• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
So they're skipping TGS. it's so absurd that it sounds like a Nintendo plan.
Nintendo never presents or does anything at TGS. Why are people shocked by this?

Nintendo was always going to want the spotlight to themselves. They'd want distance from game shows and hardware announcements of competitors.

We're in a time now where apple reveals their new iPad or iPhone weeks from launch.

However, it is imperative Nintendo announces the NX before all the mainstream media is hyped on the influx of annual AAA games that start coming out from late October to Xmas.

Anything after say, October 20th and they are at risk of being ignored, quickly forgotten or an after thought.

Oregano

You're right, that's not what I was saying.
But a reveal before TGS would have allow third party to show NX games.

Unless, you know...

I'd have to imagine Japanese third parties would like to support the 3DS successor... then again I'm sure actually being able to announce and advertise games is something they look for in a platform.

John Harker: Dream Killer

sB7w6bd.jpg

Nintendo never presents or does anything at TGS. Why are people shocked by this?

Nintendo was always going to want the spotlight to themselves. They'd want distance from game shows and hardware announcements of competitors.

We're in a time now where apple reveals their new iPad or iPhone weeks from launch.

However, it is imperative Nintendo announces the NX before all the mainstream media is hyped on the influx of annual AAA games that start coming out from late October to Xmas.

Anything after say, October 20th and they are at risk of being ignored, quickly forgotten or an after thought.

Of course, I wasn't clear at all. But NX third party games at TGS would perhaps have made sense.

Banned
Of course, I wasn't clear at all. But NX third party games at TGS would perhaps have made sense.
Those likely would have been shown at the nx event and not at TGS. Or they will show their games at TGS and be allowed to put the NX logo in the trailers. Who knows?

It's not a big deal.

Eradicate

Those likely would have been shown at the nx event and not at TGS. Or they will show their games at TGS and be allowed to put the NX logo in the trailers. Who knows?

It's not a big deal.

It kinda is. Nintendo taking their sweet time is a problem too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The major issue with such a short time period is that it restricts the amount of time in which developers can announce and market their games.

Now, most of us don't really expect much in the way of third party support anyway so that may not be as much of a factor here but it still is a factor.

I doubt they'd miss TGS to then announce the very next week. For one it'd pretty much be fucking over any third party who wanted to show NX games at TGS.

Exactly. People complain about Nintendo not playing well with third parties but delaying the reveal is absolutely harmful to third parties.

If they already have devkits and have had for a while, wouldn't it make sense that they'd be working on marketing as well? Third parties do not need six months to market a game.

Oregano

It's not a big deal.

So third parties weren't planning on having any NX exclusives at TGS nor any NX demo units to show off their new games? I guess it doesn't matter then.

I guess third parties don't mind skipping every major gaming event for their games.

If they already have devkits and have had for a while, wouldn't it make sense that they'd be working on marketing as well? Third parties do not need six months to market a game.

It's exceptionally rare for a big game to announced and released within six months. The fact that the vast majority of games are announced further than six months before release would kind of suggest that yes they need six months to market a game.

But currently devs cannot even announce the games they are working on for the NX...

Marketing requires time, not just to work on marketing materials like trailers or promos, but to actually put out those trailers. I agree 6 months is more than enough time to market a game, but this was in response to suggesting even 3 months between reveal and launch, and that's cutting it close. You need a certain amount of time to achieve the target exposure for a particular product, and 3 months might not be enough depending on the product.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I wouldnt do any immediate count downs, I'm not even sure they are going to hit TGS now

Nintendo never goes to TGS.

But now it goes from "they are racing Sony to announce their console first" to "they might not even hit TGS"?

I'm really getting tired of this shit.

Oregano

But currently devs cannot even announce the games they are working on for the NX...

Marketing requires time, not just to work on marketing materials like trailers or promos, but to actually put out those trailers. I agree 6 months is more than enough time to market a game, but this was in response to suggesting even 3 months between reveal and launch, and that's cutting it close. You need a certain amount of time to achieve the target exposure for a particular product, and 3 months might not be enough depending on the product.

To add to this skipping tradeshows hurts smaller publishers/developers more. Sure Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest can get prime coverage at an NX unveiling event but smaller games are shit out of luck and they'll have been robbed of the chance to promote the game(s) themselves.

No.

Nintendo is out of the hardware power competition for three generations now, NX is apparently also a portable console, and rumours indicate we'll be lucky if it's as powerful as a Wii U. So, no.

Rumors (such as that in this OP) suggest that it is very unlikely to be weaker than the Wii U, so I'm not sure where you get your info.

If Nintendo actually are prioritizing power this time then the NX can absolutely run a game like the Witcher 3 with a Pascal Tegra chip. A Pascal based Tegra chip has a pretty wide range of power capabilities, but weaker than Wii U is on the very, very low end of what is possible.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's exceptionally rare for a big game to announced and released within six months. The fact that the vast majority of games are announced further than six months before release would kind of suggest that yes they need six months to market a game.

Except most games aren't actually marketed until close to release. E3 announcements come and go, but marketing doesn't hit until well closer to launch. Maybe a few huge games do, but most don't have commercials/ads/etc. 6 months from release.

3 months is more than enough time to market a product in 2016.

User Tron

Breath of the Wild looks fantastic but it's also been delayed at least two years in a row and it might even be delayed again.

That and Pokémon GO is mostly managed by other companies, Nintendo's involvement is relatively minimal which says it all really.

Both were pr wins for n regardless how they xame into being. N stock rose due go extremly, it was mentioned basically everywhere. If that was no pr win idk.

But now it goes from "they are racing Sony to announce their console first" to "they might not even hit TGS"?

The reason why it'd be nice to get an announcement before TGS is that third-parties would be able to showcase their games for NX (and ON NX), not that Nintendo would then bring their own NX games to TGS.

Except most games aren't actually marketed until close to release. E3 announcements come and go, but marketing doesn't hit until well closer to launch. Maybe a few huge games do, but most don't have commercials/ads/etc. 6 months from release.

3 months is more than enough time to market a product in 2016.

I agree with this, though. There's not much point in heavily marketing NX during the holidays if it won't be out until March, since the focus will be on products that are actually due for the big shopping season. And in that case it makes little difference whether games are actually given a ton of coverage until after the holidays. As was the case for Splatoon, I believe.

The kinds of people who are likely to buy in March are the early adopter types anyway. It's more important to prepare the product to have a good spring, and that's something that tends to happen during spring, not before.

That and Pokémon GO is mostly managed by other companies, Nintendo's involvement is relatively minimal which says it all really.

Nintendo licensing stuff out to others is a really big part of their future business strategy. I'd say the success of Pokemon Go reflects very positively on whether it's a strategy that is likely to pay off.

lenovox1

Yeah they could. Except it sucks. Ho whatever, this wait and secrecy is really becoming ridiculous.
And everyone will speak about neo.

Calm down. You're not going to give a shit about this after they eventually announce it. We're talking about a difference of weeks. It's not that big of a deal.

Schnozberry

TGS has been diminished for years. Anything of value that happens there for NX will happen behind closed doors. It would be nice to get information as early as possible just to calm the apoplexy around here, but it's not going to make a lick of difference to whether or not NX is a success, no matter what Apple or Sony do that week. The 90 days leading up to release are the most important for information blitzes.

Ck1

Banned
Maybe Nintendo asked if developers would hold off on announcing games until the reveal but I don't think they've necessarily forbidden them to. Especially since a few games have already been announced with NX support...

Eolz

A bit of this, there's quite the difference.
Welp, pack it up for a month guys, nothing is happening before TGS anymore...

Hydrus

I really haven't kept up with all the NX stuff lately, out of starting to lose interest, but I'm guessing there's a really good chance it's getting delayed until the holidays?

Banned
I really haven't kept up with all the NX stuff lately, out of starting to lose interest, but I'm guessing there's a really good chance it's getting delayed until the holidays?
The product is coming March 2017 tentatively. The rumored reveal of it was September before TGS. Now it's looking like it's gonna slip into October or late September.

So, do you think NX will be capable of delivering this kind of graphics?

Sorry for the shitty compression, I've just taken the screencap with Paint.

CqKHcCiWIAANSWJ.jpg

I see this pic and I can only think of Hyrule field.

I see this pic and even if The Witcher is a very good game I'm so happy that they went for something more special in their art style and artistic orientation.

Now if I think about power it's clear that NX will offer Nintendo a new way to think and build 3D games :)

ckfy63a

The product is coming March 2017 tentatively. The rumored reveal of it was September before TGS. Now it's looking like it's gonna slip into October or late September.

With all due respect, what changed between expecting an announcement next week for a reveal the week of September 12th (yesterday), to expecting a reveal in late September/October (now)? It seems like this is all baseless speculation from "insider" John Harker; maybe I'm missing something, but what are this guy's credentials?

Genuinely curious why we're putting any weight behind self-proclaimed insiders who claim to know details behind the NX *announcement of the announcement*. I mean, the press release is probably ready, someone at Nintendo can make it go live with the push of a button. As for the date of the event, that is also something that lower-profile third party devs, etc. would have no idea about, unless they're presenting at the reveal or something. Are we just assuming all these insiders have the clairvoyance to predict invitations from the future?

It's starting to feel like NX threads go through the five stages of grief multiple times a day...

With all due respect, what changed between expecting an announcement next week for a reveal the week of September 12th (yesterday), to expecting a reveal in late September/October (now)? It seems like this is all baseless speculation from "insider" John Harker; maybe I'm missing something, but what are this guy's credentials?
Clickable sticks.

John will have to clarify what he meant by his post before we jump to that conclusion. If he was told Nintendo was going to TGS but decided not to or delayed its unveiling then maybe we should go there.

Oregano

Maybe Nintendo asked if developers would hold off on announcing games until the reveal but I don't think they've necessarily forbidden them to. Especially since a few games have already been announced with NX support...

Again that only works if you assume every NX game is a multiplatform game. They can't exactly announce exclusives for a system that hasn't been revealed yet.

Genuinely curious why we're putting any weight behind self-proclaimed insiders who claim to know details behind the NX *announcement of the announcement*. I mean, the press release is probably ready, someone at Nintendo can make it go live with the push of a button. As for the date of the event, that is also something that lower-profile third party devs, etc. would have no idea about, unless they're presenting at the reveal or something. Are we just assuming all these insiders have the clairvoyance to predict invitations from the future?

It's starting to feel like NX threads go through the five stages of grief multiple times a day...

Lower-profile devs would definitely need to know whether it was revealed before or after TGS considering they'd probably want to announce some games at TGS. For a lot of small publishers an NX game could have even been planned as their big TGS announcement.

udivision

Did something actually change?

Did someone leak an image of a "How to Apply a Coming Fall 2017" sticker to the golden, 3D printed NX idols that delusional Nintendo fans have erected in their basements?

Or is this just more of the same speculatin'?

BY2K

Membero Americo
If Nintendo has trouble getting a reveal event together that they need to delay it, I'm very much scared for the NX.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I wouldnt do any immediate count downs, I'm not even sure they are going to hit TGS now

Well, there goes September. I'm starting to lose hope for it hitting March if they're having this much trouble with it.

Sorry, but I'm going to Team January reveal and H2 2017 launch if they can't reveal it in September. And I'll be holding off on buying it Nintendo can't get their shit together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom