• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Amiibo Look a Bit Different in Final Production vs. Advertised

That Marth is ugly as hell. Peach a bit weird, I dunno. As for Yoshi I am a bit bothered by the way his joints show. And Link has an ugly standard.

Mario, Kirby and Pikachu look fine to me.

I am a bit dissapointed in the effort to be honest. Maybe it is because of the difficulty to make certain characters or something (I have no knowledge on this end), but I think the Disney Infinity and Skylanders stuff looks a lot better (qualitywise, not necessarily artdirection).

Edit: Wow, are people really suggesting that the less refined parts of the figurines are due to bad photography/lightning?

They really do not.
They actaully have the same problems, at least the disney infinity ones. Shitty paintjobs, decorations all over the place, eyes going crazy...
But you can do like me, and look at every figure in the aisle for 40 minutes until you find the better one. Thats what I did last christmas with the batch of infinity figures I bought.

People who buy through amazon it's going to be pure luck, and most often than not the result wil be dissapointment. Not in a million years will buy a figure like this from amazon.

I might buy a Peach figure if they ever come out with one, but as it stands those are just a liiiiitle too cheap looking. If it was in the middle of where they are vs where the prototypes were, I'd get it, but it's just past that threshold for me.

Tayaya

I can see the frustration here. While some degradation in quality is expected as we move from prototype to production, the asking price on the Amiibos is very high for a small, non-poseable figure in my book.

I regularly pay $40-60 for Nendroids, Figmas, and SH Figure Arts toys, but the Amiibos have failed to hook me at all. If they were in the $7-10 range I might be tempted to buy at least a few of them, but for $15 a pop for something that doesn't really augment my gaming experience all that much and also isn't very good looking... no thanks!

Taker666

At least Pikachu still looks great.

I have the feeling that colored plastics are actually cheaper to manufacture.

I know 5kg of crystal clear casting resin is about 20% more expensive than normal casting resin (I use it in my work).

...but given the tiny quantity of plastic being used I can't see it even adding 1 cent to the manufacturing price here..if that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Why is Mario holding a giant penis?

gIFVGcv.png

Lucifon

They barely look any different to me, just lighting. Professional photography in perfect lighting versus some dude's shots at home.

Sandfox

This is to be expected for something this price.

That Marth is ugly as hell. Peach a bit weird, I dunno. As for Yoshi I am a bit bothered by the way his joints show. And Link has an ugly standard.

I am a bit dissapointed in the effort to be honest. Maybe it is because of the difficulty to make certain characters or something (I have no knowledge on this end), but I think the Disney Infinity and Skylanders stuff looks a lot better (qualitywise, not necessarily artdirection).

Edit: Wow, are people really suggesting that the less refined parts of the figurines are due to bad photography/lightning?

Really?

Forkball

Link was the one I wanted most and now he looks like he's made of rubber with a giant piss yellow crystal coming out of his ass. WHY NINTENDO WHY

Some of these need a "Kill Me" text put over them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Actually after hearing a comment about durability in this video I think that might explains some of the thicker plastics being used here. A lot of these will be in kids' hands, they've gotta hold up in a way a nicer figurine might not have to.

I also noticed that the Wii Fit Trainer has a big clear piece of plastic around her foot, so I guess it's not that they abandoned clear altogether. The others are probably stylistic decisions... which is a bit weird since they don't look so great.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I don't know abut Skylanders, but I have at home figurines from Disney Infinity (the first version) and the quality is poor.

terrible

Banned
Honestly I was expecting worse than this. They are better than I expected. I just wish Link's support "pole" was clear instead of yellow.

K' Dash

Gold Member
What's curious to me is the fact that apparently the figures that came with Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver look better than the Amiibos, not to mention they were free if you preordered.
These are mine:

Edit: Probably not a whole lot better but they're up there.

So, how about you show that Samus figure?

Persona7

Banned
I just cancelled the two I had preordered. I've been thinking about canceling them for weeks though. I'll spend the 24 bucks on that toad game instead.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really seeing the downgrade. I mean yeah, Peach looks like she fell down the ugly tree and landed in great white rapids of the Ughh river, but the rest outside of off center Kirby, just looks like high quality promotional lighting vs everyday lighting.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't notice a single difference. I honestly can't tell which images are supposed to be the downgraded ones.

Pociask

I see the downgrade, when reading the people's posts pointing out the downgrades. But just scrolling through OP, I would have thought it all came down to lighting and angle (quick edit: and rubbery bent swords).

If this thread means anything, it's that Nintendo is silly for not offering premum Amiibo's for $19-$29 a pop that are higher end toys.

I'm just interesting in having something silly to put on my office desk that doesn't look terrible - so these still look to fit the bill (please don't screw up Little Mac....).

Tom_Cody

As I said in the other thread, I'm pretty happy with the quality outside of Marth and Link.

I'm simply going to take the approach of buying this in-person so I can judge the quality of the paint myself. Also, I want to avoid ending up with a bent sword on the guys described above. My some of the accessories for my Solid Snake Play Arts Kai figure (MGS1) are bent and it annoys the hell out of me.

Tom_Cody

Those are also $40 a pop.
I should have used more words in my post. I simply meant that those look mountains better than the best case scenario for these Amiibos. I don't mean that as a knock against Amiibos given their price, I just think those figures look really awesome.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Yeah I've got the game and the GameCube adapter preordered, but the Amiibos themselves I plan to pick through in-store. I wanna see how they actually look, and make sure to not get one with any noticeable defects, etc.

I think I'll get me a Pikachu, it'll be fun to train and have as my little in-game buddy. I'll probably get more later, but I wanna see what the actual functionality is in Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, Captain Toad, etc., before plopping down any cash.

Literally every promotional shot of a toy I have ever seen displays at least this level of difference from the finished product, especially when comparing heavily Photoshopped, studio lit photos with amateur pics.

The Amiibo really aren't that bad.

Disney Infinity also look bad when they're close up, but I know for a fact that they're not that bad in person because a friend has a bunch of them.

O5qxIOh.jpg

J96tzNA.jpg

zruben

Banned
emm, I wasn't really planning on getting many of those...

I'll have to decide when I have them "in person"... I just don't trust the internet about this stuff, it's too easy to make a thing look beautiful or horrible with the proper photography knowledge.

Pizza

they look on par with skylanders figures, imo. but, skylander figures are cheaper (the $15 ones are bigger, and do specific stuff) so nintendo needs to show amiibos in literally anything other than smash bros. figure players are cool, but not $15 per guy cool

also, for those wanting more detail, if you're willing to get some "washes" used for small tabletop figures, i bet those would make these figures pop, since it would darken the recesses some more and make them look much more detailed.

Meier

Some of those early replies...am I taking crazy pills? The differences seem negligible at best. The Link plastic pole seems to be the only one that is largely noticeable. Kirby's eyes are identical in both photos.

Edit: After it being pointed out, Peach's dress is obviously different.. but did people really expect that level of detail on a mass produced product that is probably going to get manhandled by most of its users? Marth's sword isn't as "crisp", but the character looks effectively identical.

A prototype, one-off crafted showcase amiibo under professional lighting, versus mass produced final products in someone's house, with pesky things like gravity in effect.

Colour me surprised that there is a downgrade in quality. Honestly I'm pretty impressed that the final ones look as close as they currently do. But then I've watched so many Ashens videos of supremely dodgy action figure paint jobs that anything feels like an improvement over that.

Yeah, seriously. They look pretty darn good for action figure standards. Not to mention that these are up close. You'll see a lot of imperfections on any figure.

Peltz

I saw them in person at Nintendo World this weekend where they're under glass. They looked ok.

10557372_10100870971103830_5775143531973069329_n.jpg

I took this with my iphone, and it was compressed slightly by FB where I upload my photos. Also, ignore the splotch on the hat, that's a flaw on my lens. But generally, they look fairly detailed in person. They don't look like "weighty" dense pieces of plastic. But they don't look like junk either. You can't see it, but there is a lot of cool texturing on Mario's overalls that my camera phone didn't really pick up.

Neiteio

Maybe I'm missing something, but they look more or less the same to me, taking into account the difference in angle and lighting. Peach is the only one who looks different -- her eyes seem a bit closer together -- and even then she seems fine.

Disney Infinity look a bit better than these, mainly because all the plastic and paint is matte instead of gross, cheap looking shiny stuff.

Skylanders are on a whole other level than amiibos though, they are waybetter.

Harmen

This is to be expected for something this price.

Really?

Well, yes. But I must admit I have only seen and held parts of the collections. So I would not know about batch differences, production mistakes etc. But those looked fine to me. Not as goofy as that Marth for example (see hanging sword, painting around hand) and those did not have those ugly as hell coloured stands (which is not a production quality issue, offcourse). But the infinity's I have seen were quite simple (humanoids are very simplified, Jack Sparrow for example) and with Skylanders I am not familiar with their original design. So maybe that is why this sticks out more to me.

I have a few of those cheapass Mariokart/motors here and they look a bit off when you look at their eyes, I guess I just was not expecting the same thing for something more expensive. But I believe you if you say it is normal it this pricepoint.

Edit:

Disney Infinity look a bit better than these, mainly because all the plastic and paint is matte instead of gross, cheap looking shiny stuff.

Skylanders are on a whole other level than amiibos though, they are waybetter.

I think this is what is bothering me for Marth and Peach a bit.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I really cannot see the big deal here. Promotional shots with professional lighting and post-touch ups in Lightroom versus cameraphone shots?

Maybe its because I work in production and can tell the difference with the effort put into the promo shots versus some piddly camera with dumpy lighting, but have a cow, y'all.

Exile20

Maybe I'm missing something, but they look more or less the same to me, taking into account the difference in angle and lighting. Peach is the only one who looks different -- her eyes seem a bit closer together -- and even then she seems fine.

People were expecting hand painted prototype figures with NFC and memory for $13.

Nintendo should have put those Pikmin to work.

Some of those early replies...am I taking crazy pills? The differences seem negligible at best. The Link plastic pole seems to be the only one that is largely noticeable. Kirby's eyes are identical in both photos.

They most definitely aren't. I know the prototype Kirby is at an angle, but it doesn't take an artist to see the prototype features aren't misaligned as they are in that final product shot.

Top Bottom