• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is removing games from my Wii U & 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

donny2112

I had been thinking of giving away a CN monthly game if one ever came up that I really wanted more people to play (*cough* Super Metroid *cough*), so it was really worrying me that your account might've been knocked out for that. Therefore, just called Nintendo Customer Support, and they said that there is nothing against the TOS about giving away codes. Selling codes is definitely against the TOS, but giving them away is A-Okay. I asked if I would need to provide any documentation of it, mentioned that if I did, I'd probably give it away on a forum (i.e. here), and he said maybe just keep the link to the giveaway just in case a question ever came up.

From that, would say that if the issue does come back that they thought you were selling codes, explain the situation (12K coins and not a thing worth spending them on!), show them the links to the giveaways, and it hopefully will all be fixed. :)

This. Basically the only reason to start this thread is to use anti-Nintendo action, which should be bannable.

This post is laughable, what the heck is anti-Nintendo action? You should have just said anyone who says something bad about Nintendo's policies and hurts your feelings should be banned.

I'm still waiting for this guy to come back and defend this statement.

OP, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, that really sucks. Hopefully Nintendo gives you a call back so this can be sorted out, assuming you've given us all the details, I don't see how what you did was wrong.

Well, I tried to register the game I had in my main account into my family account and it says the game has been already registered, pretty much sure the code becomes invalid once you register it. It would be too easy just exchange used codes and register them in family accounts.

No no, I'm not registering literally the same game twice. I am buying X game 2, 3, 4 times. Then using the code from each to register.

I am registering games that I bought physically and digitally for myself and then physical and sometimes even digital games for my niece and nephew too all under the family accounts.

Are you saying a family who buys 2 copies of the same Pokemon and registers them on a family club nintendo account is scamming Nintendo?

I'm saying that they reward coins for feedback, and you personally submitting multiple sets of feedback for the same game is on some small level compromising the system with junk data. In a way, so does giving out the codes to people who fill them out for games they don't own and have never played. It sucks and it's easy to think of the points as a reward for simply buying the game, but I don't think their reasoning for the ToS is completely nonsensical garbage.

The family sub-account system is there for different people within the same family to submit surveys and pool coins for games they both own. Not for one individual to register and submit multiple surveys for multiple copies of the same game.

Makonero

I'm still not very clear on this. Did you buy digital and physical copies of games 12 times and then input all twelve codes or did you buy digital and physical games 1 time each and then try to register those two codes for all 12 accounts?

Edit: Nevermind, answered above.

fedexpeon

Banned
You're making this about what you get away with. For Nintendo though, it's about what they're getting out of it. I'm just trying to come at things from their perspective to see how this may make some amount of sense.

I know, but I just dislike it when company is using a survey without any meaningful gain for the consumers, and brand loyalists are being pushy on why others should be answering honestly to increase their brand's benefits.

And right now, Nintendo is trying to use my survey as a highly valued consumer market research data point in figuring out why I and many others are spending so much money on theirs products, and how they can effectively using the right channel of marketing to get others in buying into their brand.
However, they don't treat anyone of us like a valued consumer of their products.
Nintendo is not doing a fair exchange for information based on economics value of the survey and time valuation.

Maybe I am still mad since my annual Platinum status hadn't award me with anything in these past two years. I am buying yearly calendar so my points don't expired on me...That's just sad.

I'm still not very clear on this. Did you buy digital and physical copies of games 12 times and then input all twelve codes or did you buy digital and physical games 1 time each and then try to register those two codes for all 12 accounts?

Edit: Nevermind, answered above.

Every first party Nintendo game for 3DS and Wii U I buy 4 times. Once digitally for my self, once physically for myself, once for my niece, once for my nephew. In some cases I buy the game physically and digitally for my niece and nephew. I've also received CN codes from other family members and friends as well.

TunaLover

Are we confusing "instance" of a game and multiples of it? Because if you registered multiples of the same game that should be fine.

I don't think they let you register the same code twice...
Exactly, it doesn't allow you register the same code twice (even in family account), the only way that OP was getting all that coins was registering different instances of the same game into different family accounts, which IMO shouldn't be against the ToS.

JKBii

So?
I put random stuff in the survey all the time. How old am I, where I get my information, and why I bought the product. I just put N/A, my friends will leave me, or Neogaf force me too.

I just want the coin since I don't believe in the feedback system, and the economic value being exchanged between Nintendo and myself is not of equal value for me to answer honestly.

If you are a true fan, I guess the valuation on improving Nintendo outweigh any economics factors in that decision to be honest.
I am just a casual fan, so my time is more valuable than doing a brand survey.

In that case, you're lucky they don't revoke your coins (I don't know whether it's in their ToS to do so, but since it essentially means you're getting something from them for free, it's in their interest to do so.

Nicktendo86

Really sucks op, hope they give you your stuff back with a friendly warning not to do it again. As far as they know all the physical copies could just be codes bought off eBay, so I see why they have done it. Heavy handed though.

fedexpeon

Banned
In that case, you're lucky they don't revoke your coins (I don't know whether it's in their ToS to do so, but since it essentially means you're getting something from them for free, it's in their interest to do so.

Good.
I don't use the coins, nor my online account like others.
My Platinum status has been useless since 2012.

Edit: LOL wut, for free? I bought the game, and my 2mins in filling out the survey does come with a cost.

I know, but I just dislike it when company is using a survey without any meaningful gain for the consumers, and brand loyalists are being pushy on why others should be answering honestly to increase their brand's benefits.

And right now, Nintendo is trying to use my survey as a highly valued consumer market research data point in figuring out why I and many others are spending so much money on theirs products, and how they can effectively using the right channel of marketing to get others in buying into their brand.
However, they don't treat anyone of us like a valued consumer of their products.
Nintendo is not doing a fair exchange for information based on economics value of the survey and time valuation.

Maybe I am still mad since my annual Platinum status hadn't award me with anything in these past two years. I am buying yearly calendar so my points don't expired on me...That's just sad.

To continue being the loathsome devil's advocate, the alternative to offering junk data or wasting your time honestly filling out a survey you don't feel adequately rewards your time spent, is to simply not fill out the survey at all. I agree with you. Rewards have been crap recently. The switch to all digital has made that even more painfully so. I haven't worked up the interest to input a single code since the start of the new year, and I've probably got enough codes sitting around here to hit platinum right now.

I think I've made my points though, so I'm going to exit the thread now cuz being the frustratingly shitty voice of reason is making me feel like a gross shill. Sorry for your trouble, TTH. Hope things get resolved in your favour.

JKBii

If you think there's no meaningful gain for the consumer, don't take the surveys. I take those surveys and do nothing with the coins. The rewards are mediocre but just filling out the survey and having my voice heard is enough of a reason. I started doing this after they removed the RPG elements from Paper Mario: Sticker Star because it did not get enough support from Club Nintendo surveys.

I think you're letting the anger from their mediocre rewards cloud your judgement. The rewards should be a bonus, not the goal.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'd be more inclined to get rid of console warriors with persecution complexes, to be honest.

This suddenly brought to mind the image of some sort of ancient Greek warrior, clad in an Atari 2600 "skirt" and waving a Wii Remote in the air.

I don't like this. What if I but a game, trade it in for whatever reason, the rebuy the game later? I also have children so buy games for them as well as myself.

Against ToS or not they need a better monitoring system than to let you have the awards and them abruptly remove the rewards/coins at some point in the future when it suits them. As someone who spends a large amount on Nintendo games this would be huge turn off should it happen to me.

Good luck OP. I may shoot them an email myself and voice my displeasure.

Eiolon

I bought someones Club Nintendo platinum reward this year and their NNID was deleted for whatever reason and I lost the game :( Last time I'll do that.

Banned
This suddenly brought to mind the image of some sort of ancient Greek warrior, clad in an Atari 2600 "skirt" and waving a Wii Remote in the air.
Wii remote for the sword, gamepad for the shield and virtual boy mounted on for the helmet.

donny2112

I'd be more inclined to get rid of console warriors with persecution complexes, to be honest.

tumblr_lxpbrn3HC01rn95k2o1_250.gif

Labrys

A friend gave me his Professor Layton code last year, the one you got with the Luigis Mansion promotion. If I'm understanding this right, if his account gets shut down, I'll lose access to the game?

JKBii

If OP was not punished for his actions, I wouldn't care. If OP illegally downloaded his entire gaming collection, I wouldn't care.

However, it doesn't make sense to support or encourage people complaining that they were punished for knowingly violating the system. That system is in place to help Nintendo make better games. We all want Nintendo to make better games.

donny2112

Entrecôte;127687196 said:
This needs to be a Meme ASAP, it's great ;)

Reporter: "Looking at the NPD sales for the past month, it looks like America took up 'Anti-Nintendo Action' by refusing to buy their latest console since nothing's come out since Mario Kart 8 three months ago. Back to you, Steve."

Sakura

Er, well OP, Club Nintendo is a reward programme mainly for people who complete surveys for games they purchase. You have to agree to the ToS to use the programme. What you did quite clearly violates the ToS.
It's not like they are taking away games you purchased from you, they are simply taking away rewards from their reward programme, because you violated the ToS, right? I can understand being upset, but it isn't exactly unfair.

Fey

Banned
ON TOP OF THAT SHIT THEY WON'T FUCING SEND MORE THAN 4 FUCKING COPIES OF LAYTON VS WRIGHT TO STORES

FUCK i hate this stupid company

I've been warning people here on Neogaf, you are not the first, some people tried to abuse the free credit and free game promo and got their account and games deleted.

Apath

If OP was not punished for his actions, I wouldn't care. If OP illegally downloaded his entire gaming collection, I wouldn't care.

However, it doesn't make sense to support or encourage people complaining that they were punished for knowingly violating the system. That system is in place to help Nintendo make better games. We all want Nintendo to make better games.
How is discouraging the purchase of more games helping Nintendo do anything, period?

Reporter: "Looking at the NPD sales for the past month, it looks like America took up 'Anti-Nintendo Action' by refusing to buy their latest console since nothing's come out since Mario Kart 8 three months ago. Back to you, Steve."

"fite me bruh"

1325271751_c0c81a2284.jpg

just having some fun lol

A friend gave me his Professor Layton code last year, the one you got with the Luigis Mansion promotion. If I'm understanding this right, if his account gets shut down, I'll lose access to the game?

No. It seems to only be affecting CN rewarded games. Those ones that you pay for using your virtual coin currency or have received by getting platinum/gold. An actual retail game like that should be fine.

Edit: Well that's what it sounds like.

TunaLover

It's a common practice here on gaf, people give away codes all the time. I got Mario Kart 64 that way, hope we'll be fine .__.

Oh, you was talking about eShop codes, nvm

Labrys

No. It seems to only be affecting CN rewarded games. Those ones that you pay for using your virtual coin currency or have received by getting platinum/gold. An actual retail game like that should be fine.

Ah okay, good to know! The less stuff to worry about the better.

Hes not in the EU, otherwise this wouldnt happen.

Nintendo EU does not mention anything about it in their terms and conditions, thankfully.

No. EU Club Nintendo mentions the exact same thing as NA Club Nintendo.
I don't understand why laws would force Nintendo to accept anything here. It's a reward program, you're not even entitled to get a Club Nintendo PIN when buying a product since it's not advertised on the box and games may or may not have them. If by chance you buy a product that has a CN PIN yet still manage to break Nintendo's ToS, why would the law care.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/club/en/terms.jsp

C. MISUSE OF CLUB NINTENDO.

You may not:
  • register more than once as a Club Nintendo member;
  • register the same Nintendo product more than once, unless expressly permitted by us;
  • register a product which was not lawfully purchased;
  • make use of Coins in any way other than for your own or members of your Family Account's personal use -- in particular, you may not sell, buy or auction Coins or transfer Coins to another account;
  • use or promote illicit technical aids in order to earn Coins, for example, to create, offer, distribute or use software programs or other means that create an automatic online interaction with Nintendo; or
  • sell rewards.
If we believe in our sole discretion that you misused Club Nintendo in any way, we may refuse the redemption of Coins and delete your Club Nintendo account, including the Coins you have earned.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Legal/Club-Nintendo-Terms-and-Conditions/Terms-and-Conditions-636028.html

5. Misuse of Club Nintendo

You are not allowed to:
  • register more than once as a member of Club Nintendo;
  • supply false information when registering;
  • register the same Nintendo product more than once, unless expressly permitted;
  • register a product which has not been lawfully purchased;
  • make use of Stars in any other way than for your personal use only; in particular, it is prohibited to sell or buy Stars or to transfer Stars to another person;
  • use or promote illicit technical aids in order to earn Stars, e.g. to create, offer, distribute or use software programs or other means that create an automatic online interaction with Nintendo or that create Club Nintendo PINs.
In case there is evidence and/or prima facie evidence that you do not or did not comply with any of the rules above, that you breach any of these Terms and Conditions or that you misuse Club Nintendo in any other way, Nintendo is entitled to refuse the redemption of Stars and to delete your account, including the Stars you have earned. In case of minor breaches, Nintendo will provide you with a prior warning of your non-compliance prior to deleting your account. However, Nintendo is not required to provide you with such prior warning in case of major breaches. A major breach corresponds to serious violations of important provisions of these Terms and Conditions. Important provisions include, but are not limited to, the rules listed above.

JKBii

Dude single-handedly bought more games from Nintendo in the past year than you've played in your entire life. I think he's doing his part to help Nintendo make better games.
:p

Hahaha true. I buy pretty much everything from Nintendo used. He was really subsidizing me when you think about it.

How is discouraging the purchase of more games helping Nintendo do anything, period?

I see what you mean, we just want to make sure the blame is laid for the appropriate reasons. OP is at fault for collecting those coins since it's again the ToS. Nintendo is not to blame for carrying out the punishment.

Nintendo is, however, also at fault for not building a system that lets them differentiate between the data they need from surveys and these coins. They should know OP is a single person and only count his data once. He is a huge champion for them, going so far as to give away coins for free to promote them.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Weird to read this kind of criticism directed towards a guy who admitted to buying 4 or 6 copies of every 3DS and Wii U Nintendo game. But yeah, keep on making Nintendo better :p

Sakura

Nintendo is, however, also at fault for not building a system that lets them differentiate between the data they need from surveys and these coins. They should know OP is a single person and only count his data once. He is a huge champion for them, going so far as to give away coins for free to promote them.

I think you have to consider that Nintendo rewards are very limited in quantity.
This guy had what, 12000 coins? He could get like, 8 Luigi statues with that many coins technically couldn't he? And then sell them on eBay to make bank. Or at the very least that would be 7 less statues for other people who have been saving up coins to purchase. That goes against the spirit of the reward program.
Now, I am not saying the OP is doing this, just that it makes sense to me why they do not allow people to farm codes.

JKBii

Weird to read this kind of criticism directed towards a guy who admitted to buying 4 or 6 copies of every 3DS and Wii U Nintendo game. But yeah, keep on making Nintendo better :p

It's not directed toward OP, it's directed to the guy who admitted to filling out surveys with junk data.

JKBii

I think you have to consider that Nintendo rewards are very limited in quantity.
This guy had what, 12000 coins? He could get like, 8 Luigi statues with that many coins technically couldn't he? And then sell them on eBay to make bank. Or at the very least that would be 7 less statues for other people who have been saving up coins to purchase. That goes against the spirit of the reward program.
Now, I am not saying the OP is doing this, just that it makes sense to me why they do not allow people to farm codes.

The thing is, if he set up 8 main accounts (one for each family member), and gave each person those rewards individually, it would be allowed. He is giving Nintendo more information by linking the accounts. They should appreciate that.

Farming codes is not a reasonable problem to stop. If someone wants 8 Luigi statues, they should be able to buy 8 Luigi statues. Nintendo should produce enough statues to meet the demand. It seems Nintendo bans account farming because they want one survey completed per game player, but they should let him indicate that a single survey is attached to multiple games so it doesn't screw up their data analytics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom