• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Amiibo Look a Bit Different in Final Production vs. Advertised

Vlade

Could someone draw out the most egregious offense that isn't attributed to professional photography vs horse-poop-on-canvas? I'm having trouble picking it out. I have faith that it is there, I've purchased toys before.

Avallon

These toys are for kids, you want a pointy solid sword? Plus we have no clue who handle it and bent it on purpose, It doesn't mean it was come like that.

The embelishment on peach's dress was expected. Look at it and tell me you expect that on a $13 toy with NFC and memory.

The yellow link's stand seems like a design decision, horrible one but it isn't downgraded.

Why are you making excuses for them? The quality is lower than what they originally showed. To say that these are kids toys or "that's too be expected" does not make them any higher quality in the end.

I am disappointed, because the original figures looked absolutely great.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The only things that seem really off to me are Peach and Marth's floppy sword.

The thing getting me about marth is how his hand melds into the sword.

8097-image10.jpg

Here you can see a clearly defined end to his hand, a black piece of the sword, then the rest of it.

This loses that completly as his hand now absorbs into the hilt(or the gold pulls back more). But yeah, the floppy sword also loses the strength of his pose before it now feels like his arm is limping awkwardly with no effort. I also think his hair looks like a blob of playdoh.

Goon Boon

Banned
For comparison, here's a Skylander Trapmaster Wallop. It's $15, but it also gives you a character for use in Skylanders vs an AI buddy/training partner, so I'm not sure if that adds more value to the cost or what versus the opposite. Skylanders stuff also goes on sale pretty often too.

What looks like a RENDER from Amazon's store page :

UF8e1PB.jpg

What seems like the final product in two different lighting conditions (not 100% sure though that they're both final versions, so if anyone could confirm that'd be nice) :

f27ZqQl.jpg

zCE3A5X.jpg

TDLink

Weird how DK is there but no one took a close up of it. Also want to see close ups of the others releasing like Samus, Diddy, Captain Falcon, etc.

Wereroku

I think people were handling it so much and someone probably bent it. It is not solid like metal. This is for kids.

No it's called gravity and soft plastic. They are all going to look like that. People saying there's no difference really must be ignoring things. The paint job and molding are clearly worse.

RiggyRob

I think they look fine for the most part - Link's yellow stand is a little weird and the fact it's in front rather than behind is strange. Marth and Link having bendy swords isn't too encouraging.

The most criminal aspect of them is actually the fact the simplest characters look the worst - how do you mess up Kirby and Pikachu having off-centre eyes, really?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
And so the shoe of mass production reality finally drops.

If ye want quality statues and stuff, ye have to pay the collectable price, otherwise welcome to Happy Meal fare.

The Boat

It was obvious there was going to be a downgrade, this always happens with mass produced toys, especially cheap ones and they did say the ones shown were prototypes. They still look good to me anyway.

m0t0k1

As i only wanted Kirby, and my eyes being maybe blind? I don't see any difference there.

Mouth is off centred not in the middle of the eyes. Same can be said for the eyes not in the middle of kirby. But this can be easy fixable. Just go to your local store to pick them up instead of ordering online. Because paint jobs can differ between batches. At least i hope so :p

Seik

Banned
Mario, Kirby, Pikachu and Wii Fit Trainer looking good.

Can't see Link's face properly.

Marth and Peach looking weird, I mean, look at their faces! D:

Yeesh. While there's always a downgrade from promotional, prototype shots to what ends up in shops, this seems like a bit more of a drop off in detail and quality control than usual.

Worse, they look significantly worse than I remember Skylander's being (not touched on since last Christmas mind). Certainly less detailed and with worse paint.

Not sure how they stack up against Disney Infinity figures in hand, but from looking at them in shops I'd be surprised if these are up to the quality of either of their main competitors.

Combine that with the lack of a compelling, single, specific tie in title, large number of D listers and the apparent contraction of the figure game market, I'll be surprised if these do anywhere near as well as Nintendo are hoping.

TDLink

I'm curious how Samus looks.

I still think Samus looked the best out of the ones shown at E3:

71opuzMsIfL._SX522_.jpg

The pose is done in a way where they shouldn't have to add any plastic bases or poles. And there are no eyes to screw up or swords to bend. I have to imagine that Samus is going to turn out pretty good.

Exile20

No it's called gravity and soft plastic. They are all going to look like that. People saying there's no difference really must be ignoring things. The paint job and molding are clearly worse.

xfHPJIo.png

Look at the ones in the back, why are those straight then?

Mostlikely the ones in the front are bent because they are the ones people are handling.

Experien

Looks okay behind glass, but who knows. Still bent swords on never handled figures :(
Also, wtf BLUE stand on Fox.

Cool, I went to the Joystiq article and didn't see Samus in their slideshow. If this is from that event, I have no problem here.

TBH, I don't think they look that bad. If you are familiar with small and non-expensive figures/toys, this is pretty good stuff.

I think they still look good. No matter what the pole looked like I would have never got an Amiibo with a pole. My Amiibo Kirby was hardly affected by mass production so I am okay with this(.gif)

Looks okay behind glass, but who knows. Still bent swords on never handled figures :(
Also, wtf BLUE stand on Fox.

I don't understand why they insisted on using the poses from the official art if they needed this many bizarrely coloured plastic supports. I mean I get it - they're supposed to be the Smash in-game trophies come to life.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes the blur filter on the back ones sure clear that up. Can you honestly tell what the condition of the back one is?

You can see that it's not bend down, so gravity doesn't affect it. Seems quite straight to me, you can see the shape despite the filter.

Top Bottom