• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is Discontinuing the NES Classic in North America

Downhome

I really hate this. As a lifelong Nintendo fan I have been wanting one of these very badly. I'm terribly disappointed in this.

Jakoo

Nintendo's entire handling of this product has been very odd.

I have to guess that they could have sold 300% more of these if they just managed it's release better.

sanstesy

Anyone saying a SNES Classic wouldn't be as hot of a product doesn't know what they are talking about. Just because it sold less in its time doesn't mean it is less desirable. Everyone knows the SNES existed, a lot of people didn't experience it and the people that didn't experience it are very curious.

How they didn't position this thing with internet connectivity and basically make it a Virtual Console box for the casual market, I will never know. What a missed opportunity.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
They're going to do this shit every year. Either NES2 or SNES this year.

Super limited release from November to April. All hype for the Nintendo brand. These are never meant to sit on shelves.
You gonna compare this to Jordan's and yeezy's. That's your angle man?

oti

Banned
Why do they leave money on the table? This is a revenue stream separate from the Switch and doesn't compete with it either. This is for people chomping on Member Berries who want to hold a NES controller in their hand. What the fuck

Maybe they feel like Nintendo is back in the mainstream's mindset and instead of selling them a limited product (NES mini + controller is the revenue ceiling) they'd rather sell them a 2DS or 3DS? Or just opportunity costs.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This is leaving money on the table. I still need to get one. Is it just not worth the effort for them?

Either this is a lead-up to the switch "Classics" coming soon or this is them preparing to monetize this stuff differently/better (classics line of products, nes mini 2, snes mini, etc) OR this is just nintendo being nintendo again.

They want to sell you more expensive VC games.

How they didn't position this thing with internet connectivity and basically make it a Virtual Console box for the casual market, I will never know. What a missed opportunity.

This is exactly what it should have been. But Nintendo SUCKS at digital content management and services

I had a better chance of seeing a unicorn surrounded by fairies than I did finding this in a store.

As far as I'm concerned, this is like discontinuing something that didn't even exist.

Super jealous of you lucky lot that managed to get one though.

I legitimately can't think of a good reason why they would do this. If demand had slowed down and there were copies just sitting on shelves? Sure. But it's not even close to that point yet.

They only make money once per NES Classic sold. Every Switch sold gives them numerous opportunities to earn more revenue through software. Whenever they decided to release the VC on Switch the NES Classic would be cannibalizing some of those sales.

It was always going to be a limited run item, it was obvious when it was announced. They needed some extra source of revenue for Holiday 2016.

Pmsc.jpg

A big part of this item's appeal was the authentic controller and the look of the hardware itself.

But it'd be cool if Nintendo threw all 30 ROMS + the menu UI on a Switch cart and sold it for $60 this holiday. It'd be a huge seller. Call it The NES Classic Collection or something. It'd probably end up as one of Switch's best selling games.

mindatlarge

I feel like the NES Classic existed only to re-instill the idea that Nintendo products are scarce, as a way to boost Switch sales.
That has been my feeling as well. Like a pawn of sorts leading up to the launch of the Switch, designed around nostalgia and rarity, pulling customers back in to Nintendo's console space as a must-have, sooner rather than later.

LordKano

My take is that Virtual Console is launching soon and they don't want this better value to compete with what they'll offer.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't want them to fail but they make short sighted and stupid decisions constantly.

This wasn't one of them.

It got people talking about Nintendo again. People who left them behind. It got their name out there in the mainstream in a HUGE way. It make people pay attention to them. To the Switch announcement. To the Switch launch. To Pokemon. To the BRAND.

I had consumers preordering Switches because they thought they would be scarce like the NES Classic!

Now they have mainstream buying Switches, Zelda and tons of high margin accessories. Now they have people eating out of their hands again with Amiibos, different color joy con bullshit and more.

Sorry you can't see it, but it was genius. 100% Nostalgia bait toy and it worked.

Personally I think anybody expecting SNES this year is going to be disappointed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a second NES version with a different game selection (lots of overlap though).

And of course without the dev/debug mode.

Jcnet

Banned
I'm writing an email to nintendo commanding them to give me compensation and an apology, nintendo actually owes me a personal favor.. i played their games in the 80s they owe me. without me there is no nintendo.

marrec

Banned
Yeah I don't know anything about tech so. I just know that's what a Nintendo rep told TRU workers lol

Yea be assured that Nintendo rep was lying/taking out their ass lol

Factory space would have some merit, if the profit they were making on the NES Classic is outweighed by the need for additional manufacturing capability on the Switch. If the NES Classic factory can even be retrofitted to make Switches that is.

Figured it was meant to be a limited run item. Makes sense. That said, glad I got one back in December.

And playing NES games on the original controller and the little replica hardware really is a cool draw.

If anything, it makes me hope Nintendo releases SNES pro controllers for the Switch for SNES VC titles.

Persona7

Banned

Why would they want to support something for years when they wanted a quick one off holiday product?

Nosgotham

I'm writing an email to nintendo commanding them to give me compensation and an apology, nintendo actually owes me a personal favor.. i played their games in the 80s they owe me. without me there is no nintendo.

Yeah! Let's from a safe space for Nintendo fans!

boiled goose

good with gravy
That has been my feeling as well. Like a pawn of sorts leading up to the launch of the Switch, designed around nostalgia and rarity, pulling customers back in to Nintendo's console space.

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense. It was just a small experiment that was more popular than Nintendo ever expected.

It proved that they could monetize classic games. The problem is nes classic in a sense devalued them and separated them from their core business.

That's why it should have been an nes vc box tied to the same account that is tied to all Nintendo hardware. But Nintendo fails at these things.

Lothars

This wasn't one of them.

It got people talking about Nintendo again. People who left them behind. It got their name out there in the mainstream in a HUGE way. It make people pay attention to them. To the Switch announcement. To the Switch launch. To Pokemon. To the BRAND.

I had consumers preordering Switches because they thought they would be scarce like the NES Classic!

Now they have mainstream buying Switches, Zelda and tons of high margin accessories. Now they have people eating out of their hands again with Amiibos, different color joy con bullshit and more.

Sorry you can't see it, but it was genius. 100% Nostalgia bait toy and it worked.
It still is absolutely a short sighted and stupid move by nintendo but I am surprised that people preordered the switch off of the short supply of the nes classic and not that it was a new nintendo console that was coming out.

😂😂😂

post of the thread

Top Bottom