• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - March 2015

terrisus

Yeah, kind of happy. I love physical, but digital is SO simple.

I love physical for consoles, but...
For handhelds, it's just so convenient to have all those games always on there, so you don't have to think "What game do I want to bring with me?" or bring a bag of games around with you :þ

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I love physical for consoles, but...
For handhelds, it's just so convenient to have all those games always on there, so you don't have to think "What game do I want to bring with me?" or bring a bag of games around with you :þ

Yeah, that's sort of why I'm leaning more towards a digital handheld future.

Got my 64GB card ordered. Should be here Wednesday! <3

On that note, anyone have a lot of VC games on their 3DS? I am thinking of buying some classics, but I'm not sure which are "must have" or "must play" titles.

BooJoh

WayForward is going to be having a 25th anniversary sale.

Nintendo 3DS eShop (3/12/-3/19, North America, Europe, Australia/New Zealand):
– Mighty Switch Force! (3DS) – 75% off
– Mighty Switch Force! 2 (3DS) – 75% off
– Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse (3DS) – 25% off

Nintendo Wii U eShop (3/12/-3/19, North America, Europe, Australia/New Zealand):
– Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U) – 75% off
– Mighty Switch Force! 2 (Wii U) – 75% off
– Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse (Wii U) – 25% off

https://wayforward.com/news/2015/03/celebrating-25-years-of-games/

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Because I know people will ask, Mighty Switch Force on Wii U has updated graphics & a bunch of new levels that the 3DS version didn't get. MSF2 on 3DS & Wii U are exactly the same, save for 3D effects.

Mighty Flip Champs being free on PSN is kind of cool. I had the DSiWare version a while back & thought it was rather fun for a puzzle game. Shame it can't be free/discounted on the eShop.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Time to finally pick up MSF2. The change from gun to fire hose made the gameplay look slower, which kept me away, along with the lack of any updated graphics(didn't have a 3DS at the time, then it fell off my radar).

wilflare

Because I know people will ask, Mighty Switch Force on Wii U has updated graphics & a bunch of new levels that the 3DS version didn't get. MSF2 on 3DS & Wii U are exactly the same, save for 3D effects.

Mighty Flip Champs being free on PSN is kind of cool. I had the DSiWare version a while back & thought it was rather fun for a puzzle game. Shame it can't be free/discounted on the eShop.

it's free on PSN?!

maxcriden

Planning to post this in the B/S/T thread as well, but if anyone is picking up Mario vs. DK: Tipping Stars and will have a Wii U or 3DS code they don't need, I'll gladly purchase it from you. LMK. Thanks!

wilflare

not sure where else I can post this but I'm thinking of writing a history paper on the transformation of Nintendo into a gaming company (from making Hanafuda cards).

any thoughts on how or where I should start to dig for more information?

maxcriden

not sure where else I can post this but I'm thinking of writing a history paper on the transformation of Nintendo into a gaming company (from making Hanafuda cards).

http://blog.beforemario.com/

Also, Game Over: Press Start to Continue is a terrific book (although it really is mainly the history of the gaming company Nintendo). I mean, I think I read it when I was 14. <.< But I've heard adults liked it too!

maxcriden

AWESOME! thank you so much!
hmm should I create a thread to ask? I have the impression that such threads usually don't end well...

No, you totally should. I bet lots of people have some great ideas. Just ask earnestly and people will respond well. If they don't, screw 'em, it's their problem. :)

(and my pleasure Wil!)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

I have a great gook called "History of Nintendo Vol. 1" (Vol. 2 is about the Game & Watch stuff/years) that basically talks about a good amount of all the stuff they did leading up to video games.

If you want some more detailed info on some of the specific items, Before Mario (who also put out a book) is a decent website as well. Did you know Duck Hunt the NES game was inspired by an earlier game which used a projector instead of a game console/TV?

wilflare

No, you totally should. I bet lots of people have some great ideas. Just ask earnestly and people will respond well. If they don't, screw 'em, it's their problem. :)

(and my pleasure Wil!)

I have a great gook called "History of Nintendo Vol. 1" (Vol. 2 is about the Game & Watch stuff/years) that basically talks about a good amount of all the stuff they did leading up to video games.

If you want some more detailed info on some of the specific items, Before Mario (who also put out a book) is a decent website as well. Did you know Duck Hunt the NES game was inspired by an earlier game which used a projector instead of a game console/TV?

thanks again! both of you :D
I will probably create the thread later after I do a little more research
but thanks for the Before Mario reference - it's really really nice!
the books you guys suggested are really good too, thank you!

-now I'm excited about my paper!-

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just a FYI, the books I recommended, try our best to find an US retailer. I got lucky with History of Nintendo Vol. 1 (vol 2, you either gotta pay a much higher price because I think not many were sent over or order directly from one of the publishers who're located in France), but Before Mario took me about 3 weeks, & this was AFTER 2 months had passed (I then got my original book a week or so later. I'm guessing the port strike had something to do with it).

I don't know why, but most of the cooler books on gaming are from the UK.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Does anyone suggest Game & Watch Gallery 3 for GBC? I loved 2, but 1 was kind of dull.
Yes, I'd recommend it. I feel the same way. 2 was a great improvement if not for the fact there was unlockables, motivating you to get a higher score for the games. Plus the games themselves were kind of better as well.

terrisus

sörine;154346668 said:
I'm not getting either but I'm happy Culture Brain is on board. Hope we get Little Ninja Bros and The Magic of Scheherazade.

Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 or bust!

jholmes

http://blog.beforemario.com/

Also, Game Over: Press Start to Continue is a terrific book (although it really is mainly the history of the gaming company Nintendo). I mean, I think I read it when I was 14. <.< But I've heard adults liked it too!

Seconded both these recommendations, although like Max I haven't read Game Over since I was a kid. I have a copy of it on my shelf right now though. Maybe it's time for a re-read...

wilflare

Seconded both these recommendations, although like Max I haven't read Game Over since I was a kid. I have a copy of it on my shelf right now though. Maybe it's time for a re-read...

thanks guys!
just bought Game Over as well for my Kindle PaperWhite (too many different titles... thought there were multiple titles/sequels)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

This is a dumb question, but is that book worth the $30 price tag? I'm thinking of ordering it if so...I LOVE video game and industry history. I actually find that reading about games and their development cycles is sometimes more fun than playing them.

Shame the DSiWare games are forgotten although DSiWare doesn't really go on sale. That said A DSiWare game went on sale once; Game & Watch DK Jr in North America.

Which 3ds msf game is worth getting?
Here is my totally not helpful answer:
The best version of 1 is on Wii U from a context standpoint (some people don't like the redone graphics though) so if you play 1 on 3DS you might feel you're missing out.

I never played 2 on 3DS as I heard it was a more of the same with some firefighting (which I can't help but think of a much older Wayforward game; Rescue Heroes: Billy Blazes, the gameplay is even get the people, get to exit point). 2 on Wii U just uses the 3DS graphics so looks kind of ugly.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is a dumb question, but is that book worth the $30 price tag? I'm thinking of ordering it if so...I LOVE video game and industry history. I actually find that reading about games and their development cycles is sometimes more fun than playing them.
History of Nintendo, yes. Seems on the Amazon marketplace, you can get it for about $20, which is a great price. It talks about all the different things Nintendo tried out in the 1900s (the cards, making different toys, etc.), then has some sections dedicated to talking about said products. As someone who's also been getting into reading about books relating to games, its history, & such, it's a fascinating read if you're a fan of gaming, especially of Nintendo, because it feels like the only book that talks about Nintendo BEFORE the NES with a good amount of depth. You can see a few preview pages here.

Before Mario, it's more of a collected piece of some of the different stuff shown off on the blog of the same name. I like to think of it as a "coffee table" book where you notice it's there, decide to flip to a random page & see "oh, this is a picture of this product, neat" & then read the little description of it. Again, you can get a preview of some pages here. I see it as a complement to HoN because I get some better pictures/close-ups of the products that were talked about.

What sucks is that I'd love to get Vol. 2 of HoN, but you either have to pay a rather high price from Amazon (I think not many English copies were sent to retailers) or deal with importing it. There's suppose to be a 3rd volume on the NES days, but it's not even out yet, let alone translated.

There's also a book about all the different Mario merchandise (Mario Goodies Collection) plus one on Gunpei Yokoi, but I don't have those (yet). Just be sure to check if it's the English version of the French version since that's where the people who make the books are located (though the Before Mario is bilingual).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
History of Nintendo, yes. Seems on the Amazon marketplace, you can get it for about $20, which is a great price. It talks about all the different things Nintendo tried out in the 1900s (the cards, making different toys, etc.), then has some sections dedicated to talking about said products. As someone who's also been getting into reading about books relating to games, its history, & such, it's a fascinating read if you're a fan of gaming, especially of Nintendo, because it feels like the only book that talks about Nintendo BEFORE the NES with a good amount of depth. You can see a few preview pages here.

Before Mario, it's more of a collected piece of some of the different stuff shown off on the blog of the same name. I like to think of it as a "coffee table" book where you notice it's there, decide to flip to a random page & see "oh, this is a picture of this product, neat" & then read the little description of it. Again, you can get a preview of some pages here. I see it as a complement to HoN because I get some better pictures/close-ups of the products that were talked about.

What sucks is that I'd love to get Vol. 2 of HoN, but you either have to pay a rather high price from Amazon (I think not many English copies were sent to retailers) or deal with importing it. There's suppose to be a 3rd volume on the NES days, but it's not even out yet, let alone translated.

There's also a book about all the different Mario merchandise (Mario Goodies Collection) plus one on Gunpei Yokoi, but I don't have those (yet). Just be sure to check if it's the English version of the French version since that's where the people who make the books are located (though the Before Mario is bilingual).

Thanks - I'll grab Vol.1 of the HoN!

sörine

Banned
Shame the DSiWare games are forgotten although DSiWare doesn't really go on sale. That said A DSiWare game went on sale once; Game & Watch DK Jr in North America.
They also should've put Xtreme Sports and Shantae GBC on sale for 3DS too. I still almost can't believe we got indie support on 3DS Virtual Console. Makes me wonder if Wayforward and Shin'en's GBA games will make it to Wii U?

wilflare

trying to secure these books - not cheap at all :( haha

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
trying to secure these books - not cheap at all :( haha
Yeah, HoN Vol. 1 is the cheapest/easiest to find. Again, it's because most of the ones that dive more into less talked about stuff are based in EU. Most are from one company called Pix'n Love. So for the most part, you have to hope that they translated them, then either pay more from a place within the US or wait longer because of importing (it took me almost 3 weeks to get a book from France). I wish I had more funds, because the actual books are really good reads & would like to get more on history that isn't a retread on"HEY REMEMBER WHEN SEGA & NINTENDO WERE ENEMIES?!" or things you can find in a ton of other books/sites.

Wait, is this out in English yet? I pre-ordered it what must have been over 3 years ago :( Yeah, really avoid dealing with pix'n love directly under any circumstances. They also do that scam of saying something is in stock then never delivering it because it wasn't really in stock but they'll make stock when they get enough orders in...

RK128

Nintendo 3DS eShop (3/12/-3/19, North America, Europe, Australia/New Zealand):
&#8211; Mighty Switch Force! (3DS) &#8211; 75% off
&#8211; Mighty Switch Force! 2 (3DS) &#8211; 75% off
&#8211; Shantae and the Pirate&#8217;s Curse (3DS) &#8211; 25% off

Nintendo Wii U eShop (3/12/-3/19, North America, Europe, Australia/New Zealand):
&#8211; Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (Wii U) &#8211; 75% off
&#8211; Mighty Switch Force! 2 (Wii U) &#8211; 75% off
&#8211; Shantae and the Pirate&#8217;s Curse (Wii U) &#8211; 25% off

https://wayforward.com/news/2015/03/celebrating-25-years-of-games/

And I just bought Pirates Curse on my 2DS over the weekend :(. Oh well, at least I paid full price for a great game then :D. Might get the Switch Force games (simply due to how interesting they look and how I would like to have more E-Shop games on my 2DS).

WayFoward are great developers (so many of their games are great, like Ducktails Remasterd, their first Adventure Time got a lot of praise, the Shante series is awesome, a good deal of there licensed games are good/solid like their Aliens DS game, ect), so it is great to see them celebrate years of quality software :).

daydream

Banned
sörine;154346668 said:
I'm not getting either but I'm happy Culture Brain is on board. Hope we get Little Ninja Bros and The Magic of Scheherazade.

Sure, I'm more baffled/surprised than anything else.

Always good too see new names.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, is this out in English yet? I pre-ordered it what must have been over 3 years ago :( Yeah, really avoid dealing with pix'n love directly under any circumstances. They also do that scam of saying something is in stock then never delivering it because it wasn't really in stock but they'll make stock when they get enough orders in...
Hmm, maybe not? Yeah, I've heard some stories relating to Pix'n Love. Looking at Amazon again, they have the English version "currently unavailable" but mention the french version.

I ordered the Before Mario book from Omake Books. Sadly, they only have HoN Vol. 1 in English & that's it.

Top Bottom