• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

ShamePain

Banned
What's your point? It's a fantastic model considering that it's an in-race model.

How do you know it's in-race?

Again, some actual screen grab from DC and the leap isn't so great anymore. Video compression hides a lot of flaws.
isvpdHsN0ksKe.png

Caddle

Yes let us know how you can pick up all that detail from such a tiny gif, then explain the different camera angle, different car models and different track scenery. Let,s hear how you made that comparison.

nib95

Banned
They're 250k polygons each, GT5/6 are 500k, Forza 5's are 1 million, so no.
Lol, no. That's what they claim but it isn't strictly true. Only Forza Autovista models are close to that kind of poly count. In actual gameplay GT5 car models are closer to 100k-200k (500k is only for other modes), Forza 4's 60k, and Forza 5's supposedly all LOD0 models at around 170k. DriveClub's gameplay models are reported to be 250k.

How do you know it's in-race?

Again, some actual screen grab from DC and the leap isn't so great anymore. Video compression hides a lot of flaws.
These screens, despite not being that old, are actually from a very old build. No point using them as a basis for anything given we have video footage from newer builds of these games.

ShamePain

Banned
Lol, no. That's what they claim but it isn't strictly true. Only Forza Autovista models are close to that kind of poly count. In actual gameplay GT5 car models are closer to 100k-200k (500k is only for other modes), Forza 4's 60k, and Forza 5's supposedly all LOD0 models at around 170k. DriveClub's gameplay models are reported to be 250k.

These screens are from a very old build. No point using them as a basis for anything given we have video footage from newer builds of these games.

They've said their models have 250k in total, but nobody said it was in-game LOD.

shandy706

I think your LOD0 comment is thinking of the wrong game. 170k LOD0 (photomode) was Forza 4 wasn't it. With LOD1 (racing) at like 60k.

That's just from memory though. Could be off, my memory is blurry.

Do we even know the LOD0/1 of Forza 5? I've not seen it.

I know they said F4 Autovista was in game prototyping for Forza 5. No idea how close they are.

ShamePain

Banned
It's funny how we argue about graphics now when a little over a decade ago cars in games looked like this. Legit square wheels lol.
R4IkqEf.png

Caddle

She can laugh all she want but you know that comparison is flawed because the camera and angle in DC bring the car and the environments closer to the player view. Where in fh2 the view need to be farther away since you can drive anywhere and you wouldn't be able to see the different roads ahead if the camera was so close.

She can laugh all she want but you know that comparison is flawed because the camera and angle in DC bring the car and the environments closer to the player view. Where in fh2 the view need to be farther away since you can drive anywhere and you wouldn't be able to see the different roads ahead if the camera was so close.

What? One looks better than the other, I didn't talk about angles and cameras. Which doesn't really affect graphics anyhow. If you had said FH2 was open world while DC was closed course however...

nib95

Banned
They've said their models have 250k in total, but nobody said it was in-game LOD.

The 250k quote is for gameplay model.

I think your LOD0 comment is thinking of the wrong game. 170k LOD0 (photomode) was Forza 4 wasn't it. With LOD1 (racing) at like 60k.

That's just from memory though. Could be off, my memory is blurry.

Do we even know the LOD0/1 of Forza 5? I've not seen it.

I know they said F4 Autovista was in game prototyping for Forza 5. No idea how close they are.

I remember one of the Forza fan GAFers on here gave me more precise numbers once. I believe he said there was still an lod and that it went down to as low as it did in Forza 4 in fact. Problem is I can't find the post now which is why I made no mention of it.

Point is, with actual gameplay models, DriveClub is currently the most detailed. The console versions of ProjectCars will use 60k poly models so they don't even really come close.

Putty

DC looks like a step above anything IMO. It really does look absolutely nuts! FH2 looks great, no doubt but I just think DC is more of a technical show stopper. I'll be interesting to see how Project Cars turns out on console...

Trace

Banned
The 250k quote is for gameplay model.

I remember one of the Forza fan GAFers on here gave me more precise numbers once. I believe he said there was still an lod and that it went down to as low as it did in Forza 4 in fact. Problem is I can't find the post now which is why I made no mention of it.

Point is, with actual gameplay models, DriveClub is currently the most detailed. The console versions of ProjectCars will use 60k poly models so they don't even really come close.

Maybe it was this?

The only exact thing I can find polygon count wise.

Drive Club has a nicer sense of presentation. It's the spiffier arcade racer. No one metric like polygon count is going to take the whole cake.

Wish the consoles could handle more AA.

Forza looks good considering the weaker hardware and open world, however being open world is a negative in my book. Imo it hinders racers by making tracks more like straight roads with less emphasis on racing.

There is a place for them but if you are a racing fan its not exactly excelling in that area. I'd take tracks any day, no genre benefits less from being open world.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's funny how we argue about graphics now when a little over a decade ago cars in games looked like this. Legit square wheels lol.
R4IkqEf.png
Cars in games never looked like this - that's a once-famous LOD glitch from Enter the Matrix.

ShamePain

Banned
Well done, with one choice shot you've managed to show everyone why they should stop discussing this topic with you.

This is precisely what cars looked like ten years ago in GT4, the screenshot is from GT5 of course just to show it in high resolution. I don't see the problem.

wow....just wow

Both games look to have unremarkable AI, which isn't unusual for their respective devs.

I can confirm in FH2's case, that Drivatar's are a fantastic addition and really make a difference. The build I played had me racing against the devs, so was hard, especially as it was my first time. I finished last on my first attempt, but regained some pride on my 2nd attempt and finished 7th. Ralph Fulton was present at the time and said only one guy had finished 1st all day. Obviously the skills of the drivatar's will represent your friends list, but that's on you ;)

GYNGA

Forza looks good considering the weaker hardware and open world <..>
Can somebody explain me why being open world racer plays a relatively big role when it comes to performance? I mean, it's not like you drive inside small corridors in Driveclub, you actually have detailed surroundings and beautiful vistas all around.

Serious question

God I fucking hate the F40's lights in Forza, brings the model down. They fixed the front up lovely so why stop there?

Probably why you picked it for a comparison.

le-seb

While I do think Driveclub looks really good, I dont think actual gameplay does not look as good as the gif/part where the game seems to be in "Photomode".
So you're thinking the game will actually look like this when played, huh?
Double negatives, how do they work? ^^

AFAIK, there's no such thing as a photo mode in DriveClub, in the way replays are better looking than actual races, like in GT or FM.
What's been used here seems to be the same debug tool they used to produce the re-reveal trailer back in the spring.

Can somebody explain me why being open world racer plays a relatively big role when it comes to performance? I mean, it's not like you drive inside small corridors in Driveclub, you actually have detailed surroundings and beautiful vistas all around.

Serious question
My understanding is that on crafted closed tracks, you can always master and keep the number of polygons shown and the quantity of textures to load into memory consistent, whereas in open worlds, the player's will to go wherever he wants could lead to situations where there would be too many polygons to be shown or too many textures to load at once, leading to drops in framerate and/or late texture pop in. One way to prevent this kind of problem is to keep the overall number of polygons and the quality/size of textures on the lower side.

So say well.

But how can she see any difference in such tiny gifs, the camera adds 10lbs and is closer.

Clearly DC is barely any better than GT1.

If you have a camera at that height it's way less demanding than the height of FH2's camera. Everyone knows this. Oh, and the environments are closer so...you know.

Can I play too? Photo mode face off: FM5 vs GT6.

broken links

Guess not haha

Pimpwerx

While I do think Driveclub looks really good, I dont think actual gameplay does not look as good as the gif/part where the game seems to be in "Photomode".

ExcellentAnguishedBluegill.gif
The gif is from gameplay. Every game has a behind car camera angle.

I'm not sure why or how anyone can say FH2 looks as good as DC, or even all that close. I only own a PS4, but I couldn't care less about graphics and call a spade a spade. DC looks a lot better than FH2 in all media released. When it was first shown, people said the teasers looked way too good to be true and that the final game would never look like that. The final game is starting to look like that teaser now. I don't see the parity. PEACE.

kyser73

So you're thinking the game will actually look like this when played, huh?
Double negatives, how do they work? ^^

AFAIK, there's no such thing as a photo mode in DriveClub, in the way replays are better looking than actual races, like in GT or FM.
What's been used here seems to be the same debug tool they used to produce the re-reveal trailer back in the spring.

Rushy replied 'Maybe ;)' when asked if that was photomode on Twitter. There're a couple of screen caps in one of the GC DC threads.

Top Bottom