• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

SpokkX

Wait this is not just a level based action game like DMC or Bayonetta?

Loved what i played but there is a Zelda/openworldish aspect to the game too? Really?? Sounds amazing in that case

NoKisum

Been seeing the game talked about here and there, but haven't really given it much thought. I'll give the demo a try to see what it's all about.

If I decide to get the full game, do I have to go pick up the previous Nier and the Drakengard games to understand what's going on here?

Hektor

We are all allowed to be wrong every now and again.

At least you admit it. :>

Been seeing the game talked about here and there, but haven't really given it much thought. I'll give the demo a try to see what it's all about.

If I decide to get the full game, do I have to go pick up the previous Nier and the Drakengard games to understand what's going on here?

They're intriguing games and the first Nier is certainly worth your while, but you don't have to.

dreamstation

Gold Member
Can't say that I have been following it's development but I just played the demo and loved every second of it. Really, I can't wait to play more. The combat, the smoothness of the gameplay, the music were all great. Really interested to learn more about the world and what's going on with it. Overall just a fantastic introduction to the game basically. Well done.

My only gripes with the game weren't about the gameplay itself, rather the presentation. Not really a fan of the grey bars during cutscenes and how the voice waits for the insanely slow text to appear on screen. I know you can press a button to make it instantly appear but it would be better if it was just faster to begin with like most other games.

GOOCHY

There's good and just okay here - the movement is nice, it has kind of standard action RPG fare for combat/combos, the shooting portions I don't really get much from. You just kind of hold R1 and spray unlimited ammo. ...OK? I don't see that as being a super great gameplay device. Overall this strikes me as decent - not great.

taoofjord

Shit. The game is so good! Still hoping we see some impressive environments but the gameplay is good enough that either way I should still have a great time. Love the way they designed the level with the 3D areas transitioning into different 2D perspectives.

Bladenic

Well shit. Now I want this game. That demo was fucking dope. So fun. Never played a Yoko Taro game or played the original but I want to play this game after this demo. Great demo showcase TBH.

The translucent black wars are awful though.

Dantis

Gosh, that was good. Feels more Nier than I had expected.
Also feels so much more polished than Rising. Combat is smooth as silk.

Labolas

Fuck me, this feels amazing. I have to adjust to the bullet hell sections but besides fucking sold. It isn't Bayonetta levels of depth but I don't care, it just feels great to play. I want to play more. Fuck, March can't come soon enough.

Fuck me, this feels amazing. I have to adjust to the bullet hell sections but besides fucking sold. It isn't Bayonetta levels of depth but I don't care, it just feels great to play. I want to play more. Fuck, March can't come soon enough.

Yeah, depth doesn't inherently make something "better." I also prefer the combat in this game to Bayonetta because I can actually see what the fuck is happening on screen.

cLOUDo

Wait this is not just a level based action game like DMC or Bayonetta?

Loved what i played but there is a Zelda/openworldish aspect to the game too? Really?? Sounds amazing in that case

dbae49844c9eefaecf7a961d2e5a9802.gif

DigtialT

Like most other character action games that feature guns? Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are pretty much the same, albeit use a face button for unlimited bullet spray instead of R1.

Yeah but in those you had to choose between attacking and shooting, in this demo the robot can shoot forever independent to your actions.

Kambing

I never got the chance to play Nier, but have played all other Platinum games aside from W101. I love the combat in most all their games.

Even though this demo does not appear as deep as Bayonetta, knowing full well it is an RPG has me beyond excited. Finally something this gen comes along that ticks all the boxes for me. Great combat, RPG elements, awesome graphics, scale and 60 FPS.

Hype is through the roof, and i only experienced Normal difficulty!

Wowie! Wasn't expecting anything going and had no idea what this game was about but damn. Looking forward to March. I'll have to do some reading up on the story cause I'm like what the hell is going on?

I have no idea how anyone can play this on Very Hard (one hit death) though! Insane!

Christhor

Yeah but in those you had to choose between attacking and shooting, in this demo the robot can shoot forever independent to your actions.

It is pretty weird, as far as I can remember you couldn't shoot with Weiss in the original and also attack at the same time. It also slowed the game down (on purpose), so nobody would really want to use it for that long.

It was good but imperfect especially with how superfluous or broken the Gear system ends up as. (The fact the Nier has more staggered Upgrades makes me less nervous for that system balance wise, but I'm still concerned nonetheless).

Every character action game has broken and OP moves or ststems, fron Bayonetta to NG, so it's par for the course in the genre. Not a big problem because you don't have to use them if you don't want to. This being an ARPG might change that though. It's a different genre. I would agree that TF wasn't perfect, but its core gameplay systems were excellent. Saur's video breakdowns of the combat are all you need in that regard. It was better than any licensed budget game had the right to be.

My problem with the shooting is you really aren't penalized in any way for holding down the button, so why wouldn't you? I mean, aside from it getting tiring after a while.

leng jai

This is sick but did they really go with the transparent black bars again for the cutscenes? Really? They serve no purpose at all aside from looking stupid.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Gameplay is great, my main problem is with some of the top down segments, where it's hard to tell what's going on and what the enemy is doing.

I also hope they vary up enemy positioning a little bit. Sometimes they just drop enemies down in a line, equally spaced out, and it feels a little... weird?

Just before the enemies attack their eyes flash red. I was having trouble with the top down view as well, until I realised that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well that was amazing. Better than I imagined it would be, and I had high hopes with Platinum taking the reigns.

If we get a story on par with Neir on top of that gameplay this is going to be incredible.

There's good and just okay here - the movement is nice, it has kind of standard action RPG fare for combat/combos, the shooting portions I don't really get much from. You just kind of hold R1 and spray unlimited ammo. ...OK? I don't see that as being a super great gameplay device. Overall this strikes me as decent - not great.
What other action RPGs play like this?

That was really good for what it was, and solidified my confidence that Platinum is handling this right with the perspective shifts and the bits of combat variety we've already seen. I get the feeling this is the opening like they tend to do with their demos, so I can't wait to see what the game gets up to it as it goes along.

DAMN FINE. The music is like XBX but good, the combat is platinum, the graphics are amazing, the camera angles are superb. fucking ecstasy right here.

day zero.

Top Bottom