a racing treat this year.

Caddle

I don't get the flat lighting comments for fh2. The game looks Phenomenal. Obviously they went for a different approach to lighting the game world, I don't want everything looking the same. HOrizon is a testament of the xbone capability and the forza engine after all the bullshit about dynamic lighting.

I don't get the flat lighting comments for fh2. The game looks Phenomenal. Obviously they went for a different approach to lighting the game world, I don't want everything looking the same. HOrizon is a testament of the xbone capability and the forza engine after all the bullshit about dynamic lighting.

Yeah, I'm not agreeing with the lighting comments, myself, but DC is a looker, no doubt. For my preference, I like racing/driving games to be free to escape from the plainer, more grounded visual reality that Forza vanilla and GT go for and, IMO, that works better with more unrealistic nature of past arcade-sim hybrids, like FH1.

IMO, the tenuous and intermittent video game illusion of reality is only important in those things that affect the gameplay experience and not just how it looks because I'll always know it's a fucking video game while I'm playing it. Why bother with color-corrected and desaturated cinematic realism since that's not important in any way to the real-time gameplay experience? So what that it looks perhaps more realistic in a video you're watching. I want replayability and dynamic appearance which both DC and FH2 offer, but one offers much more because of its focus on a larger number of cars, tracks, and a greater freedom in how to drive. That's much more important to me for the long-term appeal of playing a game over time because the game's visuals are more unified with its actual gameplay. So, in a competition over what looks like it could be included with a realistic CG movie, DC could possibly be much better to choose, but I want the color in games I play to pop (even unrealistically so), the spectacle to be far beyond what we see in reality, all so that the net effect is to make me feel some sense of the ideal of the act of driving. Video games aren't reality nor are they movies, so why treat them with the same expectations and limit them by doing so? Neither DC nor FH2 are realistic car sims, though I guess FH2 does offer the same Forza physics sim optional assists and damage modeling, I guess I prefer the arcade-look of games versus the camera-simulation look because what I experience in these games isn't something that matches a more realistic look and when these highly unrealistic moments occur, they don't stand in such stark contrast with the visual style and instead feel appropriate to it.

shandy706

I messed around on the ring last night. Large Gifs (huge lol, give them time to load) for now...and a couple shots on track.

itrxnq.gif

cnfznv.gif

gysnki.jpg

pkrdcl.jpg

Edit* Derp...wrong thread/tab. At least the subject matter matches..guess I'll leave it.

While Forza 5 looks good in certain instances it really is no match for other racing games, outdated static lighting model, X-trees and 2D backdrops everywhere. it looks good in motion but if you stop and take a good look at the scenery it all falls apart. And I don't know the reasons for it, whether it's xbone's weak hardware to pull off 1080p/60fps, short dev time or general lack of talent. It's all sad for me as a Forza fan.

No other racing game that looks better has been RELEASED yet. One should expect non-rushed racers, coming out after it, to look better. The game has insanely detailed tracks. There are plenty of fully 3D trees on tracks too.

Now the Ring...yeah, there's a MASSIVE mix of 2D and 3D trees. Heck, even 30fps games like DC use 2D trees at a distance. PCars uses TONS of 2D trees (although it isn't out yet). In fact..I've yet to see a racer that doesn't implement 2D trees (even those with LOD 3D trees).

The shots above are from the Ring. There are hundreds of thousands of trees on that track. It's the best looking Ring to date. I've not played a single game to this point that has a Ring that looks this good.

The game looks great, even sitting still, for a 60fps sim.

Have you stopped and looked at the scenery in PCars on PC?? Some of it makes F5 look god-like...

ShamePain

Banned
While Forza 5 looks good in certain instances it really is no match for other racing games, outdated static lighting model, X-trees and 2D backdrops everywhere. it looks good in motion but if you stop and take a good look at the scenery it all falls apart. And I don't know the reasons for it, whether it's xbone's weak hardware to pull off 1080p/60fps, short dev time or general lack of talent. It's all sad for me as a Forza fan.

shandy706

Some night race comparisons

tztqth.jpg

DkuNH0f.jpg

Not much one can compare there.

The only similar image (the two lone cars in the dark) does have one discrepancy.

The tail lights in the Driveclub image aren't casting light or reflecting off the asphalt. They are in the Horizon 2 shot.

benzy

Not much one can compare there.

The only similar image (the two lone cars in the dark) does have one discrepancy.

The tail lights in the Driveclub image aren't casting light or reflecting off the asphalt. They are in the Horizon 2 shot.

Wonder what build that's from, cause the tail lights in Driveclub do cast lights onto the road, and this is from a much older build.

driveclub-delayed.jpg

And not only that, but in the latest screens light also casts onto the bumpers, spoiler, pretty much any object near the light source. The game utilizes real-time global illumination, it's why the environmental lighting looks so natural; it allows for a realistic way for dynamic lights to bounce off all objects in the game. People can complain this is from photomode, but any racing fan knows photomode doesn't add better lighting effects. Just supersampling the resolution for top notch image quality.

Driveclub_2014_06-11-14_015.jpg

ShamePain

Banned
No other racing game that looks better has been RELEASED yet. One should expect non-rushed racers, coming out after it, to look better. The game has insanely detailed tracks. There are plenty of fully 3D trees on tracks too.

Now the Ring...yeah, there's a MASSIVE mix of 2D and 3D trees. Heck, even 30fps games like DC use 2D trees at a distance. PCars uses TONS of 2D trees (although it isn't out yet). In fact..I've yet to see a racer that doesn't implement 2D trees (even those with LOD 3D trees).

The shots above are from the Ring. There are hundreds of thousands of trees on that track. It's the best looking Ring to date. I've not played a single game to this point that has a Ring that looks this good.

The game looks great, even sitting still, for a 60fps sim.

Have you stopped and looked at the scenery in PCars on PC?? Some of it makes F5 look god-like...

Yeah, I agree that it's the best looking ring out there and probably the most accurate given that it's the only laser-scanned version in existence. But I guess I kind of expected more from nextgen racers. I haven't played PCars yet as I'm waiting for release this fall and will probably get the PS4 version if it runs at 1080p/60fps. But then you have to forgive PCars for worse trackside detail since it has dynamic ToD/Weather and Forza doesn't. GT's version would look good if it wasn't for horrible shadows and HDR, it literally makes my eyes hurt during daytime lol. I hope that PD announces PS4 remaster of GT6 at TGS, it desperately needs it. Overall, Forza 5 is probably the best looking simracer at the moment, but it still kinda bothers me that not much has improved in regards to trees and such since PS2 days.

shandy706

Wonder what build that's from, cause the tail lights in Driveclub do cast lights onto the road, and this is from a much older build.

I was pretty sure it did based on other videos we've seen.

I was actually unsure if it was a DC shot at all...the reflectors were the only thing that made me think it was....as I remember them from videos.

Looks like a shot from some kind of Alpha build.

Hey GAF. I am the guy who made that PCARS video of which you can see the GIF in the first post. I wanted to make a comparsion between different graphics settings in Project CARS and their impact on performance. I left Fraps on so you can see the fps counter.

Here is 1440p ultra settings

Videos demonstrating high, medium and low settings are also on my channel.

ShamePain

Banned
Hey GAF. I am the guy who made that PCARS video of which you can see the GIF in the first post. I wanted to make a comparsion between different graphics settings in Project CARS and their impact on performance. I left Fraps on so you can see the fps counter.

Here is 1440p ultra settings

Videos demonstrating high, medium and low settings are also on my channel.

One thing that looks weird is that road surface is like a lake - basically perfectly smooth reflective surface, whilst in DC and FH2 you can see that water is unevenly spread across the road, forming puddles of water in which scenery is reflected. Looks much better that way, I hope SMS tweak this stuff before release.

Top Bottom