• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files patent application for stationary game console without optical disk

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wouldn't an all-digital console absolutely destroy any relationships with retailers? They'd get no floor space or promotion. Wasn't this one of the huge problems with PSP Go?

sinxtanx

People are really missing the "Example console" part of the patent

my take:
hi NX
you are multiple systems
you can interface with a disc drive
you have a serious OS
I see you have a GamePad, that's cool I like that

MisterHero

The fate of BC is questionable but I would NEVER get rid of it if it meant customers lose their digital libraries. You paid for it you should keep/download/use it whenever you want.

entremet

Wouldn't an all-digital console absolutely destroy any relationships with retailers? They'd get no floor space or promotion. Wasn't this one of the huge problems with PSP Go?

Works for Apple.

It depends on how much sales the hardware does.

It would be a huge transition, yes. But Nintendo would presumably be getting their IP into stores via other ways, like Amiibo, download cards, and other merch.

Retailers would probably want a bigger margin on the hardware, though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Works for Apple.

It depends on how much sales the hardware does.

Apple also is insanely popular in a growing market and isn't relying on $50 game sales to boost profit.

NX won't be a digital-only console. There may be a digital-only SKU but Japan isn't even close to adopting a digital-only future and considering the fact that Japan factors into about 95% of Nintendo's decision making, digital-only isn't happening anytime soon. This patent is probably in reference to one possible NX configuration consumers will be able to choose from.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The fate of BC is questionable but I would NEVER get rid of it if it meant customers lose their digital libraries. You paid for it you should keep/download/use it whenever you want.

Speaking of which I hope Nintendo is still on schedule to debut their new DeNA made account/loyalty system next month. I think it's next month anyway.

televator

Iwata once talked about wanting the console & handheld to be similar but "like brothers". If it means that the same games would be scaleable between systems, a similar physical format would make sense.

That would be pretty neat. Not too far off from the cross play promotions that Sony does between console and handheld, so it seems feasible this day and age to contain 2 versions of the same game in one media unit. Just... the cost. I mean the WiiU is on 25GB disks. 32GB flash memory is nowhere near as cheap as a BD a disk yet.

nubbe

I hope a cart based solution is large enough so they can add co-IC on the chipboard

would be cool if games were upgraded with superfx 3, 4, 5 over the years

Interesting. So the NX might be

A. Digital only
Or
B. Going back to cartridges.

Ah the hype and rumors for new hardware is always fun

Yes, the SHAPE of the Wii U is one of its biggest mistake.

Of course!

What? The Wii U isn't square. I meant the GameCube.

Okay so that one is a stretch. I imagine the square patent picture in the OP doesn't literally mean the console would be cube-shaped.

Oregano

Yeah, the memory card part is weird. It sounds like Nintendo could ship OS updates to retail maybe? Maybe because the OS would be the same across different devices, you could use the update card in the stationary console and/or handheld. This is since there will presumably be a version w/ an optical drive, and rather than ship the update on a disc, they would use the medium that can also be inserted into the handheld. *shrug*

Well couldn't it then be a conduit for game purchases similar to how Famicom DD and iQue worked?

As in you go to the retail kiosk, install a game on the card, go home and then install the game on the console HDD.

It's effectively DD-only but doesn't preclude people with poor internet.

oti

Banned
Or one of their biggest successes
ds-lite-26qv-800.jpg

Best video game hardware ever

Well couldn't it then be a conduit for game purchases similar to how Famicom DD and iQue worked?

As in you go to the retail kiosk, install a game on the card, go home and then install the game on the console HDD.

It's effectively DD-only but doesn't preclude people with poor internet.

Possibly? Although it doesn't seem to mention that here. Such a solution would also necessitate the installation of said kiosks and negotiating w/ retailers to implement them. I can also imagine lines of people waiting for data transfers would be somewhat annoying. I think the more likely solution is multiple SKUs. At least one disc-based and at least one HDD-based.

The_Lump

Banned
The main issue with digital only will always be keeping traditional retailers happy. I brought the following idea up back when the WUST threads were in their prime;

I want to see a kind of wireless key (NFC enabled and tied to your account) that you could carry with you when you are at a retail store. The idea is you just take a token for the game you want from the shelf to the counter (much like download cards I guess) and present your key when you pay. The store scan the key and presto, your console/handheld starts to download your game for when you get home. Retailers can still add a markup for their trouble, it's still worth their while promoting games in store and no-one has to print, ship and stock discs in plastic boxes. /pipedream

*Fake Edit: Sod the 'key'; most phones are NFC enabled, as are Amiibos - so might as well use them.

**Fake Edit 2: If it were a dedicated 'key' of some kind, I guess it could have in built storage to actually download the game in store for those with crappy internet at home.

There are numerous holes in this idea. Feel free to tear it to shreds ;)

Nosgoroth

The main issue with digital only will always be keeping traditional retailers happy. I brought the following idea up back when the WUST threads were in their prime;

I want to see a kind of wireless key (NFC enabled and tied to your account) that you could carry with you when you are at a retail store. The idea is you just take a token for the game you want from the shelf to the counter (much like download cards I guess) and present your key when you pay. The store scan the key and presto, your console/handheld starts to download your game for when you get home. Retailers can still add a markup for their trouble, it's still worth their while promoting games in store and no-one has to print, ship and stock discs in plastic boxes. /pipedream

*Fake Edit: Sod the 'key'; most phones are NFC enabled, as are Amiibos - so might as well use them.

There are numerous holes in this idea. Feel free to tear it to shreds ;)

You could also use a QR code.

I'm sure even if there is no optical media, it'll support some sort of cart/memory card delivery. But fortunately for me, I don't care either way. They could not sell physical games at all and I'd still be on board. I'm like 90% digital as is on the 3DS and Wii U.

Lernaean

Banned
You can write to them, so saves go on there as well as DLC, depending on how much extra space there is.

That's actually really important. If you could have the add on content AND the patches on the cart, then you have the full game no matter if anything happens, including the servers not supporting the platform anymore. Your games will be complete and will last forever, like the carts from the past do today,

Oregano

Possibly? Although it doesn't seem to mention that here. Such a solution would also necessitate the installation of said kiosks and negotiating w/ retailers to implement them. I can also imagine lines of people waiting for data transfers would be somewhat annoying. I think the more likely solution is multiple SKUs. At least one disc-based and at least one HDD-based.

Wouldn't OS updates on cards require that as well though? You'd need to have some way of providing the updates.

Multiple SKUs is a possibility but it has the potential to create confusion and can bite them in the ass if they produce too much of one(like the Wii U Basic).

I also think if they do a disc-based console there is also the lingering question of how/if crossbuy would work with the handheld unless the MC worked as authentication or something.

For which bit? I'm trying to think of a way for retailers to be happy with a digital-only console.

Unless the cartridge was mostly for authentication. Still sell the cartridge for everything, but make it a piece of plastic with an NFC chip in it - like an amiibo. About $0.50 to manufacture, like an optical disc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You guys keep thinking downloadable, but they're going back to carts.

its been discussed to death. I still think carts+downloadable would work

Carts for retail sale and play as-is on the handheld NX at a lower resolution. Same Cart can be played in the home console, but if you're connected to the internet you can download a big update which adds higher res textures etc and basically updates it for a TV experience.

So benefits from an internet connection but doesn't require one.

nintendo already sells download cards for a lot of their 3DS and WiiU games in GAME stores in the UK. That plus other retail offers like amiibo figures and amiibo cards will help

Wouldn't OS updates on cards require that as well though? You'd need to have some way of providing the updates.

Multiple SKUs is a possibility but it has the potential to create confusion and can bite them in the ass if they produce too much of one(like the Wii U Basic).

I also think if they do a disc-based console there is also the lingering question of how/if crossbuy would work with the handheld unless the MC worked as authentication or something.

It's risky, which is why they may choose to only roll out certain skus in certain regions initially. We'll see, right?

The processor includes some type of authentication unit, but I'm still fuzzy on that.

And I'd imagine that the OS updates would be pre-loaded on the SD cards. The patent mentions the OS updates can also be downloaded right to the console. It seems more like a backup plan for those who truly have limited internet connectivity.

Schnozberry

Wow, this is a lot to digest. This is a radical departure for Nintendo if it's all of it is implemented. I wonder if retailers will get on board? What are the incentives for them? More space for high margin items like accessories, figures, and game cards? Better margins on hardware?

Nosgoroth

For which bit? I'm trying to think of a way for retailers to be happy with a digital-only console.

For user authentication at sales point. You take the game card thing to the counter, clerk asks for a QR that the Nintendo app generates, you pay, the store system connects to Nintendo servers, the game gets added to your account and starts downloading automatically at home, together with whatever store exclusive bonus they- *shudder*

Wonder if they're keeping a screen in the controller so they can put the DeNA smartphone games on the eShop or something. Nintendo's future is so strange

fernoca

I'm sure even if there is no optical media, it'll support some sort of cart/memory card delivery. But fortunately for me, I don't care either way. They could not sell physical games at all and I'd still be on board. I'm like 90% digital as is on the 3DS and Wii U.
Same here.
Only disc is Nintendoland and is permanently in there.

Have a 1TB HDD with over 50 games, and still have over 600GB left.

Cartridges would be cool though...and big-fatty full color booklets. :p

sinxtanx

the OS update delivery via card is just an example for a use of the card slot, and I think it is likely that Nintendo actually would sell retail games on SD cards that simply install to the HDD

REMEMBER: Wii discs came with OS updates for games that required certain OS versions

Cartridges are cool except for when there are literally 3 dozen copies of Ninjago DS in the bargain bin. Retailers eat that cost and then order way less cartridges for the next similar game.

The_Lump

Banned
For user authentication at sales point. You take the game card thing to the counter, clerk asks for a QR that the Nintendo app generates, you pay, the store system connects to Nintendo servers, the game gets added to your account and starts downloading automatically at home, together with whatever store exclusive bonus they- *shudder*

Oh I see, so in place of NFC chip with your account info? I guess so. I think NFC is a bit more flexible though, and probably more secure. You could link your console to your (NFC enabled) phone and just scan your phone at check-out to trigger a download to your account, for example.

Oregano

It's risky, which is why they may choose to only roll out certain skus in certain regions initially. We'll see, right?

The processor includes some type of authentication unit, but I'm still fuzzy on that.

And I'd imagine that the OS updates would be pre-loaded on the SD cards. The patent mentions the OS updates can also be downloaded right to the console. It seems more like a backup plan for those who truly have limited internet connectivity.

Wouldn't that be redundant without physical media for games? If you have the DD-only SKU then you have to have good enough internet and if you have the disc SKU you might as well have the updates on the disc?

It could make sense if the handheld was DD-only but if Japan's DD adoption is a concern it would be an even bigger problem for a handheld.

Also how would the SD Cards reach consumers: Given away at retail? Sold at retail? Would it be a separate card every time the OS updates?

Top Bottom