• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

GYNGA

Not much one can compare there.

The only similar image (the two lone cars in the dark) does have one discrepancy.

The tail lights in the Driveclub image aren't casting light or reflecting off the asphalt. They are in the Horizon 2 shot.
Yes there's not much detail in these two shots but you can still compare art style, lighting and overall look at night time.

Also the tail lights DO reflect on asphalt in the DC shot. It's very very faint though, I'm not sure why since the scene is so dark. The reflection is quite far from the car itself so it could be that Gran Turismo's tail lights are designed in such a way that they only cast light horizontally so not much of it hits the ground.

The one annoying thing in the DC shot is that there are two little spots on the bumper that reflect tail lights while the rest of the bumper doesn't. I assume it's a glitch since there should be no reflection at all or it should be spread across the whole bumper. You can see the same thing in the gif. Cannot unsee :(

Talking about Horizon 2, one thing that is really off-putting to me (in the gif especially) is that moonlight reflects on the diffuser/lower part of the rear bumper even when the source of light is coming from the front of the car. Also the skybox is quite ugly in my opinion, it looks artificial. Especially the moon.

Hey GAF. I am the guy who made that PCARS video of which you can see the GIF in the first post. I wanted to make a comparsion between different graphics settings in Project CARS and their impact on performance. I left Fraps on so you can see the fps counter.

Here is 1440p ultra settings

Videos demonstrating high, medium and low settings are also on my channel.

Game looks gorgeous on PC, too bad the scenery pop in is distracting at times. Well the game isn't out yet, after all.

Anyway, I guess this is a great time for racing fans, we have 4 racing games coming out shortly, and each of them is different. FH2 is an open world racer, as is The Crew, but they have different focus, DC is a circuit racer focused on social aspects and, well, clubs, and PC is a sim. There's something for everyone. :)

RetroStu

Banned
I posted this in another thread but would probably be better here -

I saw a couple of streaming demos of Drive Club at E3 and it looks amazing, that Chile track (i think it was Chile) looked ridiculous. Imo this blows away Project Cars as that game still looks like a videogame imo while Drive Club looks like movie cgi or something.
One of the most impressive games i have ever seen, the lighting is just out of this world

meta4

I posted this in another thread but would probably be better here -

I saw a couple of streaming demos of Drive Club at E3 and it looks amazing, that Chile track (i think it was Chile) looked ridiculous. Imo this blows away Project Cars as that game still looks like a videogame imo while Drive Club looks like movie cgi or something.
One of the most impressive games i have ever seen, the lighting is just out of this world

Good to hear! Drive Club does indeed look gorgeous!

shandy706

Posting this just for fun and the car/Ferrari lovers. It's from a session last night.

Burning off my rear tires.

phuswq.jpg

I have played all the games in OP but I have yet to play NFS Rivals. Is it worth it? Any good deals out there? Which current gen console should I get it for X1 or PS4?

Fonds

It's a bit sad that all the racers that are coming out in the coming months are so hyper car oriented.

I love racers like forza and GT that have a huge selection and variety in cars to drive.

Gestault

Specular reflection from headlights on cars in front of You, very neat feature, but probably not dynamic.

In what way would one be distinct from the other that would be clear in gameplay? Either way, the technique they're using is effective in the new footage with nighttime and dusk racing.

Gestault

Pretty sure the top video is using footage from the FH2 Gamescom demo.

You can see an example of the lay over edit here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgncszEn3ZU

You may be right. I recognized the cliffside from the original media reveals and thought it was the same segment. I think it's likely to be the old demo still (even if it was used as Gamescom), only because it's the exact time of day, weather and location. With the behind-the-scenes of the current build, it wasn't locked into any particular scenarios (which was part of what they were showing off).

I say, got'DANG that looks good.

KKRT00

In what way would one be distinct from the other that would be clear in gameplay? Either way, the technique they're using is effective in the new footage with nighttime and dusk racing.

Easily, i would get npc vehicle next to my and check if it 'casts' specular reflections too.

Gestault

Easily, i would get npc vehicle next to my and check if it 'casts' specular reflections too.

I guess I'd need you to describe what you mean by the visual difference. And do you mean not dynamic, or just only processed for the player car? The sort of reflection you seemed to be describing is something you'd primarily see from the point of view of the light source looking at the reflection.

Pretty sure the top video is using footage from the FH2 Gamescom demo.

You can see an example of the lay over edit here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgncszEn3ZU

It's really poorly chosen, however, since in that clip the rain is just stopping and quickly transitioning into sunny weather. It's scripted for demonstration purposes on that relatively short track, there's much better footage available now.

By the way, is Driveclub's weather still coming via a patch or have there been any changes on that front?

KKRT00

I guess I'd need you to describe what you mean by the visual difference. And do you mean not dynamic, or just only processed for the player car? The sort of reflection you seemed to be describing is something you'd primarily see from the point of view of the light source looking at the reflection.

In this case its the same. You can prebake it for player car, because player car is always in the same place on screen, where for cars next to You, You would not have this reference.
You would have to cast rays from that car into cars in front of it and then calculate the angle of reflection in relation to players camera to calculate correct shape of a reflection.
It is doable, but would be much more costly.

Micerider

They look and play differently enough for me to justify both purchases. Driveclub is more impressive in what it achieves visually, but Forza Horizon 2 is more "kind to the eye" ("sweeter", more colorful, flashier).

It's better like that, they are not competing in my eyes, they are complimentary.

Gestault

They look and play differently enough for me to justify both purchases. Driveclub is more impressive in what it achieves visually, but Forza Horizon 2 is more "kind to the eye" ("sweeter", more colorful, flashier).

It's better like that, they are not competing in my eyes, they are complimentary.

The end of this year is going to be incredible for racing titles. I feel here like I did a few years ago when fighting games sort of picked up again.

nOoblet16

In this case its the same. You can prebake it for player car, because player car is always in the same place on screen, where for cars next to You, You would not have this reference.
You would have to cast rays from that car into cars in front of it and then calculate the angle of reflection in relation to players camera to calculate correct shape of a reflection.
It is doable, but would be much more costly.

Not quite, it isn't like GT where the car never leaves its position on screen even when turning. What I am saying is that in Horizon you can have the camera facing the same way but the car facing away from the centre of the screen while turning. Of course this does not applies when you are playing from hood camera in that case the headlight will always point the same direction no matter what.

They could simply be doing a dynamic cube map to match the car head lamp.

MarkV

Specular reflection from headlights on cars in front of You, very neat feature, but probably not dynamic.

The headlights are normal dynamic lights, therefore you have their specular reflections. Nothing really fancy about it.

RyudBoy

The lighting in DriveClub seems to be on another level compared to Horizon 2. The same could be said about the weather system, and to a lesser extent, the reflections on the cars. That being said, Horizon 2 still looks insanely gorgeous, and I can't wait to play it on Sept 30th.

The lighting in DriveClub seems to be on another level compared to Horizon 2. The same could be said about the weather system, and to a lesser extent, the reflections on the cars. That being said, Horizon 2 still looks insanely gorgeous, and I can't wait to play it on Sept 30th.

I believe Driveclub is using Global Illumination.

Arcadehero

Neo Member
Need some true coin-op arcade racers here ;) (Cropped my gifs to 640x480 since they run smoother in that rez for some reason)

Overtake by IGS. This is available worldwide, the game itself runs in 1080p. Interesting mechanic of "dodging" events, supposed to be like racing in a stunt car.

overtake_2.gif

overtake_3.gif

Storm Racer G by Wahlap. Sega has been selling this to Western markets since the beginning of the year. A motion seat version is slated to come along by the end of the year. The game takes a page from Ridge Racer, has a webcam avatar function.

srg_1.gif

ShamePain

Banned
Draw distances are impressive in both, but Forza is more impressive since you can actually drive to anything you see in the background, DC can still get away with low-res artwork in the distance since players have no way of reaching those areas.

Draw distances are impressive in both, but Forza is more impressive since you can actually drive to anything you see in the background, DC can still get away with low-res artwork in the distance since players have no way of reaching those areas.

"You can just about see the curvature of the earth, certainly if the cloud is high," Alex Perkins, the game's art director tells us. "They render at least out to 260km. And that's all geometry, there's no background painting.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/devil-s-in-the-details-why-driveclub-might-finally-be-the-next-gen-we-were-promised-1251681

I'd recommend anyone who is interested in DC to give that a read. The level of detail and depth this game has is insane.

^ Both look equally good in that comparison, I feel. You can see more of Driveclub's HDR at work than Forza's due to the sun peeking through the clouds in DC, whereas Horizon is completely overcast in that gif.

pixlexic

Banned
So from this thread the one sure thing I have learned is racing games looks great when the time of day is either right at dawn or dusk, :)

Rainy GIF comparison of Gamescom footage from both.

iCkgNAKWDk9h2.gif

ExcellentAnguishedBluegill.gif

The DC footage is an amazing grab. The Sun is reflecting off the ground, the footage is sharper, higher quality... it's the perfect GIF. That's not to take away anything from DC, but we really can't compare those gifs, luckily the Horizon 2 one at least has some rain in it, that's about the only thing that can really compare, but the lighting situation is completely different and incomparable.

I suppose if the mountains were on the right, and the sun was reflecting the same way as in DC, we would have a better compare. Will have to wait until both games are out I guess.

nib95

Banned
^ Both look equally good in that comparison, I feel. You can see more of Driveclub's HDR at work than Forza's due to the sun peeking through the clouds in DC, whereas Horizon is completely overcast in that gif.

In all honesty, comparing the two GIF's above, I'd imagine Driveclub looks how Forza Horizon 3 or 4 may eventually look. There are just so many things in just those few short seconds in the GIF's above alone that Driveclub does better. I mean, to me it's a near generational leap in fidelity.

I get that it's not necessarily a fair comparison because A.) The scenario's and tracks are different, B.) One game is open world whilst the other isn't, C.) The games are still yet to be released and D.) One is running on better hardware. In any case, here's a list of things that I feel DC does better just comparing the two GIF's above.

- The overall lighting just looks far superior.
- Much greater dynamic range.
- Much more scenic textural variety and far more surrounding geometry.
- Higher poly environments, and possibly vehicles.
- The actual vehicle exterior body shaders/material properties look more realistic.
- Better rear tail light detailing and material properties.
- Greater quantity of higher geometry and more dense foliage and tree's.
- Considerably greater visible draw distance and scope.
- Far better surrounding textures and mountain rock surface properties.
- Much better road surface detailing and properties, puddles, markings etc.
- Fully 3D volumetric light affected clouds.
- No slow morphing visible LOD shifts the way the FH2 tree's load.
- All vehicles leave more accurate water tyre streaks and marks.
- Distant fog and mist has greater graduation and levels of transparency.
- What looks to be more detailed and accurate side mirror reflections.
- Superior overall shadowing (especially left by AI cars).
- Superior overall reflections (especially left by AI cars, on puddles etc).
- Better post processing and effects, such as rain kick up and spray, rain trickling/streaking across glass, the car body etc.
- What looks like a much higher application of anisotropic filtering.

(Captured for another thread from the previously behind-the-scenes gameplay of Forza Horizon 2.)

iqULjYXnzL76j.gif

irUcIG1Ky4cyQ.gif

iTxUJW5DPYx7y.gif

ier58BmagtBym.gif

Rainy GIF comparison of Gamescom footage from both.

iCkgNAKWDk9h2.gif

ExcellentAnguishedBluegill.gif

These are all insane. Im so glad racers are back. Even thoug my favorite franchise in racing [Burn Out and Midnight club :( ] are no longer. These three are getting me pumped. I love the photo realism and the sense of speed in DR. I love the off road and open feeling to FH2 and the graphics and car choices for Project Cars are insane. All that's missing here is The Crew. Does anyone know if there was any Gamescom direct gameplay of that?

Top Bottom