• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2014

I just checked the Wii Shop and all the other TG-16 Star Soldier games are still there, odd that Star Parodier was removed.
Hmm, I don't think I ever bought this, but it's definitely one of those "if I had know.." things.

Ah well, Konami can't be bothered with Hudson stuff apparently.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I learned something new today:
Did you know that you can turn off the GamePad in VC games and still use it by pressing down the right stick while you close the VC menu? (edit: "pressing down" like R3 on PS controllers)

zroid

Banned
I learned something new today:
Did you know that you can turn off the GamePad in VC games and still use it by pressing down the right stick while you close the VC menu?

As in use the GamePad as a controller but turn off the screen...? Is this new?

I know certain people have been demanding this for a while.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Yes.
I don't know if it's new, I never noticed it before, but it's in the manual for Super Mario Kart. Might have to look at an older game.

Edit: It's not new. It's in the manual for Super Mario World and Kirby's Adventure.

Jucksalbe

Banned
can you explain how to do it with more details? im not getting it, abd didnt find anything on the super metroid manual

It's on page 13 (Virtual Console Menu) at the bottom. I just quote it here:

Press and hold the right stick while closing the Virtual Console Menu to turn off the GamePad screen.
Touch the GamePad screen to turn it back on.

So, start the game. Tap the screen to get to the VC menu, then press and hold the right stick in and tap on back (or press B).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, I never knew that. You think they would have made that a selectable button when pausing the game/on the VC menu for save states & such.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The confusing thing is that there's a "Display off" option in the general WiiU controller settings menu (which doesn't let you use the GamePad while it's off), I never thought there actually would be a second option.
Now someone find an option like this for NSMBU. Nintendo just likes to hide important options behind strange key combinations (like the screen settings in 3DS GB+GBA VC games).

Hmm, I don't think I ever bought this, but it's definitely one of those "if I had know.." things.

Do you have a PSP? You should try to get this, PC Engine Star Soldier Collection:

EAB8AE74-4234-4568-95F8-AC8265E1A037-3772-000005C911204C8F.jpg

Ah well, Konami can't be bothered with Hudson stuff apparently.

Guess not, why should Konami bother capitalizing on the insane amount of classic IPs they have when it's apparently more profitable to let them stagnate and focus on the more important things like allowing Kojima to release a $40 Metal Gear demo?

At least it's still on the European VC.

Odder all the time.

Shooters are not meant to be played on portable screens. Most of the PSP ones suck major horse crap.

I have almost every PSP generation. The go is the one with the best screen. And it still sucks ass

Shooters are not meant to be played on portable screens. Most of the PSP ones suck major horse crap.

I have almost every PSP generation. The go is the one with the best screen. And it still sucks ass

Yes, the PSP screen has always had blur issues. Thanks for the news flash. But whatever, the first time I 1CC'd Gradius was actually on my PSP 2000. Otherwise, thanks for the completely rude, unfriendly, hyperbolic, and over the top reply. Was just giving an alternate option for folks who might be interested in playing Star Parodier now that it's been taken down.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So, it was a busy month, and I haven't updated the CN spreadsheet since the end of February -- so now I'm trying to catch up on March.

1) Anyone know of any reliable sources for eShop sales notices other than this thread and my spreadsheet? I'm trying to determine when the various sales STARTED, and we didn't always note those in here.

2) Wasn't there a blurb somewhere about Club Nintendo changing DS/Wii registration stuff in the next week? Anyone have a link to that?

I hope to have an updated spreadsheet soon, and I'll try to get it rejiggered to track historical values -and- any new changes...

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
2) Wasn't there a blurb somewhere about Club Nintendo changing DS/Wii registration stuff in the next week? Anyone have a link to that?

It's actually on Club Nintendo itself:

Starting on April 7, 2014, any newly registered Nintendo DS or Wii games (both retail and digital copies) will continue to receive product registration surveys, but no longer be eligible for 10-coin post-play surveys. In addition, starting on April 7, the deadline to complete newly earned post-play surveys for all games will be 30 days after they are issued.

DDayton

Starting on April 7, 2014, any newly registered Nintendo DS or Wii games (both retail and digital copies) will continue to receive product registration surveys, but no longer be eligible for 10-coin post-play surveys. In addition, starting on April 7, the deadline to complete newly earned post-play surveys for all games will be 30 days after they are issued.

Given that NO digital DS nor Wii games have registration surveys, is the general assumption that DSiWare, WiiWare, and Wii VC games are essentially devoid of value on April 7th?

Yes, the PSP screen has always had blur issues. Thanks for the news flash. But whatever, the first time I 1CC'd Gradius was actually on my PSP 2000. Otherwise, thanks for the completely rude, unfriendly, hyperbolic, and over the top reply. Was just giving an alternate option for folks who might be interested in playing Star Parodier now that it's been taken down.

I don't mind people trying to play it. I just said the PSP screens sucks for it.

And if you want my personal opinion, the GBA or the Ds ain't that better off. Like I said, all portables suck.

Sorry if I offended you by mentioning the quality of a console.

Sure its sad that a lot of people won't get to play it. But if they wanted to on the virtual console, they could have had a long while ago, not just now.

DDayton

Also, if anyone bought any of the following, how many CN coins did you get?

I ask as all are labeled "Download Version," which generally means you get a 10 coin early registration bonus when purchasing within the first few weeks -- I just wanted to make sure that was the case this time.

* Yumi's Odd Odyssey (3DS)
* Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
* Madagascar 3 & The Croods Party Combo Pack (3DS)

colon

Also, if anyone bought any of the following, how many CN coins did you get?

I ask as all are labeled "Download Version," which generally means you get a 10 coin early registration bonus when purchasing within the first few weeks -- I just wanted to make sure that was the case this time.

* Yumi's Odd Odyssey (3DS)

I got 40 for buying Yumi, then a 10 coin post play survey.

joedick

sörine;106239395 said:
That's odd since Konami owns it outright there shouldn't be any licensing issues. Have they had any other surprise delistings?

The game was developed by Kaneko, perhaps that plays a part.

I recall that when VC launched, Hudson was fairly aggressive in getting TG games onto it, getting the rights to games they didn't own so they could 'publish' them on VC. Now that Konami's running the show, it might be a good idea to buy the games you were on the fence about that they don't have full rights to. The 'Crush' games come to mind. Can anybody think of others that may not last?

JoeM86

Since there's no April thread yet...

This week, in Europe

Wii U Virtual Console
Advance Wars €6.99/£6.29
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga €6.99/£6.29
Metroid Fusion €6.99/£6.29

3DS
SUPER MONKEY BALL 3D €19.99 (£14.99)
Bubble Pop World €4.99 (£4.49)

=====
Price Reductions - Permanent

Wii U
RUSH €1.99 (£1.79)
Toki Tori €1.99 (£1.79)
EDGE €1.99 (£1.79)

3DS
EDGE €1.99 (£1.79)
Monster Shooter €4.00 (£3.20)

Sendou

Definitely getting Advance Wars. Maybe I'll even get crazy and buy Superstar Saga even if I'm not the biggest fan of the series. RUSH is back to 2€? Definitely considering that as well.

L~A

Hmm... pretty lackluster week, outside of GBA VC. So yeah, nothing for me.

I wouldn't say no to Metroid Fusion + Mario & Luigi, but my Wii U plate is already quite full (and I'd rather play those on a handheld, so 4DS it'll be for me, ha ha ha).

Hope they'll keep the flow of GBA VC titles steady! :)

Danneee

Might double dip EDGE on WiiU, I imagine that controls wonderfully with a dpad. Swipe controls on iOS was I bit lacking in precision.

Hope they'll keep the flow of GBA VC titles steady! :)

I'd rather they keep the SNES VC title flow steady instead.

Sendou

I'd rather they keep the SNES VC title flow steady instead.

I don't. You can already purchase most interesting SNES games through Virtual Console. With GBA the situation isn't quite as rosy. In the perfect world I'd like to see both but I prefer GBA games over SNES games since this will be their first time appearing on the service.

How are this titles? I know Toki Tori 2 is well regarded but is Toki Tori very different?

Also, Edge better on 3DS or Wii U?

Thanks!

EDGE is really good. One of my favorite indie games of all time. Unless you want a portable copy of the game then go for the Wii U version.

How are this titles? I know Toki Tori 2 is well regarded but is Toki Tori very different?

Also, Edge better on 3DS or Wii U?

Thanks!
Toki Tori is very different to its sequel, but it's a very good puzzle game too. It's level based, not open world style like TT2 is. In each of the levels, you need to get all the eggs in them (the amount varies). Finding the correct path is the key. In each level you have a set number of items/skills to use (for example a piece of bridge).
Overall a great game for 2 euros.

I found Edge kind of dull personally, but that's just me.

Orgen

EDGE is really good. One of my favorite indie games of all time. Unless you want a portable copy of the game then go for the Wii U version.

So besides portability there's no other reason to own Edge on 3DS? (3D?) If that's the case I'll get it on Wii U, thanks!

Toki Tori is very different to its sequel, but it's a very good puzzle game too. It's level based, not open world style like TT2 is. In each of the levels, you need to get all the eggs in them (the amount varies). Finding the correct path is the key. In each level you have a set number of items/skills to use (for example a piece of bridge).
Overall a great game for 2 euros.

I found Edge kind of dull personally, but that's just me.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll buy it when I get home :) For Edge and Rush I'll see some videos. Any Rush recommendations?

Danneee

I don't. You can already purchase most interesting SNES games through Virtual Console. With GBA the situation isn't quite as rosy. In the perfect world I'd like to see both but I prefer GBA games over SNES games since this will be their first time appearing on the service.

Nintendo should have made GBA work on 3DS instead, I'm not very eager to play anything with a GBA resolution on anything that have a screen bigger than 4", but there are people who doesn't have a problem with it. I'll just chalk it up with the rest of Nintendos shitty decisions and ignore those releases.

liger05

Nintendo should have made GBA work on 3DS instead, I'm not very eager to play anything with a GBA resolution on anything that have a screen bigger than 4", but there are people who doesn't have a problem with it. I'll just chalk it up with the rest of Nintendos shitty decisions and ignore those releases.

This

L~A

yeah...shoudl be worried?
I was planning to donwload it

I don't think there's any reason to be worried, though it's strange it's not mentionned in the PR. I think we would have heard something if it has been delayed or something.

Robin64

It's all about Metroid Fusion. Important enough to be called "Metroid 4", it's the furthest point in the story that we have so far. Well worth checking out for that alone.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It's all about Metroid Fusion. Important enough to be called "Metroid 4", it's the furthest point in the story that we have so far. Well worth checking out for that alone.

I wonder when there'll be a new Metroid important enough to call it "Metroid 5". With three Prime games and Other M, there are as many "side story" games by now as there are mainline games.

L~A

I wonder when there'll be a new Metroid important enough to call it "Metroid 5". With three Prime games and Other M, there are as many "side story" games by now as there are mainline games.

I'm not sure it's really fair to call the Metroid Prime game "side stories", since they take place in the same timeline.

And I'm pretty sure Other M is an integral part, too, as Sakamoto said he needed to clarify some stuff in this game before moving on with the story. I'm not sure what he meant by that, though.

Oh, but hmm... a bit OT, oopsie.

This make me thing : not sure I'd like Metroid Prime on the VC, if ever we get GC games on VC. I mean, I'm so used to pointer controls now, going back to sticks for this game would be a nightmare :(

RiggyRob

Wasn't it considered the worst Metroid game before Other M came out? :p
I don't have anything against Fusion and it's well worth getting, but it's been pointed out to me that Other M took a lot of its cues from Fusion, especially when it came to the Samus/Adam relationship.

Also, since the whole X parasites fusing with her Varia suit incident, it doesn't seem like anyone has wanted to make a game that doesn't have Samus' iconic design or deal with the story after SA-X, despite the SA-X (normal form) being Metroid Fusion's best part.

I have a question for you guys, it's about system transfer. The story is my friend got his old 3DS broken so he bought a new 3DS XL as replacement, today he called Nintendo to do a system transfer from his old broken 3DS to the new one since he couldn't do that manually. He gave the support his old and new 3DS SN along with his NNID and Club Nintendo account name.
The problem is, Nintendo support couldn't find his old 3DS SN in their system and because of that reason they can't transfer the content. For the detail, my friend bought his old 3DS when he traveled to Singapore (so I think that's why the SN is different), and it already linked with his US NNID and Club Nintendo.

My question is, what should my friend do to recover all his purchased content back and get his NNID transferred to new system? I heard few people could get their content transferred by providing their CC number which they use to buy the game? Do he need to call Nintendo again with all his NNID detail with the hope they could track his old 3DS from his NNID history?
Wow NNID really is useless (though its not like this would have played out differently without it)
Since nobody else any ideas here is the only things I can think of:
-Get the 3DS repaired and with the repaired system use the system transfer. I know this may be rather costly, maybe the price can be driven down when by pointing out why the repair is required (computer says no about serial no. if they had a proper account system or could perform the transfer the repair would be unrequired) which brings me onto the other idea.
-Inquire about sending in both systems in and seeing if they can do the transfer then but given one of the system needs to be repaired first I doubt this will be any cheaper, even if the broken 3DS hardware is given up (I think they only "dispose" of such systems for free). They might not be able to find the SN but the system in hand is another thing.

Top Bottom