• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei: Nintendo's NX platform will use an Android OS

Wasn't it confirmed that NX will absorb WiiUs architecture? Would this be possible with Android? I know nothing.
I think the quote was referring to WiiU architecture as console and second screen not CPU/GPU architecture...the interview thread doesn't make sense other wise. Then you also have this slide which can only be possible with Game streaming or a virtual engine like Android/Java on every platform.

28lrsudw.jpg

I took so much shit for this when I proposed it back in March.

All of you guys in the original thread had better pay up by eating a hell of a lot of crow if it turns out to be true.

Original thread: Nintendo's next platform will run Android. Here's why.

LMAO. I remember this thread and remember thinking you were crazy.

I have no idea how to feel about this new development. All I can remember from when I used to have an Android phone was how it force quits all the damn time and how ugly it is compared to iOS.

Some of the reactions in the thread sounds like Nintendo announced a Free to play handheld featuring games like Super Mario Brothers coin crush and Wifus and Dragons : Fire Emblem

nynt9

I think people here have a hard time differentiating Android as an operating system versus mobile platforms that use Android. Understandable given the public's exposure to and understanding of Android, but there are many posts in here already explaining that that doesn't have to be the case. Then again when does major Nintendo platform news ever get received with cool heads haha.

I think this is a bad idea. If the console is updated every year then I could see it, or if the put out something that stomps all android devices I could see it.

If it means Nintendo have more developers getting creative w/ new game ideas and less resources spent designing a half-baked OS, then I'm all for it. Sounds like they are sticking w/ what they are good at and outsourcing the rest, which is smart.

I don't buy it, sounds like bull. That being said, as long as the hardware isn't just off the shelf parts and they significantly modify the OS it could work, I just don't see Nintendo doing it.

LMAO. I remember this thread and remember thinking you were crazy.

I have no idea how to feel about this new development. All I can remember from when I used to have an Android phone was how it force quits all the damn time and how ugly it is compared to iOS.

User Interface is not the same as OS. I expect Nintendo will still design the OS w/ a simple look similar to iOS. They've been mimicking Apple since the DS Lite.

E-phonk

Banned
I believe this is true for Wii (actually, the OS comes on the game disc and every game has a slightly different version according to the homebrew scene). For Wii U, the OS kernel runs across all 3 cores on the main CPU.
Possible, my source is (edit: apparently a banned site)
The Wii U OS is radically different in its architecture from other console software, due to the way it’s constructed and how it runs.

The operating system runs on a separate, smaller CPU called “IO processor”
Because of this, the Wii U Operating System does not take up resources from the main IBM CPU, of which 100% can be dedicated to the games software.
When a game is running, the OS is off and does not require any system memory. This means that games software can utilize 100% of the RAM, unlike other consoles which usually reserve 5-10% of the RAM for the OS at all times.

Remember, Iwata addressed Android in the past.
Iwata said:
Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.
The "Android based" part in the Nikkei article leads me to think it's an Android-like OS rather than Android. I can't really see Nintendo adopting a third party operating system on their hardware.

Possible, my source is (edit: apparently a banned site)

My source is Marcan the Hacker, and he was pretty spot-on back when we were tearing apart the Wii U in 2012/2013. Of course, Wii U has a whole gigabyte of RAM reserved for the OS, unlike PS360, so while it doesn't cut into the RAM reserved for applications, it ends up using quite a bit more.

If it means Nintendo have more developers getting creative w/ new game ideas and less resources spent designing a half-baked OS, then I'm all for it. Sounds like they are sticking w/ what they are good at and outsourcing the rest, which is smart.

I'm mulling it over ATM. I see good and bad possibilities. If nothing else virtual console will finally work thanks to emulators. This can either be their best idea in years or a massive mistake.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I took so much shit for this when I proposed it back in March.

All of you guys in the original thread had better pay up by eating a hell of a lot of crow if it turns out to be true.

Original thread: Nintendo's next platform will run Android. Here's why.

Good call dude. Not only that but it was well thought out and reasoned and most of the responses were "lulz".

I really hope you're right about the backwards compatibility with the Wii U and 3DS physical copy of games and based on the whole OP and reasoning it makes sense.

And Nikkei is reporting it so its pretty much confirmed.

Somnid

User Interface is not the same as OS. I expect Nintendo will still design the OS w/ a simple look similar to iOS. They've been mimicking Apple since the DS Lite.

This is an interesting alternate timeline but DS Lite and Wii both existed before iPhone. Even then it's hard to argue their UI shares much at all except for the icon grid.

The Wii had a very simple Apple like UI before the iPhone was released

That's true. Too bad the channels idea never really reached its full potential.

I was just thinking of the DS Lite case design w/ its glossy white finish and elegant simplicity. Logo in the middle. And remember, there were Apple products before iPhone lol.

Hakai

If there is one thing I learned about Nikkei, is that when they report about Nintendo, is never a rumor, but a fact.

E-phonk

Banned
I can't really see Nintendo adopting a third party operating system on their hardware.

On the other hand, developing a multi-core 64bit operating system with modern network features, highly optimised for it's CPU and battery life, with memory management with the functions developers would expect to be part of the API in 2015-2016 isn't an easy task that can easily take a team of software engineers 1-2 years to develop, optimise and debug - after which they'd have to secure, optimise and document it, build a software SDK for it etc...

One could argue there are better ways to spend your time instead of re-inventing the wheel. MS uses windows8 as a base for their OS, Sony FreeBSD for PS3/4/vita

Well, this sounds like very good news to me. If they can get thing up to speed OS wise and concentrate on making killer games with all the features that people expect in today's OS's, then this is great.

People expecting this to be a 50$ cheap ass media box are in for a surprise. I really doubt Nintendo would allow something like this to happen. This is based mostly on the very flexible Android platform and it makes sense for them to go that route.

Can't wait to know more about this whole thing !

Fitts

Two reasons why this could be good:

-Nintendo needs help in the OS department and this gives them a great foundation.

-Their third party support is... not good. If they grant full access to the Play store they could point to that as an offsetting bulletpoint. With Nintendo developing for mobile I believe this is a strong possibility.

Edit: Reason why this is bad:

-We're likely to get another gimmicky input device as standard.

18-Volt

I always thought future of the gaming would be all about Steam vs Google rivalry after Google starts pushing Google Play as a Steam-like platform. Instead of dedicated consoles, TV's would have built in either an top-tech android console or a Steam machine.

I think Nintendo has already chosen a side and is getting ready for the future war.

-Nintendo needs help in the OS department and this gives them a great foundation.

-Their third party support is... not good. If they grant full access to the Play store they could point to that as an offsetting bulletpoint. With Nintendo developing for mobile I believe this is a strong possibility.

Android OS dosnt mean Playstore support.

Jackano

There is no way they will use the Play Store. This is making money for Google, not Nintendo. This doesn't make business sense. Using Android doesn't mean using all Google services, if any at all, like already pointed out in this thread.

Basically imagine your Google account and Play Store replaced by NNID and eShop.
At least that's the way I imagine it.

For the controller, I imagine the new3DS and gamepad inputs being standards again. Maybe with a additional gimmick (haptic will be cool, but if they can lower the gamepad cost first).

magnetic

RIP in piece Nintendo!! Playing Mario on a crappy Android?! Please pay 99 cents to buy more jumps for Mario? I don't think so!! This is terrible, really bad. I feel sick to my stomach and cried if true. LOL. It ruined my week!!

Some stunning kneejerk reactions throughout this thread. I somehow keep thinking of the average GAF member as reasonably tech-savvy, but apparently not.

jts

...hate me...
didn't the DS Lite release before the first iPhone? or did they mimic another product?

It looked like the MacBook design. The plastic MacBook ones, that came in white or black.

In a dope way tbh.

I edited my comments above. When it first released, the DS Lite case design was often compared to the iPod design.
Oh. I guess in a way there were a lot of design language cues in common, but the single product looking more like the DS Lite was the MacBook imo.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Every OS will - because when you run a game on Wii or Wii U the main OS gets completely disabled, it only runs a small footprint of the OS on a dedicated cpu.

The linux kernel where android is based on has extra advantages (wakelocks) and specific functions for mobile arm/power/memory usage compared to normal linux.

They kernel merged a while ago so this isn't the real case anymore beyond specific tweaks that still have to be posted due to GPL.

Also Linux IS the Kernel. That's what it is.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If there is one thing I learned about Nikkei, is that when they report about Nintendo, is never a rumor, but a fact.

Yep. It's a denial stage, and even I had my initial F2P "Nintendo as we know it is doomed" when I first saw the headline.

But as Prophet Eddz predicted:

It is now confirmed that Nintendo is allocating internal software development resources to the creation of smartphone games, which will hinder the pace of releases for their core platforms and business model.

I think what we are likely to see will be structured as such:

Nintendo next home platform:
• Plays dedicated Nintendo NX games
• Plays Nintendo smartphone games
• Backwards compatible with Wii U games
• Possibly also plays Nintendo 4DS games, akin to Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player, in order to bolster the console's library and not end up with another Wii U situation

Nintendo next handheld platform:
• Plays dedicated Nintendo 4DS games
• Plays Nintendo smartphone games
• Backwards compatible with Nintendo 3DS games

Adoption of Android at the core of Nintendo's next platform has at least six huge benefits:
1. Android is a robust, proven platform which is extensively supported;
2. It further-increases the content available on each Nintendo platform;
3. It allows for easy porting of games and sharing of assets from platform to platform;
4. It allows for Nintendo's engineers to easily develop for any platform;
5. It allows for easy integration of DeNA's services;
6. It opens up the opportunity for much more third party content.

Should Nintendo's core business model flounder further, this also allows for easy porting of titles developed for NX, 4DS, and future platforms to smartphones in the future.

It has also been reported that Nintendo will shift to ARM chips for their next platform(s). ARM chips are used widely in smartphones (as well as inside PS4 and Xbox One) due to their low power consumption and small footprint.

While a proprietary platform may have previously been on the cards, as of this week, adoption of Android is now the most efficient use of Nintendo's resources..

This actually sounds great for Nintendo, Nintendo fans and gamers.

Oh. I guess in a way there were a lot of design language cues in common, but the single product looking more like the DS Lite was the MacBook imo.

Yeah, I'm looking back at the MacBook history now. Have never been a big Apple user. I just remember in 06, it was fairly obvious Nintendo were inspired by the Apple designs. Anyway, this is tangential to the matter at hand.

Coxswain

This is pretty fantastic news, if true. It's been my view for a while now that consoles would be way, way, way better off moving to a model where the software is written for an OS, rather than for a specific piece of hardware, and even in the (pretty damn likely) event that the NX ends up running a fairly customized "Nintendo" variant of Android, this should let them do exactly that, and that's absolutely fantastic, and a really forward-thinking move by console standards.

He did! It will probably be for VC and all the stuff they're working on for future systems.

That quote gives me hope that the next console will be able to upload the entire current catalog of VC games from the start without going through round 3 of "wait for Wii game to release on Wii U again."

Justified

Bolded highly unlikely that they would use Google Play Services. It will most likely be just like Amazon and CyangenOS, they use their own services/store

Yep. It's a denial stage, and even I had my initial F2P "Nintendo as we know it is doomed" when I first saw the headline.

But as Prophet Eddz predicted:

This actually sounds great for Nintendo, Nintendo fans and gamers.

His expectations are too high though, I wouldn't expect backwards compatibility, at least not for the handheld.

Top Bottom