• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR Automata PS4 demo available now

hiryu

This demo was awesome and then I come here and find out this is an RPG? I'm definitely in. I just thought this was an action game like DMC.

Tohsaka

Could someone remind me why this is exclusive? I enjoyed the original on the 360.

SE hasn't really been releasing most of their recent games on Xbox other than FFXV, they seem to have pretty much given up on the platform. I'm not expecting them to release any of their other Japanese games on it other than Kingdom Hearts 3 since it was announced already.

Eggbok

I love how 2B runs. She's definitely hauling ass with that dash.

giphy.gif

Satch

Banned
2b's jogging animation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> yalls fave

also i played it with no weapons B)

i hope that scales well in the real game cuz i kinda want to go through the whole game like that, not that theres anything wrong with the weapons or anything

UrbanRats

This is it.
After a very abysmal year (in general for sure, but I'm talking gaming here) I was really down on videogames.
This demo is definitely what I needed, I haven't felt this thrilled by playing a game in a long while.

I came at this from the Bayonetta side of the family, never played Nier (likely never will) but even then I always enjoyed character action games on a more superficial level, as I'm a scrub, so the jump from something like that, to something like this, isn't as drastic in depth as it could be for a more hardcore action game fan.

Honestly I loved every inch of this demo.

The Bayonetta-lite gameplay.
The bullet hell diversions.
The goddamn ANIMATIONS.
The Yoshida character design (2b > Bayonetta).
The 60fps.
The Kenji Kawai style music (Not liking it, is ignore list worthy).
The general premise and art direction of the world.
The boss and enemy design, reminiscent of Ashley Wood's works.
The
flying mecha
The
arm you use against the boss.
Even the banter between the androids was alright.

Yeah this is it, I'm happy to feel that veil of cynicism lift somewhat and I'm happy that, for once, I'm hyped by actually playing something, rather than building up expectations from a trailer.

Downside: I'm getting it on PC, so I'll have to wait longer than most. :(

So googling around for some random automata info and I come across an interview where they mention they will have 40-50ish weapons. Not sure how I feel about that... I think I prefer action games that have less weapons but more variation between them.

I'm assuming what we'll end up getting will be +5 damage and fire damage type stufff for the Rogers RPG aspect though.

EDIT: auto-correct on mobile got me on Rogers --> RPG (yes i was aware that the game is an RPG/action hybrid)

Hektor

Labolas

So googling around for some random automata info and I come across an interview where they mention they will have 40-50ish weapons. Not sure how I feel about that... I think I prefer action games that have less weapons but more variation between them.

I'm assuming what we'll end up getting will be +5 damage and fire damage type stufff for the Rogers aspect though.

If I had to guess there'll be 4-5 weapon types with different skins/affinities to them.

Baalzebup

I'm assuming what we'll end up getting will be +5 damage and fire damage type stufff for the Rogers aspect though.
Fuck the stats and unique attacks, it's all about those Weapon Stories™

Like this little gem from Drakengard 2 (honestly, one of the good parts of that damn slog of a game)

Glory’s Bane

Level 1
Once upon a time, on a warm spring day, an evil dragon attacked a palace. He killed the royal family, the palace guard, and even the court jester, just because he felt like it. Satisfied with his work, the dragon settled down for a nap in the throne room, and it was then that a little girl walked in, holding a sword. She shook the dragon awake.

Level 2.
She asked, “Could you tell me where the king is, please? I have to kill him.” Rather taken back, the dragon replies, “I’ve already eaten him.” Hearing this, the little girl bow politely and said “Thank you very much!” Puzzled by her appreciation, the dragon asked, “Why do you thank me, little girl?”

Level 3.
The girl replied, “The king you ate was not the true king. My dead mummy told me that he took the palace from my daddy. That’s why I had to kill him – to get my palace back!” The little girl wasn’t lying either. She really was the rightful heir to the throne.

Level 4.
The girl continued, “Now I’m Queen, I’m going to kill all the people who let my daddy die!” The dragon laughed and said,” Very well, little Queen. Then I shall bestow my power upon you and your sword.” So they exchanged their beating hearts. Then the little girl took her sword, slaughtered everyone, and lived happily aver after.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Not an action game. This is an RPG, where the previous Yoko Taro games had very large amount of weapons as well.

Also...i've been listening to the vocal battle theme since this morning....jesus this music some of my favorite in a game this year

I love how they are reusing the same Nier style of having ambient music and then transitioning to vocals for more intense battle scenes, it feels so smooth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11yt07zTqlI&list=PLstXdGXEYegd0s3lVsI6UG1B0im_BYB4I&index=4

This game is an RPG. Those myriad of weapons will each fit into a category that all share the same basic moveset. The only difference will be stats, effects, attack speed, and maybe some will have a special move or two

Raptor

Reminder, Yoko Taro never makes the same game twice. I wouldn't be shocked if he did a happy ending just because he's never done it before and had his own take on it.

A happy ending for some alien civilization in wich they accomplish victory murdering every human and destroying all Androids.

Sounds happy I agree.

xviper

finished the demo, why GAF hypes things that are not worth it??

i thought the gameplay is gonna be like MGR, nope, i was wrong

the gameplay is not bad, it's fun, and fast, but it's no where near as satisfying as MGR, no vibration is a big deal

attacking some times is out of range, most enemies just stand like a vessel and shoot those red balls and you just try to dodge them the whole time

graphics is, well, not very good, enemy design is horrible

the camera, WTF ? i get that they are trying to do something new but if the whole game is like this then really WTF ?

the boss fight is a joke

maybe because i never liked Bayonetta and Nier is very similar to it, i just hope they make MGR 2, that flawless gameplay must not be forgotten

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
finished the demo, why GAF hypes things that are not worth it??

But, that's just your opinion from expectations you should not have had bro.

This is not MGR, or Bayonetta for that matter. its nier in a platinum oriented battle system.

The camera work is classic Nier, the bullet hell and projectile focus is also classic Nier.

I think people have to accept the game for how it is now

Tankard

Just finished the demo, freaking sold! As if i wasn't before, but this is just the confirmation of how good the gameplay felt on videos. I would be in for the animations itself, just fantastic.

Christhor

But, that's just your opinion from expectations you should not have had bro.

This is not MGR, or Bayonetta for that matter. its nier in a platinum oriented battle system.

The camera work is classic Nier, the bullet hell and projectile focus is also classic Nier.

I think people have to accept the game for how it is now

Yeah, they made a pretty big compromise between the original Nier and Platinum that will leave both sides wanting for more.

UrbanRats

maybe because i never liked Bayonetta and Nier is very similar to it, i just hope they make MGR 2, that flawless gameplay must not be forgotten
Lol, incidentally I love this and Bayonetta, but didn't enjoy MGR that much, especially that fucking cutting mechanic.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I enjoyed the boss.
Flashy and not very challenging, but it is just a demo.

Honestly would not be surprised to find out this is the opening segment akin to Nier's "snow" opening and D3's opening massacre segment. Pretty much there to introduce the characters slightly while teaching you how to play.

Christhor

Explain?
Apart from the bad boss, i thought it was a great injection of style into nier's gameplay.

How so? You mean by going "hehe, let's just inject all these gimmicks that were used occasionally in the original and put them everywhere"? The original Nier also had a pretty broken block feature, this one doesn't, but it has a much more broken dodge feature instead. Didn't really give off much of a Nier vibe outside of the soundtrack.

remz

i wouldn't call rising's gameplay flawless. it's kinda mashy, weapon switching takes too long, cutting is fun but basically a qte and the other weapons that aren't the sword are nowhere near as good

Gbraga

That ending was so Yoko Taro, hahahaha.

I loved it. Can't be bothered to do a Very Hard playthrough, though. Tried it with fists only, but going back to the title screen makes the experience a pain in the ass.

Thank god for button remapping. After a while, I'm happy with L2 for Laser, L1 for Evade, R1 for Fire and R2 for Weapon Switching.

How so? You mean by going "hehe, let's just inject all these gimmicks that were used occasionally in the original and put them everywhere"?

The original Nier also had a pretty broken block feature, this one doesn't, but it has a much more broken dodge feature instead. Didn't really give off much of a Nier vibe outside of the soundtrack.

Are these two things meant to be related, what are you actually referring to?
Nier and platinum fans will be both equally upset, because of dodge properties?

Thank god for button remapping. After a while, I'm happy with L2 for Laser, L1 for Evade, R1 for Fire and R2 for Weapon Switching.

Platinum usually provide good options for customization, but here its just on another level, so much camera control.

The hot takes on the soundtrack in this compared to the first are kind of ridiculous. Not only is Nier one of the best soundtracks ever, which is already hard to live up to, but it was a new sound and one you've been living with for years now. The music in the Nier Automata demo is great imo, and even if the score is only 75% as good, it'll still be amazing.

The second part of the boss fight sounds like pure NIer goodness. How can you argue? How can you hate? How can she slap?

Top Bottom